• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burbank_

Sony fucked up the launch big time. No doubt about that.

I just bought the magnetic docking station a few days ago and i am very satisfied so far. the Magnets are very strong and the charging speed is surprisingly as fast as cable. It is much easier compared to having to open the flap every time I want to charge. IMO it was a worthy investment.

They should include the dock with the phone, it is kind of overpriced but very convenient. Much more useful than the smartband that my phone came with.

The phones here did not come with the noise-cancelling headphones, are they worth getting?

hey should include the dock with the phone, it is kind of overpriced but very convenient. Much more useful than the smartband that my phone came with.

The phones here did not come with the noise-cancelling headphones, are they worth getting?

They are ok ...you can live without them.

Anyone notice that the default live wallpaper changes colors hourly, like the PS3 did?

neat

They change color when you keeps scrolling.

Fezan

img.php

So after playing with s5 for a week couldn't wait any longer .

So my Galaxy S just broke the other week. I'm looking at the Z1s at Tmobile but if the Z2 is right around the corner maybe I will hold off. Does anyone know when we'll be seeing the Z2 in the US at Tmobile?

Le-mo

Anybody with a Xperia Z updated to android 4.4.2? I did mine today and the phone drains battery a whole lot faster and gets a lot hotter. There's a few seconds of delay when you hit the home button. Everything in general is slower than it was before. Not to mention the phone restarted on me a couple of times. Anybody else have this problem or is it just me? Going to try to see if I can rollback the firmware.

And_Boy

Any news on Z2 Compact? 5.3" is too big for me.

I'm so eager to buy Z1 Compact and the only thing that stops me is it's thickness.

Can anyone comment how Z1 Compact feels in terms of thickness (because every other new phone is slimmer)?

darkwing

How do you like it yourself (what phone do you have)?

She came from the Samsung S2 and was looking for a similar sized high end phone, z1c was the only one to fit the bill

I like it myself but was waiting for the z2,but ultimately went for the s5 because my telecom provider offered a nice subscription package for it

If only Sony didn't have supply issues for the z2 I would have gone for it

I think you have to handle the z1c in person to appreciate how Sony basically made a real mini version top of the line phone (during its time)

fuenf

I just wanna say thank you to everyone who took time and answered my questions about the Z2.

My Z2 is lying right next to me and is eagerly awaiting my data from the old Galaxy S2. Haven't had much time to use it yet (my contract will be activated early in the morning) but just by playing around I'm already getting accustomed to its size. In fact I already believe that the S2 was ridiculously small... oh how times have changed. :)

edit: great the desktop transfer tool crashed upon transferring the files to the Z2, I'm now giving the mobile version a spin but it looks off too. According to the app 1400 photos will be transferred whereas the desktop only wanted to transfer about 700...

My Dad went and got a Z2 on Saturday. We met up and had breakfast and we ended up on the topic of phones. He asked a few questions about my phone because he was due for an upgrade and though he liked his Galaxy Nexus he was thinking about something a little different. We ended talking about the more recent phones that came up and I mentioned the Z2, considering my brother has a Z1 and I have the ZL. He tossed around the idea of an HTC One M8 and the Z2... he ended up going for a Z2 and went to get it right after we were done. He got himself a beautiful purple Z2. He absolutely loves the phone. I got to mess around with it a yesterday and it is quite awesome. It feels really, really good and the screen is downright stunning. I was really impressed with it. And the speakers are fantastic. We played around with some music he put on it and I am completely impressed by it. It sounds really, really good. I'm super jealous of him now.

Fezan

Finally got my XPeria Z2 and let me tell you its a fantastic device. Feels very premium screen is better than M8 there are stereo speaker but they are pretty useless. Its very fast no visible lag which i even felt using S5. Absolutely fantastic device. And battery life is more than 7 hours with screen on

Negatives are slightly large. Finger print magnet some build issue. slight gap and off centered camera.

Mokubba

Is it worth waiting to see if these little issues get ironed out.

I would have bought one already if i could afford it but it seems it'll be better to wait it out for a bit longer.

Fezan

Is it worth waiting to see if these little issues get ironed out.

I would have bought one already if i could afford it but it seems it'll be better to wait it out for a bit longer.

If you are talking about minor physical issues than i don't think they will be ironed out any time soon. And then you may even wait for z3.
Seriously The minor physical issues are blown out of proportions. I had to look very specifically by inserting paper and flashing light on camera to see them. Regarding 4k issue. I don't think s801 was made to properly record 4k.

longdi

Banned
Hey if anyone is still using Z2, just to share something while i played around with the developer options.

By changing the animation scale, i managed to make navigating the phone felt really snappy, like almost m8 level snappy.

My settings:
Windows animation scale 0.5x
Transition animation scale off (this seem the most crucial in making the OS flyby!)
Animator duration scale 0.5x

Hey if anyone is still using Z2, just to share something while i played around with the developer options.

By changing the animation scale, i managed to make navigating the phone felt really snappy, like almost m8 level snappy.

My settings:
Transition animation scale off (this seem the most crucial in making the OS flyby!)

That's cheating...

Fezan

My settings:

yeah i tried it. but reverted it back. it feels much smoother and natural

Bold One

Anybody with a Xperia Z updated to android 4.4.2? I did mine today and the phone drains battery a whole lot faster and gets a lot hotter. There's a few seconds of delay when you hit the home button. Everything in general is slower than it was before. Not to mention the phone restarted on me a couple of times. Anybody else have this problem or is it just me? Going to try to see if I can rollback the firmware.

I do, the battery drain was really slow at first but its gone back to normal levels now.

as for speed, not really noticing anything different

Brandson

Picked up my Z2 phone from a Sony Store in Toronto on Friday. It feels like a big upgrade over my Galaxy S3. It screams quality. The screen is quite nice, despite not being OLED. The materials are also much nicer to hold than the plastic parts of Samsungs. Android feels really fast on it. It feels like the ideal size for a phone for me. It's too bad Sony appears to have so much trouble stocking these things in large numbers. I feel like general consumer awareness of this phone is quite low.

Some minor issues: they should have thrown in a magnetic charger adapter for micro usb in the box, and the camera lens should be more centered. It's pretty easy to accidentally put your finger into the field of view of the camera when holding the phone. The phone also sometimes gets quite hot while downloading/installing lots of apps at once, which is a bit disconcerting. It goes back to normal temperature fairly quickly afterwards.

I bought one earlier this week, after my faithful Xperia Mini Pro's touchscreen responsiveness bit the dust.

The Z2 has been phenomenal so far. I certainly miss being able to take notes without looking at the phone, but the UX is such a quantum leap over my 2011 three-incher. I'm one of the physical keyboard diehards, but on a screen this size, the issues I've encountered are minimal (fucking autocorrect, though). I'll be trying SwiftKey too now that it's free.

Best of all, I went through an entire day's work using nothing but the phone, engaging in Skype conferences, going over copy, doing some research, holding meetings.

So you can't remove the battery from the Xperia Z phones, Z2 included? Why? I always buy an extra battery so I can charge one while I use the other, and switch off when needed. Being non-removable is a big drawback for me.

BIGWORM

So, 100%, Sony decided to NOT release this phone in the U.S. market? I waited months for this to hit Tmo and finally settled on an M8 instead.

Sounds good dood. Thanks. Gonna do some more research between this and the G3 and make a choice from there. Sell my N5 in the process.

I bought mine on eBay a few months ago with no issue...plenty of people had...

At this time I would pass on the Z2 and get the G3 or wait for the Z3.

Sony really screwed up the US z2 launch...

Okay. So I gave up waiting for the One+ One and my network gave me a really good deal on the Xperia Z2.

So I went for it. Phone arrives. Phone feels mostly great. Screen is lovely, general build quality is great. Love the double tap to turn on. Love the waterproofness. Love the feel ... however:

- Too many ports. It clutters the sides up, and why is the sim located with the micro-usb cable? I.e The most commonly used port? Why doesn't the USB have single isolated port? In fact why isn't a magnetic charger adapter supplied with it? Also I'm terrified the port will fall/snap off. -1

- Turning it on, oh great. Wait ... what ... nooooooo BLOOOATTTTT Seriously Sony have bloated this thing to hell and back. What the fuck even the multitask screen. Even the hold home button screen! What the fuck Sony? Can't even uninstall it??!?! -5

- Camera. Oh wow looks great initially. But then every other photo gets a random purple tint? Thanks phone review sites, probably wouldn't have noticed before but the fact you always pointed it out makes it hard for me to ignore. Then we have the nice effects ... but wait so much stutter in the background image while browsing them ...?

- Vibrate ... and sound settings. So my vibrate sounds, wrong. It sounds like a drill with a near flat battery rather than a 'vibrate'. Then selecting ringtone or vibrate or silent strikes me as pretty unintuitive and hard to tell whats selected.

- Microphone. This is the last straw for me. Talking with my SO all week, all I hear is 'what?' 'hello?' 'I can't hear you there's something wrong'. So I call myself and leave a voicemail. What ... the ... fuck. It's cutting out frequently, muffled and just plain terrible. Right. So I go and disable all the noise cancelling etc. Nope not a difference. The microphone is fucked.

I'm sorry. I wanted it to go perfectly with my PS4 ... I wanted Sony to turn things around. But this is just too much for a premium level phone. I'd happily replace it for a fixed vibrate and sound quality. But with the bloat and UI Sony have added, that was the exact reason I left samsung.

Guess I'll probably just wait for the One+ One

Kyoufu

Purple tint? What do you mean? The camera is amazing. Microphone problems? No issues here.

Two things I don't like about the Z2 after 2 months is that the device can get really hot and even though the OS notifies me of unused apps I can't uninstall them, like Facebook and Keep.

Besides that it's great.

Purple tint? What do you mean? The camera is amazing. Microphone problems? No issues here.

It's mainly in the videos. But it definitely crops up. I'd upload a video clip, but I can't be bothered.

I don't believe the microphone is designed that way. But the fact it's fucked on mine doesn't inspire much confidence in Sony's mobile phones.

Two things I don't like about the Z2 after 2 months is that the device can get really hot and even though the OS notifies me of unused apps I can't uninstall them, like Facebook and Keep.

Besides that it's great.

You can disable both after you uninstall any updates.

Watched a bunch of Sony vs Samsung 4K tests and in two of the videos the Xperia stopped recording after several minutes because it was overheating??

Has anyone here experienced this on their Z2?

Bumpers

I have the phone, love it so far however overheating disabling the use of the camera is pretty annoying.

Another small complaint is that it's rather quiet to power my headphones at a volume I'd like. My Nexus 4 was the same and requried me to root and install a different kernal to get a boost in volume from the headphone port, however I thought a Sony device would be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom