• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how people crap on the verge review but they kinda got it right with the screen. It's difficult to see out side...Z1 is actually better when viewing outside.

Kyoufu

It's funny how people crappie on the verge review but they kinda got it right with the screen. It's difficult to see out side...Z1 is actually better when viewing outside.

I fixed that with the Lux brightness app. The default brightness slider isn't very good.

It shouldn't, but I will post the battery life results for this full charge when it reaches 1% over the next day or so.

I heard from developers that it's not really good to let the phone battery completely die and it's better to charge it when it's low when you can...dunno the truth of that though...

Got my hands on one yesterday and don't like it at all. At least from a design perspective. Considering the size, the flat back makes it uncomfortable to hold, especially with the thin ridge that sticks out underneath that goes around the outside. Should have had a curved back like the ZL.

Got my hands on one yesterday and don't like it at all. At least from a design perspective. Considering the size, the flat back makes it uncomfortable to hold, especially with the thin ridge that sticks out underneath that goes around the outside. Should have had a curved back like the ZL.

The size is the biggest draw back.

leng jai

I'm surprise Sony didn't make any effort to adjust the design of the Z2, it's literally just a slab of glass still. While the M8 isn't perfect design wise HTC at least tried to improve on it and make it feel significantly better in the hand.

vivftp

Previous interviews have possibly hinted that Sony will be either moving away from, or expanding outward from the omnibalance design

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/02/2...ticking-to-a-single-design-for-future-models/

I believe other online "insiders" have indicated that the next flagship might also have a more rounded design.

I personally wouldn't mind a return to the Arc design if it meant they could put the camera behind the screen, meaning less overall bezel.

I'm very curious to know when the Z Ultra successor will be announced. The Z Ultra itself was announced late June, so hopefully we're not too far off. Or, I wonder if they'll make the next Ultra in the same design language as the next flagship, and launch them together.

Ah well, still very interesting to read all these impressions on the Z2 in the meantime. I do like the direction they're going, and the fact that they seem to really be listening to customer feedback with each new generation of device.

Linius

I hope a new flagship Z model will be around in early 2015. Got my Z at the release in 2013 with a two year contract so I wouldn't mind a new one next year. But I have to say, my phone still performs perfectly and does everything I want to do with it. The desire of getting a new phone every year is gone. And I don't feel like I'm behind much on newer flagship models either.

vivftp

I hope a new flagship Z model will be around in early 2015. Got my Z at the release in 2013 with a two year contract so I wouldn't mind a new one next year. But I have to say, my phone still performs perfectly and does everything I want to do with it. The desire of getting a new phone every year is gone. And I don't feel like I'm behind much on newer flagship models either.

Nah, Sony seems to be going for the 6 month release cycle strategy.

Don't feel bad though that Sony would be releasing a new device so relatively quickly. If they didn't do it, then someone would release a similar type of device anyways with newer tech.

It's interesting to see how far they came in just a year from the Xperia Z to the Z2. Can't wait to see where they're at in another year.

Ty4on

I heard from developers that it's not really good to let the phone battery completely die and it's better to charge it when it's low when you can...dunno the truth of that though...
There is protection for fully discharging because doing so would kill the battery. 0% in the software doesn't mean it is actually at 0%.

Lithium ion batteries last longer if they're kept cool and not being stressed with full discharge cycles. High charges mean high voltage which slowly kills many notebook batteries that are always plugged in. That is why you shouldn't leave it plugged in every night, especially when it takes less than three hours to fully charge the battery. It is best to store them at around 50% which is why every device has that charge out if the box.

Batteries in hybrid and electric vehicles have to last much longer and they do that by not using all the capacity. Volt and Leaf and Prius Plug In. Some stuff about battery health.

My Android battery life readouts are impossible to read because I only accidentally go over the 90% threshold required to reset it. I took a screenshot when I had over 6 days of battery usage :p

Nah, Sony seems to be going for the 6 month release cycle strategy.

Don't feel bad though that Sony would be releasing a new device so relatively quickly. If they didn't do it, then someone would release a similar type of device anyways with newer tech.

It's interesting to see how far they came in just a year from the Xperia Z to the Z2. Can't wait to see where they're at in another year.

I think the 6 month cycle is stupid. Samsung, HTC and lg don't need to release newer tech first and they seem to be doing just fine.

Radec

Same. The only thing i hate about my Z is its flaps.

Wish it have that magnetic port for charging.

Linius

Same. The only thing i hate about my Z is its flaps.

Wish it have that magnetic port for charging.

Yeah my flaps are suffering after 1+ year of usage. That magnetic charging thing seems great. And the docks they sell for it look good too. Hopefully they keep that for future Z models.

vivftp

I think the 6 month cycle is stupid. Samsung, HTC and lg don't need to release newer tech first and they seem to be doing just fine.

I don't find it stupid at all. It keeps their products fresh in the public eye, and ensures they always have the best of the best hardware to put in your flagship products.

Samsung technically has a 6 month device release cycle with the S and Note series, only they go about it by having 2 seperate categories of deviecs rather than refreshing the flagships. Same type of strategy, just a different implementation.

I mean SOMEONE is gonna be making a high end device based on newly available hardware. It might as well be Sony to try and drive new sales rather than hoping their several month old device still appeals against the newer, shinier products.

I don't find it stupid at all. It keeps their products fresh in the public eye, and ensures they always have the best of the best hardware to put in your flagship products.

Samsung technically has a 6 month device release cycle with the S and Note series, only they go about it by having 2 seperate categories of deviecs rather than refreshing the flagships. Same type of strategy, just a different implementation.

I mean SOMEONE is gonna be making a high end device based on newly available hardware. It might as well be Sony to try and drive new sales rather than hoping their several month old device still appeals against the newer, shinier products.

That's all fine and dandy, but they had no rights to release new tech then not focus on other component of the phone. Example Z/Z1 realese with newer chip but ignored that the screen they use are horrible.

Its OK to release a flagship every 6 month, but don't use consumer as a beta tester. Seriously why did they even release the Z1 with horrible screen, horrible camera software and a bunch of other issues, they could just waited and made sure it was a polish product. instead they release it using marketing term like "triliminus" display to trick consumers.

They finally did release a polish device with the Z2, but its Still have issues like 4k videos....oh yeah and supply...

So yeah it seem like Sony just want to release something first..but its not really working quite well..

leng jai

Now that Z2 is slowly filtering out to Australian stores there seems to be some complaints about dreaded "gaps" on the top right corner of the screen. Haven't really seen any mention of it here.

Now that Z2 is slowly filtering out to Australian stores there seems to be some complaints about dreaded "gaps" on the top right corner of the screen. Haven't really seen any mention of it here.

I heard about the gap issue, that's one of the first thing I looked for when I got mine...luckily my unit is perfect .

Kyoufu

No gaps on mine either, but 4k video recording does cause the unit to overheat.

I don't even care about 4k video but it's inexcusable when other flagships don't have the same problem.

I got this phone a couple days ago. The only (problem?) I'm faced with is that it's slippy as hell. Put the phone down on the couch or wherever, and it just flies off of it's own accord.
I've bought a couple of cases to try out, so hopefully they'll stop the slipping when they arrive.
I've also bought one of those magnetic charging things. They really should have included a wire with it on in the retail box with the phone =\

Kyoufu

I got this phone a couple days ago. The only (problem?) I'm faced with is that it's slippy as hell. Put the phone down on the couch or wherever, and it just flies off of it's own accord.
I've bought a couple of cases to try out, so hopefully they'll stop the slipping when they arrive.
I've also bought one of those magnetic charging things. They really should have included a wire with it on in the retail box with the phone =\

I just use the cable that came with the phone. Simples.

I don't even care about 4k video but it's inexcusable when other flagships don't have the same problem.

That's why the whole 6 month flagship is stupid. Sony tries to rush features that not polished.

I just use the cable that came with the phone. Simples.

I have been :) Just figured having a nice little charging stand for my bedside table would be nice. That and I don't really wanna put too much stress on the rubber seals, cause I'm pretty bad with water and phones, so the less chance of breaking a seal and water being able to get into its innards, the better.

spwolf

at some point people will realize that 4K video shooting is demanding and that even real camera's have limit before they overheat.

As to other phones, Samsung S5 has 5 minute limit when recording 4k, and Note 3 just overheats and shuts down after 5 minutes... Z2 lasts between 5 and 7 minutes before showing overheat message.

If big and expensive P&S camera's have this problem, it is nothing that is going to be "solvable" in Z2... It is the way it works.

And other phones have same "problem", which is not really a problem but limitation of current hardware.

I just did a 10 min 4k video....of a wall.

So far as much as I complain...the unit I got is pretty beastly!!

No gaps, no dead pixels or no flaws at all. Let's see...um its a finger print magnet! Dayam you Sony!!!

Got mine yesterday and enjoying it so far. Didn't have time to fully test it yet partly because my micro-SIM haven't arrived yet, but here are my first imperssions.

Size and build quality
Before byuing this phone I owned Galaxy S2 and though that Z2 would be too gigantic, but turns out it doesn't really feel that big. It's nicely balanced and feels good in the hand, i can operate it with one hand without much trouble. The back isn't slippery and allows solid grip.

Volume rocker and power button are a bit hard to press, but not uncomfortable.

Display
The display isn't useless in the daylight, it's not worse than my Galaxy S2 or any other phone i used to own. With brightness set to highest level i had no problems reading the display.

Camera
It's good. I have a decent DSLR so i know what i'am talking about. The pictures are sharp with good colors (except for oversaturated red). You can get a nice bokeh when shooting macro. 4K video is useless. I was able to shoot for 2 minutes before it overheated (i did shoot a lot of photos just before that though). The fact that the camera only allows up to 8 MP images in auto mode doesn't matter at all, it's enough.
The camera can compete with cheap compact cameras for sure.

Here are a couple of links for full res 8 MP images
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4

Got mine yesterday and enjoying it so far. Didn't have time to fully test it yet partly because my micro-SIM haven't arrived yet, but here are my first imperssions.

Size and build quality
Before byuing this phone I owned Galaxy S2 and though that Z2 would be too gigantic, but turns out it doesn't really feel that big. It's nicely balanced and feels good in the hand, i can operate it with one hand without much trouble. The back isn't slippery and allows solid grip.

Display
The display isn't useless in the daylight, it's not worse than my Galaxy S2 or any other phone i used to own. With brightness set to highest level i had no problems reading the display.

Camera
It's good. I have a decent DSLR so i know what i'am talking about. The pictures are sharp with good colors (except for oversaturated red). You can get a nice bokeh when shooting macro. 4K video is useless. I was able to shoot for 2 minutes before it overheated (i did shoot a lot of photos just before that though). The fact that the camera only allows up to 8 MP images in auto mode doesn't matter at all, it's enough.

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4

Nice review. Wow an s2 to a Z2 is a huge jump!

fuenf

Size and build quality

Display

Camera

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4

thanks for the impressions. Did you take the photos with auto or manual mode?

I'm still using an Galaxy S2 and desperately need a new phone. I'm currently undecided between the Z2 and S5. In terms of size and feel I prefer the S5 even if the difference isnt as big as the internet led me to believe. I wanted to buy the S5 today but the faux chrome framing put me off for the time being...

The Z2 looks great but I still have a few concerns:

In the store it looked like the edges of the bezel / frame are prone to scratches / having stuff rubbed off? Is it still (jeans) pocket friendly? Are the front and back resistent enough to carry it without a case? Unfortunately I accidently drop my phones quite a lot, did anybody accidentally drop test the Z2?

thanks for the impressions. Did you take the photos with auto or manual mode?

I'm still using an Galaxy S2 and desperately need a new phone. I'm currently undecided between the Z2 and S5. In terms of size and feel I prefer the S5 even if the difference isnt as big as the internet led me to believe. I wanted to buy the S5 today but the faux chrome framing put me off for the time being...

The Z2 looks great but I still have a few concerns:

In the store it looked like the edges of the bezel / frame are prone to scratches / having stuff rubbed off? Is it still (jeans) pocket friendly? Are the front and back resistent enough to carry it without a case? Unfortunately I accidently drop my phones quite a lot, did anybody accidentally drop test the Z2?

That plastic framing is the phones weeks spot to an overall solid phone. It seem like it can easily get scratched. That's the reason I got the black color instead of white...

Kyoufu

That plastic framing is the phones weeks spot to an overall solid phone. It seem like it can easily get scratched. That's the reason I got the black color instead of white...

Isn't it aluminium? (ignore this if you're referring to the S5).

The only fault I have with the design is the sharp edges. Makes long call sessions a little uncomfortable for my palm. Besides that it's leagues better than anything Samsung has put out.

Maybe the rumoured Galaxy S5 Prime will put an end to the cheap design Samsung is notorious for but we'll see. As it stands, I'd never go back to a Samsung phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom