• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear these great impressions.

I have a Z1 and love my phone !!! Best smartphone in my opinion.

I'm just a little sad they wont release the Z2 in Canada (for now)... I want to upgrade at the end of the year, would be great if i can get the Z2 !

Faith

I just ordered a Z2 in black. My Galaxy S3 is driving me crazy!

Hopefully everything will be just way better.

Kyoufu

I just ordered a Z2 in black. My Galaxy S3 is driving me crazy!

Hopefully everything will be just way better.

Everything is definitely way better. S3 -> Z2 is a big upgrade.

My favourite thing about the Z2 so far has to be the battery life.

S7BC72A.png

Faith

I have a question about the camera. Is there a 16:9 photomode with manual options for ISO, whitebalance etc.?

Raknar

Neo Member
Can you guys tell me about wifi recption quality which is pretty dodgy on sony hardware some times.

When I first got the phone, the WiFi kept dropping connection. I spent about an hour trying to fix it; and in the end, I sorted it by disabling the routers WPA2 key and turning it back on again. I don't understand why that worked, but it has had a solid connection to my router since then.

I have a question about the camera. Is there a 16:9 photomode with manual options for ISO, whitebalance etc.?

Yup. On manual you can select 16:9 aspect ratio, change the ISO and choose from a few different white balance presets.

antipod

Got my Z2 today. I had been able to renew my phone contract for a while but was leaning back and forth between the Z2 and the M8 for quite some time until I was able to chose. It was the camera that finally made me make the decision because I'm not that impressed with the one on my One (M7, that is now retiring to ROM playground / development phone).

At first I wasn't really liking the design and it's 'squareness'. Had only played around with a Z1 earlier, which I never really got the feel for but really, after having fiddled with my Z2 now for a couple of hours I'm digging it more and more. It really is a beautiful phone, the screen is really good - though I had to change the white balance for it to make white white and match my One's screen, and judging by the small amount of time it has been used (and by all of you others testament) a damn great battery time.

Also just ordered the magnetic dock by impulse from reading this thread before typing this. :)

Now to find a good case for it...

dannethmps

Neo Member
Couldn't resist, ordered one today after having a play with this the m8 and S5 this one just felt the best overall phone for me personally.

longdi

Banned
after some time with Z2, im happy with the update from S2 to Z2. Sure it is too big for my trousers pocket, but the build quality is stunning, very strong solid block, with the cool feeling metal on the sides and that hard power button, i love how Sony refines it from experience with slight curvature on the sides to make it look less blocky. It is very classy looking to go along with M8 more contemporary look.

Some tips i think it may be useful for new owners.
-buy the charging dock or a magnetic cable
-set up Xperia Connectivity -> USB Connectivity -> Wireless Media transfer, paired with your home wifi. (you need install Sony PC Companion to your PC)
Once done, you will no longer need to open the flaps to transfer your files, just direct copy and paste from your PC wire-lessly. I think with it, the process is even faster than taking out your mico-usb cable, opening flaps, locating usb ports on your PC, plugging in..etc..you just dive back to the same menus.

-tweak your greens and blues in the white balance settings to even out the red hues, turn off X-reality, and enjoy the really nice colors that is due to Sony choosing to use wide color gamut tech in Z2.

Chromax

Has anyone bought a unlocked Z2 and shipped it to the US? Any sites you guys can recommend with a decent ship time?

spwolf

http://youtu.be/SS5DlQIhLTM

Erica video on Z2, S5, M8, Z1U screens. I agree and i repeat, Z2 has the best colors out of the 3 android flagship today

it is good that people with access to test equipment are posting review... famous blogs proclaiming how Z2 screen sucks really got on my nerve - i think Verge 6/10 for screen not being up to par, without giving us ANY objective information or testing results.

In 2014, if you are going to make some claims on quality of something you better test it like Erica does there.

Now we know without the doubt that Z2 has the best screen that is offered on any phone out there.

spwolf

Sony is making available a number of premium apps and experiences, worth $350, available free of charge to Xperia Z2, Z1 and Z1s owners. Xperia Z2 owners will be able to download the following via the Xperia Lounge app. The offer closes on 31 July 2014.

• Garmin, Full Suite [Xperia Z2 only]
• OfficeSuite Pro Full version
• Box 50GB for life
• Evernote premium, 3mths
• Bitcasa 1TB storage, 3mths
• 10 Xperia themes
• Social live premium, 1mth [Available from 1 June to 30 June 2014]
• Three additional games and apps

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/05/01/premium-app-offers-available-to-xperia-z2-and-z1-owners/

Garmin offer sounds good.

Schrade

Wow. Thank you so much for posting that video by Erica. I love it when people can explain all the differences between the technologies and actually make it understandable what the differences are.

Think I will subscribe to her channel for more.

kudoboi

A Spiderman game is also free for those in Singapore and on StarHub.

What is funny though is that the game isn't optimised for Z2 at all. It is pretty laggy and jumping crashes the game

Yes, the Z2 Battery is a beast compare to my Z1..I can already tell even with 1 day use.

Oh I didn't realize that it came with a noise cancelling headphone with mic. Sweet....

darkwing

why did Sony have manufacturing shortages for this phone :(

they could have sold a ton when they sold it a week after their reveal

hitsugi

I cannot believe the battery life results people are posting with this phone.. more than double the N5's screen time.. easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom