• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's E3 show was awesome

makaveli60

Today I was playing the mission in GoT that was demoed at E3 2018 and went back to watch if there are differences/downgrades and I found the video with the flute player before the gameplay and I remembered how awesome that whole show was.
I remember Sony showed 4 killer exclusives and I wondered if those games were the first nextgen games then. I know that I was not alone who thought that those games seemed inpossible on PS4.
Yet all of them delivered. Granted, I haven't played Death Stranding yet, but based on the videos, it was not downgraded.
Anyway, I made this thread because I want to know if I'm really in the minority who enjoyed their show. I really liked the concept of the different gaming themed rooms as well. I remember it was mocked to hell and were hated by many, but I never understood why. Was it the lack of new announcements? Or people were expecting the PS5? I'm sure many of these people have a different opinion now, seeing how much this year sucked regarding game events.

Edit: forgot to include 2018 in the title. If any mods see this, please...

Last edited:

Bridges

Personally I thought this show was terrible, regardless of how any of the games themselves turned out in the end. I was no fan of the long-winded musical numbers at the expense of discussing/providing context to the product. I didn't think what they showed of Ghost of Tsushima was particularly engaging, and the funneling from one room to another was confusing and felt unnecessary. In my eyes it was one of the most forgettable conferences they've ever held.

I much preferred the recent PS5 digital showcase

Bolivar687

Banned
ullaqld.jpg

supernova8

Banned
Personally I thought this show was terrible, regardless of how any of the games themselves turned out in the end. I was no fan of the long-winded musical numbers at the expense of discussing/providing context to the product. I didn't think what they showed of Ghost of Tsushima was particularly engaging, and the funneling from one room to another was confusing and felt unnecessary. In my eyes it was one of the most forgettable conferences they've ever held.

I much preferred the recent PS5 digital showcase

Yeah for a moment I thought we were approaching Arrogant Sony Mk2. Fucking hated that music stuff.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Ah yeah, that E3 when Sony closed with a Japan Studio + From Software announcement.

Was just about to shit on my pants when it turned to be just Deracine.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why does it hurt you? If what they do they do well then they get praise for it. Simple as that.

Relax man. It doesn't hurt me. It's just we're seeing a lot of blog posts on the forum lately praising something random. At least it feels more like blog posts than something to truly discuss.

makaveli60

Bunch of pathetic butthurt Craigs ITT.

OP, I realized Sony will never do an E3 like that again because they too realized that the average gamer have poor taste in aesthetics and artistic presentations.
Which is a shame, but at least there are DOZENS of us who appreciate it :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The_Mike The_Mike But I think I reasonably explained why I made the thread. I'm really interested in why was that show considered so bad. I would like to understand others' viewpoint about it.

Yoboman

The whole issue with that presentation was it felt like they were more focused on the experience of the few hundred people in the theatre than the millions watching. I mean they even had an ad break to change theaters mid conference

It was poorly executed especially after how good every conference they'd had up until then was

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Which is a shame, but at least there are DOZENS of us who appreciate it :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The_Mike The_Mike But I think I reasonably explained why I made the thread. I'm really interested in why was that show considered so bad. I would like to understand others' viewpoint about it.

I understand there are hardcore Fanboys on both sides here, and I kinda forget we have an upcoming generation change (you don't really feel it as a PC gamer as its not the same big deal there).

While your post is somewhat a blog post, I can understand you want to talk about it. It's just. I'm used to see on this gaming forum that people talks about news etc.

Theres just been so much damage control lately, from the secret sauce drive to Sony should and will counter Microsofts price (which is plausible, but we don't know yet). Maybe your post just came under the same category for me.

Also got a little "triggered" by the post I quoted, in the sense that I wanted to post a little funny note. It wasn't hostile at all or anything. Was just hard to resist a little joke :)

makaveli60

The whole issue with that presentation was it felt like they were more focused on the experience of the few hundred people in the theatre than the millions watching. I mean they even had an ad break to change theaters mid conference

It was poorly executed especially after how good every conference they'd had up until then was
Okay, showing ads might have been not the best idea. But as I remember, Control was also revealed during one of these breaks, and I also really liked that trailer.

makaveli60

I understand there are hardcore Fanboys on both sides here, and I kinda forget we have an upcoming generation change (you don't really feel it as a PC gamer as its not the same big deal there).

While your post is somewhat a blog post, I can understand you want to talk about it. It's just. I'm used to see on this gaming forum that people talks about news etc.

Theres just been so much damage control lately, from the secret sauce drive to Sony should and will counter Microsofts price (which is plausible, but we don't know yet). Maybe your post just came under the same category for me.

Also got a little "triggered" by the post I quoted, in the sense that I wanted to post a little funny note. It wasn't hostile at all or anything. Was just hard to resist a little joke :)
Okay, no problem.
As a sidenote, I'm not a fanboy of any company, though I don't hide my opinion which is that MS sucks since around 2010, while Sony is on a roll since around 2009-2010. Between 2000 and 2010 Xbox and Xbox 360 seemed like awesome consoles made by gamers for gamers, and since then it is like it has been hijacked by corporate men who have no clue about gaming and gamers. I hate what Sony does currently marketing wise, but at least they are constantly producing the type of games I like (single player, story centered, technically cutting edge, cinematic, and the usual, yep).

Minus Death Stranding, the games they showed turned out amazing. But, I HATED that format. It was long winded and kinda boring with all the musical performances.

I love the most recent format from June when they stick to the games and keep dropping these bombs one after another until I forget to breathe. That is the best Sony.

makaveli60

Minus Death Stranding, the games they showed turned out amazing. But, I HATED that format. It was long winded and kinda boring with all the musical performances.

I love the most recent format from June when they stick to the games and keep dropping these bombs one after another until I forget to breathe. That is the best Sony.
So it seems it was hated mostly for the same reason I really liked it.
As MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima said, unfortunately not many people are acceptive of this artistic approach

So it seems it was hated mostly for the same reason I really liked it.
As MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima said, unfortunately not many people are acceptive of this artistic approach
I was genuinely shocked to see the negative reaction around it. It was beautiful to see and hear those flutes, the amazing presentations of TLOU II, God of War, and GoT, and the bombastic one-two-three-four punch combo of Death stranding, etc.

What a fitting way to end their E3 tradition :messenger_bicep:

makaveli60

I was genuinely shocked to see the negative reaction around it. It was beautiful to see and hear those flutes, the amazing presentations of TLOU II, God of War, and GoT, and the bombastic one-two-three-four punch combo of Death stranding, etc.

What a fitting way to end their E3 tradition :messenger_bicep:
Indeed. I really miss E3 and now that you said it, I agree that it was really a fitting end. Let's hope that it was not final ending though.

Long-ass wind instrument sections = when MS unveiled real life cars alongside Forza. On its own for an enthusiast of said content or for people there live, sure, great, but it’s anywhere from boring to strange for the rest of the streaming audience. The games themselves were good to great but everything around it and the pacing is why people didn’t like the event.

thelastword

Banned
Yeah, this was one of my favorite shows from Sony of all time.......

I think there was alot of effort and talent that went into this show and all of the games shown there were unique gems that are loved today by many factions and have all done very well in reviews and at retail....

In prior E3's, Sony came on the stage and spoke about sales numbers and financials, people said boring suits were on stage, bla bla bla. At E3 2018 Sony themed four different locations based on 4 great games and people still complain.....That orchestra every year, the flute player and the banjo performance were just awesome.....Four themes, four great games...Nuff said

Gustavo Santaolalla
Screenshot_336.png

Cornelius Boots
jzhnthtrp0411.jpg

To these two musical legends, We Remember....I actually researched these guys after E3 2018....Awesome performances all round...

Vawn

Banned
I've never really cared for all the E3 pageantry, whether it's Sony's orchestras or Xbox's smoke machine and driving cars on stage.

Who has the best games? That's ALL I care about.

Today I was playing the mission in GoT that was demoed at E3 2018 and went back to watch if there are differences/downgrades and I found the video with the flute player before the gameplay and I remembered how awesome that whole show was.
I remember Sony showed 4 killer exclusives and I wondered if those games were the first nextgen games then. I know that I was not alone who thought that those games seemed inpossible on PS4.
Yet all of them delivered. Granted, I haven't played Death Stranding yet, but based on the videos, it was not downgraded.
Anyway, I made this thread because I want to know if I'm really in the minority who enjoyed their show. I really liked the concept of the different gaming themed rooms as well. I remember it was mocked to hell and were hated by many, but I never understood why. Was it the lack of new announcements? Or people were expecting the PS5? I'm sure many of these people have a different opinion now, seeing how much this year sucked regarding game events.

Edit: forgot to include 2018 in the title. If any mods see this, please...

It was awesome and there last showcase with Kena, Akithia, Ratchet ps5, Spiderman, GT, etc for next gen was great too no matter how many people try to downplay it. Great titles, variety and gameplay was shown.

You know they say "when you can't beat them they start telling lies"

MiguelItUp

At first I was like, "The last one?! REALLY?!" Then I remember that WASN'T E3 and that you were referring to a couple of years ago and was like, "Oh, oh yeah." Lmao.

I've been to every E3 Sony conference since 2013.

My favorite confenreces that I've attended were 2013, 2016 and most best of them all 2015. 2018 was horrible. 2014 was boring too.

spectyre

Yeah that's when I lost interest in TLoU2. I loved the first game but when the first thing they show is a long cut scene of Ellie and some chick with a big nose making out @ a barn dance I knew the game wasn't for me.

Hunnybun

The show itself was obviously bizarre but I've always been completely bemused why anyone cares when the actual games they showed were so spectacular. It was just a minor nuisance, no big deal.

My only real complaint was that the 'deep dive' into Death Stranding turned out to be nothing more than a trailer, really. I still had no actual idea what the game was.

FranXico

The 2018 press conference? No, it was not good at all.
You can argue they had great first party games demos, but the show was terrible.

makaveli60

Yeah that's when I lost interest in TLoU2. I loved the first game but when the first thing they show is a long cut scene of Ellie and some chick with a big nose making out @ a barn dance I knew the game wasn't for me.
Yeah, this is another topic and a valid argument, but the game itself and the show with the themed room and music were still awesome, IMO.

makaveli60

BTW, those who just leave laughing reactions... care to elaborate what is so funny or are you just triggered Xbox fanboys whose feelings are hurt about anything positive regarding Sony?

GymWolf

Sony always has the best showing.

Yes they chat about bullshit for too much long but they always show 2-4 long gameplay of their big games.

Unfortunately the latest shows were mediocre but this year was fucked to begin with, i want the E3 back next year.

thelastword

Banned
Sony always has the best showing.

Yes they chat about bullshit for too much long but they always show 2-4 long gameplay of their big games.

Unfortunately the latest shows were mediocre but this year was fucked to begin with, i want the E3 back next year.
I don't think E3 will be back as you knew it.....Sony is saving a tonne of money not doing elaborate shows with ochestra's, musicians, props, paying for venues, room and board food, lighting and presentation equipment, travelling bills and the million other cost implications that comes with these things........That money can best go to a studio...

Then you see how many views a controller reveal had, you watch how the PS5 form factor or any of the Sony videos have racked up views and it makes sense to continue to do things that way or even to do live streaming to showcase their wares....I imagine the show today will be huge relative to views and discussion. The PS5 hardware breakdown, the OS breakdown will be massive as well and generate all the buzz/interest necessary, all the dialogue and discussion that is warranted, all the necessary discussions that will propel all of forumdom and social-media-dom to speak about what is shown. Word of mouth will spread. In essence more people can be exposed to PS since all their presentations are so social media and youtube focused. You realize now, even non-gaming sites are getting involved in the discussion, like dominoes etc.....Gaming is definitely getting more exposure due to the presentation channel.

E3 has been a great spectacle, but it has been declining for years, all the reasons that made attending an E3 great was being diminished and the cost vs the returns was not that great as it was mainly hardcore gamers watching and attending E3 anyway. I think now that discussion and marketing is done via social media, consoles have a chance to reach much more persons, more casuals, more casuals that eventually become hardcore players......It's time to expand the console market, we need to go beyond 100 million units at best...or 300 million combined. There are too many people out there in the world, not to pursue larger demographics....The biggest downside to E3 was that you could spend all this money and effort in presentations and people would just say "this show was boring, I rate it an F", "More boring suits" or where they are just there to meme out a section of E3 which translates to shame and disdain for the company, gamers won't even buy their games, they'll refer to the meme. It was just too much work, effort and money for too little gain, except for certain feel good moments for certain dissections of fans when a mike drop moment happened, but these were so few and far between.....I only remember..

PS2 will be $299 mike drop
PS4 more powerful at $399 and "this is how you share your game" thanks....

I don't think setting up a stage for that is all that necessary anymore...Mike drops can happen with a simple youtube video. It still and only boils down to what impresses the gamers, whether you spend million and do it on stage or whether you do it on youtube or via livestream, will still harness the appropriate discussion, hype etc....perhaps even more now...

Below is a mike drop youtube video.....No E3 stage or anything...

makaveli60

I don't think E3 will be back as you knew it.....Sony is saving a tonne of money not doing elaborate shows with ochestra's, musicians, props, paying for venues, room and board food, lighting and presentation equipment, travelling bills and the million other cost implications that comes with these things........That money can best go to a studio...

Then you see how many views a controller reveal had, you watch how the PS5 form factor or any of the Sony videos have racked up views and it makes sense to continue to do things that way or even to do live streaming to showcase their wares....I imagine the show today will be huge relative to views and discussion. The PS5 hardware breakdown, the OS breakdown will be massive as well and generate all the buzz/interest necessary, all the dialogue and discussion that is warranted, all the necessary discussions that will propel all of forumdom and social-media-dom to speak about what is shown. Word of mouth will spread. In essence more people can be exposed to PS since all their presentations are so social media and youtube focused. You realize now, even non-gaming sites are getting involved in the discussion, like dominoes etc.....Gaming is definitely getting more exposure due to the presentation channel.

E3 has been a great spectacle, but it has been declining for years, all the reasons that made attending an E3 great was being diminished and the cost vs the returns was not that great as it was mainly hardcore gamers watching and attending E3 anyway. I think now that discussion and marketing is done via social media, consoles have a chance to reach much more persons, more casuals, more casuals that eventually become hardcore players......It's time to expand the console market, we need to go beyond 100 million units at best...or 300 million combined. There are too many people out there in the world, not to pursue larger demographics....The biggest downside to E3 was that you could spend all this money and effort in presentations and people would just say "this show was boring, I rate it an F", "More boring suits" or where they are just there to meme out a section of E3 which translates to shame and disdain for the company, gamers won't even buy their games, they'll refer to the meme. It was just too much work, effort and money for too little gain, except for certain feel good moments for certain dissections of fans when a mike drop moment happened, but these were so few and far between.....I only remember..

I don't think setting up a stage for that is all that necessary anymore...Mike drops can happen with a simple youtube video. It still and only boils down to what impresses the gamers, whether you spend million and do it on stage or whether you do it on youtube or via livestream, will still harness the appropriate discussion, hype etc....perhaps even more now...

I hate it, but you are right, sadly. Seems I'm getting old. I miss those times when E3 was so magical, we could only read in magazines about the things they showed there. But that's another topic.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So we are stuck with dorito boy and his shitty show for the near future?

tenor.gif

Top Bottom