• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Indie Love-in: Why their Gamescom Strategy was Legit

I thought you said that Sony was going to announce a ton of games at gamescon because they've been holding so much back?

It didn't happen and I doubt it ever will.

Really? You think it never will? Both teams at Naughty Dog aren't going to make new games? Both teams at SMS? Are they sticking with the PS3? Polyphony is calling it quits after GT6 hits the PS3? Japan Studio is shutting it down after Knack and Puppeteer? Quantic Dream is all done after Beyond? San Diego isn't making any more MLB games...? Bend has been silent for almost two years because they are making psp games?

Totally seems likely. I think you're on to something.

prwxv3

God, you're annoying. Even with people completely destroying your BS argument, you still keep going forward.

It's like he wants too eat crow. Remember he is the one that insisted that the xbone would have BC and The Last of Us enemy AI was fake (before release)

And it's more hilarious now because the Odds of Sony having nothing is next to zero.

i don't think i even want a PS4 this fall until Sony show's me Nathan Drake reading a passage from a journal to his son in a 5 second teaser coming holiday 2014.

then and only then will i know they will be having big budget titles in the future past infamous.

Sony is doing something that most people are overlooking. Do you know what that is? Making good on the promise to be the best place to play. The console is offering a variety of experiences that should suit just about any gamer. You can be a casual or a hardcore gamer and find a game that you would like to play on the console. That type of variety will only lead to greater sales, which will lead to more variety and help stave off the monotony that the game industry is becoming. I just want to play good games. I don't care who makes it. I don't care if it costs $50 million to make or $3. Make it fun and I'll be there.

There's like what? 4 to 8 big, AAA exclusives that can come in a year? Sometimes 2? Maybe 10 at most?

The mainstream is fed by many small streams that all have their own communal congregations. That's where multiplatform and digital arcade-stye/indie games can come in. Why not have a 100+ games a year that can appeal to many types of players and consumers all the time, but not all of them all the time... rather than only offering what may or may not appeal to those people who would otherwise have bought nothing on month [x]?

A pop star may sell 1-3 million and break records, but there's still hundreds of millions who didn't buy that, and are out there buying a bunch of albums that will push 10-100k instead.

selling 400€ pieces of hardware to play games that run on modest PC hardware and are available on cheaper console alternatives it's not how i would do things. they seem to neglect (or are being neglected) by the big third parties. being the first to have exclusive BF4 maps sells alot more than having Transistor debuting on your console.

i hope i'm wrong, since i have the damn thing pre-ordered and keep going back and forth on cancelling it and buy one 2 or 3 years down the line cause right now there KZ, DC at launch and inFamous only comes 2014. not sure it's worth the investment.

I'm curious - how would you do things?

Nafai1123

Banned
So right now you're saying it's a possibility that they don't have any big titles after infamous?

AM I EATING CRAZY PILLS WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND HERE?!?!

OH GOD I'M BLIND I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO SEE A SUNSET EVER AGAIN WHY WOULD THIS HAPPEN TO MEEEEeeee.....oh wait I just had my hands over my eyes.

Amir0x

Banned
Really? You think it never will? Both teams at Naughty Dog aren't going to make new games? Both teams at SMS? Are they sticking with the PS3? Polyphony is calling it quits after GT6 hits the PS3? Japan Studio is shutting it down after Knack and Puppeteer? Quantic Dream is all done after Beyond? San Diego isn't making any more MLB games...? Bend has been silent for almost two years because they are making psp games?

To be fair to noobasaur, since everyone is jumping on him, I did personally believe Sony would reveal one or two of their biggest projects for PS4 at Gamescom, simply because they have so many left to announce, I figured it only made sense. Since I am unsure what counts as part of that 20 first year exclusives (by the way; fantastic break down of your thoughts on the subject, salromano), so maybe Shadow of the Beast counts as one. The lines are getting blurry, but I think that's a GOOD thing :D

But the fact is that there were a metric fuckton of game announcements from Sony at PS4, and many of them are exclusive: Resogun, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Rime, Shadow of the Beast, for example. Rime and Shadow of the Beast definitely have a bigger budget as well, so where is the line? And again I'd ask: why does it even matter? Why is budget so important to people?

edit: upJTboogie is DEFINITELY being sarcastic dude lol

kadotsu

Banned
i don't think i even want a PS4 this fall until Sony show's me Nathan Drake reading a passage from a journal to his son in a 5 second teaser coming holiday 2014.

then and only then will i know they will be having big budget titles in the future past infamous.

Yes! I, too, only buy consoles for the long term waiting prospect. This gen was the best because of titles like The Last Guardian, Agent and Versus XIII.

Mmmmmm Starbound. I loved Terreria on PC such a addicting game. Any news for a release date on starbound for PC? regardless I'll probably have to double dip once it's out for ps4.

JaggedSac

I'm glad there are good indie titles being made for the PS4. Hopefully once the MS indie program rolls out in full force, they can begin porting their games to the Bone, and hopefully it will be quick and easy since the architectures are so similar. Indies are pretty much free to both companies minus some dev kits, so...why not make it as easy as possible to get their games on the system.

Do people still believe that because sony is loving indies they're not making any big AAA games? Such a stupid argument. I'm sure all their big 1st party devs are doint nothing for ps4 lol.

casmith07

I also see this strategy as a way for Sony to keep a close eye on these developers to see if they can find some future potential for a proper PS4 game and a possible contract.

Great thread btw.

This. It's like their own personal "minor leagues."

I am looking to indies to even out the gaming space which has been dominated by cookie cutter shooters this gen.

I get a real PS1 vibe from everything going down with PS4.

We are all down here working on our tans! ;)

Right. If your argument is that Resogun isn't gonna sell 10 million copies and move PS4s my reply is "yeah, no shit." That's not the point. The point is that Sony has all the same shit that MS has. The biggest games this fall on both platforms will be FIFA/Madden/CoD/Watchdogs/AC4/BF4. Forza will do well for MS and Killzone will do well for Sony. So we are basically at a wash at this point. Now you add in the indie games *on top* of this and I fail how anyone can possibly see it as a negative. I can see being indifferent to it if there's never been an indie game in your life you've enjoyed - but how is it negative?

If sony said "we're not gonna let activision release CoD this year, instead you get Don't Starve" I could understand people throwing a shitfit. But getting CoD and Don't Starve on the same platform... what's the problem?

Excellent post as usual Mortimer. The way I see it, from now until The Order: 1886 releases presumably next August or September, I will always have something to play on PS4. I just can't say the same with X1, even with a couple more 1st party launch games and Titanfall next spring.

Do people still believe that because sony is loving indies they're not making any big AAA games? Such a stupid argument. I'm sure all their big 1st party devs are doint nothing for ps4 lol.
after the critical acclaim for the last of us, naughty dog, like the rock after beating hulk hogan, felt like they have nothing left to achieve in this business, and they quit.

the news will come out on Friday, they're doing movies now.

SiRatul

This is getting hilarious. Some are really thinking that the company with the most first party studios and some of the best in the whole industrie aren't gonna make AAA games for their own system anymore?
Just cause we don't know doesn't mean they don't exist.

First it was "PS4 has no games!" and now it's "PS4 has no first party AAA games!".

daoster

Sorta, but the indie games haven't attracted people to buy a Vita either. People still complain about the major games not being on there and are looking for big announcements. As great as indie games are, they do not draw in the number of people that regular full release titles do. Indie games still cater to a niche audience and that is a reality at the moment.

The difference is that Sony is not getting any big titles for Vita, but other than an exclusive here and there (Titanfall), they are getting all the big tiles for the PS4.

PS4 owners know they're getting the next Call of Duty or GTA or Battlefield, in addition to first party titles that haven't been announced yet (Like Uncharted or God of War)

Vita owners don't have that benefit.

To be fair to noobasaur, since everyone is jumping on him, I did personally believe Sony would reveal one or two of their biggest projects for PS4 at Gamescom, simply because they have so many left to announce, I figured it only made sense. Since I am unsure what counts as part of that 20 first year exclusives (by the way; fantastic break down of your thoughts on the subject, salromano), so maybe Shadow of the Beast counts as one. The lines are getting blurry, but I think that's a GOOD thing :D

Yoshida commented a bit on this

"It's a luxury for us not to announce these games we have in development, that we do not feel the need to do that to support the launch of PS4."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/24/46...o-keep-a-steady-flow-of-post-launch-ps4-games

I think they know that many of their studios have a lot of pressure on them to deliver something that blows people away visually. Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica specifically have that pressure. ND was just another really good studio when they were entering this gen. But now they're viewed by many as being the most technically talented studio in the industry, and they're one of the most praised studios in general. With this gen Sony was knocked off balance and seem to try to compensate for that by showing a bunch of games before they should've been shown. I think they realized that the strategy wasn't really good for them or the studios that had to put together something early.

Let's call this the Iwata Theory, but there's a line of thinking that says that you can only convince consumers en masse to pick up your hardware if you can provide gaming experiences that cannot be found elsewhere.

You can see this with arcades, and how consoles became as powerful as arcade machines (or at least adequately powerful), arcades had to come to rely on "gimmicks" that couldn't be easily replicated in a home environment. This is why you see so many DDR and racing games in modern arcades. It's clearly the driver behind Nintendo's consoles having unique gimmicks, so that their games can't be easily copied on competing platforms.

Traditional consoles provide this differentiation through raw strength, providing the best power to cost ratio available.

The "problem" with using indie games as a major leg for your platform to stand on when your console's primary differentiating feature is raw power, is that these indie games rarely if ever utilize the full effect of this power. It leads to games that don't differentiate your platform.

How many posts have we seen of, "But we could have these games on PS3/360, why are they next gen exclusive?" Well obviously the answer is that they've been paid to be exclusive. But you run the risk of creating an atmosphere of not needing the newest console if you feel most of what is being done on it could be replicated adequately elsewhere (mobile, or Steam, for example).

Another good example of this effect is Wii U's Gamepad. A resounding complaint is that most games don't use it to differentiate themselves from other versions of the same games, and a cavalcade of "why bother?" posts.

So I think that from a console adoption standpoint, pushing indies isn't terribly useful.

PLEASE NOTE: I love indie games and spend a lot of money on such games. They display a lot of creativity, charm, and variety lacking in the giant studio productions. Having the games is definitely a great thing players, and they help smooth over release schedules. I'm not knocking indie games in any way. I just think they won't help drive traditional power console adoption.

Anyway, all i know is I've spent more time on the binding of isaac than any big AAA game in the last few months. Except for maybe TLoU..So whatever bring on the indies :p

Bundy

Banned
We are all down here working on our tans! ;)
Aw yissssss!
MLB - The Show on the PS4.
Think about it!

kjt4.jpg

Do we actually know if Rime or Shadow of the Beast will get a full retail release or are digital only? I thought we just know that they exist. The fact that they didn't specifically call them digital only games (to my knowledge) when so many of the rest of the games during the conference where unashamedly labeled just that makes me think they have bigger plans for them.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I was under the impression they were. Apologies if I misrepresented those games. You're right though, we barely got any info so it's hard to say.

That said, even if they are digital releases, does that change their importance? Some digital games are now going on to sell millions. Last of Us charted 3 million so far or something (i don't know), and Minecraft sits pretty at 20 million. Certain people have started to say they don't even think Minecraft counts as indie anymore due to that :p

In short: Why are we placing any inherent value on a retail game versus a digital game in an era when digital only can often sell a shit ton more than retail games? And hell, why does that matter at all?

It kinda does change the importance. That's not to take away anything from Minecraft, but that's more of a unique situation rather than the norm. It would be like pointing out Angry Birds as an example of why everyone should instead be focusing on mobile games. Sure there can be some big success, but what's the typical situation like?

We are still unfortunately, at this time, have a market that plays much bigger emphasis on a regular major release over a digital indie release. It even showed at that conference where they would point out games and names, and there was very little reaction because those people didn't really know who they were. So the importance really comes from who does it speak out to, how many people does it speak out to, and what is to be gained from it. Focusing on the bigger picture, Sony needs to be constantly talking to the larger number of people and not just the niche. Certainly still focus on the niche to some degree, but not at the expense of the larger audience.

It has been said that individual sales are often the most important metric of all when determining a "killer app" or a "system seller." This certainly has elements of truth to it, but I think there is often something people neglect to consider in such a discussion. Sometimes a game by itself may not be enough, but the preponderance of quality and varied gameplay types suggests a healthy ecosystem. And it may be that healthy ecosystem that itself is the killer app - the idea that no matter what type of game you're into, you know the system will be offering something for your tastes.

To me I haven't been more excited about a gen transition than this one due to the emphasis on indies. To me it's a Renaissance in this industry. And that IS my killer app, the healthy ecosystem.

I think a variety of games is a good thing. I think it's healthy and helps attract the widest audience possible. My feeling with the Gamescom announcement is it felt too much like it focused on Indie games which meant it talked to a smaller audience and somewhat ignored the bigger one.

I think it's great that Indie devs are getting some of the spotlight. God knows many of them deserve it. I just think from a strategic standpoint, too much focus is not a good thing for the bigger picture.

I said this somewhere in another thread, but another problem with the focus on these other games is often, they don't warrant a new system. They could easily be done on the current gen and at this time, especially with the talk that consoles might be on their way out, you need good reason to get people excited about justifying the upgrade to a new hardware platform. That's another reason why something that shows off the system is beneficial at this point in time.

Yeah, but that's another thing that has me excited about this gen (despite Microsoft's issues). It seems Microsoft has invested heavily in new studio development and first party enhancement, and that can only mean great things for potential games output this gen. Can you imagine an industry with THREE dominant first parties vying for superiority? I *shudder* with the possibilities :D
I think it's great that Microsoft finally woke up to do it but the problem is that stuff takes time to establish, to get a team working well together, to build technology, and so forth. So despite Microsoft doing it, they are still behind Sony on this front and I think Sony's focus on first party development toward the end of the PS2 and throughout the PS3 is going to be a great advantage over Microsoft for the near future at least.
Well yeah, but what I mean is that even though technically Sony may have one or two less first party offerings, the effective result is not much different: both are supply constrained for the holidays, both are selling to a small audience, and those one or two extra games are going to mean little by the time the systems have enough units after the holidays to go around, and by that time Sony and Microsoft will both be having new games that garner the headlines.

Let me be clear: It's a good thing Microsoft is trying to come out swinging at the game, and it's a good thing they have that retail game advantage, no matter how minor or major. But the effective result of having those games is going to be the largely the same whether Sony and MS had the exact same amount of games, or if they both had only one first party selection available at launch.

Well I think the thing is, since third parties are on both platforms, it really is the first party and exclusives that stand out as people look for reasons to get one platform or the other. So I think those one or two games, even if the audience getting them at launch is limited, can go quite a ways when the pickings are sparse over the course of the next year and when more systems are plentiful and stocked after the holiday season. The lack of titles makes the exclusives that much more meaningful I think.

Oh, me too. Oh god, me too. The shit I've heard about that is coming for PS4 has me basically #dead from anticipation. But... I understand strategically, I have to grit my teeth, and appreciate the other element this strategy has allowed: indies to take the stage and bow. I really appreciate this :)

Don't get me wrong, I think your OP is great and getting people excited about Indie games is a good thing. I just think from a bigger picture and business strategic standpoint, unfortunately Indie games still cater to a niche and small market so I find it questionable that they would focus on them without at the same time at least teasing something or giving something for the bigger picture and at least reassuring that there is something beyond launch.

Right. If your argument is that Resogun isn't gonna sell 10 million copies and move PS4s my reply is "yeah, no shit." That's not the point. The point is that Sony has all the same shit that MS has. The biggest games this fall on both platforms will be FIFA/Madden/CoD/Watchdogs/AC4/BF4. Forza will do well for MS and Killzone will do well for Sony. So we are basically at a wash at this point. Now you add in the indie games *on top* of this and I fail how anyone can possibly see it as a negative. I can see being indifferent to it if there's never been an indie game in your life you've enjoyed - but how is it negative?

I only said it was a negative in how they strategically convey the message to the masses. I wouldn't call it a complete wash either since I feel the launch line up favors Microsoft, but even ignoring that, it still is about the message which has been obviously a big deal with how Microsoft dropped the ball early on in that regard. But things change quick and Sony needs to keep the advantage for as long as they can.

Excellent post as usual Mortimer. The way I see it, from now until The Order: 1886 releases presumably next August or September, I will always have something to play on PS4. I just can't say the same with X1, even with a couple more 1st party launch games and Titanfall next spring.

Sony's indie push is going to pay off the most during year one. Part of the reason for that is Microsoft finally wising up (though the dev kits won't even be ready by launch so games are a year+ away)... and part of that is that the indie "bubble" is bound to burst at some point. I don't think indie games will ever go away but their popularity will go through the same ups and downs that everything else does.

Butttttttt....... the most overlooked aspect of the indie push that you touched on is that year one of every console ever is filled with long periods of time where there is no software. The Wii U was so barren of releases that it was like a party when Runner 2 came out. Sony is going to be able to fill in all of those voids with downloadable games. Microsoft is not. Now... if you're the type of dude that can play 1000 hours of one game and be happy - the xbox one and Titanfall is a great choice. I don't begrudge those people one bit. But if you're looking for variety and to have far less software droughts... the PS4 is going to wipe the floor the xbox one for most of 2014. And then by fall '14 you will see HUGE games by both MS and Sony. Because at that point the systems will have the install base to support them.

Amir0x

Banned
Yoshida commented a bit on this

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/24/46...o-keep-a-steady-flow-of-post-launch-ps4-games

I think they know that many of their studios have a lot of pressure on them to deliver something that blows people away visually. Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica specifically have that pressure. ND was just another really good studio when they were entering this gen. But now they're viewed by many as being the most technically talented studio in the industry, and they're one of the most praised studios in general. With this gen Sony was knocked off balance and seem to try to compensate for that by showing a bunch of games before they should've been shown. I think they realized that the strategy wasn't really good for them or the studios that had to put together something early.

Wow, so they don't even count many of these games as part of that first year 20 exclusives? Jesus, Sony has a lot to announce lol

But yeah, you make a great point. Developers constantly complain about the 'demo crunch' around major trade shows where they have to try to push something together, even when it's often not really in a ready state, and then gamers like us dissect it and start pretending like it represents the game in a final state.

The developers at Evolution have dealt with nothing but bullshit about DriveClub since that 35% E3 build, and yet the Gamescom build - only two short months later - was already drastically improved.

Paskil

This is the most excited I have been for a new generation. I fully support the indie push and easily, two of my most anticipated titles are Galak-Z and Transistor. I am just as excited for those two games as I am for Infamous and Destiny. Given the option with indies, I will always purchase them on PSN over Steam/GOG/Amazon etc (unless the port is garbage or the game works significantly better with M/KB).

These games by the indie community, reminds me of the time when I first got into gaming on my Amiga and arcades weren't all closed down.

I've grown rather disillusioned by the traditional mega publishers with their constant need to nickel and dime me with microtransactions and retailer specific pre-order bonuses, so I welcome the rise of the indies and self-publishing.

NIGHT-

Best graphics/tech and indie development is a huge reason why I love pc gaming. I'm glad that ms and Sony are moving a lot indie support to their new consoles

TODAY'S INDIE DEV IS TOMORROW'S AAA DEV

This is the most relevant bit I think. Not only a AAA dev, but potentially a dev sitting under the Sony umbrella with access to all the best technology and support.

The other side of the coin is todays AAA dev, is tomorrow's indie dev. Companies like EA don't make games, the talented people who work there do. Once they leave and want to do their own thing? They'll know they have a viable place to do it.

I look at it this way:

X1: Major AAA titles

PS4: Same major AAA titles, but a boatload of smaller indie games as well.

Also, I really don't care which platform sells more, I just want compelling content. The "indie love-in" has already produced more games that I want than all of the AAA dig wagging has from all three platforms combined.

Also, how cool is it to see stuff like this? They definitely want games on their platform.

Shahid is really voracious when it comes to getting new indie games on PS platforms.

:D

the opposite.

come out guns blazing and, in the 2nd or 3rd years, slowly faze out the big releases and introduce more in-house indie games.

What you fail to realize is that "the big guns" mean different things to different people.

I would honestly buy an X1 for a game like Below (before I learned it was coming to other platforms) but would never buy one for Halo, Gears, Forza, or Fable.

I bought a 360 for Viva Pinata, and bought a vita for my gf because she wanted to play Hotline Miami.

Top Bottom