• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

Moneal

They just had a 5 year old game chart on NPD, BC is single handedly responsible for that. So yes it is translating into sales, it also helps lock people into the Xbox ecosystem since they can still play their old games.

a 5 year old game that sells for $10, sure it translates into sales. just not console or sales that actually make anyone money.

I just can't handle this "out of the jail pass" that Sony has. They can say this kind of stupid shit and still be on top.
There's even the people that defends it.

I don't know if it's that cut and dry, but you would think that with the success that they're seeing and Microsoft making a legitimate effort, their direct competition, that they'd be more open to this sort of thing.

The idea of being able to play your entire 360 and One library on Xbox consoles moving forward is extremely attractive.

Purest 78

They just had a 5 year old game chart on NPD, BC is single handedly responsible for that. So yes it is translating into sales, it also helps lock people into the Xbox ecosystem since they can still play their old games.

BC certainly didn't help Sony keep PS2 owners on ps3. Ps2 had arguably the best games line up ever BC did absolutely nothing for it.

BC is not a bad thing It's only positive. I just think people Overestimate it's important to the masses.

a 5 year old game that sells for $10, sure it translates into sales. just not console or sales that actually make anyone money.

NPD rankings are based on $ volume
The game made more money than Call of Duty Infinite Warfare or Horizon Zero Dawn

edit: beaten :D

Definitely gone back from what they used to do (PS1 games on PS2, PSP games on Vita, PS1 games on PS3 and on one particular model PS2 games on PS3). Shame.

The NPD charts are based on consumer spend revenues. FYI.

giphy.gif

Arion

I play plenty of retrogames but he's not wrong. I don't think the majority of people who play video games really give a shit about older titles.

And Sony should make business decisions based on Vita owners because...

Because backwards compatibility gives access to a giant pre-existing library of games to their customers. Being a vita owner has nothing to do with it dummy.

WoolyNinja

As much as some users love backwards compatibility I can completely understand the reasoning for now supporting PS3 and earlier backwards compatibility on the PS4. The money just doesn't make sense for the number of users that would actually use it.

That being said if the PS5 is still a similar architecture there is no reason/excuse to not allow PS4 games.

Not only that but it's generating revenue. It doesn't have to translate into NPD sales chart wins alone.

Like someone said earlier, Sony is decimating MS in terms of hardware sales but despite that MS is generating almost a similar amount of revenue.

its not really. the people who are actually buying ps2 games on ps4 (probably) aren't listening to jim ryan's opinions on how those games look or hold up.

Are you trying to say its not dumb for a higher up at a company to bad mouth a product that company is trying to sell.

BC certainly didn't help Sony keep PS2 owners on ps3. Ps2 had arguably the best games line up ever BC did absolutely nothing for it.

You mean BC that was only available on a $599 launch model that then got quickly dropped, and was gimped down to partial BC before it even hit Europe? The same BC that then resurfaced almost 10 years later for a tiny handful of games that got re-released digitally while the system was approaching deaths door?

I can see there being no BC on PS5 either. It won't be as simple as making the console and throwing the PS4 disc in the tray, there will be much work to be done, regardless of x86 continuation. Plus with Sony being hopeless on the system software side of things it isn't promising. Along with these type of comments lol.

Nah, PS5 will play PS4 games.

geordiemp

As ps4 game are 1080p and lets face it with Ps4pro we are at the stage where most ps4 games will still look and play great no matter what Ps5 is.

So Sony should make big efforts to keep the ps4 compatible with ps5, they would be crazy not to.

As much as some users love backwards compatibility I can completely understand the reasoning for now supporting PS3 and earlier backwards compatibility on the PS4. The money just doesn't make sense for the number of users that would actually use it.

I'm not tech savvy I'll admit straight up, I just don't quite understand why it's just not a thing to begin with. I realize architecture changes, but with the power of the console, I dunno, it just seems like something that they should be able to do with a bit of work, and only having to have one Playstation console at a time would be less clutter for your entertainment center and I imagine that would be enticing to some people. I don't think in this day and age that we should have to have a PS2 hooked up just to be able to play your PS2 games when you have a ridiculously more powerful console that should be able to run them in the first place. I think it would also get people to buy PS3 games more which are still selling. I know I would have a lot of PS3 games on my shelf if I could pop them into my PS4.

On top of that they're hardly making an effort to get the games on the store, the PS3 was originally BC with the PS1 and PS2, and they got a pretty good selection of PS1 classics at least on the store. With the PS4, there's PS Now which doesn't fly with me at all and a growing but nothing to write home about offering of digital PS2 games.

So either way I just think they're doing a really shitty job about it.

Traditionally BC has not been a huge deal. That being said, I think there is something being overlooked here. This is the first console gen where it has been viable to go 100% digital.

If PS5 is not BC with PS4 and X2 is BC with 360 and X1... I'd be willing to bet that will make a difference. How big? Time will tell but that digital sales percentage seems to just keep on slowly rising.

Traditionally BC has not been a huge deal. That being said, I think there is something being overlooked here. This is the first console gen where it has been viable to go 100% digital.

If PS5 is not BC with PS4 and X2 is BC with 360 and X1... I'd be willing to bet that will make a difference. How big? Time will tell but that digital sales percentage seems to just keep on slowly rising.

While it's not something that will outright make me pick one over the other, I'll admit what MS has been doing with BC has been on my mind from time to time.

Sony is definitely much more interested in pushing PSNow and selling you your old games again and again as HD Classics/Remasters versus pushing b/c, which is a shitty practice but not particularly surprising from a business perspective.

But I do think the tide is turning on how okay people are going to be with paying for the same games over and over again. Currently they're in a pretty precarious position considering the PS3 was a beast to develop for, so that's at least a bit understandable. But considering the PS4 isn't in that same position, it should be expected that the PS5 is PS4 back compat... hopefully.

FStubbs

Is arrogant Sony making a comeback?

Given both PS5 and X2 will both most likely be x86 machines, the only reason the PS5 won't be backwards compatible with the PS4 is if Sony just wants to screw people.

Moneal

Sony is definitely much more interested in pushing PSNow and selling you your old games again and again as HD Classics/Remasters versus pushing b/c, which is a shitty practice but not particularly surprising from a business perspective.

But I do think the tide is turning on how okay people are going to be with paying for the same games over and over again. Currently they're in a pretty precarious position considering the PS3 was a beast to develop for, so that's at least a bit understandable. But considering the PS4 isn't in that same position, it should be expected that the PS5 is PS4 back compat... hopefully.

it has worked for nintendo for years.

also ps3 was a huge excuse for sony to remake games. many customers didn't even have a ps3 to play them on and ps3's architecture itself didn't lend to BC being viable.

if they stay x86 going forward it would be harder for them to remake games just one gen behind. I do believe ps5 will have support for ps4 games.

Jimmy Ryan continues to be the Sony exec with the most stupid statements, Nintendo-like even.

Thank goodness he has no say in matters like that.

I dont think Nintendo's ever said anything stupid when it comes to actually playing games

it has worked for nintendo for years. also ps3 was a huge excuse to remake games. many didn't even have a ps3 to play them on and ps3's architecture . if they stay x86 going forward it would be harder for them to remake games just one gen behind. I do believe ps5 will have support for ps4 games.

Could you clarify your statements? I have no idea what you're trying to say

GuyKazama

I really hope *somebody* -- Giant Bomb, Game Informer, etc. press people at Sony about this statement and the company's plans for BC during their e3 coverage.

it has worked for nintendo for years.

I don't think it has. A lot of people are really fed up with it and it wasn't as good as it was on Wii because people decided to not re-buy them, as they shouldn't have to do that. As a result it was more lackluster on Wii U with thinly spread drips and beyond those classics included with the online account which is separate from a virtual console, they haven't even announced anything in regards to this for Switch.

So nah they're sucking at it too and people are tired of having to re-buy five dollar digital classics every time a new console comes out.

I don't think it has. A lot of people are really fed up with it and it wasn't as good as it was on Wii because people decided to not re-buy them, as they shouldn't have to do that. As a result it was more lackluster on Wii U with thinly spread drips and beyond those classics included with the online account which is separate from a virtual console, they haven't even announced anything in regards to this for Switch.

So nah they're sucking at it too and people are tired of having to re-buy five dollar digital classics every time a new console comes out.

Nintendo's always had BC though so its not like you have to rebuy them anyway.

Nintendo's always had BC though so its not like you have to rebuy them anyway.

I mean, the Wii U ran Wii discs but that's it. And DS ---> 3DS I guess.

But that's not true for Switch or the virtual console games or anything prior to Wii aside from again some of the handheld carts.

akira28

people who make games for money vs people who play games and love games.

I like it when people who love the games make the games. people who do it for the tech or the biz or the profitability are bound to never get it.

xbox 360 dominated ps3 in US. If BC was that important to enough people, Xbox1 would be selling better than ps4 in US, due to BC and most having a 360. If it was doing that then I would agree with you, same could be said for ps3, it had full bc with ps1 and ps2 at launch, but it didn't start selling well till hardware bc was removed and price dropped.

Branding is far more important for sales than features are.

That's how it is. BC is valued,, so XBOX is trying to add value. BC is very much appreciated so they add it in to try and close the gap.

It made a splash with COD. so please dont try and conflate the two.

Top Bottom