• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

Tripolygon

Banned
This quote from their test makes me hesitant. It sounds like the stats are there to spark conversations but not to be used as fact.

If they could get the same results from a few thousand, doesn't that highlight the flaw in the testing? I don't think a few thousand could accurately represent 25+million people.
Correct, that statement just says that they cannot vet the accuracy of the data since it is sourced from 3rd party using 3rd party api and so they cannot in good faith vouch for the accuracy of the data. But their interpretation of the data is sound, this is consistent with past information and trend from previous generations. Getting the same results from a few thousand doesn't highlight flaws in the testing. The point of a larger sample is to reduce margin of error, improve confidence in the result.

There it is. By no stretch of the imagination is this going to turn the tide of the current console war, but when the next generation starts its a clean slate, and if there's no BC to lock those PS4 users into the Playstation eco system......

No one is ever locked into an ecosystem. Have a good build-up with exciting games, graphics, and marketing with as little drawbacks as possible and an "ecosystem" means fuck all. The very small pool of people that is staunchly locked into its brands are doing it for more irrational reasons than BC.

Nanashrew

Banned
No one is ever locked into an ecosystem. Have a good build-up with exciting games, graphics, and marketing with as little drawbacks as possible and an "ecosystem" means fuck all. The very small pool of people that is staunchly locked into its brands are doing it for more irrational reasons than BC.

Well the idea of going with non-exotic architecture and being more like PCs/phones was not having to start things over for developers. A complaint made by developers that having the ecosystems reset to 0 every gen is becoming damaging and preventing many, most notably Japan, stay behind a gen and wait it out for the ecosystem to grow again.

In other words, mid-gens and new gens without resetting the ecosystem. If Sony offers no BC on PS5 and just decides to reset, it would go against what developers have been asking for.

But so far from how things are going, I think MS, Sony and Nintendo are all planning to have BC on all future systems and all focus will be about ecosystems and software.

But at the same time, that mentality of "old games are ugly, who's going to play them?" goes against the ecosystem.

Correct, that statement just says that they cannot vet the accuracy of the data since it is sourced from 3rd party using 3rd party api and so they cannot in good faith vouch for the accuracy of the data. But their interpretation of the data is sound, this is consistent with past information and trend from previous generations. Getting the same results from a few thousand doesn't highlight flaws in the testing. The point of a larger sample is to reduce margin of error, improve confidence in the result.

A sound interpretation of ... somewhat unreliable data?

Such reasoning would not stand up to a peer-reviewed litmus test.

Ritzboof

i feel like i saw a thread just like this a while ago. just like i said then, the huge reason i loved the wii so much was because i could play gamecube games on it. your games just carry over straight to the next gen, and if you either didnt have a ps3 and want to play these games or you were just on the fence in general, being able to play your favorite last gen games on the new console is a huge deal

but of course, if you wait a hundred years to put backwards compatibility on your console, its not going to mean much. also, i dont see why mentioning ps1 and ps2 games is necessary for this discussion. i dont think anyone asked to play their ps1 games on the ps4, so it comes off to me as an excuse to not bother with bc

That's how it works in the console scene, because the console scene resets every couple of years, and we're all used to how that goes.

As a PC gamer, none of what you just wrote rings true from my perspective.

I'm locked-in to PC gaming. Backwards compatibility is a major reason for that. People would use backwards compatibility more on consoles if consoles were better at it, and if consoles actually had a history of supporting it well. There's not much you can do about that right now, but I expect a future where I can buy games for my Playstation 5, and expect them to run at a higher resolution or framerate on my Playstation 6. At the very least, I expect PS6 to play PS5 games. If it can't do that, that's an ecosystem I don't wanna fuck with.

93xfan

Banned
I'd refuse to buy a PS5 in the first couple of years if it has no BC. I'd wait for a really good bundle and go Microsoft on all third party games.

Fuck Ryan's mentality.

20 years is the sweet spot for nostalgia. I can't help but feel that Sony is missing out.

I think a PSOne Classic Edition would do pretty well.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Microsoft's strategy is to build an ecosystem. If Sony doesn't go through with backwards compatibility at all, eventually Microsoft will have 3-4 generations of games that work on one system. That will sway people to stay with and invest in Microsoft eventually.

For all we know, the next Xbox will play Xbox One, Xbox 360, and maybe even OG Xbox games.

gablekevin

Neo Member
I love retro games and almost all the time when it comes down to "wow i should really play that one old game" i just dont actually go and play that game and instead play something new

Wood Man

Yeah, this looks so old.

Pu3u8P.gif

I read the article, and I believe it is being misinterpreted. I think Ryan is talking about GT games, but that can go for any sport-like game with their sequel improving upon them. RPG games, adventure games, platformers, puzzle games etc, these games are worth going back to, as each hold a different experience/story. A new football game/hockey game/Forza game/GT game etc, these would seem to get way less attention from people when it comes to retro gaming (with very few exceptions). That would probably be why these games cost mere pennies in shops nowadays.

So while I think this article is being read into the wrong way, I do believe there is a market for BC/retro gaming. The right kind of games need the support, though. Not just the easiest ones to emulate (which would most likely be the ones no one wants to replay).

This, and that seems pretty fair of a point in the case of games like that. Though admittedly he was stupid or careless for not being ultra specific knowing this would be such an easily misconstrued statement and gone out of his way to say he was indeed only speaking about iterative games.

And that said, I do hope they add PS1 and PS2 BC to PS4 and include PS4 BC in the PS5, even though I am buying some of the PS2 to PS4 releases for their "limited remaster" features like improved resolution, AA, and performance.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Nope, it's excuses. It's not the truth, and it's sad seeing people desperately try to shill on his behalf or use a sample size from Ars Tech to try to act like what he said wasn't ignorant and asinine, and obviously a byproduct of sour grapes due to Microsoft's BC success.

And actually people have said BC was "useless" amongst other things.

I realized that they're right. *burns copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta* unplayable without a $40 remaster with MT.

The fuck is he talking about? If the PS5 isn't BC capable it'll be an exclusive machine for me and nothing more. The days of rebuilding a collection from scratch with each gen are over for me. I've bought in big time to the Xbone ecosystem precisely because of BC.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, this looks so old.

Pu3u8P.gif

Jim Ryan, helped by the massive ego he may have gotten from the PS4 success, said something stupid, insulting, and scary for future platforms putting in doubt the efforts of BC in PS5... sometimes winners think that everything they did is great because they won, the concept of succeeding “despite of” certain actions that could bite you in the ass much more in the future instead of “thanks to” them is sometimes foreign to people that managed to score a good result.

Hopefully something this stupid is him and him alone and the architects behind PS5 are shaking their heads and working on proper BC support with PS4 and have a plan to improve BC with their previous platforms overall.

It is incredible how strange gamers can be compared to music and movie fans... the former group, in part, seems sometimes too happy to throw away gems if they are more than a few years old (justifying everything as long as they get their “fix” of new games) while the latter two groups can enjoy modern pieces AND classics more than 50 years old...

kuYuri

I'm honestly not surprised that a suit like Jim Ryan would say this. He always came off like an out of touch executive to me. Reminds me of an executive like Howard Stringer. You'd never hear comments like these out of someone like Shuhei Yoshida or Adam Boyes when he was around.

AndrewRyan

... sometimes winners think that everything they did is great because they won, the concept of succeeding “despite of” certain actions that could bite you in the ass much more in the future instead of “thanks to” them is sometimes foreign to people that managed to score a good result.
So true. These decisions are based on which ideas yield the highest
revenue. Which is fine but the problem is its how do you count the ones youll lever get back or who are turnrf away fro your offering Thewe dont get mactored into the latest mazakrketing push and trail offf with no representationhard as hard to factor in the lost revueue and ones who longer by the product due to polices

Top Bottom