• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

My god this is Trump level of transparently forcing a bullshit narrative. People want backwards compatibility and use it. Playstation built it's brand on BC earlier on. Gtfo with these insulting stupid statements Sony.

I wish ps4 did ps3... Got a bunch of games I want to play through.

Lack of PS3 BC doesnt bother me because that would genuinely be extremely difficult to do and PSnow cost them alot of money so they cant give it away for free. But PS2 and PS1 should be free (PS1 isnt even available). It's really sad.

It also sends a terrible message about BC with future consoles. Will PS5 play PS4 games? With their current strategy it doesnt sound like it.

Welp. Fears semi-confirmed (PS5 won't be BC)

Time to make my PS4 an exclusive-box (which will still be good)

That'd be a huge bummer. It already stings that PS4 doesn't have any, but there was the whole PS3/2 having the exotic architecture excuse. Isn't PS4 supposed to be more standard and streamlined? Come on.

gortsi

Neo Member
I mean, the Wii U ran Wii discs but that's it. And DS ---> 3DS I guess.

But that's not true for Switch or the virtual console games or anything prior to Wii aside from again some of the handheld carts.

Yeah, no, all Nintendo handhelds were always backwards compatible and both the Wii U and the Wii for their consoles. Also, I see we repeat the lie that you had to buy the VC games again on the Wii U. It's pretty obvious that certain people haven't touched a Nintendo console in ages

jono51

Banned
Very nice statement Jim, thank you for saying what we're all thinking.

Us REAL fans are right behind you. We will always stand behind you word, you can count on us. We don't want or need BC. Fuck BC. What a waste of time, money, and resources. I have hundreds of friends on PSN, and they have never mentioned BC. You guys are always making the smart moves this generation, and all the numbers say that nobody wants to play old games again. You would have to be a fucking dumbass to implement BC. PS4 is 6 to 1 outselling the XB1. BC is useless. That's why I fucking love you guys. BOOM.

If you think about it, BC would actually old the PS4 back. It would have to be able to code to the metal for the PS1, PS2 and PS3. There is only so much metal in the PS4, and it would take away from the graphics of UNCHARTED, GOD OF WAR, HORIZON, AND THE LAST OF US PART 2. That's 4x4k GOTY right there. You don't need BC for that. Look at where you get with no BC: 3rd place.

Besides, if you want to play old games we have plenty. We have the remasters and the remakes. We have #PS2onPS4. We have PSNow. PS4 is a great place to play the oldies too. PS1 classics will be coming soon. We have a TREMENDOUS amount of old games. I don't want to play my old games when the new playstation comes out. I mean, I will happily make threads on the remasters I'd like, but I'm happy to pay up for them. You guys deserve every penny. Thanks Jim.

Buy a PS4 Pro on amazon today.

Pre order the Crash Trilogy. Its gonna be 1080P, 60FPS, none of those n64 graphics.

Thanks Jim, thanks Sony.

Lifeline

PS5 not doing BC and Xbox Two having BC straight from the start is gonna be such a blow. I hope Sony really learns the importance of BC, especially at the launch of a new console, soon.

Yeah, no, all Nintendo handhelds were always backwards compatible and both the Wii U and the Wii for their consoles. Also, I see we repeat the lie that you had to buy the VC games again on the Wii U. It's pretty obvious that certain people haven't touched a Nintendo console in ages

Well, in this instance I'm mostly talking about the virtual console. But yeah I admit I forgot about some of that stuff. Still, I wouldn't say they've always had it but I was responding to someone over the virtual console service.

And yeah, you had to rebuy them. They had discounts and if you didn't have the Wii that you already bought them on and didn't do the system transfer, not even that.

The point is that it should have always been tied to an account.

watdaeff4

That'd be a huge bummer. It already stings that PS4 doesn't have any, but there was the whole PS3/2 having the exotic architecture excuse. Isn't PS4 supposed to be more standard and streamlined? Come on.

I hope I'm wrong but have had nagging fears. Comments like this don't put me at ease.

As someone who has gone all-in on digital and doesn't like to keep old consoles due to space and aesthetics I really hope I'm wrong. I'll probably buy most multiplats elsewhere now.

Also from a business perspective I realize they made a significant investment for the tech behind PSNow and thus that concept isn't going away soon

gortsi

Neo Member
Well, in this instance I'm mostly talking about the virtual console. But yeah I admit I forgot about some of that stuff. Still, I wouldn't say they've always had it but I was responding to someone over the virtual console service.

Like I said, the handhelds always had it. For their consoles, the Wii plays Gamecube games and the Wii U plays Wii games. You didn't have to rebuy any of your VC purchases from the Wii but they did offer a discount program if you wanted to take advantage of some of the Wii U features. No other company has been as consistent with backwards compatibility, which is the one thing that annoys me the most about the Switch

rmatheso

As ps4 game are 1080p and lets face it with Ps4pro we are at the stage where most ps4 games will still look and play great no matter what Ps5 is.

So Sony should make big efforts to keep the ps4 compatible with ps5, they would be crazy not to.

Just like they did with PS3 on PS4, which no one cares about apparently. It's funny how some responses here don't care about PS3 compatibility with PS4, but want the PS5 to be compatible with PS4. Why would you care at all about BC? The PS5 would be playing "old" games...

Look, either people want their machines to be BC or they don't. I'd like the PS5 to be compatible with PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1. Xbox Next to be compatible with Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Original Xbox. Obviously this is hard to achieve but it should be the goal.

rapid32.5

No PS5 BC no buy, since MS has shown how it is done, I don't wanna hear any excuses or opinions. I wanna replay old games just I like to rewatch old movie classics.

Moneal

Just like they did with PS3 on PS4, which no one cares about apparently. It's funny how some responses here don't care about PS3 compatibility with PS4, but want the PS5 to be compatible with PS4. Why would you are at all about BC? The PS5 would be playing "old" games...

Look, either people want their machines to be BC or they don't. I'd like the PS5 to be compatible with PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1. Xbox Next to be compatible with Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Original Xbox. Obviously this is hard to achieve but it should be the goal.

many prefer it to be available during the launch of a new gen. because those can be the times when new games aren't releasing as often as later in the console's life. Just look at first year ps4 and xbox1 to this year. this year has been loaded, and first year was pretty barren.

He's saying you didn't have to rebuy them because you you play them in Wii mode on the console

Not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about service to service between consoles and for the Wii mode you had to do a system transfer which wasn't available if you didn't still have the Wii. I sold my Wii console to be able to afford a Wii U at the time, so I wasn't able to do that and had to rebuy them. I also didn't care for the Wii mode really. Again not the same thing I'm talking about.

They have a PS2 emulator, they just charge for it.

I hope I'm wrong but have had nagging fears. Comments like this don't put me at ease.

As someone who has gone all-in on digital and doesn't like to keep old consoles due to space and aesthetics I really hope I'm wrong. I'll probably buy most multiplats elsewhere now.

Also from a business perspective I realize they made a significant investment for the tech behind PSNow and thus that concept isn't going away soon

It's a shame.

Personally, I'd rather pay for, and buy/collect old physical games, and only opt for a digital download if the physical was pulling a Suikoden II. I'd even be willing to pay for a more expensive and bigger/bulkier Playstation Sku that has actual BC enabled.

But, I have total zero interest in paying for a service that only lets me play a curated collection of older games digitally.

Man, I'm sorry you did, but I didn't. If you sold your Wii that's not Nintendo's fault, it's yours. Sucks for you,but that's life

Read above. What you're talking about is a different subject. I acknowledge the Wii mode, but there were caveats and it's not what I was originally talking about.

KageMaru

PS5 not doing BC and Xbox Two having BC straight from the start is gonna be such a blow. I hope Sony really learns the importance of BC, especially at the launch of a new console, soon.

What new console?

Just like they did with PS3 on PS4, which no one cares about apparently. It's funny how some responses here don't care about PS3 compatibility with PS4, but want the PS5 to be compatible with PS4. Why would you care at all about BC? The PS5 would be playing "old" games...

I think most people are understanding about PS3 BC because they understand it's a Frankenstein of a console. We do see threads and requests for PS1 support though. I own a bunch of PS1 games and would love to play them on my PS4.

mrk8885

Banned
I mean, the Wii U ran Wii discs but that's it. And DS ---> 3DS I guess.

But that's not true for Switch or the virtual console games or anything prior to Wii aside from again some of the handheld carts.

?????

GBC ran GB games (ok, that hardly counts)
GBA ran all gameboy games.
DS could play GBA games (until later models)
Wii could play GameCube games
Wii U could play Wii games

Texhnically Wii U could also play your legal backup copies of your GameCube games (see Nintendont thread on neogaf). While it couldn't handle the disc itself, it had all the firmware/architecture to run GC games natively.

Switch is the first Nintendo console in quite some time to have no BC functionality.

GametimeUK

Backwards compatability isn't important. End of story. Yes it's a nice bonus features for sure and I totally wish it was supported, but the lack of BC hasn't hindered PS4 or Switch and it's inclusion on Xbox hasn't boosted their sales to significant amounts, but it has made the crowd somewhat happy.

Kind of funny how the best part of an Xbox One is that it's an Xbox 360.

watdaeff4

Not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about service to service between consoles and for the Wii mode you had to do a system transfer which wasn't available if you didn't still have the Wii. I sold my Wii console to be able to afford a Wii U at the time, so I wasn't able to do that and had to rebuy them. I also didn't care for the Wii mode really. Again not the same thing I'm talking about.
But that's what he is talking about. I was just trying to clear it up for you.

However, if you are just trying to be argumentative then okay.

Switch is the first Nintendo console in quite some time to have no BC functionality.

I know. I acknowledge that I forgot about that stuff, but again I'm mainly talking strictly about the virtual console service, at least that was the original topic.

However, if you are just trying to be argumentative then okay.

Not whatsoever. I get what you guys are saying, I think there was just some confusion.

mrk8885

Banned
also, interesting that he downplays BC yet

A) we KNOW they have a working PS2 emulator they just aren't giving us

And

B) they seem to have no problem charging us for PS2 games on PS4

I'd happily forego trophy support to play my games on PS4

lol lies. There is a ton of stuff to play on Xbox. Xbox has all of the major 3rd party support that, you know, actually sells systems these days. Right now I'm playing Tokyo 42, Rime, Overwatch, Rainbow Six Siege, Hitman, Prey, Friday the 13th, Dishonored 2, Resident Evil 7 etc on Xbox. Lots of these 3rd party games are going to look and run better on Scorpio for the foreseeable future. So yeah, I seem to be doing fine playing non-360 stuff on a console that apparently has nothing else to play. I wish I could also play Persona 5 on Xbox, but that's what I have a PS4 for.

Your opinions based on alternative facts isn't reality. Fanboy drivel.
Lies, there's no way you are finding games on Friday the 13th . lol

phanphare

Banned
?????

GBC ran GB games (ok, that hardly counts)
GBA ran all gameboy games.
DS could play GBA games (until later models)
Wii could play GameCube games
Wii U could play Wii games

Texhnically Wii U could also play your legal backup copies of your GameCube games (see Nintendont thread on neogaf). While it couldn't handle the disc itself, it had all the firmware/architecture to run GC games natively.

the 3DS can also run GBA games natively in the same way the Wii U can run GCN games

Fiber

I really have no idea, how a man would want to play old games?
It has a name on it. 'old game' I even do not play 2 year old games.
Oh, Crash Bandicot?. 2017? Hello?.

watdaeff4

also, interesting that he downplays BC yet

A) we KNOW they have a working PS2 emulator they just aren't giving us

And

B) they seem to have no problem charging us for PS2 games on PS4

I'd happily forego trophy support to play my games on PS4

So far Max Payne is the only PS2 game I've played on my PS4 and the "trophy support" is an LoL reason to charge us. I think that game had like 8 token trophies added to it

I just can't buy that PS1 games would be hard to emulate. The Vita and PS3 were able to do it easily via software. Not sure about PS2 - was that hardware?

Either way, I really hope this mentality changes.
Let's be honest with what the real reason is. They've invested a lot into Gaikai/PSnow and want to see that as a revenue stream.

If Xbox remains BC and the PS5 is not, that's a big value advantage for Xbox. And we saw how quickly market sentiment can change with Xbox to 360 and PS2 to PS3.

gortsi

Neo Member
I know. I acknowledge that I forgot about that stuff, but again I'm mainly talking strictly about the virtual console service, at least that was the original topic.

Not whatsoever. I get what you guys are saying, I think there was just some confusion.

I totally know what you're saying, but that's still not true. Yes, if you sold your Wii before doing the system transfer then yes, you lost access to the games. But once you did the transfer you could sell it or dump it or do whatever you want. Would everyone prefer an account system? Obviously yes. But given the option to have nothing at all, I'd rather do the system transfer

Crayolan

That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?

It's pretty sad someone with this mindset can actually be near the head of a video game company.

You know what? I agree with him.

I've never known anyone to watch an old movie again, listen to an old album, read an old book, and certainly not look at old art.

Why should video games be the exception?

The title to this thread should be "links. Everyone wants them, no one reads them"

18 pages and only a small handful seem to understand that the interviewer and Jim are talking PS2 on PS4. So all the xbox360 on One is not a great comparison.

Talking about PS2... on the PS4. Reading the article could have cleared all that up.

joshcam19

I always have the intention of going back and playing older games I missed but I never do. I love the idea of BC, I just never use it.

watdaeff4

Let's be honest with what the real reason is. They've invested a lot into Gaikai/PSnow and want to see that as a revenue stream.

If Xbox remains BC and the PS5 is not, that's a big value advantage for Xbox. And we saw how quickly market sentiment can change with Xbox to 360 and PS2 to PS3.

To your first paragraph I agree 100%. I think they want more than that out of the service but that's off topic

To your second paragraph I think that could make a difference in the US but not a huge difference WW

Top Bottom