• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

Hilarion

I seriously don't get this "who wants to play old games" thing. Most of my favorite movies are from the 1930s, half a century before I was even born, and no one questions it when I mention some of my favorite films. Why should people be confused that I like a game from 2002 or 1995 and would rather play it than a 2014 game?

Trago

Who wants to watch old films?
Who wants to listen to old music?
Who wants to read old books or comics or manga?

It's all dated TRASH right?

Quasar

PS5 not doing BC and Xbox Two having BC straight from the start is gonna be such a blow. I hope Sony really learns the importance of BC, especially at the launch of a new console, soon.

Just like they learnt after getting punished for removing it on the PS3.

phanphare

Banned
Who wants to watch old films?
Who wants to listen to old music?
Who wants to read old books or comics or manga?

It's all dated TRASH right?

seriously!

and once you've watched that old thing that you shouldn't have watched in the first place because it was old you hit the self destruct button because everybody knows you only indulge in a piece of art once. reading a book twice? nobody's got time for that shit

Quasar

I seriously don't get this "who wants to play old games" thing. Most of my favorite movies are from the 1930s, half a century before I was even born, and no one questions it when I mention some of my favorite films. Why should people be confused that I like a game from 2002 or 1995 and would rather play it than a 2014 game?

The technology of film (or books) over time is a bit different to video games.

Nanashrew

Banned
Plenty of game franchises don't get made anymore and the only way to experience them is on older systems.

Also a bunch of one offs on those older systems that were hidden gems.

That's reason enough to keep them around through BC/Classics.

Trago

YEP!

There's NO reason to go back to that old and dated FILTH we once thought was good entertainment. Why are we buying these consoles otherwise? They are for new games! Old games belong in the garbage because they hold absolutely nothing of value on new hardware. What a waste!

Nanashrew

Banned
If we're doing the movie, TV, cartoon stuff, I still go back and watch Looney Tunes though because they are consistently funny. And no one can seem to actually make good Tom and Jerry cartoons anymore at all these days.

Lots of people watch old stuff.

Trago

Plenty of game franchises don't get made anymore and the only way to experience them is on older systems.

Also a bunch of one offs on those older systems that were hidden gems.

That's reason enough to keep them around through BC/Classics.

God forbid someone would want to play what many enthusiasts would consider 'classics'!

Hilarion

The technological complexity of a video game has little to no correlation to its enjoyability, though. Many retro titles have design aesthetics (2-3 hour campaign with infinite replayability rather than 20-30 hour campaign that is meant to go through once) that are far more in line with my play preferences than modern gaming, and feature mechanics and even genres that have been mostly jettisoned by modern games that I greatly enjoy. I'd take the library of, say, the Game Boy Advance over the library of any current console in a heartbeat.

Teran

People wonder why corporate statements are usually full of non answers; this is why.

"We're currently assessing the viability of backwards compatibility blah blah..." is essentially a "go fuck yourself" but at least doesn't stand out as an idiotic rationlisation like this one.

mrk8885

Banned
"Why would people want to play old games," said Sony...as they add trophies to them and sell them to you on PS4.

Zia

Yes, because when people are clamoring for BC it's so that they can play old versions of Gran Turismo, you dummy.

And obviously nobody wants BC, which is why Switch owners are wondering where the hell Virtual Console is.

Trago

PlayStation has a legacy of titles spanning over 20 years. It should not be too much to ask that they put the effort in creating a digital, ever-growing catalog of titles that will just work on new hardware.

How Microsoft understands this and the fucking market leader doesn't honestly boggles my mind.

RPGamer92

Banned
The age of Sony is done. If their E3 underwhelms and MS delivers, I'm selling my PS4 Pro and PS3 to Gamestop for an XB1. At least that way I'll have solid BC and a more powerful system and a stable online with the ability to change my gamertag.
joking

Renekton

Depends on market size. I put a ton of money into Sony platform over a decade and couldn't care less about replaying their older catalog.

Sony probably calculated that there are far more me's than you's.

Nanashrew

Banned

That's kind of why emulators exist in these situations. Ignoring the PS3 for the moment and its difficulty surrounding it, there's no reason their legacy titles shouldn't be on the system. Though PS2 is on the system, Sony has no consistent schedule and is very slow about it. And many are still waiting on plenty more titles to appear.

Nintendo has already expanded to include handhelds like GBA and DS on VC, while Sony is still working out the details of PS1 and PS2. I can give Nintendo some crap on VC and their trickle of titles (and Wii U VC being inconsistent in quality) but they can be consistent with their VC releases.

Right now it feels like Disney releasing Aladdin on VHS - then refusing to sell it ever again. Then Iger complaining that fans want to see that shitty CGI cave in the face of Pixar releasing Cars 2.

Look, I'm understanding as to why BC is specifically avoided now. There is an argument to be made in not wanting to undermine current investments and shoot for highly profitable current releases vs supporting 20 year old titles. A nerd spending 80 hours playing a used PS1 JRPG disc is less likely to spend $60 on that new release.

However, if the NES Classic has proven anything, it's that it's not just hardcore nostalgic gamers who want to buy older titles. Like Dusney's "Diamond Editions" what platform holders need to do is find a better way to make their older games more profitable and therefore more available. People want these old games. Companies just need to find a way to make more money off it.

KageMaru

To the people defending the lack of BC, do you think it'll reflect well if there was no BC on the PS5 with digital sales increasing year over year while the competition offers full BC with possible improvements? If the XBone 2 and PS5 launch the same period but I can trade my XBO towards the next gen version while supporting all my digital content, I'd be more inclined to do that first.

It's not just about supporting old games, but keeping up with the competition while giving gamers a reason to stay locked in your ecosystem.

Arrogant Sony is making a comeback. The cycle continues.

I don't think arrogant Sony is back at all because of one person's stance.

Wamb0wneD

You said arrogant Sony for saying PS2 on PS4 was not important. So I am asking you what Og Xbox games are people playing.

You know the answer to that already. You would have a point if some Microsoft rep came out and said "Og XBox games on Xbone are not important." Nobody said that tho. And even if someone said it that wouldn't suddenly make the PS rep look better. They both would be arrogant looking idiots for saying it.
And the fact you didn't ask what 360 games they are playing, for free btw, says enough about you.

What's the price point for those Nintendo classics.. Say SF2.

That's totally gonna deflect the criticism of this PS rep, you showed em! Btw, SF2 isn't sold by Nintendo, you won't find a single VC game in that price range. Nice try i guess.

Why do people have to bring up the competitors as soon as their favourite brand gets some (in this case deserved) flak? Is it because E3 is imminent? Maybe turn down the console warz a bit...This "bbbut the others" is really on a high note in here.

Cranster

Banned
Microsoft is doing right with BC. At this point I expect the next Xbox to support Xbox One/Scorpio and Xbox 360 games at or near the consoles launch in order to keep people invested in their ecosystem.

KageMaru

Microsoft is doing right with BC. At this point I expect the next Xbox to support Xbox One/Scorpio and Xbox 360 games at or near the consoles launch in order to keep people invested in their ecosystem.

I got the impression from last year's E3 that at this point forward, all future hardware will support past consoles up to the 360. Will be interesting to see if they go through with it.

Cranster

Banned
I got the impression from last year's E3 that at this point forward, all future hardware will support past consoles up to the 360. Will be interesting to see if they go through with it.
It's the impression I got aswell, but I think it will depend on how things develop.

Sony charges $10 for fantavision
They want that easy $$$$$$$$

PS3 I can understand because of Cell but no PS2 or PS1 is a joke :/

What a terrible comment to make

Quasar

The technological complexity of a video game has little to no correlation to its enjoyability, though. Many retro titles have design aesthetics (2-3 hour campaign with infinite replayability rather than 20-30 hour campaign that is meant to go through once) that are far more in line with my play preferences than modern gaming, and feature mechanics and even genres that have been mostly jettisoned by modern games that I greatly enjoy. I'd take the library of, say, the Game Boy Advance over the library of any current console in a heartbeat.

Whilst I wouldn't. Hell pixel art is a strike against any game for me.

DocSeuss

I'd really like to see ALL my digital Xbox games show up on the Xbox One. Lookin at YOU, Vesperia/NGB...

Right now, MS is a heck of a lot better than Sony at BC, but they got a long ways to go.

He said all the right things here. But, it still rings a bit hollow to me coming from MS , considering they never officially denounced what they tried to pull with Xbox One's launch.

Incidentally, all I wanna do now is replay Parasite Eve, and get around to giving PE2 a proper go.

Why denounce an all-in-one media box where people could install games without needing discs to play them? It's a great idea, especially considering that, at the time of the Xbox One's announcement, it was used as a Netflix box as much as a gaming box. The problem was that people were used to trade-ins, so of course they got mad at that. It's not like it was some horrible thing MS was doing; it was a really cool concept. The issue had more to do with messaging/preventing people from doing what they took for granted.

There's nothing to denounce here. It's not like Microsoft needs to issue a statement and go "we thoroughly condemn the heinous actions of previous Microsoft leadership for trying to make the Xbox One a media box and allow players to install games without the need for discs." That's silly.

The console had, what, a day one patch to change that direction? The stuff people complain about--that I can recall, at least--never existed.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Really hope this guy doesn't speak for all of the Sony / PS team. BC was one of their claims to fame back in the day an seeing 'em turn their backs to it has just sucked!

Welfare

I'm having a blast by finally playing Assassin's Creed 3 for the first time thanks to Xbox One BC. Also got to play/finish Dark Souls, XCOM, Alan Wake, Civ Rev, RDR, Force Unleased, Deus Ex, Borderlands, and my brother bought Black Ops 2 last month to play with his friends.

Why the hell am I playing these games?

I don't want to plug in my 360 just to play old games. Also, just because a game's old doesn't make it less fun.

I don't think arrogant Sony is back at all because of one person's stance.

I would hope other execs within Sony wouldn't use such idiotic logic when conveying the message, but this is clearly Sony's stance until we see their actions prove otherwise. I think their stance has been pretty clear since PS2 disc bc was ripped out of the PS3, the lack of support for any PS3 digital downloads being offered on PS4, and then with the release of PSNow.

He might as well have just said, "We have products for people who want backwards compatibility; they're called the PS1, PS2 and PS3. We also provide a service called PSNow where you can repay for access to some of the titles you already own and experience them in sub-optimal conditions."

Not sure if a lot of PS4 owners care about bc support going back at this point, but I think people are really going to start to care going forward if the PS5 comes around with no PS4 compatibility. All while the competition is supporting these features. Personally, I don't see a reason to invest heavily in their ecosystem when both Xbox and PC provide that safety net and much better online services at the same time. My PS4 library would be a lot larger if I knew there was bc support going forward to PS5. But I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt until they show me something, so I've pretty much just stuck to exclusives. But it's not important, right? Have you seen what pre-PS5 games look like? Why would anyone want to play those again? shrug

Proc

What an inconsiderate thing to say. The PlayStation brand has a rich legacy of gaming, which spans multiple generations.

I love the fact my PS3 can play my psone games easily over hdmi on modern televisions.

Sony is in a perfect position to ride and embrace the nostalgia wave that Nintendo has seen recent success with.

Just seems like he caught his foot in his mouth and decided to chew anyway.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I would hope other execs within Sony wouldn't use such idiotic logic when conveying the message, but this is clearly Sony's stance until we see their actions prove otherwise. I think their stance has been pretty clear since PS2 disc bc was ripped out of the PS3, the lack of support for any PS3 digital downloads being offered on PS4, and then with the release of PSNow.

He might as well have just said, "We have products for people who want backwards compatibility; they're called the PS1, PS2 and PS3. We also provide a service called PSNow where you can repay for access to some of the titles you already own and experience them in sub-optimal conditions." I don't know if a lot of PS4 owners care about bc support going back at this point, but I think people are really going to start to care going forward if the PS5 comes around with no PS4 compatibility.

Personally don't see a reason to invest heavily in their ecosystem when both Xbox and PC provide that safety net and much better online services at the same time. My PS4 library would be a lot larger if I knew there was bc support going forward to PS5. But I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt until they show me something, so I've pretty much just stuck to exclusives. But it's not important, right? Have you seen what pre-PS4 games look like. Why would anyone want to play those? shrug
You really can't dismiss the sheer difficulty of cell emulation on the PS4. The cell all but killed any chance of BC.

I'd really like to see ALL my digital Xbox games show up on the Xbox One. Lookin at YOU, Vesperia/NGB...

Right now, MS is a heck of a lot better than Sony at BC, but they got a long ways to go.

Why denounce an all-in-one media box where people could install games without needing discs to play them? It's a great idea, especially considering that, at the time of the Xbox One's announcement, it was used as a Netflix box as much as a gaming box. The problem was that people were used to trade-ins, so of course they got mad at that. It's not like it was some horrible thing MS was doing; it was a really cool concept. The issue had more to do with messaging/preventing people from doing what they took for granted.

There's nothing to denounce here. It's not like Microsoft needs to issue a statement and go "we thoroughly condemn the heinous actions of previous Microsoft leadership for trying to make the Xbox One a media box and allow players to install games without the need for discs." That's silly.

The console had, what, a day one patch to change that direction? The stuff people complain about--that I can recall, at least--never existed.

Correct, that version of the Xbox One never existed in a form where your right to be ripped off by GameStop was violated. So to bash the system over something that never actually took place in a consumer reality is just stupid.

Stillmatic

Can see why they don't care too much about BC. They offered it with all their previous consoles and nobody cared (including me).

I think BC becomes more important going forward though. PS4 games when they're BC on say PS5 will hold up graphically a lot better than previous gens, and gameplay mechanics will be far less clunky due to things being pretty standardized.

And yet when fans asked for it, Ms delivered.

The non-factor for sales thing (well in what GAF considers sales, ie NPD) is also BS. I had family members who were deciding between a PS4 and Xbox One and the BC set the over to the XB1 side since they could play their existing 360 games on it.

Top Bottom