• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

KageMaru

I'm pretty sure they want to get OG Xbox working as well.

I'd love to have OG Xbox BC just for a few titles *cough* PDO, Shenmue 2, Crackdown, RallySport Challenge 2, etc. *cough*

I would hope other execs within Sony wouldn't use such idiotic logic when conveying the message, but this is clearly Sony's stance until we see their actions prove otherwise. I think their stance has been pretty clear since PS2 disc bc was ripped out of the PS3, the lack of support for any PS3 digital downloads being offered on PS4, and then with the release of PSNow.

He might as well have just said, "We have products for people who want backwards compatibility; they're called the PS1, PS2 and PS3. We also provide a service called PSNow where you can repay for access to some of the titles you already own and experience them in sub-optimal conditions." I don't know if a lot of PS4 owners care about bc support going back at this point, but I think people are really going to start to care going forward if the PS5 comes around with no PS4 compatibility.

Personally don't see a reason to invest heavily in their ecosystem when both Xbox and PC provide that safety net and much better online services at the same time. My PS4 library would be a lot larger if I knew there was bc support going forward to PS5. But I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt until they show me something. So I've pretty much just stuck to exclusives. But it's not important, right? Have you seen what pre-PS4 games look like. Why would anyone want to play those? shrug

Eh I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's understandable why there is no BC support for the PS3. The PS4 has been my go to console this gen and I've been loving it. The online is just as good as XBL outside of download speeds. So I really do hope the PS5 does support PS4 BC or I'll stick to physical copies of games on the system.

.JayZii

Banned
Gran Turismo and other racing games are probably the worst possible examples for backwards compatibility.

Cool story, though.

FingerBang

God, this guy is stupid. Like, I agree that people buy new console for new games. After 2013 I almost never used my PS3, but there are so many unique PSX and PS2 games worth playing...

Hopefully this is all going to be playable on the new PS4 Portable, so we'll all be happy.
People are actually defending the original XB1 no used games plan?

what is going on in this thread o_O

It's called being a fanboy, son. It ain't good.

Jokes aside, I think they had some good ideas there (family sharing, digital and physical being a single purchase). Too bad they flushed them down the toilet with the insane ONCE EVERY 24HRs CHECK and NO USED GAMES. They should have found a better way to do that.

I don't think anyone is defending it. It never existed. Bashing the Xbox One over something that never existed is like trashing the PS3 over the original boomerang controller that no one ever was forced to use.

Eh I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's understandable why there is no BC support for the PS3. The PS4 has been my go to console this gen and I've been loving it. The online is just as good as XBL outside of download speeds. So I really do hope the PS5 does support PS4 BC or I'll stick to physical copies of games on the system.

See below... I really don't see any reason to think Sony has any other stance. Well, outside of hoping MS has forced their hand with PS5. But with the current PS4 install base would that even be enough?

You really can't dismiss the sheer difficulty of cell emulation on the PS4. The cell all but killed any chance of BC.

You realize the Xbox 360 cpu is based on the IBM PowerPC architecture? If I remember correctly it uses modified versions of the cores found in the CELL processor. If Microsoft can offer bc between two pretty different architectures I don't think Sony really has an excuse. Besides them not wanting to put the money and resources into it. They clearly don't want to.

And btw, I wasn't even talking primarily about PS3 bc. You know Sony already has PS2 emulation up and running on PS4, right? They didn't offer it for free like MS. Instead they used it to resale a couple random PS2 digital downloads on PS4. Because why do something for free when people can rebuy shit, right?

Phantom Dust and Voodoo Vince so far :)

Not Xbox OG, but the Xbox pass has allowed me to play the banjo games
Grabbed by the Ghoulies is in Rare Replay too!

Whose the guy who always does the funny interviews with Ryan? He's going to have a field day with this one.
David Jenkins!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/18/ps4-b...ppointment-tears-at-my-heart-strings-4836840/

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/23/ps4-b...ul-lot-from-the-driveclub-experience-5074388/

Arzehn

Embarrassing statement from a Global Head, however I doubt it reflects the company as a whole and not the real reason for the omission.

Ravi_elite

Banned
As long as original forumulas-mechanics-feautures become lost and changes to sequels on next gen systems fail to live up to their predecessers of course BC remains relevant..and should clearly be used as a form of statistics on what the fans want in their games.. - the Xbox guy who just wants the original Saints Row BC because, because...

sangreal

You really can't dismiss the sheer difficulty of cell emulation on the PS4. The cell all but killed any chance of BC.

Of course you can. That's Sony's problem to solve, not consumers. There really isn't any reason for their customers or potential customers to consider it at all

KageMaru

See below... I really don't see any reason to think Sony has any other stance. Well, outside of hoping MS has forced their hand with PS5. But with the current PS4 install base would that even be enough?

You realize the Xbox 360 cpu is based on the IBM PowerPC architecture? If I remember correctly it uses modified versions of the cores found in the CELL processor. If Microsoft can offer bc between two pretty different architectures I don't think Sony really has an excuse. Besides them not wanting to put the money and resources into it. They clearly don't want to.

And btw, I wasn't even talking primarily about PS3 bc. You know Sony already has PS2 emulation up and running on PS4, right? They didn't offer it for free like MS. Instead they used it to resale a couple random PS2 digital downloads on PS4 instead. Because why do something for free when people can rebuy shit, right?

The Cell is an entirely different beast than the Xenon chip found in the 360. First the SPUs were insanely fast with crunching numbers and I doubt the Jaguar chips could keep up in that respect. IIRC devs had access to 7 threads on the Cell versus 6 on the 360 CPU, making it that much harder to emulate. On top of that, the 360 was more of a typical system with how the CPU and GPU handled games while the Cell helped with graphical elements in PS3 games.

Even MS, with all their wizardry, could not get an emulator running on the PS4.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't think anyone is defending it. It never existed. Bashing the Xbox One over something that never existed is like trashing the PS3 over the original boomerang controller that no one ever was forced to use.
I mean it absolutely did it exist, Microsoft had a conference on it and everything. It didn't get to market, and was rescinded weeks after the XB1 went for preorders.
You realize the Xbox 360 cpu is based on the IBM PowerPC architecture? If I remember correctly it uses modified versions of cores found in the CELL processor. If Microsoft can offer bc between two pretty different architectures I don't think Sony really has an excuse. Besides them not wanting to put the money and resources into it. They clearly don't want to.
Cell emulation is on an entirely different level than what Xbox had to deal with. The cost has to be offset by the demand, and its apparent Sony doesn't see the payoff.

Not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about service to service between consoles and for the Wii mode you had to do a system transfer which wasn't available if you didn't still have the Wii. I sold my Wii console to be able to afford a Wii U at the time, so I wasn't able to do that and had to rebuy them. I also didn't care for the Wii mode really. Again not the same thing I'm talking about.

The Wii was made in 2005 dude. Nintendo didnt even handle the wifi for their games on their own lol.

That said this is a topic about backwards compatibility, not Nintendo's weakness with unfamiliar technology

Cell emulation is on an entirely different level than what Xbox had to deal with. The cost has to be offset by the demand, and its apparent Sony doesn't see the payoff.

Soooo, we agree? Pretty much what I've been saying. And I wouldn't exactly downplay what it took to get 360 emulation up and running. PS3 emulation might have some more difficulties, but MS is the one that put in the effort and I guarantee it wasn't easy. That's the ecosystem I want to be apart of going forward. At least until Sony shows us something different.

The Cell is an entirely different beast than the Xenon chip found in the 360. First the SPUs were insanely fast with crunching numbers and I doubt the Jaguar chips could keep up in that respect. IIRC devs had access to 7 threads on the Cell versus 6 on the 360 CPU, making it that much harder to emulate. On top of that, the 360 was more of a typical system with how the CPU and GPU handled games while the Cell helped with graphical elements in PS3 games.

I'm not sure I would go that far, but whatever floats your boat. And I'm mainly talking about bc support moving forward. Could PS5 have enough power to do PS3 emulation? Probably. I don't even expect PS4 emulation right now going by everything Sony has said and done.

Electret

Embarrassing statement from a Global Head, however I doubt it reflects the company as a whole and not the real reason for the omission.

That's my hope - that it was a dumb, one-off comment reflecting one dude's personal opinion.

I just don't see PS5 not being backwards compatible. Not with the ever-increasing emphasis on digital titles and ecosystems. And not with PS5 inevitably having an x86, AMD-based SoC, clearing a strong path for a (relatively) straightforward BC implementation. I could see a situation where BC is 90%, and not 100%, of PS4 titles, though.

Not surprised he said it...don't have confidence in their engineers to get it done since they can't get paying by credit card on the PSN store right.

Sony may have the 1st party games, but they are behind in adding features to their console compared to the Xbox One.

That's my opinion though.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

While not in this thread, I'm happy to put my hand up and admit I wanted the original Xbox One.

For me personally, it was perfect. As someone who rarely if ever buys used or lends/borrows, I loved the idea of paying Disc prices for a digital copy.

But then I also feel Microsoft would have eventually worked out a strategy for trading/lending.

I'd really like to see ALL my digital Xbox games show up on the Xbox One. Lookin at YOU, Vesperia/NGB...

Right now, MS is a heck of a lot better than Sony at BC, but they got a long ways to go.

Why denounce an all-in-one media box where people could install games without needing discs to play them? It's a great idea, especially considering that, at the time of the Xbox One's announcement, it was used as a Netflix box as much as a gaming box. The problem was that people were used to trade-ins, so of course they got mad at that. It's not like it was some horrible thing MS was doing; it was a really cool concept. The issue had more to do with messaging/preventing people from doing what they took for granted.

There's nothing to denounce here. It's not like Microsoft needs to issue a statement and go "we thoroughly condemn the heinous actions of previous Microsoft leadership for trying to make the Xbox One a media box and allow players to install games without the need for discs." That's silly.

The console had, what, a day one patch to change that direction? The stuff people complain about--that I can recall, at least--never existed.

we do not need to bring the netflix model to gaming.

that will change the dynamics of ownership into a way that reduces the consumers power here

That's fair if you're into collecting and wouldn't care about owning a digital version with bc support. Outside of that it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through to defend Sony here.

I'm not trying to defend them. People want BC and Sony has the most to offer in that, making it a total dick move not to. It's just that there's a really, really easy solution in the meantime.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
21 pages? Come on GAF let it go and enjoy PS Now and PS2 Classics with trophies XD.....T_T

To be fair though, there are a lot of PS1 games with no current device to play them now that the PS3 is dead. They should address that and emulating the PS1 on the PS4 wouldn't be difficult.

VariantX

I'm totally expecting another statement to try to clean up the dumpster fire that is this current one. Its a completely stupid thing to say when people can literally look at people enjoying said feature that "no one wants" on their competitor's console.

It would have been smarter to be honest and say, It's difficult and expensive for us to do this because..." Though, that's opening up another door to people to ask "what is my PS+ sub paying for then??"

aadiboy

People are forgetting that PS1 games are nearly 25 years old now, and PS2 games are 15 years old. How many people still have physical PS1 and PS2 games? Not enough to justify physical backwards compatibility. It's a far cry from 360 games that are still being sold new online and are only a few years old. People are mentioning BO2 charting on NPD when it became compatible on XO. Would the same thing happen for, say, GOW1 if its disc was made compatible with PS4? No.

TLZ

Banned
It's called the PlayStation catalogue, Jim. Displaying an ever growing catalogue of games since playstation's inception is a good thing. Shows what a game rich history you have. It's your portfolio.

KageMaru

I'm not sure I would go that far, but whatever floats your boat. And I'm mainly talking about bc support moving forward. Could PS5 have enough power to do PS3 emulation? Probably. I don't even expect PS4 emulation right now going by everything Sony has said and done.

No, really it's very safe to go as far as my earlier claim. As it's been said before, you're underestimating the challenge with emulating the PS3.

While I think 360 BC support is great on the XBO, I'm not sure PS3 BC support is important for the PS5. Supporting the PS4 is a different matter IMO. Digital distribution has been a major pillar to this generation, making sure a gamer's library will carry forward should be a higher priority.

While not in this thread, I'm happy to put my hand up and admit I wanted the original Xbox One.

For me personally, it was perfect. As someone who rarely if ever buys used or lends/borrows, I loved the idea of paying Disc prices for a digital copy.

But then I also feel Microsoft would have eventually worked out a strategy for trading/lending.

The fact that your $500 system would be a brick without "checking in" every 24 hours was pure bullshit.

Edit:

People are forgetting that PS1 games are nearly 25 years old now, and PS2 games are 15 years old. How many people still have physical PS1 and PS2 games? Not enough to justify physical backwards compatibility. It's a far cry from 360 games that are still being sold new online and are only a few years old. People are mentioning BO2 charting on NPD when it became compatible on XO. Would the same thing happen for, say, GOW1 if its disc was made compatible with PS4? No.

I own plenty of digital PSone games on the PS3. Would love to be able to play them on the PS4.

Err it pretty much did exist. From what I have heard from people, third party publishers weren't happy with used game sales and for a fact that used game sales affects the industry as much as piracy, because the revenue from used games goes to the retailer and retailer alone. This prompted MS to prep their console towards a software developer profitability perspective.

2SeeKU

So much for being "For the players"!

Some of my favourite games are from the PS1 and 2. It's disappointing that Sony just see BC as a cash grab. I'm happy to play my old games in the resolution that came. I don't need a remaster for each platform.

I own plenty of digital PSone games on the PS3. Would love to be able to play them on the PS4.

Agreed! I bought a few to play on the Vita but would love to be able to play them on the PS4.

Cranster

Banned

I'm going to have to disagree. Microsoft would more than likely able to get it done in a year or less.

Top Bottom