• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

I didn't get that from Jim. But If I were to use Jim's logic: Why would you want to play PS4 games if you can play brandspanking new PS5 games with better graphics?

Or is that different because "reasons"?

Actually Jim logic would be why would you want to play PS3 games on ps5

Again where do you get zero BC from. How did Jim logic convince you of zero BC

The problem is, gamers really just want to be boring. They want things to be how they've always been. Playstation is the most boring, generic, uninspiring platform on the market, and so it's the most successful. Titanfall is epic sci-fi action, but people want boring, grounded modern military stuff. People like the mundane.

Surely this is subjective to you?
I think your using one Sony exec statement to carry forward your own condescending narrative. Very strange.

And the first Titanfall sold a ton, the sequel sold like crap because it's release strategy by EA was stupid.

That doesn't show people like mundane. Ridiculous.

This thread is quite entertaining.

JimRyan.gif

I don't care for BC either

And I laugh at him, because Sony haven't got my money for two generations now.

My PS4 pro outperforms my (very modest) PC. However this type of crap makes me seriously consider upping my investment into PC gaming.

Fair enough. At that point I would personally have just invested money into computer parts, as I think there's more long-term bang for your buck, but to each his own.

Lelou

I always hope there will be backward compability.
A future without the classics games is a really bad future for me

onanie

I certainly don't feel a strong urge to play PS1 and PS2 games as they are. I also accept that PS3 emulation is difficult.

Caayn

Actually Jim logic would be why would you want to play PS3 games on ps5

Again where do you get zero BC from. How did Jim logic convince you of zero BC
Why are you so focused on knowing where I got zero BC from? Wether I pulled it out of nothing, came up with it through research or insider knowledge shouldn't effect your answer.

I'm simply asking if people who defend this statement would also have no qualms with no BC support on PS5.

gelf

My PS4 pro outperforms my (very modest) PC. However this type of crap makes me seriously consider upping my investment into PC gaming.
Yep. Even the base PS4 tends to outperform my old PC now but this lack of respect for older titles tells me I should just stick with the platform that doesn't lock my games out every generation even if my current hardware forces me to use low settings.

PS4 will be an exclusive box and little more.

Leonsito

Those are some disrespectful words, pissing on your legacy and the games that made you the company that you are now.

Also, I still play PS1 and PS2 games this days, and prefer them to PS3 or PS4 ones.

c0de

Those are some disrespectful words, pissing on your legacy and the games that made you the company that you are now.

Also, I still play PS1 and PS2 games this days, and prefer them to PS3 or PS4 ones.

I guess we can agree that old psx and ps2 3d games without proper upscaling and filtering won't do it on nowadays screens but especially with pay you have a lot of 2d gems that people would want to play (like Suikoden, for example).

samar11

He's not wrong. Gaf is an echo chamber on some things. Most people IRL would use backwards compatibility a handful of times and the rest of the time on modern games.

Probably the same for forum dwellers as well, but BC people are the loudest so they make it seem like 90% of gamers really want to spend their time replaying Devil May Cry instead of Witcher 3, which I highly doubt.

Yeh outside of some members in Gaf, I dont think anyone gives a shit.

Hey look at the xbox one, its catching up to the PS4 (no backwards)
/s

c0de

/s

Ah, features are only good if it makes you win, no matter if consumers might see value in it. You should work in a strategy team at any company.

Roshin

If they actually made an effort, I think a lot more people would be interested.

You know, give them a proper label, "PS1/PS2 Classics now available on your PS4", put a spotlight on them, give them some love and attention, instead of just quietly farting them out whenever without any fanfare at all.

OléGunner;239334111 said:
I think your using one Sony exec statement to carry forward your own condescending narrative. Very strange.

And the first Titanfall sold a ton, the sequel sold like crap because it's release strategy by EA was stupid.

That doesn't show people like mundane. Ridiculous.

Honestly, I'd recommend you ignore DocSeuss when it comes to matters like this. He has a serious hate boner for Sony. He said a while ago that they were the most generic safe publisher as well, and when I refuted his point he didn't respond.

Skux

He's not wrong. Gaf is an echo chamber on some things. Most people IRL would use backwards compatibility a handful of times and the rest of the time on modern games.

Yeap. The people on GAF the very loud minority. The truth is, the vast, vast majority of people are not buying PS4s to play previous generation games. The people that care enough to do this still own that console.

c0de

Yeap. The people on GAF the very loud minority. The truth is, the vast, vast majority of people are not buying PS4s to play previous generation games. The people that care enough to do this still own that console.

So you think it wouldn't be a problem if ps5 won't play ps4 games?

Bgamer90

Banned
the ps4 doesnt play ps3 games and its tracking to becoming the best selling console of all time, or up there.

BC is not a problem to the majority

It isn't a problem now but in this era of increasing digital purchases, if the PS5 doesn't have it then I think we'll see far more criticism about it not having it in comparison to what the PS4 received during its launch for not having it.

Especially if the next Xbox (after Scorpio) will feature visual improvements for games people already own for free instead of people having to buy an improved $60 version of a game they already own to see its improvements on that better hardware.

MaulerX

/s

Don't understand this logic. Your platform of choice being #1 is an acceptable trade off for being shafted out of your library?

xealo

Good thing sony is there to decide for me what has value to me, just like with EA access.

Sarcasm aside, what an awful attitude to have. Games do not get worse just because they're older if they were well designed in the first place. Graphics is a thing most people get over rather fast if they don't bounce off in 5 minutes.

c0de

Who knows, it hasn't been a problem for the PS4.

I know the current situation. But this time even more people have an even bigger digital library which changes the transition. Looking back isn't really helping here.
Just for an experiment I'd wish they would try to sell remasters again.

This also sends a message about whether or not you're going to be able to play your PS4 games on PS5, which makes me wonder whether i should only buy PS exclusives on PS4, and buy my multiplats on PC. And at the end of the day, even if he WAS right, its still HORRIBLE PR. This was the Playstation equivalent of "If you want to play old games we have a console for you, its the PS3".

LoL no it doesn't - everyone knows they can't make PS4 BC with ps3 due to cell being such an exotic architecture which shitty netbook cpu in current consoles can't emulate so this is just bad PR to pretend they don't care.

takriel

I can understand his logic concerning iterative titles that are made redundant by newer releases. But there are a lot of unique titles that would benefit from BC.

samar11

Don't understand this logic. Your platform of choice being #1 is an acceptable trade off for being shafted out of your library?

They don't think its worth the time and effort so they probably didn't include it.

Edit; also what bishop said lol

OuterLimits

Seems odd to me that some agree with him on this. Granted, some defended Sony when they made the ridiculous statement about EA Access.

Yes, the majority probably won't often use BC, but it's certainly benefits the consumer if available. How is that a bad thing exactly?

Back in 2013 when promoting the PS4 they ran the video," 4theplayers since 1995" which was aimed at triggering nostalgia. Now in 2017 they must protect you from experiencing those grotesque looking PlayStation games from 1995-2006

Rmagnus

Banned
I know the current situation. But this time even more people have an even bigger digital library which changes the transition. Looking back isn't really helping here.
Just for an experiment I'd wish they would try to sell remasters again.

Your PS4 is not gonna disappear when ps5 is out.

you're not shafted out of your library.

If you choose to get rid of your last gen consoles, thats on you.

Except they do care about BC by offering PS Now - they are able to monetise that which is telling about the reasons why they're not interested in working on adding it.

But consoles suffer from failure. Look at how you can play PC games from 20-30 years ago with little issue and think about how people are going to be able to play The Last of Us on PS5 or PS6 outside of another updated port.

Honestly, I'd recommend you ignore DocSeuss when it comes to matters like this. He has a serious hate boner for Sony. He said a while ago that they were the most generic safe publisher as well, and when I refuted his point he didn't respond.

Ahh I see thanks.
I'll ignore moving forward.

It isn't a problem now but in this era of increasing digital purchases, if the PS5 doesn't have it then I think we'll see far more criticism about it not having it in comparison to what the PS4 received during its launch for not having it.

Especially if the next Xbox (after Scorpio) will feature visual improvements for games people already own for free instead of people having to buy an improved $60 version of a game they already own to see its improvements on that better hardware.

Agreed. PS4 came out just at a time when people could leave their digital purchases behind.
It's gonna be a harder sell with PS5 because I'm one of the millions who'd like bc on that with a growing digital library.

I think Jim's words have been blown slightly out of proportion as per my previous post on the last page.

I don't see his words as a sweeping statement for Sony that PS5 won't have bc with PS4.
We still have to wait and see while continuing to kick a fuss about it in the mean time.

I don't see why a PS5 with bc and the PS Now service on the side can't co-exist together.

c0de

I never said it did? But bc also gives the option to have games performing even better than they did before and with cloud saves, the transition to a new gen would be very smooth.
I mean, who cares about the hardware itself? If a new system does all what the old one did, only better and more, there is no reason to keep the old one. You can even sell it to even more justify buying the new one (like people do since ages with computers and what people did with ps4 pro).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm going to play Devil's advocate.

I can see how someone would look at old PS1/PS2 Gran Turismo games and question why anyone would want to play those over what's out now. But why would anyone want to play old Gran Turismo games has been spun to mean why would anyone play any old games, which may very well not be what was intended.

Would the same remark have been uttered if it were Castlevania or Spyro the Dragon? Possibly not. But in the face long running franchises where the most noticeable change is updated graphics? Yeah, I can see it.

I think this is a terrible comment. I still have a PS2 Slim with a handful of games I still want to play and can't on modern systems. A game like Bishi Bashi... It doesn't date. It's classic fun. Nothing on modern consoles can top it. There are so many games from previous generations that are near, or at the top of their respective genres.

If the PS5 isn't backwards compat with PS4, Sony are out of their minds. I can understand it when there is a radical change in architecture, but lets face it... That's not happening for next gen.

Each gen is a new value proposition for me. The customers are Sony's to lose!

MrHoot

Meanwhile, old ps2 and ps1 games in their original form like Silent Hill 2 get closer to being forgotten as there's no chance in hell they'll get a proper HD port.

Yes, I care about BC. I'm not so vain to think "ewwww graphics* when I play OLD games

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looking at his comment again it seems like he's trying to downplay bc, and using Gran Turismo as an example to back up his claim that nobody bothers with bc.

He's definitely not looking at the big picture, as most of these old games are unique titles and not just numbered updates of the same experience.

DocSeuss

OléGunner;239334111 said:

Not really, no. Consumers tend to prefer mundane fiction in general. Lots of market research/human psych study stuff goes into this. Basically, it's a lot easier for most people to watch fiction about things they already know than about things they don't. A lot of nerd stuff

One of the reasons Marvel has been so effective at its superhero films is because it grounded them in the real world (see all the praise for Winter Soldier/Civil War vs The First Avenger, even though TFA's really not that different). The more barriers you put between a person and a thing, the more likely that person is to turn away from it.

When it comes to things like UI/UX, it's the same basic principle: people want what they already know. The less familiar something is, the less likely the average consumer is to want to like it.

The reason nerds really like consoles to stay the same is the same reason that nerds have a hard time dealing with comics that aren't canon. People want stuff to stay the same. Change is hard.

Good onboarding is essential to getting people to embrace change, and that's really hard.

It's literally the opposite of subjective. There are multiple fields of science and business that deal with this topic.

Sony's answer to it has simply been not to worry about it at all and just make what people are familiar with. Nintendo's approach has been "break the mold every single time," which sometimes works for them (Wii and the "buy it for your kids! they won't be lazy slobs on the couch!" stuff that made it sell so well), while Microsoft's got this weird iterative approach that's a bit too Tech Industry Insider focused, and has been since they were doing WebTV, maybe even before.

Secret Owl

Neo Member
Yes. Clearly games are disposable goods to be consumed once and then forgotten about.

Somebody get this man a ticket to a Retro Gaming Expo, or a link to some Sony-related Retronauts episodes.

Hell, just tell him to tweet at Cifaldi or Steve Lin.

If he's saying the older games need to be updated visually, I would not object to more HD-remasters of PS1 and PS2 games. I don't think that's his intended message though.

Also, I'm really hoping he's not using PSNow's market performance as a measurement of mass interest in playing PS3 games on PS4. That service was shotty at best, and regularly unusable for the average Internet-speed I occasionally tried it on.

Top Bottom