• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Profit Soars in Latest Quarter

Wednesday July 28, 1:08 pm ET
By Yuri Kageyama, AP Business Writer
Sony's Profit Soars in Latest Quarter on Improved Results From Joint Venture Sony Ericsson

TOKYO (AP) -- Sony Corp.'s profit surged as improved results from its cell-phone joint venture Sony Ericsson and other businesses in which it has an investment stake more than offset weaker operating results from its electronics and video-games businesses which saw shipments of its PlayStation 2 machines tumble.

The Japanese electronics and entertainment giant said Wednesday its profit totaled 23.3 billion yen ($210 million) for the April-June period, up from 1.1 billion yen the same period the previous year.

Sales inched up 0.5 percent to 1.61 trillion yen ($14.5 billion) from 1.60 trillion yen a year ago.

Sony said the profits for the latest quarter were better than it had expected but maintained its forecast for the full year, saying it wished to be cautious about the future.

Sony expects to earn 100 billion yen ($901 million) for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2005, up 13 percent from the previous year on 7.55 trillion yen ($68 billion) sales, up 1 percent from fiscal 2003.

Chief executive Nobuyuki Idei said this fiscal year is important for Sony in strengthening its foundation for long-term growth.

The company is releasing new products such as the PlayStation Portable handheld video game machine, investing in computer chips and liquid crystal displays and expanding its music business through a joint venture with Bertelsmann AG, he said.

"Sony will be a company that works together as a group for the realization of ever more enhanced profitability," Idei said in a statement.

The latest results reflected a gain related to its equity stake in the profits of affiliated companies compared to an equity loss the previous year. Sony Ericsson significantly improved its results and contributed 5.8 billion yen ($52.3 million) to Sony's results.

Sony also booked a 12.8 billion yen ($115 million) gain as a subsidiary recognized proceeds from a license agreement with Microsoft Corp. related to a settlement of a patent-related lawsuit, the company said.

But operating income declined nearly 50 percent in Sony's electronics segment to 6.9 billion yen ($62 million) from 13.8 billion yen a year ago, largely because of a stronger yen and restructuring costs.

In recent years, Sony has suffered from growing competition from cheaper U.S. and Asian rivals that have chipped away at its previous domination in electronics.

Sales plunged in traditional TVs and portable-audio equipment while sales were solid in digital cameras and flat-panel televisions. Sales in the electronics segment totaled 1.098 trillion yen ($9.9 billion), down 0.2 percent from 1.100 trillion yen a year ago.

Sony plans to spend 130 billion yen ($1.2 billion) on restructuring this fiscal year after spending 168 billion yen the previous year.

Sony's video-game business, once its most profitable sector, sank to an operating loss of 2.9 billion yen ($26 million), in contrast to a profit of 1.8 billion yen a year ago.

Game business sales shrank about 16 percent to 105 billion yen ($946 million) from 125 billion yen on slowing sales of the PlayStation 2 video-game machine. Sony shipped just 710,000 PlayStation 2 machines for the quarter, a decrease of nearly 2 million machines from a year ago.

Sony Music Entertainment, the company's music unit, recorded a 1.5 percent growth in sales at 118.8 billion yen ($1.1 billion) from 117 billion yen a year ago, driven by key releases such as Prince's "Musicology" and country-music singer Gretchen Wilson's debut album "Here for the Party."

Operating losses in the music segment were trimmed to 1.1 billion yen ($9.9 million) from a loss of 6 billion yen a year ago. Sony has obtained approval from the European Union on its joint venture with Bertelsmann. Approval in the United States is still pending.

The June 30 release of the successful "Spider-Man 2" was already contributing to Sony's movie division, the company said. But sales dipped 1.9 percent to 148 billion yen ($1.3 billion) from 151 billion yen a year ago.

Better home video and DVD revenue, such as "50 First Dates" and "Big Fish," as well as relatively successful theater releases, including "Hellboy" and "13 Going on 30," helped Sony Pictures return to profitability at 4.1 billion yen ($37 million) for the quarter, a reversal from a 2.4 billion yen loss a year ago.

Deg

Banned
Sony also booked a 12.8 billion yen ($115 million) gain as a subsidiary recognized proceeds from a license agreement with Microsoft Corp. related to a settlement of a patent-related lawsuit, the company said.

Interesting.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Did I read something recently that Sony Music is trying to merge with BMG? It's nice to see a good back and forth... some years the VG industry will boost profits... other years other division will...

Jumpman

sonycowboy said:
Sony's video-game business, once its most profitable sector, sank to an operating loss of 2.9 billion yen ($26 million), in contrast to a profit of 1.8 billion yen a year ago.

Game business sales shrank about 16 percent to 105 billion yen ($946 million) from 125 billion yen on slowing sales of the PlayStation 2 video-game machine. Sony shipped just 710,000 PlayStation 2 machines for the quarter, a decrease of nearly 2 million machines from a year ago.

Wow, that cell r&d is really costing Sony's game division. PS2 sales are also stagnating. The recent price drop should help some, but I don't expect to see them back to their earlier levels until they hit that magical $99 price point.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
sonycowboy said:
Wednesday July 28, 1:08 pm ET
By Yuri Kageyama, AP Business Writer
Sony's Profit Soars in Latest Quarter on Improved Results From Joint Venture Sony Ericsson

TOKYO (AP) -- Sony Corp.'s profit surged as improved results from its cell-phone joint venture Sony Ericsson and other businesses in which it has an investment stake more than offset weaker operating results from its electronics and video-games businesses which saw shipments of its PlayStation 2 machines tumble.

The company is releasing new products such as the PlayStation Portable handheld video game machine, investing in computer chips and liquid crystal displays and expanding its music business through a joint venture with Bertelsmann AG, he said.

This is the Gaming Discussion board, so let's cut out the other stuff.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
DarienA said:
Someone please direct me to the big rolleyes....
:D
Though, to be fair, the only thing people are interested in with MS' reports is whatever- division- the- Xbox- is- in's (I forget the all of a sudden) earnings. The rest of the report is usually ignored.

A loss of $26 million with 2 systems in R&D really isn't so bad.

Well that's great for Sony. The games division seems to be on the downward spiral though. I guess just like Microsoft they need other divisions to make up for the losses.

Nintendo made $204 million in the same period. I find difficult to understand how can a corporation that is a lot bigger with so many branches like Sony managed only to make $6 millon more.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
open_mouth_ said:
Yes, I love it when a multibillion dollar conglomerate makes more money! It totally makes my day!

You know, I agree
As long as you keep that notion for all companies we at least have one thing in common

CrimsonSkies said:
Well that's great for Sony. The games division seems to be on the downward spiral though. I guess just like Microsoft they need other divisions to make up for the losses.

How the heck do you get that they're in a downward spiral? That comment seems ludicrous They lose a little bit of money because of substantial R&D for two products. I'm got to demand justification here.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
They're in Year 4 of a 5-year "premier console" lifespan. The sales peak for this generation has likely passed already (that applies to all consoles).

Sales will pick up dramatically with the release of GT4, GTA4, and MGS3.

Jumpman said:
Nice avatar Operations, that's from my favorite show ever!
It's mine as well, the series was virtually flawless. One of the series executive consultants, Joel Surnow, continued as a script writer and executive producer for 24, and you can definitely notice the influence.

Jumpman

Operations said:
It's mine as well, the series was virtually flawless. One of the series executive consultants, Joel Surnow, continued as a script writer and executive producer for 24, and you can definitely notice the influence.

Yeah, I know. I think that 24 is currently the best show on tv. Although I must say that the first half of season one was better than anything they have done since then.

Back on topic, I wish Sony would find a way to raise the profitability in all of their non gaming divisions. Their revenue stream is massive, and if they could just generate a small percentage of profit from all major divisions, then their total profit would be enormous.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"They're in Year 4 of a 5-year "premier console" lifespan."

it's a 7 year plan apparently.

"A loss of $26 million with 2 systems in R&D really isn't so bad."

if all those costs were in the game sector, yes. that wouldn't be that bad. As it is though, they aren't. Cell will be used in other systems (Tvs, etc) , so it's not incorporated in the figures for the game sector. Or Bluray (if it ends up being in the PS3).

DCharlie said:

if all those costs were in the game sector, yes. that wouldn't be that bad. As it is though, they aren't. Cell will be used in other systems (Tvs, etc) , so it's not incorporated in the figures for the game sector. Or Bluray (if it ends up being in the PS3).

My understanding is that the costs are being distributed appropriately, so that each division that uses the technology will share in the costs. If that's not true, and SCEI is not paying at all for the cell, blu-ray, or similary "shared" technologies, they why the "loss"?

They're making money on hardware and on software, so where exactly are they losing it?
If you're allowed to tell ;)

DCharlie

"My understanding is that the costs are being distributed appropriately, so that each division that uses the technology will share in the costs. If that's not true, and SCEI is not paying at all for the cell, blu-ray, or similary "shared" technologies, they why the "loss"?"

That's not true - the Cell costs are part of semiconductor which is part of electronics. Bluray - not sure - definitely not in game, i'd assume electronics somewhere.

The idea is that the electronics division will then sell the Cell tech back to the game division (this isn't a new practice, and it's open to abuse)

"They're making money on hardware and on software, so where exactly are they losing it?
If you're allowed to tell "

I have no idea - the figures and analysis say that the loss was down to the price cut vs poor software sales which would suggest taking a loss on the hardware which i simply don't believe. I'll dig more tomorrow, today was a bit busy.

"7 years"

7 years to break even, 10 year product cycle is my understanding.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
"They're in Year 4 of a 5-year "premier console" lifespan."

it's a 7 year plan apparently.

SCEI is paying for part of the new fabs ( and they said in the other PR that part not all of the Semiconductor R&D costs were transferred: it might be even "most of", but not all).

Also, DCharlie you seem to think that they do not pay all of their software developers they employ for PSP and PlayStation 3 Software R&D ;).

Alcibiades

Marconelly said:
Isn't it a ten year plan, much like with PS1? They even said so.

considering the difficulties in breaking even on their PS2 investment, it would have to be a ten-year-plan, and even EA and other 3rd parties have mentioned that they abandoned a large potential market early when they stopped PS-X software production and switched almost all resources to PS2 and they won't do the same thing this time...

Mrbob

Operations said:
Nintendo made $204 million in the same period. I find difficult to understand how can a corporation that is a lot bigger with so many branches like Sony managed only to make $6 millon more.

More expenses.

DCharlie

"SCEI is paying for part of the new fabs ( and they said in the other PR that part not all of the Semiconductor R&D costs were transferred: it might be even "most of", but not all)."

PR != actual finance. Most of , what? , 6-8 billion $ is quite a sizable chunk given the number 1 use will be PS3 in the main.

"Also, DCharlie you seem to think that they do not pay all of their software developers they employ for PSP and PlayStation 3 Software R&D ."

and how many software developers are working on PS3/PSP RnD???
10 ? 50? that's still only a maximum of 150 million yen (and that is being generous) ! Where does 2.something BILLION yen in losses come into play? And how much of the T60 pay off did the Games sector get?

*this is a serious question btw* I'm worried that Sony are still booking loses to PS2 hardware which seems to be backed by their own explaination of why they didn't make a profit (reduced software sales / reduced RRP)

DCharlie said:
*this is a serious question btw* I'm worried that Sony are still booking loses to PS2 hardware which seems to be backed by their own explaination of why they didn't make a profit (reduced software sales / reduced RRP)

LOL. YOU just aren't going to back off of this are you? Unless you actually have anything real to offer this why continue to wave this flag? You have absolutely nothing beyond baseless accusations to support yourself. If you don't trust the financial reports, then get some proof that Sony lied on them (or otherwise misprepresented) or just shut the f' up.

Alcibiades

Don't forget that in the largest market (US), they were offering a PS2+Network adaptor for the same price as the PS2 ($149.99, and my guess is most buyers went for the bundle, which also came with a free game), and I'm not sure if they are breaking even on that bundle...

efralope said:
Don't forget that in the largest market (US), they were offering a PS2+Network adaptor for the same price as the PS2 ($149.99, and my guess is most buyers went for the bundle, which also came with a free game), and I'm not sure if they are breaking even on that bundle...

How much do you think the NA actually costs to produce? 10 MB Network cards are like 2 or 3 bucks at most. Then add in ATV offroad fury which cost another 2-3 bucks. But you're right, it's probably killing them.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
How much do you think the NA actually costs to produce? 10 MB Network cards are like 2 or 3 bucks at most. Then add in ATV offroad fury which cost another 2-3 bucks. But you're right, it's probably killing them.
Well the Wbrush report estimated PS2 being $130 to manufacture (meaning it's likely sold at a loss to retail)... not that they're estimates are exactly spot on, the GC estimate ($120) seemed sort of high and their XBox estimate ($175) a bit low. I sort of doubt Sony or Nintendo are incurring hardware losses at this point...

Alcibiades

sonycowboy said:

"I'm not sure if they are breaking even on that bundle.." /= "probably killing them"

thank you for clarifying though, I guess they make a good $30-$35 on each Network Adaptor sold separately then, didn't know the margins were that good...

So how much does Microsoft lose for including theirs in the XBox (edit: must be cheaper than even Sony since it's only broadband not both), I always thought it was quite something, but I guess if it's comparable then it's really not a big deal...

Gek54

open_mouth_ said:
Yes, I love it when a multibillion dollar conglomerate makes more money! It totally makes my day!

Yeah, we should all totally be communists. Government controls all buisness and everyone makes the same amount of money. COMMIE POWER!

sohka88

considering the difficulties in breaking even on their PS2 investment,

efralope you always talk like you know shit when you don't. What difficulties? Didn't they break even a while back? In your silly head nintendo makes $100 on every GC sold and Sony and MS lose tons on money.

Subitai

Thanks for camera chips and MS legal payments.

PS3 is starting to drag on PS2, but it will be more than worth it if Sony does half as well with its next system.

Izzy

Banned
If Sony's making this much money now, one can only imagine what'll happen once the R&D expenses are out.

Killbin

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
Does SonyCowboy work for Sony? He seems to care a whee bit too much about this. Viral Marketer?
He cares what SONY does. If you don't like it, don't read his posts. Simply as that!

andthebeatgoeson

Operations said:

Because they are....DOOMED??? Or because they are much better than Sega?

Alcibiades

sohka88 said:
efralope you always talk like you know shit when you don't. What difficulties? Didn't they break even a while back? In your silly head nintendo makes $100 on every GC sold and Sony and MS lose tons on money.

actually, the recent word was that they still hadn't recouped investment on PS2, there was a thread about it in the other GAF. They trying to extend the lifecycle to a ten-year one as they are constantly saying...

I'm not making this up, it was discussed lengthily before the server crash, so I didn't archive the thread...

I know MS loses quite a bit on every XBox, and the Nintendo and Sony about break even (although I was having doubts whether Sony lost money on the Network bundle, but I didn't know modem/broadband adaptors were just a couple of bucks)...

sohka88

The problem I have with you is you state things like you know. YOU DON"T KNOW.

the recent word was that they still hadn't recouped investment on PS2

Word from who?

considering the difficulties in breaking even on their PS2 investment

Where did you read they are having difficulty?

Alcibiades

sohka88 said:
The problem I have with you is you state things like you know. YOU DON"T KNOW.

Word from who?

Where did you read they are having difficulty?

on GAF, before neoGAF...

Can somebody back me up that that thread existed?

DCharlie

"DCharlie: I do not think they are selling PlayStation 2 consoles to retailer at a loss."

Then my next question is : what spurred this loss then? In Sonys own report they could have surely said "this loss was due to increased rnd burden of two new platforms" - yet they don't mention that. It may well be that it IS that - likewise as mentioned, i'd find it hard to believe that the price cut is the cause of this but sony point this out as a factor.

"LOL. YOU just aren't going to back off of this are you? Unless you actually have anything real to offer this why continue to wave this flag? You have absolutely nothing beyond baseless accusations to support yourself. If you don't trust the financial reports, then get some proof that Sony lied on them (or otherwise misprepresented) or just shut the f' up."

My accusation was that Sony haven't broken even on their PS2 business, not that they weren't making cash back quarter on quarter. If you think there isn't a massive amount of smoke and mirrors in financial reports, then all play to you.

Top Bottom