• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's response to EA Access Subscription plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft has a big partnership with EA for now. That's how they made it work and whatever terms EA wants on this, Microsoft has accepted.

Can you provide sources for this. EA and Microsoft worked together on Titanfall's exclusivity, and have done co-marketing deals. That doesn't means they're in a big partnership, just like Sony pushing the majority of Destiny's marketing doesn't mean there's a big conspiracy between them and Activision.

I know it's fun to think of Microsoft and EA as two supervillains plotting together, but just because they shared some co-marketing deals and an exclusive doesn't mean they're now bessie mates who do everything together. Making a third-party subscription service work on Xbox Live is completely different to publishing an exclusive or co-marketing a game.

PS Now is a completely different service, designed to do different things. I don't know why it's relevant here. PS Now is a simple game rental service (with some ridiculous prices IMO, but that's beside the point).

Sony care about 3 things:

1) Money
Maybe they just can't agree with EA about who get's what share of the Origin-subscription money. Or who deals with the support costs.

2) Control
Sony want EA to put their old games on PS+. They want you to buy digital games from the PS-Store. They do not want a situation where PS+ is just an online paywall and a bunch of crappy B-tier games. They do not want people using a different store or an EA-controlled department of PS-store.
The early access thing is particularly harmful, since it makes the Origin subscription the only way to access some PS4 content.

3) Brand management
This is where it gets interesting for the gamer. Sony want people to like the Playstation, and to enjoy using it more than they enjoy rival consoles.
Sony probably suspect that if they have Origin (and other competitors) subscriptions, then it could make things looks really messy and intimidating to the typical gamer. The Ubisoft DLC matrix might look like a model of simplicity in comparison to all the subscription bonuses.
Sony do not want to seem like car/phone/cable salesmen offering a dozen different amazing credit deals and optional bundles with poorly defined benefits.
It could also foster the idea that you 'need' all these extra subscriptions on top of just buying the console. Parents who've been nagged about 'needing' PS+ will now be nagged about 'needing' Origin.
Sony kicked MS's arse by marketing PS4 as the simple system, for people who want to play games and not deal with a load of complicated digital semi-ownership hassles. They risk damaging that image if they start offering a bunch of complex services.

Sometimes people want more choice and sometimes they want a small set of easily understood options. There's no right answer.

Steroyd

Well, it sounds good enough that Sony are pushing that model themselves, locking game licenses behind a service with PS Now. If it's good enough for PS4 owners with PS Now, why wouldn't it be good enough with EA's model?

PSNOW is an online streaming service, how does that even compare to downloading games locally?

panda-zebra

I had my say on potential reasoning for Sony's decision beyond their PR statement and followed it up with some personal opinion. Since then the discussion has moved away into a general assessment of Access and circled around Sony's stance. I'm done with the Sony angle (because there's only so many ways people can say "arrogant Sony" and "people's champion" without either having enough supporting evidence) but, reading through pretty much every post in this thread, I can't say that I have been at all swayed by the posts that were rallied around in support of Access, such as those by StoOgE. While he formed suitable points and offered sensible reasoning I don't think enough pure common sense and healthy skepticism played their part in their formulation. Afterall, it's Electronic Arts. I think we have every right to healthy skepticism until they offer enough evidence to prove otherwise rather than short term buying of opinion with unsustainable value. There, said it.

For me, EA: Access seems to be an impatient move by those clever chaps in the EA game-monetisation think tank. They've no doubt cast their green eyes over ps+, and more recently GWG, and want a slice of that sweet pie. The only trouble is their plan is somewhat premature. They don't currently have the content to sustain the service as advertised in the way that Sony's and MS' customers already enjoy (albeit ps4 owners are surely feeling the difference between plus on that platform vs plus on their ps3s for obvious reasons). This shallow pool is surely the reasoning behind the addition of the extra deal-clinchers I mentioned previously - the percentage discount and 2-hour+ 5-day-early previews - feel good incentives designed to push you over that line and leave that subscription ticking over...

Saying they can't live up to the service as advertised might seem like an odd comment given the size of EA and their history, but the vaults labelled "xbox one" and "ps4" are bare - there is nothing in the way of a back-catalogue to support the programme to any real extent. Making this open to new current gen only certainly raises an eyebrow.

VAULT: A room or compartment reserved for the storage and safekeeping of valuables, especially such a place in a bank.

What I can say about this vault is that it appears to have rather astounding acoustics... but that's only due to the fact that there's not much in here other than the echos of my footsteps as I turn and head back to the light. OK, that was too flowery, but there are very few valuables on show with only slight prospect of future bounties to accompany them.

Look at EA's release schedule. Consider the many yearly franchises, primarily sports and shootbang. Now look at the value of these titles in the used marketplace once the latest and greatest replacements are shipping. These aren't even the types of titles that would do well for EA in a programme such as plus or GWG other than a lump sum payment from the platform-holders - there's not going to be much DLC money splashed around on these types of offerings IMO, and my guess is that's one of the major earners for titles delivered in such a way. Now imagine what it'd be like if EA were to place anything outside the bounds of these yearly manufactured titles to one side, away from the programme. Apparently they already have with titanfall (or maybe, as some suggest, there's another reason for this exception).

What exactly are you buying into for your $30/£20/Euro25 per year? I'd say there's no telling what you're going to get but one things for sure - it'd be foolish to expect monthly updates as that's unsustainable. What about quarterly or biannual updates? Will they be updates or will they be rotation? Will there always be 4 titles, will there be less or will they just keep accumulating as time passes? Will titles and DLC purchased at discount expire with my subscription or remain live universally in every case? How long will the online component of these games remain supported?

So many questions, the biggest one for me: Why have people already handed over their money for a yearly subscription when these questions remain unanswered or deep within a fog of uncertainty? To support "innovation" in the industry and to give EA a chance to prove themselves? Fuuuuck. Not buying that - the potential for a fractured 'car dealership' system of game services offering nothing in the way of true competition or value is far too great a risk to take for the sake of a few cheap games in the here and now. I wouldn't be quick to sell myself in that way.

There's always a but...

Now that monthly price - $5... and you get to play all four of those games for the next 4 weeks? OK EA, you got me! I honestly can't see any good reason not to jump at that. A 1 month rental of those seems like true value for money, even if I have to put my CC details up and remember to cancel right before you take the next monthly payment. Who's not going to buy that? Even someone who owns all four games physically is going to bite just to save having to get up off their arse to swap discs.

I suppose everyone has their price and that's good news for EA in pushing this programme forwards. They're not daft.

As for the future, I'd rather not consider how this programme might evolve. What could easily be dressed up a benefits for subscribers could actually simply be locking out of a wider user-base of the possibilities regarding content and access. Somewhat sobering after the jollies of a 4-game-5-dollar introduction, but once you get used to that monthly fee going out...

Sorry for the WOT

Sony has PSN on top of the upcoming PS Now. Yet MS are the only ones that want more services? Okay. Sure.

I don't know how many times you need to hear this, but apparently it's at least one more...

PS Now is irrelevant in the context of this discussion.

ps+ and GWG are clearly similar programmes although not actual rivals as far as the consumer is concerned as both would be required in the first place.

PSNow:

1. Streaming of incompatible back-catalogue in respect to ps4.

2. It's aiming to be much more than streamed ps3 games on ps4. It might be how it initially rolls out, but there's a much larger plan. It's PlayStation content on not only PlayStation devices but Sony televisions (no console!) and even other 3rd party hardware (other TVs? tablets?).

This thread is concerned with EA Access, Sony's PR regarding turning down the service and how genuine that might be, other reasons there might be away from the content of their PR and the reasoning why MS chose to allow it.

Compare Access to ps+ and GWG if you must, they at least have some parallels, unlike PS Now.

EA Access will go hand in hand with Xbox Live because people will need Xbox Live to play EA games online. I think it's pretty obvious that Sony said no to EA Access due them not wanting it to take attention away from PS Now.

People need ps+ to play EA games online... that doesn't mean it goes hand-in-hand with ps+. The likelihood of any EA game appearing on plus or GWG fall through the floor or become relegated to even older versions of the yearly franchises.

Whats with ending your posts as questions, you think you are Gandalf?

OK, I admit to giggling like a girl at that one.

Can you provide sources for this. EA and Microsoft worked together on Titanfall's exclusivity, and have done co-marketing deals. That doesn't means they're in a big partnership, just like Sony pushing the majority of Destiny's marketing doesn't mean there's a big conspiracy between them and Activision.

I know it's fun to think of Microsoft and EA as two supervillains plotting together, but just because they shared some co-marketing deals and an exclusive doesn't mean they're now bessie mates who do everything together. Making a third-party subscription service work on Xbox Live is completely different to publishing an exclusive or co-marketing a game.

If you watch the E3 conference from 2013, they announce it there along with:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/ea-microsoft-ink-strategic-partnership-for-xbox-one/

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/29/ea-we-arent-favouring-microsoft-over-sony

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea...nership-on-next-gen-xbox-report/1100-6404552/

I've played 1217 hours and 15 minutes of BF4, preordered the PS3, PS4 and Premium for that game and I've already pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition of Hardline. Please don't think I'm some nonsensical troll hating on EA just because I have time to waste.

Corto

Preferencial deals, co-marketing partnerships, exclusivities don't mean there's a conspiracy, you're right. Just mean exactly that, that those companies find it beneficial for both of them to have those deals in place. EA and Microsoft made that evaluation and decided to go ahead with this deal, Sony didn't. You are right from the start, this ar businesses acting like a business for their own benefit. On the long run though, those that treat their customers the best, and give them the best value for their money will benefit further.

unbias

How else would you find new genres that you like? I wasn't really interested in roguelike games until I tried a couple unique ones.

I've always been kind of interested in FIFA, but never into soccer all that much and not sold enough on how much I'd play to actually buy one for $60, even though I have a couple friends who buy every one and think they're awesome. They play and follow soccer, I don't...it's really just that simple.

But the idea of having FIFA for a $30 for the year payment was interesting. Getting BF4 and Madden as well, turning the disc copies I already had into digital ones, was a great bonus for convenience. I'd probably have paid the $30 for just those three things, but having NHL and Dragon Age a week early is nice as well. Madden...we'll see. I guess it's nice to have the ability to demo it, since I'm not really sold on the game yet.

Sure for people curious about a game, and want to try it and it is being offered for $5, ya that makes sense. However that does not inherently mean people are interested in what games are currently being offered and since we dont know what they will have from month to month unless you are interested in the current titles available there is no reason to be excited for this until we see more. Also, you dont have FIFA for 30 a year, you get to play fifa for a certain period of time for 5 a month or 30 a year, and then potentially get games you do not enjoy.

Sounds like a fantastic service to me. Enjoy playing Madden but not enough to buy it every year. This would work out great for someone like myself. I understand it's not for everyone and it's an option that everyone has. It's not being forced upon you.

If you like it, get it. If you dont, then dont sign up. Simple as that.

jem0208

Sounds like a fantastic service to me. Enjoy playing Madden but not enough to buy it every year. This would work out great for someone like myself. I understand it's not for everyone and it's an option that everyone has. It's not being forced upon you.

If you like it, get it. If you dont, then dont sign up. Simple as that.
The problem comes when the platform holder prevents users from using the service to protect their bottom line.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
As a PC gamer who has had to suffer through the forced fragmentation of EA from the other distribution channels, I think that people should be wary of this service. PC gamers don't have more choice thanks to Origin, they have less.

I know this is a post from the very beginning of the thread but my response to it basically encapsulates all of my feelings on the matter so I'm typing it up anyway.

I am baffled that people are happy for less options, and no choice...

I do not want games to move from a state of actual ownership to some kind of subscription or perpetual rental model. I do not want any steps towards this outcome to occur. It feels like the inevitable result of steps in that direction is normal product sales being axed in favor of a more profitable perpetually-demanding-money scheme. Things like the state of cable internet have shown me that consumer dissatisfaction doesn't do shit in most markets, so I don't feel like we'll be able to return to conventional sales models from subscription-based ones even if the contempt from it is near-universal. I want us to never get there to begin with.

Therefore, yes, I am happy that other consumers are being denied the choice to screw us over in the long run.

EdgeXL

I know this is a post from the very beginning of the thread but my response to it basically encapsulates all of my feelings on the matter so I'm typing it up anyway.

I do not want games to move from a state of actual ownership to some kind of subscription or perpetual rental model. I do not want any steps towards this outcome to occur. It feels like the inevitable result of steps in that direction is normal product sales being axed in favor of

They already have. See PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, Games with Gold.

You say this as if Sony was forced to put online gaming behind a paywall. Sony did it for the very same reason MS did it.

Sony did it because competition forced them to. You can't give away that much money and still compete with your competitors.

If Sony "did it for the same reason MS did it", the PS3 would have implemented it 8 years ago.

Sony did it because competition forced them to. You can't give away that much money and still compete with your competitors.

If Sony "did it for the same reason MS did it", the PS3 would have implemented it 8 years ago.

Sony did it so they could have a constant stream of revenue just like Live.

Dunlop

That makes no sense at all. Adding a paywall makes you more competetive?

If you are talking about the Sony's money reserves vs Microsoft are needed to compete, they are not even in the same category.

Microsoft has more money than Sony ever will

Gestault

We've made incredible investments into the Playstation 4 platform to allow us to make the decisions that decide our viability. We try to have as much freedom for publishers and developers to price and distribute their products to buyers, particularly in a digital context. That relationship is key to our success, and we take great pride in nurturing that dynamic. This being said, part of our justification for these efforts and investments is so that we have strategic oversight of the overall marketplace on out platform. Decisions outside of our control by third parties of those offerings can have repercussions for our entire marketplace. EA already offers its range of titles to customers through the Playstation Plus program, to the benefit of both companies and its customers alike. A redundant set of offerings has risks, both in the short and long term, for any managed marketplace. We'll happily watch the developments of the EA Access program, but for reasons important to both Sony itself and it's customers, we won't be integrating it into our marketplace at this time.

-Sony's response, in my dreams.

I think the offering shouldn't be restricted, but this is the justification I can understand, given their decision.

Corto

-Sony's response, in my dreams.

I think the offering shouldn't be restricted, but this is the justification I can understand, given their decision.

What is that? Sony made another statement about this or is just someone else rewording/explanation?

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.

And?

That will likely happen anyway. Sony doesn't own EA games. If I am an EA stock-holder I want to know why we aren't maximizing the value of our products and instead allowing Sony to turn a profit with PS+.

Oh believe me, I understand why EA wants to do it. That alone would give me pause, and should do for anyone paying attention to EA's shenanigans over the past 10 years.

As a consumer the EA vault is a better service because you don't have to subscribe every single month to unlock your two free games for PS4. You can drop off and drop back on when the value works for you and the vault won't have disappeared (EA does need to be more transparent about how games are added and when they are lost).

With PS+ and GwG it's like a mystery box you are paying 5 dollars a month for. Is it a game I already own? No value for you. Is it a game I've always wanted to play? Congrats you win this month! Is it a game I don't like? Haha, sucker.
How is 4 random EA games better than 6 random games from any number of publishers? I don't get it. Unless someone really likes EA games I guess. Do you just like the fact that you can go month by month? Personally I don't see that being that amazing a distinction.

Theoretically this could kill GwG and PS+ or at least force those platform holders to reform to keep the value there. Maybe this means they have to start putting more money into development so that they have a steady flow of games. Maybe it forces them into a first party and indie vault style program where they don't just hand you a mystery box every month.
I don't understand, how is the EA Access not a mystery box too? Just because they announced their first 4 games?

But the idea that we should quash consumer choice because it might negatively impact something else is silly and would kill innovation.

Guys, I like my DVD collection, let's not do HDTV because it makes them look bad and I'll need to replace my movies.

Like HDTV and Bluray ended DVDs reign it's because it was a better offer for consumers. The only way this EA program will strongly impact PS+ is if it's better and forces a change. If it's a worse service it will die and PS+ will win.
I think the idea that every platform holder should bend to EA's will on matters like this no matter what effect it will have on the quality of their service is also silly. In no possible way does your DVD analogy compare to this situation.

EdgeXL

Then why hasn't Nintendo or any PC game publisher implemented a paywall for online multiplayer?

EdgeXL

Lots of PC games have subscription fees.

Nintendo hasn't because they're 10 years behind on anything online; to charge for their MP would be a joke.

Subscription fees for MMO type games are another beast entirely. I mean, DCUO used to have a subscrption fee on PSN and nobody complained about that.

But I don't see a single PC publisher like EA, Take Two, Ubisoft, etc that charges a fee just to play their games online (MMOs not withstanding.)

Sony charges for online multiplayer because they want to. They even said it will help them finance upgrades to PSN.

Subscription fees for MMO type games are another beast entirely. I mean, DCUO used to have a subscrption fee on PSN and nobody complained about that.

But I don't see a single PC publisher like EA, Take Two, Ubisoft, etc that charges a fee just to play their games online (MMOs not withstanding.)

Sony charges for online multiplayer because they want to. They even said it will help them finance upgrades to PSN.
I agree there is a difference but functionally speaking, I don't see a huge divide between Microsoft or Sony charging for online multiplayer for (almost) all games across their system, and Blizzard charging a subscription for World of Warcraft.

I think Sony just saw a lot of money being left on the table and they went for it. I had no problem with paying for Live and I have even less of a problem paying for PS+ because of the Instant Game Collection.

the_champ

Banned
We are talking about PS+ and PS Now technically. It wouldn't be good enough because Sony has control over the service and the platform. Essentially EA would have pretty much total control over their service on Sony's platform, under Sony's services.

At the end, Sony is looking for a walled garden on Playstation ecosystem. Which is reasonable from a business perspective, but at the same time less convenient to consumers (mainly because that means less competition, in fact its a monopoly).
Microsoft strategy with Live would have been the same IF they wouldnt running behind PS4. Since they need to catch up competition, they need to open the game to companies like EA to increase perceived value of the platform. Its the very same scenario Sony was facing on previous generation: They needed to offer more value through PS+ to catch up initial 360 advantage. That's how market economy works. And its fine.

This is slowly turning into Sony vs MS fanboy shit.

Yeah, Sony's PR statement is bullshit and sounds anti consumer. Anyone with common sense knows there's more to it. 1. The want to protect their services on their hardware. 2. EA is EA and there's possibly more about this program then we know.

That's it. You can cry to your face is blue about how this is anti consumer. And even though you're technically right this has nothing with Sony being arrogant or pissing on the face of gamers.

Oh, Why isn't this coming to Wii U again? #datconsumerchoice

icespide

Banned

Yeah, Sony's PR statement is bullshit and sounds anti consumer. Anyone with common sense knows there's more to it. 1. The want to protect their services on their hardware. 2. EA is EA and there's possibly more about this program then we know.

That's it. You can cry to your face is blue about how this is anti consumer. And even though you're technically right this has nothing with Sony being arrogant or pissing on the face of gamers.

what EA games would you have access to on Wii U? Mass effect 3?

Dunlop

I'm firewalled at work so am blocked but I listed the link pages ago of the entire EA Wii-U catalogue

Pretty sure there are 5 total and the newest game is Fifa13

pretending that Nintendo's online infrastructure could handle this, none of the games in the vault are on the WiiU

In fact here is every EA game on the WiiU

http://www.ea.com/ca/wiiu

Afrikan

I've always felt they started charging online because they had to answer to their shareholders, who were seeing Live make Microsoft millions. Sure there had to be some in Sony's building that have wanted to push for fees for a while now, but I think the majority felt free online was the way to still go....but I think with the State Sony was in financial wise, they had little choice but to answer to their shareholders.

Steroyd

That makes no sense at all. Adding a paywall makes you more competetive?

Well according to the folks who chose XBL and kept calling PSN subpar which culminated with the phrase "you get what you pay for" when the PSN hack happened... So yes adding a paywall for online play makes them more "competitive" in this case because reasons.

EdgeXL

I would argue that Sony's response (which you yourself said was bullshit) and their actions are good indicators of their arrogance.

correct me if I'm wrong but for games with a subscription fee, PS+ isn't required on top of that

wasn't my point though, was replying to post #3533. PC has subscription MMOs, but outside these games, playing online is free. PS4 also has subscription MMOs, but outside these games, playing online is not free.

Dunlop

I appluad Sony. Subscriptions in general need to fuck off. Remember when we could put our games in and just play?

but.....you need to subscribe to PS+ if you want to play multiplayer outside of F2P

If you take that stance Sony is equally to blame

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

That's because 'Games for Windows - Live' happened. If they could charge for online they would.

what EA games would you have access to on Wii U? Mass effect 3?

I'm firewalled at work so am blocked but I listed the link pages ago of the entire EA Wii-U catalogue

Pretty sure there are 5 total and the newest game is Fifa13

Let me get this straight. EA believes Wii U isn't worth a damn to port their games. That isn't anti consumer...? EA doesn't give a shit about Nintendo or their fans. But i guess that's cool since it's best for business for EA.

I would argue that Sony's response (which you yourself said was bullshit) and their actions are good indicators of their arrogance.

Arrogance is a bit of a stretch don't you think? EA is the king of arrogance blackballing many companies including Sony. They're not going into business with them on this particular venture. I don't blame them at all really.

Synth

I really don't get the argument. The consumer can still vote with their wallets. If this is such an amazing deal, we'll see an increase in X1 sales. If not, then obviously it really isn't that big a deal.

What? This is a ridiculous measure of if the program is worthwhile or not. Its primary target is people that want to try some games out for cheap. It's a nice value add, but it's hardly going to be why someone spends $400 on a console to gain access... Not everything has be a fucking Wii Sports to be worth having as an option.

If anything, it being accessable on multiple platforms would be the best way to determine whether or not it has worth. If Netflix streaming was restricted to Windows Phone because Google and Apple said "nah, we don't see the value in that for our consumers", then it would have been far less likely to take off. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have been seen as an amazing deal in an alternate universe (ours) where Apple and Google didn't go out of their way to fuck it up before it even got started.

I don't have a problem with origin as a stated before nor do I feel every game needs to go through steam. So please stop with the false equivalencies. I am simply pointing out that given their behavior with Origin that the situation could turn even worse when they are given a choice to lock content behind a subscription on a closed service.

If you can't draw the lines to see how their behavior on an open system might not be to pretty on a closed one then there is really nothing more to say about it.

You used the idea of it becoming "Origin for the consoles" as a reason for why this should be avoided. So I'd hope you have some problems with Origin in order for you to be using its name as some sort of doom scenario. Ignoring the fact that EA simply CANNOT sidestep MS and Sony in the way they sidestepped Valve, would you mind explaining what "Origin for the consoles" is supposed to entail? Origin works for EA on the PC because it allows them to see 100% of each sale. They don't charge you to use it, as that would simply ensure that they'd have a drastically reduced potential audience to sell to.

What is this "behaviour on an open system" that you keep bringing up? They're selling their content on their own store. There's nothing wrong with this at all, and is what Valve does. What Blizzard does. What Riot does. What Mojang does. If you have a problem with this, then I can only assume your problem is the absence of EA games on Steam, which prevents what I'm saying from being a false equivalency. You simply do expect them to pay a 30% cut to a middleman in order to see their games on a platform that they can distribute to themselves without problems. None of what they can accomplish on PC with Origin can realistically be applied to the consoles, due to Sony and MS getting their cut regardless of what portal EA adds on top. Not that any of what they've done with Origin so far even warrants being brought up for "behaviour" anyway.

Not even close, unless you are saying that digital purchases and retail games should be treated the same as digital games with licenses locked away behind a third party sub. How can you be so obtuse?

The hell are you even talking about?

EA isn't doing anything to remove your previous options.. they're adding an extra optional way to play their software, much like Sony is with PS Now. You can buy Killzone from Sony in full, and you can buy Battlefield from EA in full. You can also rent a PS3 game from Sony which you don't get to keep, or you can 'rent' from EA via a subscription which you don't get to keep. The main difference is that with PS Now is that it's streamed rather than local, and $5 will get you Metal Gear Solid 4 for 4 hours, rather than $5 getting you 4 current gen EA games for a month...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom