• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's shares tumble to 31 year low (BBC)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
wait so the one example of two divisions of sony working together and they're saying that it was bad?

that doesnt seem like the best way to build some sort of working nature within sony.

Haven't noticed yet how monopolies and lack of choice in any consumer industry is always a bad thing?

Hope that helps.

Did you just come back from high school econ? Can you share what else your teacher taught you?

Do you live in a world where social and mobile gaming is not posing a significant challenge to traditional console gaming (including downward price pressure)? Where dedicated portables are struggling mightily having to adapt to said challenges? Where cloud gaming looms on the near horizon?

MercuryLS

Banned
I for one do not want to see MS as the only high-end console player, so I hope Sony can turn things around. I don't have a lot of faith in them though.

There is only one man who can save this company...

ken-kutaragi-retires-from-sony-20070426113242563-000.jpg

The little green guy in the bottom right corner? As good a chance as Kaz has, I guess.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's time for One Sony (Kaz was teasing us that it's the new strategy for Sony, but it's also an actual product!)

TV + PS4 + Blu Ray all in one.
Best in class TV, PS4 obviously comes with new PSN that takes notes from Live/Vita's PSN, box comes with access to PS Suite which now plays all Android games and others, SEN portal brings you Music + Video Unlimited and takes care of all other streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go etc)

Thank me later, Sony.

That'd be revolutionary!!!!111!

images

because people obviously looooove combos where you gotta get rid of all your shit in case you just wanna upgrade one component of that chain

Did you just come back from high school econ? Can you share what else your teacher taught you?

ect. ect. ect, same regurgitated nonsense about mobile gaming being unstoppable and something about cloud gaming, ect. "people like you don't really get it," ect. and some more hand waving.

But hey, remember that post you made wishing for a one console industry? I just wanted to say again I think that's a hilariously bad idea.

Do you live in a world where social and mobile gaming is not posing a significant challenge to traditional console gaming (including downward price pressure)? Where dedicated portables are struggling mightily having to adapt to said challenges? Where cloud gaming looms on the near horizon?

So you agree that competition is good....but you relish the idea of less competition. Ok.

Utako

Banned
Apple will become the dominant 3rd-party gaming platform, and gaming will finally line up with the movie and music industries.

Bombastic AAA titles that try to please as many people as possible, balanced by tasteful indie experiences for the more discerning gamer.

Averon

No, but they should focus their energy into only a few key products.

They are now. Under Kaz, they will focus on gaming, digital imaging, and mobile. Along with focus, Sony needs to drastically cut down the amount of product they produce. Their hands being in every cookie jar is one of the reasons they are in the situation they are in.

Untrue. 50 million of those PS2 Sales were made post 360 launch.

48.5 Million post PS3 launch

PS3 Worldwide Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
Hardware Sales   Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY       LTD

FY 2006/07         -        -       1.7      1.8      3.5      3.5

FY 2007/08        0.7      1.3      4.9      2.2      9.1      12.6 

FY 2008/09        1.6      2.4      4.5      1.6      10.1     22.7 

FY 2009/10        1.1      3.2      6.5      2.2      13.0     35.7

FY 2010/11        2.4      3.5      6.3      2.1      14.3     50.0

FY 2011/12        1.8      3.7      6.5      1.9      13.9     63.9

PS2 Worldwide Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:

FY 2006/07         -        -       6.7      2.4      9.1      9.1

FY 2007/08        2.7      3.2      5.4      2.4      13.7     22.8 

FY 2008/09        1.5      2.5      2.5      1.4      7.9      30.7 

FY 2009/10        1.6      1.9      2.1      1.7      7.3      38.0

FY 2010/11        1.6      1.5      2.1      1.2      6.4      44.4

FY 2011/12        1.4      1.2      0.9      0.6      4.1      48.5

Difference is, Sony went from 1st place to 3rd place.
Sony has shipped 112.4 M home consoles since Oct 2006.No one else comes close.It's no small feat,when you consider the fact that the Wii and its successor will ship 10.5 million units combined during their first fiscal year.

Even if we conveniently decide to ignore PS2 shipments just to be able to shout "Sony is dead last",the PS3 has managed to be the most shipped console since Jan 2010.

Code:
        Global Shipments   (Unit: Million)          

(Jan 2010 - Mar 2012)                                            

PS3       30.4   (14.4 + 14.1 + 1.9)                                         

Wii       28.4  (17.2 + 10.32 + 0.88)      

360       28.4   (12.1 + 14.9 + 1.4)

Considering Sony's competitive advantage in the emerging markets,it's clear that 30 million won't be enough.

Why would that matter?

Sony shipped 101.37m PS2's from 2000-2005, in 5 years time. And 115.36m at the end of 2006.

After 5½ years, in about the same time-frame, and actually in favour of the PS3 + ½ year, Sony shipped 63.9m PS3's. That's about half of what the PS2 did.

That's incorrect.

The gap between the PS2 and the PS3 is close to 25 million and,curiously,has not changed over the last couple of years or so.

1_thumb.jpg

We're talking marketshare not profits. Sony still has enough marketshare in gaming that they'll be around for some time. In fact the gaming audience is so fickle they could be back to number one next gen.

Sony's marketshare at the beginning of this generation came at the expense of profit. They had to competitively price the PS3 because of increased market pressure from Nintendo and MS, which resulted in massive losses. They got into a price war with MS that they could never win due to the arcade SKU and LIVE subs, and it took them 5 years to reach the day one mass market pricing of the Wii.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Parmenides said:

Thanks for doing the legwork on pulling up the figures. Nice to know my quick post was pretty much on the money, especially if you consider the PS3 launch was staggered with its best performing market segment (EU) only launching in March 2007.

It just shows how distorted the perceptions of the Playstation brand's performance have become that this stuff needs highlighting.

What's funny to me is that if you're a Sony fan/anti-fan there's more than enough REAL bad stuff to comment upon, without all these misperceptions throwing more dirt onto their grave!

That TV business has to be dealt with soon... they can make really good TV's, but those prices are pretty absurd. They need to force themselves to be more competitive price wise or let the business go for now. Bring the TV business back when the rest of the company begins to grow again, assuming that Kaz can get the company turned around. He doesn't seem to have much time right now with investors and analysts breathing down his neck already.

Kaz needs to get to work... it is hard to see Sony continually fall like they are.

Sony should do something a little different at E3 and CES... Use E3 as an overarching place to a bunch of new Sony tech so they can announce new phones, media players (both with a gaming presence) and the standard gaming stuff at the conference and then have it available for everyone to check out together at the booth. CES is obviously the biggest place for new general tech, but Sony could start putting more effort to announcing big games and stuff there too during the CES conference. Obviously, there would be kinks in there that have to be worked out, but it would be good for them to have as much media presence for everything in the company as possible.

1-D_FTW

I blame Sony music for Sony missing the MP3 player train. Sony has too many cooks in the kitchen.

Except that's all part of the chicken and egg argument. Sony bought up the media content companies for this very reason. They changed focus after the failure of the beta-max. They reasoned if they owned the content, they could control the format wars. So I'm sure Sony music was just doing what Sony wanted them to do (and supporting whatever crazy ass proprietary format Sony was pushing at the time).

Rand6

Yeah another thread about "Sony is already dead" and this time it's about its shares price!

Why not one about this? : http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/7974:JP

PS4 obviously comes with new PSN that takes notes from Live/Vita's PSN, box comes with access to PS Suite which now plays all Android games and others, SEN portal brings you Music + Video Unlimited and takes care of all other streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go etc)

Thank me later, Sony.

I'm sure we will end up with something like this ;)

DBT85

Except that's all part of the chicken and egg argument. Sony bought up the media content companies for this very reason. They changed focus after the failure of the beta-max. They reasoned if they owned the content, they could control the format wars. So I'm sure Sony music was just doing what Sony wanted them to do (and supporting whatever crazy ass proprietary format Sony was pushing at the time).

Betamax wasn't a failure. It just lost the home format war. Sony made a fucking mint on the Beta format from broadcast companies, from every tape made by every manufacturer, from every deck that cost a broadcaster tens of thousands of $/£.

The building I'm sitting in alone had at its peak about 30 beta machines plus thousands and thousands of new tape stock every year. These then got replaced with digibeta machines at even more expense. Consider that every broadcaster in the WORLD used Beta machines, cameras and stock since it's introduction in 1982 to about 5 years ago when more companies started going server based.

Even now many still have the decks and need new stock.

They might have missed out on the home market, but they sure didn't miss out financially as a result.

knitoe

I don't know why some people want a PS phone; you think the vita has a bad battery life now. just imagine what it'll be with a constant signal connection.

you'd always have to worry that if you play a game for any extended period of time, you won't have enough battery to last the rest of the day.

Yeah. That really hurt the iPhone success given they really only have around 3 hours of heavy gaming...

1-D_FTW

Betamax wasn't a failure. It just lost the home format war. Sony made a fucking mint on the Beta format from broadcast companies, from every tape made by every manufacturer, from every deck that cost a broadcaster tens of thousands of $/£.

The building I'm sitting in alone had at its peak about 30 beta machines plus thousands and thousands of new tape stock every year. These then got replaced with digibeta machines at even more expense. Consider that every broadcaster in the WORLD used Beta machines, cameras and stock since it's introduction in 1982 to about 5 years ago when more companies started going server based.

Even now many still have the decks and need new stock.

They might have missed out on the home market, but they sure didn't miss out financially as a result.

I know. But they still wanted that home market and it forever changed their approach after losing to an inferior format. It's what led to their obsession with never losing formats again. It's why they purchased those media companies. So they could control the home markets.

And I don't remember the exact specifics, but I do remember when the ipod first came out, that Sony was pushing yet another goofy format with their portables. I don't think it's fair to blame Sony Music for blowing the MP3 opportunity. Sony HQ was driving that bus.

DBT85

I know. But they still wanted that home market and it forever changed their approach after losing to an inferior format. It's what led to their obsession with never losing formats again. It's why they purchased those media companies. So they could control the home markets.

And I don't remember the exact specifics, but I do remember when the ipod first came out, that Sony was pushing yet another goofy format with their portables. I don't think it's fair to blame Sony Music for blowing the MP3 opportunity. Sony HQ was driving that bus.

My apologies, my comment wan't meant as an argument against what you were saying, simply a reminder of something many do not know. Most assume that since they all went out and bought VHS machines that Sony were sitting in a corner with no friends.

My experience with Sony electronics has always been that while it was generally technically great, their biggest issue was sticking to file formats that nobody wanted to use. They wanted it their way and probably for some good reason but they never really thought about what people wanted, just what Sony thought they should have.

wait so the one example of two divisions of sony working together and they're saying that it was bad?

that doesnt seem like the best way to build some sort of working nature within sony.

Imagine a division within Apple that pushed not to release the iPod. Would they be good or bad for the company?

Furoba

Pretty crazy their profits from their banking division amount to as much as all the other profitable divisions combined...

noobie

Banned

PS3 Worldwide Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:

FY 2006/07         -        -       1.7      1.8      3.5      3.5

FY 2007/08        0.7      1.3      4.9      2.2      9.1      12.6 

FY 2008/09        1.6      2.4      4.5      1.6      10.1     22.7 

FY 2009/10        1.1      3.2      6.5      2.2      13.0     35.7

FY 2010/11        2.4      3.5      6.3      2.1      14.3     50.0

FY 2011/12        1.8      3.7      6.5      1.9      13.9     63.9

PS2 Worldwide Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:

FY 2006/07         -        -       6.7      2.4      9.1      9.1

FY 2007/08        2.7      3.2      5.4      2.4      13.7     22.8 

FY 2008/09        1.5      2.5      2.5      1.4      7.9      30.7 

FY 2009/10        1.6      1.9      2.1      1.7      7.3      38.0

FY 2010/11        1.6      1.5      2.1      1.2      6.4      44.4

FY 2011/12        1.4      1.2      0.9      0.6      4.1      48.5

Sony has shipped 112.4 M home consoles since Oct 2006.No one else comes close.It's no small feat,when you consider the fact that the Wii and its successor will ship 10.5 million units combined during their first fiscal year.

Even if we conveniently decide to ignore PS2 shipments just to be able to shout "Sony is dead last",the PS3 has managed to be the most shipped console since Jan 2010.

Code:
        Global Shipments   (Unit: Million)          

(Jan 2010 - Mar 2012)                                            

PS3       30.4   (14.4 + 14.1 + 1.9)                                         

Wii       28.4  (17.2 + 10.32 + 0.88)      

360       28.4   (12.1 + 14.9 + 1.4)

Considering Sony's competitive advantage in the emerging markets,it's clear that 30 million won't be enough.

That's incorrect.

The gap between the PS2 and the PS3 is close to 25 million and,curiously,has not changed over the last couple of years or so.

1_thumb.jpg

Can you tell how much PS1 shipped between the launch of the PS2 uptil the launch of PS3.
Its interesting to see Playstation family sold 110+ million in last five years.. so like to see how much Playstation family sold during the initial 5 yrs of PS2

Top Bottom