• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Shawn Layden emphasizes diverse teams; "it's important our development teams look like our fans"

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Source of the interview.

"We empower our development studios to constantly push the boundaries of gaming and give them opportunities to experiment and explore," Layden said. "We encourage them to take risks. We enable a culture that learns from mistakes and failures. As leaders, we encourage developers to act fearlessly and share new ideas. We try to be approachable, available, and responsive. "
As an example, he pointed to Sucker Punch, developer of the Sly Cooper and Infamous series of games. When the studio sat down to create a game that would take advantage of the PlayStation 4 Pro hardware, Layden said the natural option was to build a new Infamous game. But the studio instead suggested Ghost of Tsushima, a samurai action game. Layden was particularly impressed that the Seattle-area studio successfully pitched a historical project set in Japan to Japanese executives at a Japanese parent company.
"We're very proud of the fact that this was a 100% American development team researching and honoring another culture, and its history and its beauty," he said.
Of course, there's more to fostering creativity than just telling people to take risks. Development teams can be set up in such a way that lends itself to creativity, from the physical space where they work to the composition of the team itself.
"As we broaden the tent for our games and we welcome those from every part of the world and every background, it's important our development teams look like our fans," Layden said. "It's important that we have a wide range of voices if we are to exceed the expectations of our audience
"People with different backgrounds bring new perspectives. They help ignite the creative spark by thinking differently. If your teams all look the same and act the same, if they all share the same history and the same point of view, your products will not evolve and will eventually become lackluster and unimaginative. Sameness is the death of innovation and creativity."
He also pointed to Dreams developer Media Molecule as an example of that mindset proven out.
"The Media Molecule team is now roughly one-third female, but this has required a conscious effort and greater outreach, from being more experimental with recruitment and welcoming more interns and even young school groups," Layden said, noting that the studio partnered with Girls Make Games to have a Dreams game development workshop recently.
---

Virex

Banned
vLSC9io.png

FranXico

Shawn Layden said:
We're very proud of the fact that this was a 100% American development [...]
People with different backgrounds bring new perspectives. They help ignite the creative spark by thinking differently. If your teams all look the same and act the same, if they all share the same history and the same point of view, your products will not evolve and will eventually become lackluster and unimaginative. Sameness is the death of innovation and creativity.

Nymphae

Banned
If your teams all look the same and act the same, if they all share the same history and the same point of view, your products will not evolve and will eventually become lackluster and unimaginative. Sameness is the death of innovation and creativity.

This is just taking it a bit far I think. Somehow I don't think Sony would be critical of an all black dev team of a non-diverse background. To say that not only is diversity a strength, but that teams made up of people of similar backgrounds are necessarily going to be less innovative or creative, is absolute bullshit. Talented people make good games, period.

Currently the belief in corporate-land is that people want their companies to be socially conscious and while the short term ramifications might be a bit troublesome, the long term benefits far outweigh that. It's all extremely cynical of course as it's just surface level nonsense but it's here and will likely be here to stay for a decade or two if not more I'm guessing. If current political winds are anything to go by at least.

The Media Molecule team is now roughly one-third female, but this has required a conscious effort and greater outreach, from being more experimental with recruitment and welcoming more interns and even young school groups," Layden said, noting that the studio partnered with Girls Make Games to have a Dreams game development workshop recently.

We're not being discriminatory, we're being experimental.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Haha. I think we found our daily snowflake signup thread. Thumbs up, Sony. (y)

Better quote since it does more justice to the sentiment:

Yep. This is the TRIGGERED thread for those that are scared of the word diversity. And that quoted sentence is perfect. Too bad most here will never appreaciate it.

DanielsM

Banned
You would think the Chairman Chairperson of a subsidiary of a 100k employee global company would know what he is implying is actually against the employment and discrimination statutory laws in the United States and probably every state of the Union, in which, his company is actively employing and recruiting.

Shawn, do us (and probably Sony) all a favor, go play Days Gone and let the developers and other people figure how all this works, because frankly, you're trying way too hard. If you want some additional diversity in your life, you could consider going over to Sucker Punch and asking them, if they have an early GoT build to let you play.

DanielsM

Banned
Meh... I guess that's just what normal PR is nowadays...
Which reminds me.. I have to add "Ultra gay" to my CV, nobody will hire me if they think I am straight, since I'm already white (stupid pale skin :messenger_face_steam:).

Yeah, but just think, eventually a developer is going to want to make a generic game - you be the perfect actor for the mo-cap. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom