• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida: newly announced product at CES 2014 (VR headset?)

Something new from CES:

ces2014_17-52ca6e39055dc.jpg

sonyvrh4uiv.jpg

This is most probably some GoPro camera setup for filming in extreme situations.... however.... those cables bug me. Why would they have cabling for this?

Could this be their VR setup?

New HMD?

Durante

VR doesn't need head tracking and shit like that anyway, at least not yet. I would prefer a simple solution, because in the end we will still be using the controllers so I would rather control the camera with them. Just get me that 3D display VR headset, that can be used for movies also.
Head tracking (very fast, responsive and accurate head tracking) is absolutely essential for VR.

Optimally, first person games should be designed to produce a sensation of 1:1 true to life scale (orthostereoscopy). This will require a number of physical variables to be taken into account (e.g. an individual's IPD, lens type if there are choices, distance from lens, etc...), and a shit ton of software variables to be scaled to match them.
Note that all of these parameters can already be queried within the Rift DK API. I agree that half-hearted VR support could be very damaging to VR as a whole.

DieH@rd

Banned
That little blue spot on the left side totally looks like a blue led light covered with some kind of tape.

Maybe it is there so the PsEye can track movement?

3 or more points would be much better for real position tracking and rotation. Especially since this one point is on the right side of the face, it can easily be obscured during gameplay when you are looking away.

I dont think this is VR hardware. Its some elaborate camera setup...

onQ123

3 or more points would be much better for real position tracking and rotation. Especially since this one point is on the right side of the face, it can easily be obscured during gameplay when you are looking away.

I dont think this is VR hardware. Its some elaborate camera setup...

Maybe it's mimicking this set up.
sony-hmz-t1-datura-virtual-reality-600x363.jpg

vpance

The Avegant isn't even really being targeted as a VR solution though.

"While the display quality might have been amazing with the right content, the 45 degree field of view positions the Avegant HMD more toward consumption of existing content than immersive virtual reality. Tang told me that Avegant wants to support the massive library of existing content and games that are out today rather than waiting for the creation of immersive VR content."

Still sounds cool, but like Sony's HMZ line it's not a real VR HMD. Down the line I'm sure that tech could be used for a much wider fov, but for the time being it's not cost efficient.

I didn't see where it said it wasn't cost efficient. The point I was making was, the tech doesn't seem to be vaporware. Whether or not a small FOV is an inherent weakness of the tech is another question. But from what I can see it has the potential to be much better than any fixed display VR solution. If you check out the impressions, they're saying the perceived resolution feels much higher despite it only outputting 1280x720 x 2. No screen door effect!

Sounds limited. Looks like if you wear glasses you're screwed.

No, you don't need your glasses with this. It's supposed to have diopters built in, and it'll be lighter and smaller than any OR style HMD. Edit: Here it is

Another difference between this and the Oculus--you're not supposed to wear it over your glasses. The Virtual Retinal Display has a built-in diopter system that lets you focus each eye independently using a click wheel.

http://www.tested.com/tech/459020-hands-avegants-virtual-retinal-display-prototype/

Are people serious about those pictures showing a display? There's obviously two completely different goggle designs there, it's just a strap mounted camera or something like that.

iceatcs

Are people serious about those pictures showing a display? There's obviously two completely different goggle designs there, it's just a strap mounted camera or something like that.

Yeah I agreed that it seem not for VR and maybe even not AR goggle as well. Look like just "GoPro" attachment on goggle.

I suspect some here are confuse with a lady who have "Sony" necklaces. I think everyone in CES have like that, not mean that she is working for Sony.

Everyone forgetting that in 2010 Microsoft business plans call for VR glasses in 2014.

xboxglasses.jpg

WiFi in 2014 or USB 3, both the XB1 and PS4 support WiFi direct (PS4 does not support NFC but the XB1 does).... but compressed or uncompressed video? Both the PS4 and XB1 have a h.264 hardware codec that can be used to compress the video. DRM support would be needed if the glasses are to also be used for movies and TV programming.

USB 3 is faster than WiFi direct and supports a power line as well......cheaper less expensive alternative.

EVIL

I didn't see where it said it wasn't cost efficient. The point I was making was, the tech doesn't seem to be vaporware. Whether or not a small FOV is an inherent weakness of the tech is another question. But from what I can see it has the potential to be much better than any fixed display VR solution. If you check out the impressions, they're saying the perceived resolution feels much higher despite it only outputting 1280x720 x 2. No screen door effect!
Thats not surprising, since it doesnt wrap that resolution across a 90 degree field of view with optics. (like placing a looking glass over a monitor)

DieH@rd

Banned
WiFi in 2014 or USB 3, both the XB1 and PS4 support WiFi direct (PS4 does not support NFC but the XB1 does).... but compressed or uncompressed video? Both the PS4 and XB1 have a h.264 hardware codec that can be used to compress the video. DRM support would be needed if the glasses are to also be used for movies and TV programming.

USB 3 is faster than WiFi direct and supports a power line as well......cheaper less expensive alternative.

H264 compression latency will absolutely force Sony and MS to rely on HDMI cables for delivering image to their VR/AR solutions. Oculus VR claims that 20ms latency is cruical for eliminating nausea. Vita Remote Play definetley showcases that PS4 does not have top of the line military grade encoding hw [plus any sort of compression artifacting would ruin picture quality in VR setting].

IMHO, Sony will provide cheapo HDMI splitter, wired headset, and call it done. Can HDMI cable power any sort of headset headphones setup in addition of powering display/sensors?

onQ123

Everyone forgetting that in 2010 Microsoft business plans call for VR glasses in 2014.

xboxglasses.jpg

Most of the plans from the leaked documents have been changed so far so I wouldn't read too much into it.

I'm skeptical... Headset based on Rift design needs more space for display and lenses.
There HMDs aren't really based on the rift designs.
Yeah I agreed that it seem not for VR and maybe even not AR goggle as well. Look like just "GoPro" attachment on goggle.

I suspect some here are confuse with a lady who have "Sony" necklaces. I think everyone in CES have like that, not mean that she is working for Sony.

That's definitely a Sony booth. Same font as the new Xperia phone that got leaked.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There HMDs aren't really based on the rift designs.

That's definitely a Sony booth. Same font as the new Xperia phone that got leaked.

Does Sony have any stand other than their own massive booth? Because this is definitely (I think!) from a small exhibitor stand rather than anything in Sony's booth.

H264 compression latency will absolutely force Sony and MS to rely on HDMI cables for delivering image to their VR/AR solutions. Oculus VR claims that 20ms latency is cruical for eliminating nausea. Vita Remote Play definetley showcases that PS4 does not have top of the line military grade encoding hw [plus any sort of compression artifacting would ruin picture quality in VR setting].

IMHO, Sony will provide cheapo HDMI splitter, wired headset, and call it done. Can HDMI cable power any sort of headset headphones setup in addition of powering display/sensors?
PS4 Remote Play Latency Means Some Genres Will Not Work Well' - Sony . So rather than eliminating this feature they have accepted that it won't work well with all games. Also if you know the latency of the system you can somewhat manage it. Using h.264 motion adaptive compression has to look at changes/movement in several video frames, that's what causes the latency. Increase the frame rate to 60 rather than 24 or 30 and you more than half the latency due to compression.

Although it has latency when wired dosent ps4s remote play ability show the ps4 can output 2 images at once. So if this was utilised through a wired connection wouldnt that be even quicker. Then whats the possibility of the headset being able to have a dual oled screen/software configuration that can take these dual images and display in 3d with not much resource strain?

SonnyBoy

If someone would be nice enough to remind me, how do we know that Sony has VR up it's sleeves? Did a GAF insider tip us off?

I hope this is the reason why driveclub has been so quiet.

Shiiiit. That would be awesome. VR is probably my most anticipated tech. I know it's not for everybody but it's definitely my most "anticipated" thing in the future, tech-wise. Even more so than any 4k TV.

I hope this is the reason why driveclub has been so quiet.

I doubt it, but it might help convince them to have a 60fps version for later. I don't think a display would be out until the end of the year at least, but driving games are good candidates if they are really making a wide fov display.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If someone would be nice enough to remind me, how do we know that Sony has VR up it's sleeves? Did a GAF insider tip us off?

I suppose there's a pre-Oculus Rift and a post-Oculus Rift timeline here.

Pre-Oculus Rift, SCE had talked about the future possibility of VR and AR HMDs in a number of contexts. At CES 2009 Sony showed an early prototype of 'see through' glasses for video consumption. They latter, obviously, produced non-optically transmissive HMDs for video consumption in the HMZ line. In 2011 Sony was pushing stereo 3D on PS3, and the team behind the tools for that revealed they were prototyping VR experiences and were engaged in R&D around tracking for VR (this is a team at Evolution studios, made up of some people with ex military and flight sim backgrounds). Separately, various Sony execs have often predicted AR through a HMD at some point.

Post Oculus Rift, Sony demoed a modified HMZ set with tracking and AR at TGS 2012. Then in September last year, reports emerged from Eurogamer that Sony was developing a VR HMD, led by the team at Evolution Studios mentioned above. It supposedly was originally planned to have a 2013 reveal, but was pushed back until 2014 to avoid confusing the pre-PS4 launch message. Sony execs - notably Shuhei Yoshida - often addressed questions about Oculus Rift with some subtle and not so subtle reflections on Sony's own R&D capacity and work.

Then later in 2013, several patents started to emerge from SCE, attributed to people at the Evolution team, around HMDs. A little later again, more HMD patents were published from SCEJ, focussed more on AR applications of an optically transmissive HMD.

And that's pretty much where we are now. Basically an awful lot of smoke.

Oppo

A delicious amount of smoke.

I hope they announce the thing. I want a horse race with this VR headset thing.

SonnyBoy

I suppose there's a pre-Oculus Rift and a post-Oculus Rift timeline here.

Pre-Oculus Rift, SCE had talked about the future possibility of VR and AR HMDs in a number of contexts. At CES 2009 Sony showed an early prototype of 'see through' glasses for video consumption. They latter, obviously, produced non-optically transmissive HMDs for video consumption in the HMZ line. In 2011 Sony was pushing stereo 3D on PS3, and the team behind the tools for that revealed they were prototyping VR experiences and were engaged in R&D around tracking for VR (this is a team at Evolution studios, made up of some people with ex military and flight sim backgrounds). Separately, various Sony execs have often predicted AR through a HMD at some point.

Post Oculus Rift, Sony demoed a modified HMZ set with tracking and AR at TGS 2012. Then in September last year, reports emerged from Eurogamer that Sony was developing a VR HMD, led by the team at Evolution Studios mentioned above. It supposedly was originally planned to have a 2013 reveal, but was pushed back until 2014 to avoid confusing the pre-PS4 launch message. Sony execs - notably Shuhei Yoshida - often addressed questions about Oculus Rift with some subtle and not so subtle reflections on Sony's own R&D capacity and work.

Then later in 2013, several patents started to emerge from SCE, attributed to people at the Evolution team, around HMDs. A little later again, more HMD patents were published from SCEJ, focussed more on AR applications of an optically transmissive HMD.

And that's pretty much where we are now. Basically an awful lot of smoke.

Yup, mort and Demonite. Plus other places too I think.

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.

satam55

Banned

xboxglasses.jpg

The PS4's wireless chip doesn't support WiFi Direct either. It's usually devices that dual-band WiFi that support WiFi Direct.

monome

when I talked a bout Sony's VR plans with birdy, birdy had a grinnish face and did not negate the rumour.

Birdy knows for sure, and I didn't want to spoil the fun in asking for a reply so we moved on.

They really should announce it cos the retail Rift will be there and it's a perfect time to try steal some of that thunder. Assuming it's a decent product and not some lame ass version.

I also really do hope they go for VR as well as other companies because more competition will drive the market forward, I'd hate to see Oculus being the only competent ones with the tech. Looking forward to seeing where VR goes

ORBIS !
Look at the letters behind

Damn I didn't even see that, good eye. You can kinda see it reflected in the visor too. Though that looks like a P and not an R

The PS4's wireless chip doesn't support WiFi Direct either. It's usually devices that dual-band WiFi that support WiFi Direct.

Wifi Direct is just a standard. You do not need it to have direct connection. It is just easier standard to connect/exchange info between wifi devices. Only other of the devices has to be wifi direct cert.
The way wifi works normally is idiotic wich i found out in our project.

SonnyBoy

when I talked a bout Sony's VR plans with birdy, birdy had a grinnish face and did not negate the rumour.

Birdy knows for sure, and I didn't want to spoil the fun in asking for a reply so we moved on.

Do you think it'll be unveiled today?

Slightly Off-topic, but does anyone know a website or something where every piece of news announced at CES is displayed? Many thanks

If we do get a Sony VR headset,
I wonder if it makes it out this year.

Depends how far along they've been working on it. Is this something in reaction to OR? Is it something they've had planned with the PS4? A ton of questions and I'm hoping we get a lot of answers.

They have the manufacturing logistics in place I would assume since they are a hardware manufacturer unlike OR.

Tough to tell, I would assume they'd want it out this year though, maybe a holiday bundle. Most companies want to get stuff out there as quick as possible due to investors.

Top Bottom