• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida: newly announced product at CES 2014 (VR headset?)

Both of you need to read my post before replying:
Your posts can basically be summarized as, "If Sony's solution is shitty, it will be shitty" Well, duh, but why would we assume it's gonna be shitty? Where are they touting HMZ as their VR solution, as you claimed?

Additionally by using a larger single display Oculus was able drastically reduce their cost.
That's because they're using scavenged parts. Smaller displays actually have a lower cost/inch due to yields; it only takes one defect to ruin a 20 in² panel, but if you're making 1 in² panels, you can toss the one with the defect and use the other 19 panels. The reason Oculus moved from a 5" display to a 7" display is because so many more 7" displays are being produced they can benefit from the economies of scale, not because larger displays are inherently cheaper.

Sony can custom design panels of any size and shape they like, and they're likely to produce them in much higher numbers than Oculus will be anyway. Further, Sony don't necessarily need to profit on the hardware, while Oculus do.

I think your brain kinda just accepts it because they're in your peripheral view. Using curved OLED screens would basically solve that issue. Using 2 curved OLED screens, would be the best solution for LED based VR but it would be more expensive.
Actually, I was just reading the flexible panels are cheaper to manufacture, oddly enough.

Can HDMI cable power any sort of headset headphones setup in addition of powering display/sensors?
Sure, HDMI can carry 3D video and 7.1 sound simultaneously. I imagine the sensors will be Bluetooth. I suppose they could use USB, but a dual-plug cable would be kinda ghetto, especially since you'd need to plug one in the front and one in the back.

Then whats the possibility of the headset being able to have a dual oled screen/software configuration that can take these dual images and display in 3d with not much resource strain?
See above. HDMI does 3D video every day.

I hope this is the reason why driveclub has been so quiet.
Could be. If you watch the reveal video, at 3:06 he starts talking about how first-person games "transport you in to their world," and then at 4:32 there's a sequence that looks like it came straight out of a VR. In fact, while I was watching it initially, I was thinking, "WTF? Is that actually how we're gonna interact with this game?? It looks like it's some kind of crazy VR or something. =/"

DieH@rd

Banned
Sure, HDMI can carry 3D video and 7.1 sound simultaneously. I imagine the sensors will be Bluetooth. I suppose they could use USB, but a dual-plug cable would be kinda ghetto, especially since you'd need to plug one in the front and one in the back.

Of course it can carry both audio and video, but I'm interested can it power headphones with enough electricity? If not, they could probably offer additional USB hub for the back AUX port [camera + VR sensors + power for headphones]

Of course it can carry both audio and video, but I'm interested can it power headphones with enough electricity? If not, they could probably offer additional USB hub for the back AUX port [camera + VR sensors + power for headphones]
Oh, I see what you mean. Actually, after I posted criticizing the possibility of a dual-plug connection, it occurred to me you'd probably need to plug in to AC to power the displays anyway, so you could get power for the headphones there too. The alternative would be a battery pack of some sort, but that seems kinda pointless, given you'll be tethered via HDMI anyway.

See above. HDMI does 3D video every day.

Yea i know that, i was more thinking about people worrying about ps4 having to render stuff twice. As in is there anything to worry about as it can display on two outputs using remote play tech so if the vr was designed in a way to take advantage of this, would it remove the ps4 effort needed to output 3d. As the headset could do that part.

hodgy100

Yea i know that, i was more thinking about people worrying about ps4 having to render stuff twice. As in is there anything to worry about as it can display on two outputs using remote play tech so if the vr was designed in a way to take advantage of this, would it remove the ps4 effort needed to output 3d. As the headset could do that part.

remote play just sends the current framebuffer over wifi and has no overhead with reguards to game performance. it wouldnt suprise me if games rendered at a lower resolution to compensate for 3d

coldcrush

Neo Member
Not sure if it will be announced at CES, but there will be a VR headset for Sony that is like the Oculus, there is no way that this is not happening at some point from them

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm going to guess vita tv. This VCR headset thing seems like it would need its own event later on in the console cycle like how they introduced the move

S¡mon

Banned
So... is the moment here? Is the PS4 VR device to be finally announced in the coming hours?

Place your bets guys, last chance.

S¡mon;96203209 said:
So... is the moment here? Is the PS4 VR device to be finally announced in the coming hours?

With the new HMZ with head tracking announced yesterday at the press conference, I'm not enthusiastic about a full PS4 VR reveal, at least not at CES. They either would have kept the whole thing under wraps for now or made a big deal out of it. Instead they announced another one in their line of prohibitively expensive "3D viewers" that only casually includes a key VR feature. Idk. I don't like that they're even continuing that line. Makes me think the PS4 VR solution is even further off than anticipated.

Edit: Not to mention, Kaz is never going to announce a new product in a keynote. Or at all. That would be left to the Playstation branch. Or the new COO in last night's presser.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But why should yosp tweet about a ordinary HMZ? Its not like he tweets very often about other non-gaming related sony devices.
I am optimistic that they show a PS4 VR device.

S¡mon

Banned
Edit: Not to mention, Kaz is never going to announce a new product in a keynote. Or at all. That would be left to the Playstation branch. Or the new COO in last night's presser.
Personally, I don't really think we'll see a PS4 VR headset today but that Kaz "is never going to announce a new product in a keynote" is absolutely nonsense. And something as big as Virtual Reality... CES is the perfect place - that's not necessarily something they would leave to the PlayStation branch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
But why should yosp tweet about a ordinary HMZ? Its not like he tweets very often about other non-gaming related sony devices.
I am optimistic that they show a PS4 VR device.

He didn't tweet about anything. He was just joking with that journo about getting into CES 'product demo' photos.

S¡mon;96204664 said:
Personally, I don't really think we'll see a PS4 VR headset today but that Kaz "is never going to announce a new product in a keynote" is absolutely nonsense. And something as big as Virtual Reality... CES is the perfect place - that's not necessarily something they would leave to the PlayStation branch.

CES is the perfect place. You're right. At Sony's presser. Which was last night. The CEO is not going to announce and demo a new product in his personal keynote speech.

Edit: Also this.

He didn't tweet about anything. He was just joking with that journo about getting into CES 'product demo' photos.

I thought that was pretty much agreed upon in this thread. Sony certainly has VR and CES would have been a nice place to show it, but I think Shu's tweet was wildly misinterpreted.

Edit 2: Eh, but what do I know. My guess is as good as anybody's I suppose.

the playstation blog also hosted last night's press conference which had really nothing playstation in it

They've updated with this one now and it's in the main headliner spot, which last nights conference never was. Although it might not mean anything.

S¡mon

Banned
CES is the perfect place. You're right. At Sony's presser. Which was last night. The CEO is not going to announce and demo a new product in his personal keynote speech.
I'm not saying a VR headset will be announced, but your statement (or at least your suggestion, as it appears to me) that CEOs never introduce new products is nonsense.

The thing I'm wondering... since when did "Sony CEO Kaz Hirai keynote" become "Kaz's personal speech"?

Huggy

PlayStation just tweeted that we should watch the live conference:

Tune in here to watch Kaz Hirai's CES 2014 keynote, live from Las Vegas, at 9:00AM Pacific: http://bit.ly/1cJcEGc

I don't think it's related in any way at all, but I just find it funny that the viewers icon in the videoplayer is basically the Oculus VR logo.

S¡mon;96212077 said:
I'm not saying a VR headset will be announced, but your statement (or at least your suggestion, as it appears to me) that CEOs never introduce new products is nonsense.

The thing I'm wondering... since when did "Sony CEO Kaz Hirai keynote" become "Kaz's personal speech"?

Look, I have no idea what will happen, but the way I see a CEO's keynote a day after already having a press conference is exactly that. It's a State of the Union Address. He's gonna talk about where Sony's come from, where they are, where they see the future of technology going, and where they see themselves as part of that. He could reveal a new product but I'm saying I think it's incredibly unlikely.

rjcc

They've updated with this one now and it's in the main headliner spot, which last nights conference never was. Although it might not mean anything.

kaz is talking like a guy with something to announce, but, it's been 20 minutes and it hasn't gone anywhere yet

SmokyDave

S¡mon;96203209 said:

I'm going to say 'no'. In fact, I'll go as far as to say we'll still be wondering where it is this time next year.

ido

No VR makes me sad, but I didn't have high expectations anyway.

Now I am frothing at the bit to see the latest Rift in action.

Concept17

No VR makes me sad, but I didn't have high expectations anyway.

Now I am frothing at the bit to see the latest Rift in action.

Again, a new peripheral/hardware announcement for PS would be more fitting for E3 or a playstation event, not CES.

Mathezar

Perhaps Shu Yoshida meant the PlayStation Now service (Gaikai), which was sort of re-announced at Kaz Hirai's keynote...

Edit, they did announce a new headmount display at the CES press conference, although not VR.

Afrikan

Perhaps Shu Yoshida meant the PlayStation Now service (Gaikai), which was sort of re-announced at Kaz Hirai's keynote...

Edit, they did announce a new headmount display at the CES press conference, although not VR.

nope that's last year's version.... they just re-mentioned it..lol.

edit- I'm starting to get impatient.....I'm just going to presume there is nothing coming anytime soon.... it's going to have to be the Oculus or this thing for me

Infiniteye
infiniteye-hmd.jpg

MVONZPNDCaqgXAyczOo8.jpeg

I suppose there's a pre-Oculus Rift and a post-Oculus Rift timeline here.

Pre-Oculus Rift, SCE had talked about the future possibility of VR and AR HMDs in a number of contexts. At CES 2009 Sony showed an early prototype of 'see through' glasses for video consumption. They latter, obviously, produced non-optically transmissive HMDs for video consumption in the HMZ line. In 2011 Sony was pushing stereo 3D on PS3, and the team behind the tools for that revealed they were prototyping VR experiences and were engaged in R&D around tracking for VR (this is a team at Evolution studios, made up of some people with ex military and flight sim backgrounds). Separately, various Sony execs have often predicted AR through a HMD at some point.

Post Oculus Rift, Sony demoed a modified HMZ set with tracking and AR at TGS 2012. Then in September last year, reports emerged from Eurogamer that Sony was developing a VR HMD, led by the team at Evolution Studios mentioned above. It supposedly was originally planned to have a 2013 reveal, but was pushed back until 2014 to avoid confusing the pre-PS4 launch message. Sony execs - notably Shuhei Yoshida - often addressed questions about Oculus Rift with some subtle and not so subtle reflections on Sony's own R&D capacity and work.

Then later in 2013, several patents started to emerge from SCE, attributed to people at the Evolution team, around HMDs. A little later again, more HMD patents were published from SCEJ, focussed more on AR applications of an optically transmissive HMD.

And that's pretty much where we are now. Basically an awful lot of smoke.
Excellent post which got me thinking about when, which is impacted by R&D and in Sony's case they only release finished software or hardware after Standards are in place. Start the party uses Move and likely openCV but it's an open standard useful for prototyping while openVX is for production. openVX and the camera API standard will be ready for "production" 3rd quarter 2014. This is likely when VR glasses will be released by Sony.

Another Khronos PDF that takes us through what needs to be in place for what we have seen demoed for Google Glasses VR. It also goes through what is needed by Mobile platforms to support AR both hardware and Software standards.

goomba

Banned
I have no doubt that Nintendo , Sony and Microsoft are all at least in the R&D and prototype stages of VR development. It will eventually be a revolution in gaming , may even create a "post tv" gaming age.

who will release first and when is the question. Perhaps wii u's dismal performance may provoke Nintendo to take a Wii (or virtual boy) like risk then perhaps we would see sony and microsoft refine and add to it with their own versions.

Top Bottom