• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soon-to-be laid off EA Employee: Why Warhammer Failed (and why Old Republic will)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
MaddenNFL64 said:
The guy has hearsay about TOR, a game he never worked on.

I like what ive seen from the game. Might get it, if the reviews & impressions are good.

I wanna be a jedi & shit. Make it great Bioware.

If you read the post more carefully, he said that Mythic has had to help make the game. Chances are very high that he has worked on it, or at the very least played (nevermind knowing everything thats broken about the game)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
wmat said:
It would lead to production hell. Loot-n-stats is great filler material after all. It's why traditional MMOs work.

Its also why it takes the Star Wars IP, $300 million and years of dev time to even register on the average WoW players radar. ME aint no Star Wars and it aint no Warcraft after Warcraft 3 and DotA. I mean I guess they could try F2P.

Fredescu

Raging Spaniard said:
(nevermind knowing everything thats broken about the game)
If he does he never really goes into details. They spent a shitload on voice acting, we've known that since it was first announced. It's also "a joke" which really isn't specific enough to take seriously. Sounds more like blowing off steam.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Valru said:
Judging by WoW numbers I don't think its possible for TOR to sustain 3-4 million in the west.

1z6zktu.png
I'm sorry if this has been answered repeatedly, but what happened with the asian numbers that dropped off a cliff for that one period?

"I'm sorry if this has been answered repeatedly, but what happened with the asian numbers that dropped off a cliff for that one period?"

It was banned in China.

Hylian7

So both this and the thing about the "Valve employee" bitching about IceFrog were both posted. Coincidence? Maybe. This one seems more believable than the Valve one though.

Fredescu

Hylian7 said:
This one seems more believable than the Valve one though.
The only name the other one had in it was completely made up. This one deals with people and events both confirmed to be real.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Teknopathetic said:
George Broussard tweeted that he's heard from both ex and current Valve employees that the icefrog blog post was bull.
You could just tell from the half assed internet 'detective' work.

Aaron

wmat said:
It would lead to production hell. Loot-n-stats is great filler material after all. It's why traditional MMOs work.
Mass Effect 2 had a ton of filler though, so it's not like they can't pull that off.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Teknopathetic said:
It was banned in China.
Ah, wow.

And they realized the mistake and un-banned it, I guess?

Project wasn't so fucked as far as I could tell. WAR is still the only MMO that's fun from level 1. Being able to jump into a multiplayer queue from level 1 anywhere on the map is fantastic. I should reup my subscription...

"And they realized the mistake and un-banned it, I guess?"

More like Blizzard fixed the "mistake." China has very strict censorship on violent visuals, so things like skeletons, zombies, etc. are not cool. Plus, IIRC China is trying its best to sort of "force" foreign MMOs out of their market.

seady

Teknopathetic said:
"I'm sorry if this has been answered repeatedly, but what happened with the asian numbers that dropped off a cliff for that one period?"

It was banned in China.

lol that's like half the WOW global subscription in that one drop.

mattiewheels

Teknopathetic said:
"And they realized the mistake and un-banned it, I guess?"

More like Blizzard fixed the "mistake." China has very strict censorship on violent visuals, so things like skeletons, zombies, etc. are not cool. Plus, IIRC China is trying its best to sort of "force" foreign MMOs out of their market.
Thanks for the info. I find it hilarious that even though it was banned, it still had a million subs :lol

"Thanks for the info. I find it hilarious that even though it was banned, it still had a million subs"

There are more countries in the east than just China.

Oh, there was also some legal trouble between Blizzard and whoever was running their servers in China. That might've been why they were down, too. There's been a few issues with WoW in China so I could be getting them mixed up.

Fredescu

All this talk about China has made me realise that not only is the cost of adding content much bigger when everything's fully voiced, the cost of supporting different languages in TOR is going to be... phenomenal. Foreign markets are a pretty big deal for MMOs.

mattiewheels

Teknopathetic said:
There are more countries in the east than just China.
That's right, I'm sure the Korean/Japanese subs are pretty notable.

Which makes me wonder, I hear so much about Korean MMOs, but does China have a counterpart to that at all?

Rainier

slamskank said:
EA is a terrible company that destroys everything it touches.

I interviewed at EAM for a lowly QA position and didn't get the job

See, you could have shortened your post to just these two lines and have made the same point.

markot

Banned
China is huge but I am sure the profits from it are far lower than the ones from western subs.

Also Bioware will probably just sub it for them... do they even like Star Wars in China >.<?

Rainier

Hylian7 said:
Apparently this kind of thing has become a new meme as of today.

http://truthepic.blogspot.com/2010/10/horrible-truth-about-cliff-bleszinski.html
The horrible truth about Cliff Bleszinski

I am an employee at Epic Megagames. I do not work on anything directly related to Cliff Bleszinski, but somewhere around that area. Long story short, everything you think you know about "Cliffy B" is a lie. He is hopelessly addicted to Hostess Fruit Pies and it is ruining his life...

:lol

Yasae

Banned
Time to get down to brass tacks.

Let me ask a question: how much does GAF think the average pay is for these voice actors?

Fredescu

Yasae said:
Let me ask a question: how much does GAF think the average pay is for these voice actors?
A great deal goddamn more than the average pay for the guy that types it out. And if it's voiced he has to type it out anyway!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Fredescu said:
All this talk about China has made me realise that not only is the cost of adding content much bigger when everything's fully voiced, the cost of supporting different languages in TOR is going to be... phenomenal. Foreign markets are a pretty big deal for MMOs.
They probably won't bother with recording the dialogue in different languages, they'll just throw subtitles on top of them.

Ceebs said:
If that 300 million number is true what kind of playerbase will they need to make that even close to being profitable? If they are expecting Star Wars to garner them WoW like numbers someone at EA needs a solid smack to the face and a kick to the curb.

If my math is correct, if they have a million players, paying $20 a month each to play the game, it would take 15 months to just to cover that development cost. That obviously doesn't include non-subscription revenue or other costs, but it's still a sizable chunk of time.

DiscoJer

Vic said:
"Why the sudden appearance of ladies in GOW3? It's not a reaction to HALO: Reach, or fan demand, it's just because the dude's brain is wired differently since he switched to Cherry Flavor Hostess Fruit Pies."

wat? :lol

Back in the old days (70s/80s), just about every comic book would have an ad where some sort of superhero would foil a supervillain using Hostess Fruit Pies.

So don't underestimate their powers.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Teknopathetic said:
Oh, there was also some legal trouble between Blizzard and whoever was running their servers in China.
Blizzard changed the WoW operator/publisher, looking for a better deal.
Losing 70% of their revenue, previous operator refused to hand over the user-database, users refused to play without their original accounts.
Eventually things were resolved, and things continued.

mattiewheels said:
Which makes me wonder, I hear so much about Korean MMOs, but does China have a counterpart to that at all?
There's plenty, but the commercially dominant titles in Chinese market are largely from Korea.

This is getting EPIC now.

http://ealouse.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/and-another-things/

An update with quotes from other mythic staff, suggests there's more truth to this even if exagerrated.

http://ordohereticus.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/anonymous/

Some douchebag defender of paul barnett. Who just so happened to reveal the name of his "girlfriend". There's a reason no one posted her name you muppet.

An absolute goldmine.

1. Kate Flack. She’s not “Paul’s Girlfriend”. That’s not her job title. She may have that as a perk

With friends like that who needs enemies. :lol

EA wants to make money and Jeff, Paul and Eugene’s boss wanted to shift the game more towards WOW to make it more hip, catchy, mainstream to make it sell better.

Explains why it went from a pvp focus game and ended up into a horrifically boring PVE level grind.

Paul’s pet project for UO? Sorry cocksuckers don’t realize Mythic needs every single angle at retaining jobs right now. Little gigs like this are saving jobs. Mythic needs to prove itself again, keep content flowing on several channels else everyone is out of a job. EA will simply close up shop.

2n24mdk.jpg

markot

Banned
... Might have been an idea to release a good game so jobs didnt need protecting... No one 'didnt get it', over a million bought it, they just realised it was a poor ass game that was largely donkey balls...

fizzelopeguss said:
Explains why it went from a pvp focus game and ended up into a horrifically boring PVE level grind

Except it wasn't, even after launch the PVE was a joke and all the main player base didn't even touch it. The problem was everyone wanted RVR and PVP and it was a mess. Doing PVE had no purpose in tier 4.

BattleMonkey said:
Except it wasn't, even after launch the PVE was a joke and all the main player base didn't even touch it. The problem was everyone wanted RVR and PVP and it was a mess. Doing PVE had no purpose in tier 4.

:lol

It was the only way to realistically get later tier gear, the first 8 months of the game fortresses were a no show due to Insane lag and server crashes. All ANYONE did was those terrible city dungeons and broke ass Lost vale. That was the only reasonable and reliable way to get greater warded gear. no wards = no forts = no city siege.

And the leveling curve was almost entirely PVE based, RVR gave dogshit rewards. Once you hit the quest gap you lived in tor ancroc for a few levels then went back to questing.

Remember the early Greenskin vs dwarf zones where the PQ's had both sides competing against each other? That was what the game originally was. Everything had an RVR focus.

HACKED
Posted on October 14, 2010 by anonymous
ROFLMAO Easy hack! Password was only 3 letters long!

Lets play guess the new password! 8 letters long and all number! user name is ealouse

This epic troll brought to u by 4chan

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

--

oh dear, they have deleted the other blog posts too

EDIT - looks like EA Louse has regained controll over the blog and restored the posts.

Let the drama continue!

[Nintex]

What a mess, when employees(and soon to be fired employees) start ranting on public blogs your company has a serious problem. This isn't the first time that EA's name is involved. :lol

Top Bottom