• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soon-to-be laid off EA Employee: Why Warhammer Failed (and why Old Republic will)

Well I've been posting on the linked Jaffe blog's comments. Didn't know there were so many delusional people who thought GOWs combat and control follies were acceptable.

WillyFive

It would be great to have The Old Republic free to play. It would certainly get it the install base it needs. Maybe the revenue will follow.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Disappointed at the lack of reading comprehension some people are displaying btw, the TOR install is 20 gigs. not just the audio. 20 gigs for the whole thing.

Dragon Age was 15 gigs and nobody raised a fuss about that ...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Having never played an MMO, what is all this dancing discussion? Is dancing a big part of MMO's or something. To me it sounds like an out of place discussion of minutiae, like "and they wouldn't even allow helmets with griffon hair, only horse hair", but people seem to be taking it at face value as something that could feasibly play any role in the failure of an MMO or be limiting to a designer.

Raging Spaniard said:
Disappointed at the lack of reading comprehension some people are displaying btw, the TOR install is 20 gigs. not just the audio. 20 gigs for the whole thing.

Dragon Age was 15 gigs and nobody raised a fuss about that ...
And The Force Unleashed was 24 gigs. :lol

Andrex said:
Wut?

Half the classes are force users. If anything I think that'll "dilute" the people who want to play as one and the classes will be roughly equal in size. Polls on the official forum don't show any class being wildly popular over another.

Agreed, sure theres going to be a LOT of force-users in the game, but at least there are several classes that make sense. Additionally from what I can tell its not like making a Jedi means you get to wtfpwnmeltface all the other classes, because they are shooting for balance. A smuggler will be just as viable in combat as a Jedi Guardian.

If you look at the non-jedi classes too, they all look interesting with cool abilities. I actually want to make a sith inquisitor or smuggler as my first character. After that I will probably make my dark jedi lightsaber wielding character.

At least they also picked a timeline that makes sense for there be to be thousands of jedi running around.

As for this guys rant, hes probably more pissed about being laid off than anything else. Games are business, and the days of individuals having lots of influence in the development are fast coming to a close. I think its funny he compares TOR with Avatar. Avatar cost 500 million to make, but it also made over a billion in profit. Consequently with that much investment into the special effects of the film, they stuck with a tried and true storyline that we've all heard before. The plot was crappy, the acting ranged from merely adequate to good, but the movie was still ENTERTAINING.

I see The Old Republic, at worst, being similar. They are spending loads of money on creating a quest system with lots of dialogue (the equivalent to the millions spend on Avatars 3-d effects), while sticking close to the standard MMO forumula set by other MMOs (tank/healer/DPS and the equivalent to Avatars storyline). Assuming they do a good job overall and do a great job in specific areas, the game should be profitable (and it doesnt need to reach 10 million subsribers to be profitable).

People still complain about GB used? heck you can go get a 1tb drive for 100 and under, come on now. I only feel for the people downloading the game with bandwidth limits.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DurielBlack said:
Agreed, sure theres going to be a LOT of force-users in the game, but at least there are several classes that make sense. Additionally from what I can tell its not like making a Jedi means you get to wtfpwnmeltface all the other classes, because they are shooting for balance. A smuggler will be just as viable in combat as a Jedi Guardian.

If you look at the non-jedi classes too, they all look interesting with cool abilities. I actually want to make a sith inquisitor or smuggler as my first character. After that I will probably make my dark jedi lightsaber wielding character.

At least they also picked a timeline that makes sense for there be to be thousands of jedi running around.

As for this guys rant, hes probably more pissed about being laid off than anything else. Games are business, and the days of individuals having lots of influence in the development are fast coming to a close. I think its funny he compares TOR with Avatar. Avatar cost 500 million to make, but it also made over a billion in profit. Consequently with that much investment into the special effects of the film, they stuck with a tried and true storyline that we've all heard before. The plot was crappy, the acting ranged from merely adequate to good, but the movie was still ENTERTAINING.

I see The Old Republic, at worst, being similar. They are spending loads of money on creating a quest system with lots of dialogue (the equivalent to the millions spend on Avatars 3-d effects), while sticking close to the standard MMO forumula set by other MMOs (tank/healer/DPS and the equivalent to Avatars storyline). Assuming they do a good job overall and do a great job in specific areas, the game should be profitable (and it doesnt need to reach 10 million subsribers to be profitable).

That's... actually a pretty good analogy if I do say so myself. Having BioWare's name on it is likewise similar to all the Avatar trailers blaring "JAMES CAMERON MADE THIS."

slamskank

EA is a terrible company that destroys everything it touches. Nothing great has ever come out of EA, only a select few merely good games that float in an overwhelmingly large library of failures, that probably would have been much better if they had nothing to do with their creation.

This forum has the collective long term memory of goldfish. People think EA is currently the industry's white knight because they are less successful than Activison-Blizzard at playing the same game. They are just as evil, they just happen to suck at it. They swallow up good studios and turn them to shit in the blink of an eye. They have done it for decades and this unfortunate fellow's story is by no means unique. If your job isn't gone when EA buys the studio you work at, it will be gone eventually because they outsource everything they possibly can.

I interviewed at EAM for a lowly QA position and didn't get the job, which was fair enough as a lot of people interviewed. Less than a year later I was working in their offices as an outsourced contractor for minimum wage and none of the benefits a real employee would get. EAM does not exist on its own merits. The games they make are undeniably shit. The studio exists solely because of Quebec tax incentives. The government gives them public tax dollars for the sole purpose of creating jobs, an investment in the future of young folks like myself. When I was there the offices were half empty, and the entire first floor of office space was a ghost town.

The worst part about it is that myself and many other contractors who worked at an office in close proximity to the Montreal studio were out of work for a long period of time. Why? Because EA deemed it cheaper to outsource from countries like Argentina and India.

I don't need to hope EA crashes and burns. It will because it's a bad company with no sense of ethics. Developers with an ounce of self worth don't go to work there unless they are either young, naive, talentless, or a combination of all three, and it is reflected in the quality of their shipped titles. Fuck you EA.

BrettWeir

Seriously, fuck EA and fuck Marc Jacobs. A guy who pretty much singlehandedly ruined one of the best MMO's of all time (DAoC), then passed the torch on to eternal failure, can rot in hell. Warhammer was a piece of shit.

U Mad?! Still.

Mar

slamskank said:
EA is a terrible company that destroys everything it touches. Nothing great has ever come out of EA, only a select few merely good games that float in an overwhelmingly large library of failures, that probably would have been much better if they had nothing to do with their creation.

This forum has the collective long term memory of goldfish. People think EA is currently the industry's white knight because they are less successful than Activison-Blizzard at playing the same game. They are just as evil, they just happen to suck at it. They swallow up good studios and turn them to shit in the blink of an eye. They have done it for decades and this unfortunate fellow's story is by no means unique. If your job isn't gone when EA buys the studio you work at, it will be gone eventually because they outsource everything they possibly can.

I interviewed at EAM for a lowly QA position and didn't get the job, which was fair enough as a lot of people interviewed. Less than a year later I was working in their offices as an outsourced contractor for minimum wage and none of the benefits a real employee would get. EAM does not exist on its own merits. The games they make are undeniably shit. The studio exists solely because of Quebec tax incentives. The government gives them public tax dollars for the sole purpose of creating jobs, an investment in the future of young folks like myself. When I was there the offices were half empty, and the entire first floor of office space was a ghost town.

The worst part about it is that myself and many other contractors who worked at an office in close proximity to the Montreal studio were out of work for a long period of time. Why? Because EA deemed it cheaper to outsource from countries like Argentina and India.

I don't need to hope EA crashes and burns. It will because it's a bad company with no sense of ethics. Developers with an ounce of self worth don't go to work there unless they are either young, naive, talentless, or a combination of all three, and it is reflected in the quality of their shipped titles. Fuck you EA.

Respawn?

Saying EA make nothing but shit is frankly a load of garbage. Look at their releases over the past couple of years. They've really turned around.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Noticed a while ago that Joystiq and Kotaku havent reported on this. THIS IS WEIRD. Those guys have no editorial integrity to speak of, hell they post boobs half the time just because theres no news to talk about.... but here you have a potentially huge story that even reveals a game that hasnt been announced and they dont say a thing?

Suspicious.

Mar said:
Respawn?

Saying EA make nothing but shit is frankly a load of garbage. Look at their releases over the past couple of years. They've really turned around.

dead space was great but thats about it for internal produced games (before that was SSX) ...ea seems to have the midas touch of shit for running great studios into the ground...

also they tend to come up with trends that really hurt the industry like art outsourcing, required used games to buy a new online license, yearly layoffs, etc

Haunted said:
We don't know Blizzard numbers, but I could imagine them being up there with their lengthy development cycles. It's why I put the "officially known" qualifier there.

Then there's the question whether the upkeep/running costs should be counted... putting WoW wide ahead of anything else, obviously.

Officially, it's Modern Warfare 2 with a budget of 200 million.
Source?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Raging Spaniard said:
Noticed a while ago that Joystiq and Kotaku havent reported on this. THIS IS WEIRD. Those guys have no editorial integrity to speak of, hell they post boobs half the time just because theres no news to talk about.... but here you have a potentially huge story that even reveals a game that hasnt been announced and they dont say a thing?

Suspicious.
One thing Kotaku doesn't run with usually is anonymous developer rants.

They also didn't cover the Obsidian poster or the IceFrog thing.

Boney

Banned
Nirolak said:

Well, real journalist should be scooping this stuff up...

RSLAEV

I love how so many people are willing to just write the guy off because he's angry. Of course he's fucking angry! If I was about to lose my job because some fatheads at the top of the food chain bungled the deal I'd write a letter just like this one. Actually no I wouldn't because I wouldn't have the balls. But I'd want to!

Gonna bookmark this thread, and if SWTOR sucks a phat one...

Raging Spaniard said:

Suspicious.

Kotaku steals story from NeoGAF, people get mad.
Kotaku doesn't take a story from NeoGAF, people get mad.

Maybe (JUST maybe) they are trying to find out more about this guy before posting a blog entry titled "ANONYMOUS LAYED OFF EA EMPLOYEE ANGRY AT EA." The dude could be the freakin' mailman for Mythic for all they know. Not saying this info is BS or anything, but sometimes "editorial integrity" involves more than reposting something a guy on the internet said.

But it's more likely this is all a giant conspiracy to keep ealouse quiet cuz KoCOCKu and JoySUCK are paid large bags of money by EA to only say good things about them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RSLAEV said:

...it won't prove anything, since this guy has absolutely nothing to do with it. SW TOR was barely a footnote on his original post, 95% of it had to do with WAR, that's what people should be homing in on.

Fredescu

RSLAEV said:
I love how so many people are willing to just write the guy off because he's angry. Of course he's fucking angry! If I was about to lose my job because some fatheads at the top of the food chain bungled the deal I'd write a letter just like this one. Actually no I wouldn't because I wouldn't have the balls. But I'd want to!

He's angry because of a game that isn't SW:TOR.

e: beaten

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Nirolak said:

Let's face it, they can't just post this as-is. And there's basically no way of verifying any of this.

Which makes it quite the insane story if true.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nirolak said:
$40-$50 million for the game, $150 million for the marketing: http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/18/business/fi-ct-duty18

To put this in perspective, the last ad run for Halo 3 was only $10 million: http://www.brandweek.com/bw/magazine/current/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003637129
Its hard to tell if they mean the ad cost 10 million or if that includes the actual airtime. Mirrors Edge had a marketing budget in NA of over 9 million and it didn't seem that heavily pushed on TV, but 10 million for just creating the ad seems excessive.

Dennis

Banned
GT Vespene said:
I'd say Mass Effect deserves an mmo more than star wars.
If Bioware were to announce tomorow that Mass Effect 3 had been canceled to instead continue the universe in MMO form, I would have the mother of all meltdowns.

robor

Mar said:
Respawn?

I haven't played/purchase an EA game since Hot Pursuit. There has been nothing of interest from them and as soon as they eat up a developer I liked, I stop following. They can buy out any developer they like, they can HAVE Respawn, it doesn't matter because anything they devour comes out the other end looking like shit.

EA and ActivisionBlizzard are the Jerry Bruckheimer of games.

slamskank

Mar said:
Respawn?

Respawn hasn't made shit yet you hype donkey. What's most ironic about your reply is that they made MoH:AA and LEFT EA all those years ago because they didn't like their business practices, and went to Activision to make CoD.

And yes, EA makes nothing but shit. They publish a few good ones, but for the most part don't develop them.

Dram

fizzelopeguss said:
WAR took a long steamy piss on the warhammer fiction anyway, it wouldn't have mattered if they added dancing.

Yeah that was an odd choice to change the fiction. I wonder was that Game Workshop's choice or Mystic's?

Raging Spaniard

Rodney McKay said:
Kotaku steals story from NeoGAF, people get mad.
Kotaku doesn't take a story from NeoGAF, people get mad.

Maybe (JUST maybe) they are trying to find out more about this guy before posting a blog entry titled "ANONYMOUS LAYED OFF EA EMPLOYEE ANGRY AT EA." The dude could be the freakin' mailman for Mythic for all they know. Not saying this info is BS or anything, but sometimes "editorial integrity" involves more than reposting something a guy on the internet said.

But it's more likely this is all a giant conspiracy to keep ealouse quiet cuz KoCOCKu and JoySUCK are paid large bags of money by EA to only say good things about them.

Youre not making sense here, stop generalizing.

GAF had nothing to do with breaking this story, this forum wasnt even the 3rd place where I stumbled onto this guy's blog today.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
robor said:
I haven't played/purchase an EA game since Hot Pursuit. There has been nothing of interest from them and as soon as they eat up a developer I liked, I stop following. They can buy out any developer they like, they can HAVE Respawn, it doesn't matter because anything they devour comes out the other end looking like shit.

EA and ActivisionBlizzard are the Jerry Bruckheimer of games.
Interestingly, the original Skate was a complete break with skateboarding games conventions and a smart product with heart and all.

For reference, Skate was by EA Black Box, who also made NFSHP2, which was by itself one of the best NFS titles of all time.

Also, they made NFSU, which also was a landmark title by any standard.

So you basically deprived yourself from enjoying some outstanding games. And they do have studios that flourish from being under them.

It's not all b&w.

Madman

Mar said:
Respawn?

Respawn is independant.

Most recent in house EA game I got is Madden 11, which is mediocre at best and is much closer to being horrible, especially compared to something like MLB The Show. The quality and polish differences are incredible. Night and day.

Vespene

DennisK4 said:
If Bioware were to announce tomorow that Mass Effect 3 had been canceled to instead continue the universe in MMO form, I would have the mother of all meltdowns.

Hell I would to. I'm the guy that finished the game 3 times, bought every DLC including weapons, and did the Mountain Dew crap. Of course I'd want them to finish the trilogy.

However, afterwards, if they manage to pull off an third person shooter MMO within the universe, it would be great. They have a solid fleshed out universe with the ultimate set up thanks to the trilogy that came before it. They have a class system already built into the lore and numerous humanoid races to choose from.

It's like doing their Star Wars MMO, only without the LucasArts dev puppeteering that surely goes on from time to time.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
GT Vespene said:
They have a class system already built into the lore and numerous humanoid races to choose from.
The class system in ME isn't exactly good and wouldn't hold up in an MMO. I think that's pretty much a given.

Besides, with the departure from loot-n-stats oriented gameplay in ME2, it doesn't really look like the final destination is an MMO. At least not a traditional one.

MaddenNFL64

The guy has hearsay about TOR, a game he never worked on.

I like what ive seen from the game. Might get it, if the reviews & impressions are good.

I wanna be a jedi & shit. Make it great Bioware.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
wmat said:
The class system in ME isn't exactly good and wouldn't hold up in an MMO. I think that's pretty much a given.

Besides, with the departure from loot-n-stats oriented gameplay in ME2, it doesn't really look like the final destination is an MMO. At least not a traditional one.

That would actually be a smart move, if they had the talent and ingenuity to pull it off.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
HK-47 said:
That would actually be a smart move, if they had the talent and ingenuity to pull it off.
It would lead to production hell. Loot-n-stats is great filler material after all. It's why traditional MMOs work.

Top Bottom