• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorcery Enchants Shelves This Spring [Embargo Dropping, Screenshots Up]

Seems more action focused then I would have hoped. I originally got a Vagrant Story vibe from it (based on the little we saw at E3) so I was hoping it would be closer to that.

The short lenght and IGN's comment that its clearly aim at kids doesn't exactly get me excited. Oh well, still interested to see how it turns out

[Nintex];33459907 said:
Seriously? That's nothing for an adventure game.

Yes, but it does make a point of noting that you'll be upgrading your character as you play and returning to locations in order to find new stuff. Dare I say it sounds a little Metroid esque?

Loudninja

Sorcery will also come complete with a few other options that I didn't get to fully explore, but options that will nonetheless flesh out the experience and make it something more engaging. Hidden items will allow you to use an alchemy system that works towards making Finn and his spells more powerful. Likewise, gold coins collected in the environment can be used to buy items and more from merchants. I was told that the game is only five or six hours in length, but that returning to earlier areas after completing them to reach previously-unattainable locales and to find collectibles could add plenty of length, if gamers choose to thoroughly explore.

Agent X

Gold Member

Great articles. I like this question from the interview:

How are you approaching the PlayStation Move controller? It doesn’t feel like a game built specifically for Move, and by that I mean, it doesn’t feel like “General Move Title #15.” It looks to have the quality of a standard, controller-based game.

That was by design – it was built for the Move from the ground up. It was never intended for a controller. Our attitude was: a lot of motion controlled games are basically “Simon Says.” You’re told something to do, and you do it. And you’re told something to do, and you do it. We thought that it’d be possible to create something that uses motion controls to control the game but played something like a real console game. Something that played like a shooter, or an action adventure game, the sort of game that most core gamers play.

That’s really what Sorcery is: an attempt to take motion controls and translate them into a gaming experience that going to appeal not just to a casual audience, but to a hardcore gamer audience, because it has the sort of deep challenges that I think gamers would want out of this sort of game.

The new batch of screen look very attractive. So many of us were worried or doubtful because it's been kept under wraps for so long after its initial announcement, but it looks like the time in development was worth the wait.

Drakken

What impressed me the most in the case of Sorcery was how spells could be combined with one another to create something special. For instance, conjuring up a fire wall and then shooting a tornado through it creates a flame-riddled wave of air that careens into nearby enemies. Freezing an enemy and then shooting Arcane Bolts off of him will redirect those shots at enemies that may be obscured from view or otherwise difficult to strike. Sorcery will come complete with five different offensive spells, as well as magical skills that serve a more mundane, non-violent purpose.

Mmm, sounds like a 3D Magicka. This could be an extremely fun game if done right.

Loudninja

Littered around the levels are chests where you can find treasure, gold or alchemy ingredients. You’ll use those ingredients in a light RPG-like alchemy system. You’ll have the ability to research up to 56 different potions which will determine your upgrades throughout the game. For example, drinking all the fire potions will make your fire spells more powerful. There are about a dozen upgrade opportunities during the game and you’ll need to decide what you want to focus on as only about a quarter of the full upgrade tree can be explored in a single game. The nice thing is that you have the option to keep all your upgrades for subsequent playthroughs.
http://www.psnation.org/2011/12/14/hands-on-with-sorcery-ps3/]

Newgame+ basically.

5-6 hours at $40 retail honestly isn't that bad.

they said the combat is good and addicting and you can do sidequest to collect items etc to make spell stronger etc.

I sure hope there's new game plus in harder difficulty or hidden challenging bosses in there. what's the point of collecting item to upgrade your character if the boss battles can be beaten easily

Corto

Looks very nice, can't wait to wave my wand/move hehehehe The spell mix/combinations seem similar to Magicka and I loved that system in Magicka. Bring it!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Not a brilliant comparison by any means but how long are those Harry Potter Kinect games?

There was just some extra Kinect only mini-game on Deathly Hallows Part 1. It was bad (according to reviews) they dropped support in part 2.

Yuterald

Oh wow, the main character doesn't look like a total beavis anymore. This doesn't look too bad either. Interested to hear more about it.

Corto

if you want better and longer sequel, support first game. If not, then don't buy it, let it flop so Sony can move to other things.

That's worse than buying games by the hour. It's akin to blackmail. I know that some companies try to pass that as a good practice, listening to their audience and giving them a voice and decision power (Ubisoft and Rayman Origins sales being the test to decide if BG&E2 is going to be developed). It's nothing of the like. Buy it if you like what the previews, interviews with the devs and gameplay videos hint at.

Edit: I know that it was your personal post and not Sony PR saying that, but it's just something that bothers me a bit. Don't take it too serious.

Derrick01

Banned
This looks like a spruced PS2 game, meh.

Yeah I've been spoiled by previous PS3 exclusives but that looks like launch era stuff. Plus it seems like the big gimmick with this game from day 1 was to combine spells with the motion and that's it, so I'm kind of glad it's only 5-6 hours because I'm sure that gimmick will wear off around that time if not sooner. This never seemed like it was supposed to be a super deep game.

Top Bottom