• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorcery Enchants Shelves This Spring [Embargo Dropping, Screenshots Up]

Carl

No, he's telling you that they essentially did make a shooter (if the footage is a good showcase) instead of the game he was hoping for that would show all sorts of different Move uses similar to the Wii games mentioned, so instead of getting hyped, he's seeing gameplay already released and potentially better and/or meatier shooters have, like InFamous 2, which didn't have the Move hype this does despite being essentially similar. Sheesh. It's not hard to get. Like the game all you want, he doesn't have to.

Then maybe he should have explained it better...

Slime

Banned
It looks cheaper than the E3 reveal? How so?

Protagonist looks a lot less inspired to me. Went from looking like a character to a nondescript fantasy avatar, in my opinion. Add in the fact that the general art design now looks WoW-generic, and the whole thing just seems like an afterthought. A slightly more polished afterthought, maybe, but with less personality.

Shiloa

Looks really tame. I was hoping for a wizardry game, but this looks more like a fantasy skin on an third person shooter.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks so incredibly generic now.

Should have stayed on the Harry Potter train, it will probably be too repetitive/short to have wide appeal anyway.

I thought they wanted the game to be more ambitious, but if it last only 6 hours it's disappointing :/ That said, maybe it's closer to 10 hours if you're not a tester that knows the game by heart and don't skip everything, but still, that's disappointing for an adventure game like that.

This was one of the few Move games that caught my attention back in the early promos... but ehh. It just doesn't seem to have any character / capture my attention.

Will try a demo. Not anticipating it though (I get the feeling reviewers are going to hammer it on everything but the Move tech).

Famassu

Heh, so I was right when I thought that they would give this game a bit of an overhaul & budget increase after it was pretty much the only Move game to get a really positive response during that particular E3.

saichi

Not a fan of the new style.

Looks really tame. I was hoping for a wizardry game, but this looks more like a fantasy skin on an third person shooter.

Looks so incredibly generic now.

Should have stayed on the Harry Potter train, it will probably be too repetitive/short to have wide appeal anyway.

agree with all this. The game looks like a tweener now. What audience would it appeal to?

This was one of the few Move games that caught my attention back in the early promos... but ehh. It just doesn't seem to have any character / capture my attention.

Will try a demo. Not anticipating it though (I get the feeling reviewers are going to hammer it on everything but the Move tech).

They need to realize a trailer with just gameplay feature is not as intersting as trailer that showcase story, character and some gameplay footage too.

Psblog article have info about the story premise and while I think it's your usual fantasy tale, it could be good if they get good dialog for their character.

I like the look for erline, the magical talking cat.

Gametrailers has a walkthrough video from the CES demo:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ces-2012-sorcery/725751

Well... The game lost a lot of its appeal to me. I liked how the previous version felt like it was based on setting some kind of magical traps. Now it seems like it's another shooter with a magical skin. Plus I liked the reminiscent Don Bluth/Black Cauldron look in the first version. Now it looks like your average fantasy game... :eek:/

People got enthousiastic about the game based on what they saw of the first version. Why did Sony have to change it so drastically? Sometimes I don't understand how this company thinks and works... "People liked what we showed, let's change everything so we are sure to loose them!" :eek:/

AndyD

aka andydumi
Generally unimpressed with that video. It seems like a centered view gesture shooter, not the previous strategic combo traps approach wit a more cartony drawn.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
...I missed this re-announcement

That super horrible.

Here is what I said on older thread when someone said they have changed it.

hmmmm

Good Different ---> if they make it more cartoony and with DS3 support.

Bad Different ---> if they make it more mature ( Harry Potter shooter)

And.. They went with the more stupid "mature" and more shootry path.

smh..do not want.

Damn, sometimes i hate being right, in the E3 this game looked quite interesting and a good showcase for the move, and now it´s just a third person shooter in disguise...instead of pressing R2 to shot, you waggle the damn thing.

Zen

Banned
It's a shame how it turned out with the graphics/gameplay. I wonder if anyone working on the game realizes how they fucked up, or thought at the time of the initial reveal that maybe the art design was also part of the reason that everyone stood up and clapped.

anddo0

After those videos it's a gonna take some Sorcery for this thing to Move any units.

I think they sat on this one too long. It looks very different than what was demonstrated. I also feel missing the Move launch window doomed this title.. Too many delays, now this...

This game could have been so cool as a Portal-like puzzle game with magic... Building magic traps for your enemies plus a little bit of stealth a la Batman predator mode could have worked so well in a sweet little game. But no. It has to be a shooter. Focus testing resulted in the conclusion that gamers want to shoot stuff in the face so let's make it a shooter. I like shooters but everything doesn't have to be a shooter. This game for instance shouldn't have.

A shame really...

Man, this is the only thing I've seen on the horizon that I was actually kinda hyped for with Move. Very disappointing for it to be so simplistic compared to the promise of its debut. Elemental spell mixing seems neat, anyway.

Thought they had a chance to 1up Nintendo's motion control efforts with SS since they played it a bit too safe in some ways and made mistakes in some areas but those videos aren't very promising. The price point and alleged length don't inspire confidence either. No, new game + doesn't fix everything depending on the game.

That was never really even a possibility given the way Sony treats the Move. Nintendo gave SS their AAA team and years to develop it and treated it like a big budget title

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
After those videos it's a gonna take some Sorcery for this thing to Move any units.

I think they sat on this one too long. It looks very different than what was demonstrated. I also feel missing the Move launch window doomed this title.. Too many delays, now this...

the awful change they've made (turned it to some sort of mindless clone of EA Harry Potter shootery games) is more critical than move launch window and what killed it for me.

tci

This game could have been so cool as a Portal-like puzzle game with magic... Building magic traps for your enemies plus a little bit of stealth a la Batman predator mode could have worked so well in a sweet little game. But no. It has to be a shooter. Focus testing resulted in the conclusion that gamers want to shoot stuff in the face so let's make it a shooter. I like shooters but everything doesn't have to be a shooter. This game for instance shouldn't have.

A shame really...

Yea,. Just saw the E32010 presentation again. Would have been so cool to have had a dungeon crawler were you had to combine spells to take out enemies. Sort of like Magica. So much wasted potential.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Still dunno why it's Move exclusive instead of just support it. It's a damn shooter (possibly with loads of aim assist? no crosshair?), going by the latest media, unless there are more surprises and stuff yet to be seen. Edit: oh I see, so you waggle back and forth to cash the spells, not just point and shoot like in shooters. Still, it hardly makes any great compelling difference. What a shame. If they wanted to take this direction they should at least base them on different runes and shapes and things, like Arx Fatalis, with waving instead of drawing, rather than make so many samey attack spells you activate in the same manner and spam with.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

This is garbage, there is absolutely nothing but shooting and shooting,in the E3 2010 demo it was like Zelda with magic and puzzels in actual dungeon, now with this reboot it's EA's Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2 clone or some random Ubi shovelware.

Not sure who to blame here on this huge fail of a reboot,SCEA or these ex Treyarch guys.

This is garbage, there is absolutely nothing but shooting and shooting,in the E3 2010 demo it was like Zelda with magic and puzzels in actual dungeon, now with this reboot it's EA's Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2 clone or some random Ubi shovelware.

Not sure who to blame here on this huge fail of a reboot,SCEA or these ex Treyarch guys.

To be fair, what they had back then in 2010 was very early, and nothing more then a controlled test and "what if" scenario for the game. And from what I played of that 2010 version, it wasn't that hot.

Loudninja

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Top Bottom