• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorcery Enchants Shelves This Spring [Embargo Dropping, Screenshots Up]

[Nintex]

Sorcery more like boredom, it seems like all you can do is move your stick around, walk and activate the occasional motion control QTE.

Agent X

Gold Member
[Nintex];33461376 said:
Sorcery more like boredom, it seems like all you can do is move your stick around, walk and activate the occasional motion control QTE.

Several of the articles and interviews posted today made it clear that the developers aren't fond of binary "do this or don't do this" type gameplay that's frequently found in motion-controlled games. They are striving for a more open-ended design, where the user can utilize multiple abilities and combine then to devise a solution to a problem.

Day one!

I can't wait to pick this up. Glad to see the game and I like the slightly new style. I mean, the gameplay looks really, really nice.

looks like a ps2 game.

Honestly i hate magic in most fantasy games. Magic should be something subtle mystical. Not a something you shoot like a lazergun straight out of 90s rave.

Several of the articles and interviews posted today made it clear that the developers aren't fond of binary "do this or don't do this" type gameplay that's frequently found in motion-controlled games. They are striving for a more open-ended design, where the user can utilize multiple abilities and combine then to devise a solution to a problem.

Which is all very well, but I'd love to see some actual platforming in there too. At present it looks like a hub world and then a series of 'killing arenas'. Sure, the killing may be varied and interesting, but travelling around a magical fantastical world should definitely be excellent too.

Using levitation spells to reach higher areas would be nice.
Suspend spells that hold platforms in place would be good.
Spells that move objects to allow more vertical gameplay would also be nice.

I'm looking forward to this game, I just want more from it.

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy with fuck awesome magical combat is what I ideally want.

bryehn

Looks pretty rough all around, graphics aren't too bad but movement and combat looks pretty janky. Hard to believe it's been 18-24 months since we first saw it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
for comparison, the old screens
i0u4ejoBtEL1r.jpg

ibivHCsfqj4sHJ.jpg

Mdk7

If Infinity Blade II shits all over this technically, then i guess something's not completely allright with the project.
It seems kinda intriguing, but frankly pretty far from the killer application i wish it was. :/

Corto

If Infinity Blade II shits all over this technically, then i guess something's not completely allright with the project.
It seems kinda intriguing, but frankly pretty far from the killer application i wish it was. :/

So this will be ridden with even more bugs than IBII? And with a non controllable camera in a small screen? Ok.

Carl

I find the old style more appealing.

The gameplay looks pretty bland to me...maybe too much action and focus on shooting, yeah it´s shooting spells, but shooting after all.

Need to see exploration and puzzles dammit

There are puzzles in it.

Sony and PS Move missed its window of opportunity with me. I'm still interested in this game but not enough to pick up a PS Move. I might re-consider if I find some Move peripherals deeply discounted or they put together a decent bundle.

theBishop

Banned
The improvements they've made since E3 addressed on my biggest complaints.

I still worry about the overall inspiration and design. Combat areas look too flat. I hope there's more environmental interaction in the final game.

Move-stuff looks very well-implemented.

Yo here is a better game that is on the move:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...ature=player_detailpage&v=cmI0eKe-uwg#t=1568s

Sorcery doesn't look... completely awful I guess (just bad) but there doesn't seem to be much point. It looks like there is little point to the move in this game other than the aiming control -- but that is possible in any game. This just looks like a low rent third person shooter - when there is a bigger third person shooter on the PS3 missing move support.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thought they had a chance to 1up Nintendo's motion control efforts with SS since they played it a bit too safe in some ways and made mistakes in some areas but those videos aren't very promising. The price point and alleged length don't inspire confidence either. No, new game + doesn't fix everything depending on the game.

Carl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...ature=player_detailpage&v=cmI0eKe-uwg#t=1568s

Sorcery doesn't look... completely awful I guess (just bad) but there doesn't seem to be much point. It looks like there is little point to the move in this game other than the aiming control -- but that is possible in any game. This just looks like a low rent third person shooter - when there is a bigger third person shooter on the PS3 missing move support.

But that's all it does in InFamous 2, which you just linked to...

In fact, the best uses of Move are for aiming control. What was your point again?

Alexios

In fact, the best uses of Move are for aiming control. What was your point again?
His point is that if shooting-like functions is the bulk of the game then why not get a different, meatier, likely better shooter that's already out instead of this which many hoped would be some Move killer app a la Red Steel 2, Skyward Sword or Wii Sports Resort that showed all sorts of different mechanics and potential. Maybe.

Takao

Banned
Thought they had a chance to 1up Nintendo's motion control efforts with SS since they played it a bit too safe in some ways and made mistakes in some areas but those videos aren't very promising. The price point and alleged length don't inspire confidence either. No, new game + doesn't fix everything depending on the game.

All Move-required games go for $40. That isn't Sony hedging their bets or something. That's been the rule since launch.

Carl

His point is that if shooting-like functions is the bulk of the game then why not get a different, meatier, likely better shooter that's already out instead of this which many hoped would be some Move killer app a la Red Steel 2, Skyward Sword or Wii Sports Resort that showed all sorts of different mechanics and potential. Or something.

Because some people don't like shooters but maybe do like fantasy games?

His point is that if shooting-like functions is the bulk of the game then why not get a different, meatier, likely better shooter that's already out instead of this which many hoped would be some Move killer app a la Red Steel 2, Skyward Sword or Wii Sports Resort that showed all sorts of different mechanics and potential. Or something.

Exactly this.

Because some people don't like shooters but maybe do like fantasy games?

When 90% of your interaction with the environment is looking at something and shooting at it, and you can move your character around freely - we usually call those a shooter of some kind. Infamous 2 is essentially a third person shooter (although usually classified as an open world game). I am sure there will be some gimmicks that will require gestures - but the core of the game (from the little I looked of it) looks like a standard game. Compare this to inFamous 2 and how would it look?

is the main character can really only move around and cast spell? I want ability to jump, or roll to avoid enemy attack, also how about blocking? the game is way to focused with elements magic + arcane (which seems like neutral bullet or something)

how about conjuring arcane sword that you can swing in 1:1 motion for quick melee action.

or shield spell for defense and can repel enemy attack if you timed it right

or make trap magic circle on ground

or confusion type spell that you can use to make enemies fight against themselves

also, if most of the enemies can be beaten by just shooting arcane bolt at them, then what would compel people to experiments combination spells. it needs to have lots of enemy variety, with different weakness you can exploit, and spell that is more unique than just attack spell with different properties.

I hope this will be good, but I'm still a bit worried, the game still felt a bit gimmicky to me and not a complete game yet. something is missing.

it's more than just third person shooter. it use a lot of gesture for actions that dualshock won't have enough button for all the different spell without slowing down the action with weapon wheels/menu or whatever.

but I think they haven't gone far enough with the magic variety imo.

Carl

When 90% of your interaction with the environment is looking at something and shooting at it, and you can move your character around freely - we usually call those a shooter of some kind. Infamous 2 is essentially a third person shooter (although usually classified as an open world game).

...so? Because you essentially "shoot" enemies with magic, they should just make a shooter?

Man someone should have told JK Rowling that she should have made a war book instead of Harry Potter.

...so? Because you essentially "shoot" enemies with magic, they should just make a shooter?

Man someone should have told JK Rowling that she should have made a war book instead of Harry Potter.

Funny enough the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" game is essentially a (really poor) cover based shooter with wands.

Carl

Funny enough the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" game is essentially a (really poor) cover based shooter with wands.

I know what the game is, but clearly there is a market for fantasy magical games. With good promotion it could do well. To me it looks really fun. Not all games have to be shooters to be fun.

Slime

Banned
Wow, and here I was actually believing the "they're turning this into a big awesome Move killer app!" hype.

It actually looks cheaper. Reminds me of something from 2004.

Zen

Banned
I've gotten to try the move and came away impressed, I'll be getting one when this game comes out (although the Sports Champions/Medieval Moves Bundle is tempting...)

was looking at this thread on my iphone earlier so I couldn't see much detail.

Now that I'm looking at those screenshots on a full monitor, holy mother of crap at the aliasing in some of those screens.

Alexios

No, he's telling you that they essentially did make a shooter (if the footage is a good showcase) instead of the game he was hoping for that would show all sorts of different Move uses similar to the Wii games mentioned, so instead of getting hyped, he's seeing gameplay already released and potentially better and/or meatier shooters have, like InFamous 2, which didn't have the Move hype this does despite being essentially similar. Sheesh. It's not hard to get. Like the game all you want, he doesn't have to.

Top Bottom