• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry Nintendo, we've decided that Link is officially a girl

ArcLyte

Surely brave new female link will also be a lesbian so as not to offend anyone. And a rainbow tunic. Actually, screw that, a rainbow filter over the entire game.

Dremark

Banned
I hope we can get male Samus next. I'm getting tired of this regressive trend where characters have established genders.

bon

I think it would be cool if there was a Zelda game where Link was a golden retriever. Nothing in Zelda lore says Link can't play basketball.

Izuna

Banned
For those who still don't understand...

--

Link is now a girl.

Caused by the power of the unanimously decided (by humans, not the bats) best theme for GAF, the dark theme.

I know EviLore uses white theme but that's not because he is a bat, mind you. He just likes to pretend to be a bat.

Is EviLore BATMAN?

Find out over in the OT.‏

For those who still don't understand...

--

Link is now a girl.

Caused by the power of the unanimously decided (by humans, not the bats) best theme for GAF, the dark theme.

I know EviLore uses white theme but that's not because he is a bat, mind you. He just likes to pretend to be a bat.

Is EviLore BATMAN?

Find out over in the OT.‏

This didn't help me understand anything. You've only made it worse!

JMizzlin

My question is: has Link's sexual identity ever influenced his motivations? Besides aligning with the typical male prince saves female princess fantasy trope. I can't say I recall his actions ever correlating to his gender or orientation.

One thing I take issue with is people acting like we want a sequel to Majora's Mask where the Link from MM is a girl now, when all we want it for a girl to be able to be Link. Wind Waker Link stumbled into his role as the Hero of Winds, why couldn't a girl find the Master Sword and the tunic? Shit, isn't it established in Skyward Sword that the tunic is worn by different genders?

sheamus

Since every link is a different link from game to game with very few exceptions. Why not make it a choice at the beginning of the game then just switch the character models for Link and Zelda respectively I know this would require more work. But it's ridiculous not to give the player some kind of choice in our age.

And when you talk about the next game in the timeline. guess what his gender doesn't matter because it happened so long ago.

I don't understand the interest in this. Link is a male character and there is nothing wrong with that. Sure the female versions of link looks cute but why would you want an established male character to turn into a woman? I mean, create a new character, or make link a father, but don't perform a sex change on link, please, it's unnatural.

I don't understand the interest in this. Link is a male character and there is nothing wrong with that. Sure the female versions of link looks cute but why would you want an established male character to turn into a woman? I mean, create a new character, or make link a father, but don't perform a sex change on link, please, it's unnatural.

Almost every new Zelda game creates a new character. Link is a role, not a character.

Volotaire

Some may not know this, but there was a selectable male or female character in a Zelda game. In BS The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets (a Nintendo developed Zelda game for the Broadcast Satellaview), you could choose between 'male mascot' and 'female mascot'. This was a game that used the A Link to the Past assets but featured an new storyline.

And as a slight off topic discussion for this thread, since Nintendo lifted the item rental mechanic from BS The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone of tablets, I would like them to perhaps consider in the future re-releasing a The Legend of Zelda port with the visuals of BS The Legend of Zelda. A Super Mario All Starts visual makeover if you will.

Here are some pictures of 'male mascot' and 'female mascot'. I cannot link the website since the link would show emulation links, which is against the TOS.
sekibanboy2.gif

sekibanboy4.gif

sekibangirl1.gif

sekibangirl4.gif

StayDead

People want Link to be a girl to show that girls can be heros too.

Why not make Gannondorf a girl too? Why does it always have to be evil cis-males who are villains. There's evil women too!

Dremark

Banned
Why not make Gannondorf a girl too? Why does it always have to be evil cis-males who are villains. There's evil women too!

That's sexist and mysogonistic.

You jest, but Zero Suit Male Samus? Make it happen, Nintendo. Jet heels and everything.

I think that if Samus was male and they went for the same sort of idea they did with ZSZ on the male version he'd basically be in a speedo and that would be it.

I don't think anyone would have an issue with it either though because he'd be a guy.

Honestly though I always hated ZSZ, not because it's sexist but it always looked impractical and out of place. Doesn't even match her main color palette.

Link is probably the absolute worst character anyone could pick for this. What's the point in having a new female character spearheading one of gamings' premier series if they're basically a mute, blank avatar for people to project on to? Just give the series to its namesake and have Zelda front a game. No gender-reversal 'now SHE has to rescue HIM!' crap, don't even have Link appear at all, just make it about Zelda kicking ass and getting shit done all in her own. After 30 years and god knows how many incarnations, she deserves it.

That's sexist and mysogonistic.

I don't think so. Gaming needs better female characters in general, whether they're good or evil isn't really relevant to that.

I think that if Samus was male and they went for the same sort of idea they did with ZSZ on the male version he'd basically be in a speedo and that would be it.

I don't think anyone would have an issue with it either though because he'd be a guy.

Honestly though I always hated ZSZ, not because it's sexist but it always looked impractical and out of place. Doesn't even match her main color palette.

They kinda did do that with Shulk's swimsuit in Smash. The difference is one of those things is creepy as shit. I hated ZSS, it was such a step back going from Prime's Samus to that. I even remember some of Prime's concept art showing Samus's face with notes basically saying to make her look more plain, make her lips smaller etc. such a shame we went from that to the catsuit clad male fantasy we have now.

Dremark

Banned
Link is probably the absolute worst character anyone could pick for this. What's the point in having a new female character spearheading one of gamings' premier series if they're basically a mute, blank avatar for people to project on to? Just give the series to its namesake and have Zelda front a game. No gender-reversal 'now SHE has to rescue HIM!' crap, don't even have Link appear at all, just make it about Zelda kicking ass and getting shit done all in her own. After 30 years and god knows how many incarnations, she deserves it.

I don't think so. Gaming needs better female characters in general, whether they're good or evil isn't really relevant to that.

They kinda did do that with Shulk's swimsuit in Smash. The difference is one of those things is creepy as shit. I hated ZSS, it was such a step back going from Prime's Samus to that. I even remember some of Prime's concept art showing Samus's face with notes basically saying to make her look more plain, make her lips smaller etc. such a shame we went from that to the catsuit clad male fantasy we have now.

Zelda was already the lead in that wonderful CDi game though. We're people not happy with that game.

Second part I was completely joking about, I don't think any portrayal of a type of character is inherently sexist/racist/etc it all comes down to how it's executed.

I don't know, I don't really have an issue with the suit aside from it being stupid and looking out of place. Samus is supposed to look like Kim Bassinger IIRC and the games reward you with beating them quickly to seeing her in a swimsuit so it isn't really out of line for them to try and make her look attractive, IMO at least.

Crusader Kings II reskin, you're welcome Nintendo.

Whoosh!

CronoShot

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather have a game starring Zelda, or even Sheik. Gender-bending Link is just lazy. Would anything other than pronouns actually change?

Nah, link is who ever you want him to be, he's a canvas in which we project ourselves onto, so sorry Nintendo and Gaf, but I've decided he's officially a guy.

Koozek

I've been playing this series passionately for nearly 20 years now and never even cared once about Link's gender or his generic personality in general. As if it would make a difference with a mute, placeholder character like Link always was intended to be.
If they told me the Link from the Zelda U trailer was a girl, I would have believed it. It would also be cool if it's actually Zelda we're playing as in it.

h#shdem0n

A spin off where you play as Link only to die 15 minutes in, then as Zelda who has to save herself.

Coming to PS3/PS4/Xbox360/Xbone/PC

Dremark

Banned
It's like a drunk person just staggered into the wrong thread by mistake.

He came to the wrong side of town as well, that mod was quick on the draw.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather have a game starring Zelda, or even Sheik. Gender-bending Link is just lazy. Would anything other than pronouns actually change?

I feel the same way. I think Zelda has been taken in directions that let her move beyond the traditional purpose of the character, as has Peach.

I think making her a heroine would work well, alternatively, adding a new character like they did in Mario with Rosalina I think is an even better idea though.

Not

Banned
There's no reason Link couldn't have been a girl in any of the games, since they're all different people in most of the games, besides Aonuma being a kid in the sixties.

Link is a boy now. Linkle is a girl, and she's his daughter. Girls can't have daughters.

Goddamn dude she's not Link's daughter. Or are you being sarcastic?

Top Bottom