• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry Nintendo, we've decided that Link is officially a girl

Looking at all the latest threads and other developments in recent culture... Nintendo should absolutely embrace Captain Rainbow as a launch title for NX. ^^

MrBadger

Do you even GAF? There's a new Other M bash fest every other week blasting on Samus' portrayal and the betrayal of her character in that godforsaken game.

Yeah...the last thing this forum needs is more Other M discussion. I can't remember a Metroid thread that wasn't derailed by it at some point.

hodgy100

SO after a brief read. im confused about what this thread is discussing?

is it poking fun at those that want link to be a girl. or is it poking fun at the people that insist link needs to be a boy even though his biological sex has very little to do with the games and it would be super easy to have a gender swap option jsut to be more inclusive? or is it poking fun at nintendos shitty PR regarding the DS game?

ugly

SO after a brief read. im confused about what this thread is discussing?

is it poking fun at those that want link to be a girl. or is it poking fun at the people that insist link needs to be a boy even though his biological sex has very little to do with the games and it would be super easy to have a gender swap option jsut to be more inclusive? or is it poking fun at nintendos shitty PR regarding the DS game?

We do what Nintendon't Boiyeeee

elhav

In front of the Temple of Time there are two girls. One of them us Zelda. And another one - a docile looking girl wearing a green tunic and hat. However, it's a mistake to call her a girl. This is Link. The son of the temple's chief priest. Yes, a son. No matter how you look at him, he looks like a lovely girl but he's a guy.

"Ganon-san, hello."

He makes a quick bow to me. His voice and behaviour make him look like a female. Or maybe more feminine than a female.

But he's a guy.

Taller than Zelda, and of a very slim build.

But he's a guy.

Looks good in a green tunic.

But he's a guy.

He's holding a sword, so I'm guessing that he was in the middle of training.

But he's a guy.

It's so hot, even though it's almost evening.

But he's a guy.

The damn cicadas won't shut up.

But he's a guy.
Quoted for awesome steins gate reference

Amalthea

Banned
The trick is that both Link and Zelda have each both sexual organs. They just mate with themselves to create clones. That's why there are always new Zeldas and Links and why you never see their "mothers".

I have no idea why I wrote this...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No. Complaining about the point of this thread ("why are we discussing this if there's worse things to talk about?") is.

Pointing out that the critcism that is given by the thread is not justified (just assuming the person thinks it isn't) and that on top of that there is something related where it is worth complaining is bannable? This is awfully close to "every thread may only evoke positive reactions or none".

correojon

So now that we´ve decided that Link´s been officially a lady for the last 20 years, I think it´s time we got a male protagonist in the next Zelda. C´mon Nintendo, make Link a male!

Mihos

Gold Member
I have decided everyone in this forum is a girl

There is nothing in your backstories to prevent it and most your avatars are already female.

wheeplash

In front of the Temple of Time there are two girls. One of them us Zelda. And another one - a docile looking girl wearing a green tunic and hat. However, it's a mistake to call her a girl. This is Link. The son of the temple's chief priest. Yes, a son. No matter how you look at him, he looks like a lovely girl but he's a guy.

"Ganon-san, hello."

He makes a quick bow to me. His voice and behaviour make him look like a female. Or maybe more feminine than a female.

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.

HAHAHA lost my shit there, how did I not think of Steins Gate as soon as I saw this thread?

Nikodemos

So now that we´ve decided that Link´s been officially a lady for the last 20 years, I think it´s time we got a male protagonist in the next Zelda. C´mon Nintendo, make Link a male!
Make Link a guy.

But also make Zelda a guy. Say, Prince Zeldarion: the honest, handsome yet gentle ruler of Hyrule.
Who happens to have a secret crush on Link.

This. Thank God. Last time they did was with Twilight Princess and people complained even more.

2108f5_822316.jpg

Always relevant

-Minsc-

Funny how nobody seems to disagree with the OP. That's what I call effective moderation.

It all depends on evilores intent. If he's being passive aggressive at Nintendo for not conforming to his idea of "equality" then I certainly disagree. If he's poking fun at everybody in a satirical fashion then I have little to no issue.

Ninjimbo

This. Thank God. Last time they did was with Twilight Princess and people complained even more.
Twilight Princess was great though and probably the best Zelda game. It's the best selling one too, I think. I'm not sure how that game got a reputation of being bad. It's one of the highest rated games ever.

Like seriously, why do the haters get to dictate the discussion around a game?

-Horizon-

If we get a female Link, the Zelda Cycle pretty much guarantees she will be loved and requested for years to come after the initial "hate and series ruining" period :T

specdot

"Ganon-san, hello."

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.

But he's a guy.
Well done! You're like a mad scientist or something.

weevles

Zelda was created at time when male devs generally crafted stories based on their own male-centric view of the world. Now that times have evolved, Nintendo could very well make a game in the world of Hyrule with a female protagonist or a user selectable one with no damage to that franchise.

Nintendo is a strange target for this kind of topic though...they make games that everyone enjoys regardless of who is the avatar (Metroid, Zelda, Mario), and they feature playable female and male avatars. Peach had her own game, Samus has her own series, there's characters like Daisy and Rosalina (which both myself and my son enjoy playing as), Birdo....I'm honestly a little confused as to why we're talking about girl Link--are we advocating changing every male character into girls now just because....?

BlazinAm

Zelda was created at time when male devs generally crafted stories based on their own male-centric view of the world. Now that times have evolved, Nintendo could very well make a game in the world of Hyrule with a female protagonist or a user selectable one with no damage to that franchise.

Nintendo is a strange target for this kind of topic though...they make games that everyone enjoys regardless of who is the avatar (Metroid, Zelda, Mario), and they feature playable female and male avatars. Peach had her own game, Samus has her own series, there's characters like Daisy and Rosalina (which both myself and my son enjoy playing as), Birdo....I'm honestly a little confused as to why we're talking about girl Link--are we advocating changing every male character into girls now just because....?

Or make new adventure game with a female lead.

Top Bottom