• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 3 - IGN review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/661/661222p1.html

8.0 Presentation
Soulcalibur is loaded with goodies and the character creation is wonderful, but it and many other new ideas are quite rough. Ambition has hampered implementation, it seems.
9.5 Graphics
Stunning environments and charming characters with personality complement superb animations and abundant effects. The framerate does take a hit on very rare occasions.
7.5 Sound
There's terrific music, but most of the voices and basic sounds might well have been ripped from Soul Blade and we'd never know. In short, please add some diverse newness.
8.5 Gameplay
A terrific fighting engine with plenty of leeway will let fans and newcomers alike enjoy themselves...together. The new singleplayer modes are a bit suspect, though.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
An uncanny amount of extras with ties directly to the new character creation feature mean there's plenty to seek. If only the seeking were just a touch better.
8.5 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

I am obligated to use one word to describe Soulcalibur III. According to our rating scale "great" equates to a score between 8.5 and 8.9. And so I must use that funny little word and accompanying score to sum a whole enormous game up, because SC III is simply great. But what does that actually mean?

In short, it means the additions to Soulcalibur III aren't very good, but the refined base game that was previously so excellent is still quite great. It means that regardless of how interested a player may be in creating a character for little reason or partaking in many of the less interesting modes for no reason, that player will still adore the smooth fighting and incredible design of this fast, neatly presented title with loads of extras and immense replay value.

It's great like that.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
IGN said:
7.5 Sound
There's terrific music, but most of the voices and basic sounds might well have been ripped from Soul Blade and we'd never know. In short, please add some diverse newness.

"Diverse newness?" Is there some sort of conspiracy going on with this game, where the reviewers are going out of their way to avoid giving the game a score of nine that they're going to nitpick over the sound effects?

Lyte Edge said:
"Diverse newness?" Is there some sort of conspiracy going on with this game, where the reviewers are going out of their way to avoid giving the game a score of nine that they're going to nitpick over the sound effects?

Damn if I know, so who's the king of 3D fighting game sound effects then?

I would have expected a higher presentation score considering, well, the production values of the game looks amazing, Namco goes all out on it's fighters on that front.

Klotera

IGN Says: "It's an astonishing game despite the lack of progressive scan support.:"

Gamespot says: "If you've got a widescreen progressive-scan display, so much the better, as the game takes full advantage of it. "

Looks like IGN isn't checking their facts.... again....

kevm3

I don't even really care for reviews anymore... Well the score part of them anyways. I look at the facts, see if they provide a package I like, then I get the game. A lot of reviewers tend to try to be 'controversial' these days by providing out-of-line scores. Fuck them.

Solid

well ivan did review god of war.. so his opinion is at least worth something. i think i'll wait for da drop on this one and get POP3 this year instead.

edit: fuck i just saw the masterbit video at ign. i'm buying this!

Deg

Banned
IGN are retarded. Then again GS arent any different. Both reviews are completely inconsistent with each other. :lol

The DOA4 reviews will be interesting.

jarrod

Banned
Wow, moving SC3 to a single platform seems to not only have killed consumer interest, even the industry itself couldn't care less now. :p

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Was there ever a theory advanced as to why they kept this PS2 exclusive? Is it scheduled to appear on any other console at this time?

Deg

Banned
jarrod said:
Wow, moving SC3 to a single platform seems to not only have killed consumer interest, even the industry itself couldn't care less now. :p

Because once a good game leaves a Nintendo platform its bad AM I RITE?

jarrod

Banned
Guileless said:
Was there ever a theory advanced as to why they kept this PS2 exclusive? Is it scheduled to appear on any other console at this time?
Sony paid for it. It's not a theory either, 7-8 months ago SC3 was headed to 3-4 platfoms.

Ganondorf>Link said:
I forsee a Next-Gen port due to dissapointing sales.

Revolution?

I'm willing to bet this will be on the Revolution. I doubt Namco is going to just ignore it. Link+Ganon+free online play+Controller sword=goodness beyond belief. :D

I bet this will be a 360 title too. Remember, Namco has said that the exclusive deal only applies to current gen consoles.

Deg

Banned
jarrod said:
For most it seems actually. Soul Calibur 2.5 indeed.

I wonder who are more pissed? The PS2 owners or fanboys who cant handle it not coming on their favourite system.

Klotera

Regarding the SC 2.5, "it's the same game", etc. comments:

They're really stuck in a bind. If they don't change it - everyone complains that they didn't change it enough. However, if they do change it much, all the SC fans will complain how they "broke" it.

And we wonder why companies don't care about the opinions of the "hardcore" gamer.....

Xellotah

Klotera said:
Regarding the SC 2.5, "it's the same game", etc. comments:

They're really stuck in a bind. If they don't change it - everyone complains that they didn't change it enough. However, if they do change it much, all the SC fans will complain how they "broke" it.

And we wonder why companies don't care about the opinions of the "hardcore" gamer.....

Well to be fair .. SC2 was a good upgrade to SC with improved graphics and some additions to the combat system. SC3 seems to be a just a quickie upgrade with a few new characters.

Raiden

Banned
Well what more can you add? Some lame ass ''rpg'' mode like Mortal Kombat..

Nah i am very happy with an 8.5, i dont expect anything more than that.

Solid

banned

Thank fuckin-god. The mod who banned him gets free Kaylani videos.

And as for the topic at hand. Soul Calibur III has been getting great reviews everywhere, I don't see why fighting genre fans shouldn't at least give this game a rent.

slade

IGN's review was surprising but it's not like fighting game fans haven't had to put up with nitpicks since the genre lost its mainstream appeal. Anybody remember Daily Radar's Capcom vs. SNK review where the guy basically said that 2d fighters had not brought anything new to the table since SF2 and would just look prettier as time progressed. Then, faced with criticism he had the nerve to front as a hardcore fighting game fan.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
jarrod
Banned
(Today, 06:55 AM)
Reply | Quote

good riddance as well. n-tards indeed.

Top Bottom