• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 3 - IGN review

Deg

Banned
rusty said:
Any details?

Just picked it up...can't wait to try it out when I get home from work.

Something about a record system and setups i think. Might be handy. I dont get it myself :p i think its about setting actions for the dummy? You can do 1st actions and then second actions to practice certain situations.

Mrbob

chespace said:
jarrod
Banned
(Today, 06:55 AM)
Reply | Quote

good riddance as well. n-tards indeed.

Well, we may have to give them some slack as this is a tough week for Nfans. Liberty City Stories just came out on PSP, and Resident Evil 4 and Soul Calibur 3 are out this week on PS2. They are getting attacked on 3 fronts at once. ;)

I'm going to be patient and hold out hope that an upgraded online enabled 360 version is coming out sometime next year. Otherwise I'll wait for the magical 20 dollar price point and get it for PS2.

Deg said:
Something about a record system and setups i think. Might be handy. I dont get it myself :p i think its about setting actions for the dummy? You can do 1st actions and then second actions to practice certain situations.
That's a great addition. Thanks for the info.

scarybore

Solid
Banned
(Today, 02:56 PM)

jarrod
Banned
(Today, 06:55 AM)

Main reason im not buying it. SC2 itself didnt do much for me.

Same, it seemed to lose something from SC for me, dunno what but the spark was gone. Not that it was terrible or anything.

Deg

Banned
SC2 content wise was a step forward and backwards. Still a good sequel but not a complete patch on SC1. Not saying it wasnt a must have. I am hoping SC3 does feel like it has the best of everything the first 2 had.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just a few more hours until I can start creating ULTIMATE GOKU!!

Are none of you excited???

Deg said:
SC2 content wise was a step forward and backwards. Still a good sequel but not a complete patch on SC1. Not saying it wasnt a must have. I am hoping SC3 does feel like it has the best of everything the first 2 had.

Make that best everything the first 3 had!! Soul Blade easily get's forgotten!! :(

I really missed the interactive ending and such from the first Soul game, it's great to hear them make a come back.

Lakitu

st5fu
Solid, banned again. :(

8.5 is pretty respectable considering the gameplay hasn't changed much, I'll probably get it eventually though.

Edit: Yes, Soul Blade is the best! Respect bitches!

Brandon F said:
Just a few more hours until I can start creating ULTIMATE GOKU!!

Are none of you excited???

Since I'm not following the scores like gospel like others I'm certainly excited, plan to pick it up in the 2 for 3 deal at Toysrus.

Solid getting Banned, excellent.

I got no issues with Jarrod though, always seemed like a cool guy with his "PSP/DS" upcoming game release threads.

C- Warrior said:
Solid getting Banned, excellent.

I got no issues with Jarrod though, always seemed like a cool guy with his "PSP/DS" upcoming game release threads.

You don't have issues? You haven't been as around then. Read between the lines beside release threads regarding any and all things PSP or Playstation for that matter.

Brandon F

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Make that best everything the first 3 had!! Soul Blade easily get's forgotten!! :(

I really missed the interactive ending and such from the first Soul game, it's great to hear them make a come back.

Yea, they were pretty neat. I'd like to see the passage of time return during rounds as well, silly visual gimmick, but I always loved it.

Duderz

Banned
:( over jarod getting banned.

He had a good point - no one really seems as excited over this game. There's even a thread on GAF about this - no love for SC3.

And :D @ Mr. Bob. Why aren't you banned for a comment like that?

Thanks christ jarrod got banned. Annoying Nintendo sensationalist who never admits he's wrong. He's be singing a very different tune if this saw a GC release.

Why would he get banned for saying he might buy it for his PS2 when the price drops?

well regardless, I too am holding out for online X360 version later next year.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Drinky Crow said:
I'm totally pumped to play this game. MAF's gonna come over tonight and we'll get some classic fight on.

be prepared to re-learn whoever it is that you play.

your first 5 minutes with the game = WHAT THE FUCK? THIS SUCKS! OH WAIT, THIS IS SWEET. OH MAN, THEY CHANGED THIS SHIT.

Are the changes for the better or for the worse, would you say?

Also, how much does Greg Kasavin suck? I'm gonna say I'd put his Suck Factor at an 8.2 right about now.

VictimOfGrief said:
well regardless, I too am holding out for online X360 version later next year.
Do you make a habit of waiting for unannounced games? Hell, nobody would like that more than me...but we've seen nothing at all that would point to this being true.

rusty said:
Do you make a habit of waiting for unannounced games? Hell, nobody would like that more than me...but we've seen nothing at all that would point to this being true.
Blim mentioned a whisper of it in the VF5 thread. I've heard rumblings of porting to "other" systems since SCIII was annouced for the PlayStation 2.

Deg

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
Blim mentioned a whisper of it in the VF5 thread. I've heard rumblings of porting to "other" systems since SCIII was annouced for the PlayStation 2.

Thats SC4 not SC3.

It's great, nice amount of characters. Challenging as hell on normal difficulty, the music is great, Siegfried is voiced by Crispin Freeman, etc. At least those are the things I enjoy. Story mode could have been better though. Everyone has 2 costumes, and each costume has an alternate color. So technically it's 4 I guess. This isn't a review, mind you. Just comments.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Can you talk about story mode and the strategy mode more? Are they as bad as reviews say? Honestly, I know it makes me very unl33t, but those are the modes I'm most likely to play in this day in age without online multiplayer.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Drinky Crow said:
Are the changes for the better or for the worse, would you say?

Also, how much does Greg Kasavin suck? I'm gonna say I'd put his Suck Factor at an 8.2 right about now.

The changes are for the better, at least for the characters I play (Maxi, Nightmare, occasionally Raph) ... but for the most part they're just remapped to different buttons/motions.

I wonder if Kasavin sucks. Hey Greg, come down the street, let's play. :)

Musashi Wins! said:
Can you talk about story mode and the strategy mode more? Are they as bad as reviews say? Honestly, I know it makes me very unl33t, but those are the modes I'm most likely to play in this day in age without online multiplayer.

The story mode is pretty fun. It's like one of those pick the direction you go books. I haven't played the Strategy game because I was uninterested ( you have to use the custom chars to play it )

Kingpen

I hit up Toys R Us this morning and got Soul Calibur 3, Resident Evil 4 and Spartan: Total Warrior. They were just taking them out of the boxes they shipped in.

I fired up Soul Calibur and it is mind boggling. The polish on this game is insane. I'm going to be playing this one for a long, long time

Brandon F

Tales of Legendia trailer on the included Demo disc, US Voice acting samples included. Just a heads up.

Also there is a trailer for some game called Bounty Hounds which looks like the lovechild of PSO and Crimson Sea. Oh shit...it's on PSP!

Top Bottom