• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur V goes gold - New Vids, Screens

Skilletor

Even patches aren't a guarantee things will get fixed. SC4 had a few major imbalances (Hilde) which was even fixed but only for the Broken Destiny release. They were considering to release BD for PS3 and 360 as well, but that plan was shut down.

But in the case of SC3 AE, most things were fixed.

Aeonin

So what was the very last part of the new preview?

I know there is an extra character for preorder (can I pay more NOT to get him?). But what was that extra bit?

Seemed something about extra armor for create-a-character. Is that a preorder bonus as well?

TDLink

I know there is an extra character for preorder (can I pay more NOT to get him?). But what was that extra bit?

Seemed something about extra armor for create-a-character. Is that a preorder bonus as well?

In the states you get Dampierre for pre-ordering at Best Buy, in Europe it is for pre-ordering anywhere. The two armour sets you get for buying the Collector's Edition, I believe.

Also, don't be hating on Dampierre, he looks awesome.

sleepykyo

I'm concerned about the polish, but if Namco allows Soul time to patch it should be ok.

SC3 console would have ended up with SC3 AE if we could have patched with the PS2.

360 users should be fine.

It seemed to be running okay at STA(granted super/other flashiness usage was still pretty low) and those were PS3 builds. Granted I think some slowdown is still going to happen so Skilletor will have to adjust.

In Japan first run copies get Dampierre and those create a character armors.

In the US, Best Buy pre-orders get Dampierre and the collector's edition gets those armors.

Not sure how Europe handles Dampierre, but I think the armors are still collector's edition.

Skilletor

360 users should be fine.

It seemed to be running okay at STA(granted super/other flashiness usage was still pretty low) and those were PS3 builds. Granted I think some slowdown is still going to happen so Skilletor will have to adjust.

Most of the builds at majors have been ps3 and I haven't heard anything about framerate, so hoping for console parity this time around.

Butulino

Exclusive multiplayer online preview
- Preview event at Tokyo Namco Bandai Studios
- Demo Station with Mad Catz Sticks
- an hour of play
- Dampierre and Algol playable characters
- The online mode of Soul Calibur V is divided essentially into two sections: Player Match and the Global Coliseum.
- Player Match: players can create special rooms, access to challenge friends in single match or in small tournaments.
- Viewers can leave comments in a chat room.
- Global Colosseum is an Extended Lobby, which can access up to 50 Player
- Each player is represented by a card (which can be customized with a number of options)
- UI very "visual" and easily readable.
- Selecting a player card, you can check stats and challenge a Player
- In the MIddle of Colosseo there are two section
- Random Match is always available
-Players can place their card for random matches
- The other area is dedicated to the Ranked Match. It will not always active: will light up about 2 times a month, for a few days.
- Ranks from E5 to A1. To level-up, you must defeat a player of higher level or many opponents with same rank.
- Another major introduction is the Soul Link. You can choose up to three players to be monitored constantly to keep an eye on their stats and activities. (A sort of Autolog)
- Soul Calibur V servers are located in the Tokyo office,
- Netcode is very stable

http://www.everyeye.it/ps3/articoli/soul-calibur-v_hands-on_15857

EDIT: English version of article: http://www.everyeye.it/ps3/articoli/soul-calibur-v_hands-on_15857?pagina=2

Soul-Calibur-V_PS3_w_7515.jpg

Netcode is always stable in private events and in Japan where they have firehoses for internet connections.

Don't want to jinx it, but Namco is not yet on the level for online play with their current fighters. Hopefully this is solid and not the usual reinvent the wheel between releases we tend to get.

DR2K

Banned
Netcode is always stable in private events and in Japan where they have firehoses for internet connections.

Don't want to jinx it, but Namco is not yet on the level for online play with their current fighters. Hopefully this is solid and not the usual reinvent the wheel between releases we tend to get.

Updated Tekken 6 ran pretty well. So I have some faith in SCV, but for the most part I agree that these small tests are not reliable.

V_Arnold

T6 netcode was amazing after the first patch (which came in a few weeks after release, anyway), so I have no worries about that. EU player here, so do not hate me, west coast vs east coast players, that is a different meter of what is good or not :p

Skilletor

People keep saying T6 is good after patch, but after being called out on it, I played again and still think it sucks. I've given up on Namco and netcode.

alstein

People keep saying T6 is good after patch, but after being called out on it, I played again and still think it sucks. I've given up on Namco and netcode.

I don't think it was the netcode that was bad, but the game being super lag-hostile due to how reactionary it is. Some games just won't play well online no matter what, Tekken and ST are the best examples. HDR had pretty awesome netcode (better then any other Capcom game), and yet the game had a ton of lag abuse due to the way characters played.

Some games are just friendlier to an online experience then others. VF5's online was helped by its play, Blazblue as well.

There are some things I like about Tekken online:

I think their ranked system was the best of any fighter this gen. You got gold for fighting, you generally could get matched up with good connections of your own skill level roughly for the most part (until the playerbase died), and I liked picking your character before the match started.

I have real, serious doubts about SCV having good netcode, but maybe it can approach VF5, if it does, then it should be ok, unless Just Guard starts becoming a big factor on reaction at distance (which I think is unlikely)

Yeah, I play it with a group of knuckle dragging mouth breather Tekken players I know and it's the worst of the online fighters I've played.

Well I guess it at least has the decency to just shit itself and drop the connection before it encounters lag. :p

From what I recall Soul Calibur 4 online was more stable than Tekken 6. Although I haven't revisited it recently.

BlazBlue
SF2HDR/SF3:3Soe/Street Fighter 4
Poop on a Stick
Tekken 6

That's pretty much the order of netcode reliability for online fighters I've played.

Sectus

- Netcode is very stable
035.jpg

If they base the netcode on playing it in an area like that... then yeah, that statement means absolutely nothing.

Yup. Heck, I've given up on just about every fighting game developer when it comes to netcode. Almost all of them are trash unless you fight with someone who lives very close by.

LowParry

Man, they always say the netcode is stable/good in these preview events. No trust until games comes out.

This is true. SC4 had ass netcode compared to T6 if we're going that route. But the global match thing sounds really cool. Wait till we play it and see where it goes.

DR2K

Banned

nah, it was an unplayable mess before the patch. Very playable after it, but like most fighters it just depends on who you're playing. If anyone is expecting some miracle netcode that'll just work great with anyone on any condition than they're in lala land. Especially with a game as rushed out the door as this.

V_Arnold

nah, it was an unplayable mess before the patch. Very playable after it, but like most fighters it just depends on who you're playing. If anyone is expecting some miracle netcode that'll just work great with anyone on any condition than they're in lala land. Especially with a game as rushed out the door as this.

Lol, you still clinging to that attitude?
This game is anything but rushed.

DR2K

Banned
Lol, you still clinging to that attitude?
This game is anything but rushed.

If the developer says that it's rushed. It is rushed. I've heard little to nothing about the single player mode. Content wise the game looks a little barren. So on both ends it looks a little bare bones.

I post only news that may be of interest ... If you are not interested, just don't read ;)

I like everyeye but what you're doing is non-paid advertisement. The TOS is pretty clear on it.

Even the other game journos on the site are first and foremost users, not just newsers. Don't turn GAF into this kind of stuff.

Butulino

I like everyeye but what you're doing is non-paid advertisement. The TOS is pretty clear on it.
Even the other game journos on the site are first and foremost users, not just newsers. Don't turn GAF into this kind of stuff.
I only did what any other user could done: share a news, and report the source. I do not think I have gone against the TOS.
For me the issue is closed.

I only did what any other user could done: share a news, and report the source. I do not think I have gone against the TOS.
For me the issue is closed.

It's closed for me too, i just want you to post more, and like a human being! ItaGAF needs more active posters, esp in the gaming biz. Anyway, did you play it?

edit: you're the editor in chief for news at Everyeye, correct?

alstein

I can't see ranked mode being just 2 times per month. Isn't is part of the TOS to get a game on live that you always have a ranked match and unranked match option?

Probably a mistranslation.

As for netcode, yeah Arc is the gold standard right now. Some folks say that it actually hurts BB as a tourney game, because the experience is so good online. Others say its socioeconomic factors (Blazblue crowd is young, young=poor, poor= less money to travel) . It might be both.

It will be curious how Skullgirls plays out, if it has comparable netcode (GGPO)- I suspect Skullgirls will be an older crowd playing.

As for SC5, if the netcode is good (big if given Namco's history), I think it would be similarly impacted- SC has a ton of casual players. Those who have the potential to become tourney players need a trigger to start hitting tournies- good online play can take that trigger away for many of them.

V_Arnold

If the developer says that it's rushed. It is rushed. I've heard little to nothing about the single player mode. Content wise the game looks a little barren. So on both ends it looks a little bare bones.

The what? The single player mode is reportedly quite extensive, it has been done by CC2 separately. If you did not hear about it, it is your lack of information, not something that is indicative of the game's state. Barren? Bah.

*throws in the towel*
I do not wanna quote your tag, but why do you plan on buying this game, if not to actually play it against others?

TDLink

It does seem a bit bare bones in comparison with some past Soul Calibur games (2 and 3 especially which both had the most content in the series easily). That being said, it looks like it has a lot more content than 4 did and it also seems to have a lot more content than games like Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (either version), which while great had a much longer development time...and tons of people play that anyways. In the end single player content isn't going to matter too much as long as the core fighting is solid and fun (which it seems to be).

If you really want to talk about the single player stuff there still is a Story mode, seemingly with a handful of FMV cut-scenes, an online mode, fully functioned training mode, an arcade mode, and an in depth character creator/costume editor (while many other fighters charge extra money for alternate costumes).

Sure chronicles of the sword, weapon master, team VS, or story modes for each individual character would be cool (and I welcome a return of any of those at any point...especially Team VS), I still think this is a pretty good package whether it has been rushed or not.

V_Arnold

If that is the ignorance that we will be facing with the release, I really will be afraid when it comes to SC's success... if someone uninformed actually listens to these posts, they might miss out a game that is shaping up to be one of the bests in the genre. Wow.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I realize this has been talked about before, but the problem with saying everyone is trash at netcode but ASW, is recognizing that Blazblue was constructed with rollback netcode in mind... the game seems to have more forgiving windows for animation and active frame timing so that rollbacks don't make it jerk around as much as some other games that use that kind of net code. Yeah, they used it in AH3... but AH3, again, is a style of game similar to Blazblue.

It remains to be seen how Skullgirls works out since they have control over their fundamentals with GGPO in mind.

The real issue is that the basic framework for fighting games is otherwise pretty set, and that framework isn't friendly to anybody's netcode, be it input delay based or rollback based.

There's also the issue with 3D games build on the current console hardware having supposedly little processing / ram overhead left for extravagant net code trickery.

I guess, we won't know the final tally until we see some 3D graphic fighting games built from scratch, on new hardware, with network considerations as part of their foundation.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If that is the ignorance that we will be facing with the release, I really will be afraid when it comes to SC's success... if someone uninformed actually listens to these posts, they might miss out a game that is shaping up to be one of the bests in the genre. Wow.

Some of the posts in this thread sound like front page comments on SRK re: games that aren't out and people haven't played yet.

Yup, I done seen a few sample videos, haven't played the game, and yes sir-ee I can tells ya it's doom, series is ruined forever, cats and dogs living together, etc.

DR2K

Banned
The what? The single player mode is reportedly quite extensive, it has been done by CC2 separately. If you did not hear about it, it is your lack of information, not something that is indicative of the game's state. Barren? Bah.

*throws in the towel*
I do not wanna quote your tag, but why do you plan on buying this game, if not to actually play it against others?

So when a developer says that the game is being rushed outright, you don't find it a little odd. Especially with everything shown so far is leading to said viewpoint?

What single player mode? Who said it was quite extensive? What has been shown? I've heard nothing and they've said little to nothing about it. Care to link me to something that shows that mode.

I'm going to call bullshit out when I see it, anyone should be entitled to stating their opinion. To answer your question, yes on both accounts. Will I sit there and smile if the netcode is shitty, there are potentially broken character/infinites, and lack of content and modes abound? Probably not.

TDLink

So when a developer says that the game is being rushed outright, you don't find it a little odd. Especially with everything shown so far is leading to said viewpoint?

What single player mode? Who said it was quite extensive? What has been shown? I've heard nothing and they've said little to nothing about it. Care to link me to something that shows that mode.

I'm going to call bullshit out when I see it, anyone should be entitled to stating their opinion. To answer your question, yes on both accounts. Will I sit there and smile if the netcode is shitty, there are potentially broken character/infinites, and lack of content and modes abound? Probably not.

Well you can look at my last post, that you are conveniently ignoring so you can continue your pointless argument, if you want an explanation. You could also look at the Story Mode Trailer that was posted higher up on this exact same page in this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPjDCK336Aw&feature=player_embedded#

V_Arnold

Yes, you are entitled to that. As am I. So what is the problem with disagreeing? ;)
Also: if the netcode is shitty, I wont smile. Are you anticipating that because....what, exactly?
And broken characters, again: you expect them? Has ANYONE who is seriously into fighting games NOT afraid that the next game will contain too much broken shit? What exactly is looking like the result of your percieved rushjob? What characters are outright broken right now? All I see is that there is a game that has been in the pro's hands again and again and again, and the reaction is overwhelmingly positive. But what do they know, I guess.

About the Single player mode:
http://andriasang.com/comyal/
Edit: Also, beaten by TDLink.

NeonZ

This trailer shows story mode towards the end, 2:00 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5aadhtHF8&list=PLB59E5035B6AE5681&index=1&feature=plcp

According to EDGE, it took them to three hours to finish that story mode. Aside from that, they've also mentioned Arcade with four variations and Quick Play (matches against more than 100 pre-created characters with the player climbing rankings while defeating them). There's also Legendary Souls, a boss rush mode with matches against old bosses.

Sectus

*throws in the towel*

As far as I know, CC2 was hired to do the cutscenes, I don't think they did any gameplay work.

The game had a development time of one and a half year. I'm not sure what is common for fighting games, but that sounds a bit low.

V_Arnold

As far as I know, CC2 was hired to do the cutscenes, I don't think they did any gameplay work.

The game had a development time of one and a half year. I'm not sure what is common for fighting games, but that sounds a bit low.

That does not sound low for me. Especially when they had a lot to build upon (SCIV engine, a lot of the assets, the bulk of the character creation).
It is not a new generational leap for an older series after all. That was SCIV.

Top Bottom