• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur V goes gold - New Vids, Screens

DR2K

Banned
Yes, you are entitled to that. As am I. So what is the problem with disagreeing? ;)
Also: if the netcode is shitty, I wont smile. Are you anticipating that because....what, exactly?
And broken characters, again: you expect them? Has ANYONE who is seriously into fighting games NOT afraid that the next game will contain too much broken shit? What exactly is looking like the result of your percieved rushjob? What characters are outright broken right now? All I see is that there is a game that has been in the pro's hands again and again and again, and the reaction is overwhelmingly positive. But what do they know, I guess.

About the Single player mode:
http://andriasang.com/comyal/
Edit: Also, beaten by TDLink.

Last SC had a horrible netcode, TK6 had a poor one at launch and a mediocre one at patch, pretty good indicator of SCV. A rushed console fighter is prone to be more broken. aka SCIV with Hilde and her 1 hit ring outs. You'll find out in a few days after release if anything is broken. I'm only saying that they're possibilities, they have happened before.

Single player mode looks like it's there at least. Which is very nice. Is there an English version of said trailer?

Well you can look at my last post, that you are conveniently ignoring so you can continue your pointless argument, if you want an explanation. You could also look at the Story Mode Trailer that was posted higher up on this exact same page in this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPjDCK336Aw&feature=player_embedded#

My apologies, I didn't see it. Thanks.

Aeonin

That does not sound low for me. Especially when they had a lot to build upon (SCIV engine, a lot of the assets, the bulk of the character creation).
It is not a new generational leap for an older series after all. That was SCIV.

Which is kind of cool in a way. This is PS3's SCIII. I just hope they learned some lessons, kicked the SP up a notch, and get better netcode.

Plus what I'm actually most excited about this time is custom characters armor have nothing to do with their abilities/powers. It made SCIV's most creative characters effectively useless.

Suairyu

Banned
Yup. Heck, I've given up on just about every fighting game developer when it comes to netcode. Almost all of them are trash unless you fight with someone who lives very close by.
Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 had some absolutely lovely netcode.

Yep. I remember playing ages ago with haunts.
Cross-country, both of us were still pretty solid with counters (my Aoi vs. his Goh)

The interface was shit though. You had to exit to the main online menu if you wanted to change characters. No lobbies, no spectating.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If that is the ignorance that we will be facing with the release, I really will be afraid when it comes to SC's success... if someone uninformed actually listens to these posts, they might miss out a game that is shaping up to be one of the bests in the genre. Wow.

I may or may not buy this down the road, but I'm still not quite sold on them hitting the generational timeskip button this late in the game, when a bunch of fan favorites have been established.

I may or may not buy this down the road, but I'm still not quite sold on them hitting the generational timeskip button this late in the game, when a bunch of fan favorites have been established.

It's just going to get Tekkened anyway. I'm pretty sure most everyone will be brought back eventually.

BadWolf

Music to my ears, the upcoming port is the only other fighter I plan on getting.

Hope the initial days are filled with noobs, I haven't played the series since VF4 on the PS2 and have never played the series against a human opponent.

Got my pre-order in for the CE today. My perfectionist tendencies makes me hope Namco releases "official" CaS recipes for the White Knight and Dark Knight shown in the videos.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yep. I remember playing ages ago with haunts.
Cross-country, both of us were still pretty solid with counters (my Aoi vs. his Goh)

The interface was shit though. You had to exit to the main online menu if you wanted to change characters. No lobbies, no spectating.
One on one only. The upside though was I had decent matches with a few people from Russia and Japan.

I will toss spectating and lobbies in a heartbeat for a playable connection.

(Still wasn't perfect though. DM P+K and got a massive boost online, and it was impossible to counter 2P with an elbow.)

Will I sit there and smile if the netcode is shitty, there are potentially broken character/infinites, and lack of content and modes abound?

pretty much, where is the beta testing and updates on balance fixes like the KOF guys were doing. Constantly updating the community on changes to broken shit and ended with a very balance and fun game. SC has a history of being broke as fuck. Wouldn't be surprised of more of the same and everyone who is genuinely interested would rather wait it out before going through the same thing again. Hilde. . . lag tactics etc.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I realize this has been talked about before, but the problem with saying everyone is trash at netcode but ASW, is recognizing that Blazblue was constructed with rollback netcode in mind... the game seems to have more forgiving windows for animation and active frame timing so that rollbacks don't make it jerk around as much as some other games that use that kind of net code. Yeah, they used it in AH3... but AH3, again, is a style of game similar to Blazblue.
You say this as if it were a given, but it isn't. AH3 is a port of an Examu arcade game that wasn't developed with netcode in mind. BB has no normal moves faster than 5 frames and provides auto-repeat for 5 frames on buttons or dashes held (although this didn't prevent true 1f links in CS1). AH3 doesn't have auto-repeat, has fast normals(down to 1f), makes no allowances in active frames, and has many combos that involve strict timing(even something as simple as Fiona's 2C 623C will whiff if you're not paying attention).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You say this as if it were a given, but it isn't. AH3 is a port of an Examu arcade game that wasn't developed with netcode in mind. BB has no normal moves faster than 5 frames and provides auto-repeat for 5 frames on buttons or dashes held (although this didn't prevented true 1f links in CS1). AH3 doesn't have auto-repeat, has fast normals(down to 1f), makes no allowances in active frames, and has many combos that involve strict timing(even something as simple as Fiona's 2C 623C will whiff if you're not paying attention).

It's also not like those games never have visible rollback glitches, either.

It's just that it seems a game like 3rd Strike Online suffers visible effects a lot more because of the way it moves and animates. The behavior of the characters in a game like BB or AH seems like they have more animations that could cover the visible effects of lag.

What a lot of people complained about when finally seeing GGPO / rollback for the first time wasn't the feeling of input latency (because of how it works) but the choppy nature of the on screen action and being made more visually aware of just how many rollbacks where happening.

At any rate, on the general topic of how this affects 3D games, every opinion I've ever read is that it comes down to processing power and ram on the current platforms the games are targeted at. Rolling back a MVC3 is different from rolling back BB, etc.

I'd be interested to find out just what style of net code VF5 Online used though. Was it input delay based on the client side, just with a reliably short delay? Did it use rollback and hid it really well?

Skilletor

pretty much, where is the beta testing and updates on balance fixes like the KOF guys were doing. Constantly updating the community on changes to broken shit and ended with a very balance and fun game. SC has a history of being broke as fuck. Wouldn't be surprised of more of the same and everyone who is genuinely interested would rather wait it out before going through the same thing again. Hilde. . . lag tactics etc.

The game has constantly been in the hands of the players. Everybody who has hands on time with it has nothing but good stuff to say. What are you talking about?

I swear, people are just spouting stuff off without actually looking at the hours of videos available for this game. I've never seen this amount of footage before release date for a console exclusive fighter. Well, maybe SxT..

It's almost like it is an arcade release with tons of vids of the beta tests coming out.

alstein

I've seen good impressions so far, but a few hours isn't enough time to see bugs/abuses. The only person who's probably had that sort of time and is a top player is Kayane, and she's currently on Namco's payroll over in Europe, and it's kinda obvious she's trying to get into promotion as a career. This isn't me slamming her opinions or play, just stating that she has reason to not go negative.

As for the AH3 netcode, it was still better then any game this gen save BB and possibly HDR (which also suffered from timing strictness)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's also not like those games never have visible rollback glitches, either.

It's just that it seems a game like 3rd Strike Online suffers visible effects a lot more because of the way it moves and animates. The behavior of the characters in a game like BB or AH seems like they have more animations that could cover the visible effects of lag.
It suffers more because GGPO attempts to keep the game speed and timings as fixed as possible with a pre-set input delay, while BB/AH3 vary game speed to keep the game playable. GGPO-style rollback glitches don't happen much in AH3 as a result.

As for the AH3 netcode, it was still better then any game this gen save BB and possibly HDR (which also suffered from timing strictness)
AH3 netcode is less bandwidth intensive than BB, which incurs additional load for spectators.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Actually if the connection is that laggy it'll slow the game itself down so GGPO-style rollback glitches don't really happen much.

Yeah, there's that. Tho I wonder if that tactic applied to other fighting games would cause more or less controversy than input latency.

Personally, I'll take rollbacks, or adjusting the game speed, over input latency.

Sectus

Yeah, there's that. Tho I wonder if that tactic applied to other fighting games would cause more or less controversy than input latency.

Personally, I'll take rollbacks, or adjusting the game speed, over input latency.

I agree with that. Input lag is easily the worst alternative.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Pretty sure that GGPO uses both to some degree.

hteng

Banned
The game has constantly been in the hands of the players. Everybody who has hands on time with it has nothing but good stuff to say. What are you talking about?

I swear, people are just spouting stuff off without actually looking at the hours of videos available for this game. I've never seen this amount of footage before release date for a console exclusive fighter. Well, maybe SxT..

It's almost like it is an arcade release with tons of vids of the beta tests coming out.

yea completely agree, the game has had alot of exposure for the past 1 month, there was a 12 hour marathon gaming session in Japan, a handful of appearance in all relevant fighting game conventions for players to test and make a impression and most importantly Project Soul actually takes in feedback, suggestions from the fanbase.

Some people calling the game bad are really just judging from it's cover.

Sectus

Don't expect this video to be up for long. This press site must be confused as to what is supposed to be shown off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTNyjMPnNFM - They uploaded a video of a unrevealed character. Alpha Patroklos using Setsuka's moveset and a weird looking soul calibur. (they uploaded another video with Edge Master using the moveset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3r5SZfxqlY )

Edge was hinting about this, so it's pretty obviously we'll be seeing an evil Pyrrha with another moveset using the soul edge.

Skilletor

Don't expect this video to be up for long. This press site must be confused as to what is supposed to be shown off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTNyjMPnNFM - They uploaded a video of a unrevealed character. Alpha Patroklos using Setsuka's moveset and a weird looking soul calibur. (they uploaded another video with Edge Master using the moveset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3r5SZfxqlY )

Edge was hinting about this, so it's pretty obviously we'll be seeing an evil Pyrrha with another moveset using the soul edge.

SETSUKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice, gonna grab these for posterity.

Ha, totally called the Pat and Pyrrha with an alt. moveset being them with Soul Calibur and Soul Edge. Really weird that said alt movest for Pat is Setsuka's though.

I haven't posted much in SCV threads, but man, now that the release is almost here I'm so hyped that I preordered the LE when before I was thinking of buying it when it was cheaper.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't posted much in SCV threads, but man, now that the release is almost here I'm so hyped that I preordered the LE when before I was thinking of buying it when it was cheaper.
Sounds like me. Preordered the LE last night. Probably going to cave and order the MadCatz SCV stick today. :(

Bob White

Hey, anyone have any links to high level SC gameplay from older games? Any big names in the SC community that I should youtube to find some good matches?

TDLink

So from this accidental reveal we can determine:

-Alpha Patroklos is Setsuka's replacement...which seems pretty lazy that essentially the same character has two different movesets, but at least we get the style back for this game. It is definitely better than if we got an "Evil Pat" (or whatever) with basically the same moves but suped up. This is still a completely different style, which is good.

-Alpha Patroklos pretty much confirms the other half of the rumour he was bundled with (Soul Edge Pyrrha)

-Alpha Patroklos is not behind the tablet on the 3rd row, which means those "Super Secret" Story characters are not Super Pat/Pyr and still unknown

scosher

I will be so upset if Setsuka isn't in the game now.

At least this means I can make a CAC with her style, though...:(

Same. I like the concept of an "alpha" Patroklos and "evil" Pyrrha, but not having Setsuka or at least a new character to replace her will be disappointing. The moveset looks bland without the parasol :(

I bet Yun-seong has hit the chopping block and evil Pyrrha will drop her shield and adopt his style. And actually make it good by throwing in Sophitia's angel steps.

Sectus

I will be so upset if Setsuka isn't in the game now.

At least this means I can make a CAC with her style, though...:(

I think we can take this as confirmation she's out of the game. They've been making sure there's no two characters in the game using similar movesets.

The big question now is what moveset evil Pyrrha will be getting.

TDLink

I would count on Dampierre being up for DLC sooner rather than later since SCV is an EVO game and I am sure they want him to be eligible. I am betting a month or less after release before he is up on the store.

Top Bottom