• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (and Freedom Wars) shouldn't have been a monster hunter clones :(

Majmun

Is SS fun as a singleplayer game?

MH bores me to death in sp. Not interested in online play from either game.

Story is fucking amazing man. Gameplay isn't fun by yourself though(imo). TBH, from a gameplay perspective, I have had more fun with MH. Luckily SS has a really good story.

Malyse

Every hunting action game = monster hunter clones.

by peoples logic it should be phantasy star clones.

Edit: Also SS's gameplay is not even the same as mon hun

Side note. I would murder everything for a hunting action Kingdom Hearts game. In fact, I would love to play Kingdom Hearts RE:χ[chi] as a hunting action game, mission structure and story intact. And give it online missions for the events. Yesss...

Every hunting action game = monster hunter clones.

by peoples logic it should be phantasy star clones.

Edit: Also SS's gameplay is not even the same as mon hun

Last time I checked, people labeled Sword Art Online game for Vita as monster hunter clone.

So any action game on Vita with an enemy at least twice the size of the player character is a monster hunter clone.

Last time I checked, people labeled Sword Art Online game for Vita as monster hunter clone.

So any action game on Vita with an enemy at least twice the size of the player character is a monster hunter clone.

This pisses me off a lot, in fact, I was in the thread when that happened(people even claim that Dragons Dogma is similar to MH when it isn't). I would say any game(usually on a handheld) that is centered around co-op with a goal of doing nothing but going through the same repetitive arenas grinding for gear and fighting (usually giant)monsters is a MH clone.

Maedhros

Everything is a monster hunter clone now.

The OP should have been "I wished Soul Sacrifice was an ARPG". No one would be shitting on him then.

cyborg009

Banned
I played more than enough soul sacrifice to tell you its not a clone.

BX7pRP4IcAA26xX.jpg

But back on topic I'm not sure how it would work as a RPG since the game is heavily focused on online battles. And the story missions are only with two other people.

Haha pretty much

Do you know what I mean by clone?
I think you should use the word genre instead of clone.

B.O.O.M

the hell...SS is nothing like MonHun. Hell I would say it's an action game with some RPG elements.

SS is it's own beast..the lore, the music and the sorcery based fast combat, it's nothing like MH

Atolm

Meh. We should let the Japanese enjoy their own genres. I think we're lucky because we got SS, we will get Toukiden and probably SS Delta and/or God Eater 2.

leroidys

I agree. I love the artstyle and lore of Soul Sacrifice, and I love the character development system. I love it. And the game is great, I just wish I could've had a full fledged RPG out of it rather than sort of the bite size mission thing. I'd love to have a SS with a world to explore.
Totally agree. I still enjoyed the game for what it was though.

I think you should use the word genre instead of clone.
Has it fully cultivated into it's own genre though? MH came out in 04 and the influx of "clones" is fairly recent. The "genre" doesn't even have a officaily name yet. It isn't like RPGs or FPS, it's still too young a poster said that doom had a similar thing going on in the 90's, I would think that fighting games were in the same situation as well.
the hell...SS is nothing like MonHun. Hell I would say it's an action game with some RPG elements.

SS is it's own beast..the lore, the music and the sorcery based fast combat, it's nothing like MH

"It has the same exact philosophies as MH or other "clones" in the same "genre".

-You have a small hub world
-You fight monsters(usually bigger than you)
-You fight in small repetitive areas
-You fight the same repetitive monsters
-Heavy focus on co-op
-Heavy focus on grinding and preparing for your next mission

When I say "clone" I'm not talking about a Chinese knock off, i'm talking about the same exact design philosophies in the "genre" PlayStation All-stars gets the same response from me.

Anura

By that metric, Dragon's Crown would be a MonHun clone.
Well how about we add "3D with emphasis on skill and pattern recognition". Just face it that most of these games are riding off MH success and/or the genre it created. For all intensive purposes its they're a clone and that doesn't have to be a good of bad thing

Also before someone says "what about Phantasy Star?" I'm going to say "what about Yie Ar Kong Fu?". SF2 is clearly not the first fighter by its name alone but is still heralded as the first one to really make "fighter" a genre or at least forming a baseline to what a fighter should be

Again this isn't a good or bad thing and people should stop getting hung up on it and discuss what OP had intended

I agree that the game could have had more familiarity in the mechanics and core gameplay but it couldn't possibly be a MonHun game: I didn't spend 90% of the time knocked on my ass from getting hit. ;)

I really hope there's a SS sequel though because if adjusted for reasonable feedback it could be a lot more approachable and possibly take better advantage of Vita's features.

You're wrong.
Oh really, so would Soul sacrifice exist if MH was never made. Are you going to sit here and tell me with a straight face that SS didn't steal M's design philophies. Are you fucking serious?
By that metric, Dragon's Crown would be a MonHun clone.
There is obviously more to it to that but anyone who denies that SS didn't steal MH's philosophies are kinda crazy. SS would not exist without MH and it's not a doom or even SF situation when the genre has had years to cultivate and basically evolve into something of it's own. MH came out in 04 and all the MH clones are recent.

Well how about we add "3D with emphasis on skill and pattern recognition". Just face it that most of these games are riding off MH success and/or the genre it created. For all intensive purposes its they're a clone and that doesn't have to be a good of bad thing

Also before someone says "what about Phantasy Star?" I'm going to say "what about Yie Ar Kong Fu?". SF2 is clearly not the first fighter by its name alone but is still heralded as the first one to really make "fighter" a genre or at least forming a baseline to what a fighter should be

Again this isn't a good or bad thing and people should stop getting hung up on it and discuss what OP had intended
THANK YOU

Fewr

I am still wondering if SS is worth playing or not. I started it a few times and liked the setting, but I did not really dig the gameplay so far...

I'm not a fan of the gameplay, but I'm putting up with it because I like the stories.

L Thammy

So I haven't played it myself and will not apply a label, but does Soul Sacrifice have several sets of levels filled with mobs of enemies that have to be button mashed through in order to advance to the boss? Are bosses just a small part of gameplay or the actual focus?

I get the feeling that people who bring up Phantasy Star to defend against the "Monster Hunter clone" term are just working themselves up over semantics, because when we're actually looking at genre, you could recognize that the two are really not all that similar in structure.

So I haven't played it myself and will not apply a label, but does Soul Sacrifice have several sets of levels filled with mobs of enemies that have to be button mashed through in order to advance to the boss? Are bosses just a small part of gameplay or the actual focus?

I get the feeling that people who bring up Phantasy Star to defend against the "Monster Hunter clone" term are just working themselves up over semantics, because when we're actually looking at genre, you could recognize that the two are really not all that similar in structure.

Well for better or worse Soul Sacrifice has a much higher emphasis on small monsters than Monster Hunter does.

Shahed

I agree with the OP. I liked Soul Sacrifice for what it was, but it would have been more fulfilling as an RPG. I was reluctant to play if at first since I never liked Monster Hunter due to a lack of any meaningful solo campaign. Soul Sacrifice did welk in that regard in the lore, narrative and music. Just wish it was contained in a different shell, and from what I've seen I feel the same of Freedom Wars.

Well for better or worse Soul Sacrifice has a much higher emphasis on small monsters than Monster Hunter does.
This is correct. Once you get into the meat of the game, the smaller enemies are just there to push up your score and give you extra casts/health while you're fighting the bigger enemies.

EDIT:

Both the single player and multiplayer in SS are worth playing. The story and the lore are so good, so I guess the SP blows Monster Hunter out of the water in that aspect.

krossj

I enjoyed SS a lot especially the music and presentation. Had fun messing around with different spells and there was a lot of content but I hope they expand with the sequel, incorporate some explorable environments and some interesting gameplay hooks which add more variety.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Yes. It actually has an amazing plot. Also, levels and customizable skills break the monotony. Try out the demo.

I thin the gameplay is amazing as well. Far more fluid than mh or gods eater or what have you, and very unique.

test_account

XP-39C²
Inafune himself said Soul Sacrifice is a Monster Hunter clone.

Let's not.
Where did he say that?

If this is true and Inafune set out to make a MonHun clone with SS, he failed.
I really doubt that he said that. He once said that SS took some elements from Monter Hunter, but thats not the same to say that it is a clone.

Speaking of the word clone, i wonder how long it will take before people in general will start naming these games as an own genre instead of using the world clone.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This pisses me off a lot, in fact, I was in the thread when that happened(people even claim that Dragons Dogma is similar to MH when it isn't). I would say any game(usually on a handheld) that is centered around co-op with a goal of doing nothing but going through the same repetitive arenas grinding for gear and fighting (usually giant)monsters is a MH clone.

The thing is, nobody cares for your arbitrarily defined terms. Calling it a MH clone is inappropriate became it is misleading since they play completely differently. May as well call halo a doom clone, or Rayman a Mario clone, or ys a Zelda clone or whatever. The game belongs to a well established genre, the hunting genre or monster hunting genre. SS andd MH are games in the same genre but are not clones of each other. You say that for every other kind of game but not this one. Why?

The thing is, nobody cares for your arbitrarily defined terms.

So they are my terms? Oh okay.

Calling it a MH clone is inappropriate became it is misleading since they play completely differently.
Oh okay

May as well call halo a doom clone, or Rayman a Mario clone, or ys a Zelda clone or whatever.
The genre that those games partake in has had the time to cultivate and I guess develop into it's own genre. Monster Hunter clones have not.

The game belongs to a well established genre, the hunting genre or monster hunting genre.
"Well established" when the game that started the genre just came out in 04. "Well" established when the games that copied the blueprint of MH just started to pop up.

SS and MH are games in the same genre but are not clones of each other. You say that for every other kind of game but not this one. Why?
I use the word clone because it's using the same exact gameplay philosophies. THE SAME EXACT ONES. MH is still a baby when compared pioneers to in other genres, it's so young that the "genre" doesn't even have a freaking name. Comparing MH and SS isn't like comparing doom to BF4. It's like Doom to the clones(or even the user made WAD mods) that released in the 90's. I don't consider it a genre yet.(and most people I have seen don't either) I put it in the same positions that doom clones went through. The games are different, but not that different. Maybe in about 6 years from now, MH clones will have a actual name and be a well established genre like FPS, fighting games, racing games ect. But as of right now, they are all "clones" to me(and many other people).

Has it fully cultivated into it's own genre though? MH came out in 04 and the influx of "clones" is fairly recent. The "genre" doesn't even have a officaily name yet. It isn't like RPGs or FPS, it's still too young a poster said that doom had a similar thing going on in the 90's, I would think that fighting games were in the same situation as well.

"It has the same exact philosophies as MH or other "clones" in the same "genre".

-You have a small hub world
-You fight monsters(usually bigger than you)
-You fight in small repetitive areas
-You fight the same repetitive monsters
-Heavy focus on co-op
-Heavy focus on grinding and preparing for your next mission

You're basically just describing Phantasy Star Online here.

Sacrimoni

Banned
Do people really think these games would exist if monster hunter wasn't such a phenomenon in Japan?

Are people arguing that the perspective, gameplay and various accoutrements have nothing in common with monster hunter?

Do people seriously think that they're not trying to capture the same audience?

You're basically just describing Phantasy Star Online here.
I could have explained it better but I'll just repost this

Tenki

People bringing up Phantasy Star, when we all know the genre exploded with Monster Hunter, are trying too hard.

Raw64life

I got Soul Sacrifice about a month ago when it became free on PS+. Had never played Monster Hunter or God Eater or any game like this before. While I enjoy the gameplay, boy is it repetitive. There's like a million levels within the Avalon Pacts and it's all the same shit. Every few days I'll pick it up and play about an hour or so before I get bored with it again. And the power-up system with the offerings and arm sigils or whatever and Black Rites....it all seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

I got Soul Sacrifice about a month ago when it became free on PS+. Had never played Monster Hunter or God Eater or any game like this before. While I enjoy the gameplay, boy is it repetitive. There's like a million levels within the Avalon Pacts and it's all the same shit. Every few days I'll pick it up and play about an hour or so before I get bored with it again.

Every MH clone I have ever played is, which is why I made thread. I really wish it was something else.

L Thammy

It didn't start with MH though, which is the point being made.

It also didn't start with Phantasy Star Online, which is a completely different genre altogether. Hunting action games are action games, Phantasy Star Online was an RPG where you mashed buttons to do attacks that all had the same animation. It's hardly more action heavy than any other MMORPG. Why would you even bring it up?

Instead of focusing on differentiating between games of similar style, we should be questioning the absurdity of how OP wants to change a game's genre just because he doesn't like the gameplay.

It's like playing Chess and saying, "Boy, I wish this was Solitaire!"

If you'd rather be playing Solitaire (or in your case, a JRPG), then go play that instead of making a thread and complaining that Chess is not your ideal game.

Instead of focusing on differentiating between games of similar style, we should be questioning the absurdity of how OP wants to change a game's genre just because he doesn't like the gameplay.

It's like playing Chess and saying, "I wish this was Solitaire!"

If you'd rather be playing Solitaire (or in your case, a JRPG), then go play that instead of making a thread and complaining that chess is not your ideal game.

Oh okay then. Point me to the game with SS's story/lore with non monotonous gameplay.

Top Bottom