• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice Import impressions thread

This game does have some story and it's somewhat interesting too.
The English version is coming next month, right?

Yup

I think it's crazy we've heard absolutely nothing about it. No VA, no screens with english translation, etc.

I mean, I'd really like to hear how the VA turned out. Afraid Sony is just going to be Sony and do nothing as far as press for this

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah it's kind of crap with random people. I imagine it's excellent with friends though.
Like a lot of these games, sometimes you get lucky with a decent time, most of the time you don't.

Though it's hilariously awesome sacrificing a weak link for extra damage after they die for the nth time.
Maybe I was just lucky, but I spent most of my demo multiplayer time (a few hours) playing with randoms and we were tearing through bosses so much faster than when I was playing with friends (hi Kyle, Expel and Blue Maxima ;p).

Only thing in MP that may not work with randoms is the higher level magic which requires teammates' help with casting. Stuff like changing into a golem, very strong aoe heal. Given that your only way of communication aside from the short premade message is whistling, which is mostly ignored, it could be hard to coordinate with some random people. Hell, it was hard to coordinate with friends when we weren't using voice chat.
Anyway, aside from the more high-level part of the game (which Kyoufu hasn't yet reached, I guess), I don't know what could be so sucky about it, random Internet idiots aside.
What side are you guys leaning towards? I was gonna go yin and yang but i wanted to do something not like myself and go completely evil on dem sons a bishes.
I was going 50/50 at first but decided to go full chaos for the chaos mode. 1/26 or something at the moment.

cyborg009

Banned
Maybe I was just lucky, but I spent most of my demo multiplayer time (a few hours) playing with randoms and we were tearing through bosses so much faster than when I was playing with friends (hi Kyle, Expel and Blue Maxima ;p).

Only thing in MP that may not work with randoms is the higher level magic which requires teammates' help with casting. Stuff like changing into a golem, very strong aoe heal. Given that your only way of communication aside from the short premade message is whistling, which is mostly ignored, it could be hard to coordinate with some random people. Hell, it was hard to coordinate with friends when we weren't using voice chat.
Anyway, aside from the more high-level part of the game (which Kyoufu hasn't yet reached, I guess), I don't know what could be so sucky about it, random Internet idiots aside.

I was going 50/50 at first but decided to go full chaos for the chaos mode. 1/26 or something at the moment.

Saw a pic of full chaos mode and was very surprised.

Craiji

Yup

I think it's crazy we've heard absolutely nothing about it. No VA, no screens with english translation, etc.

I mean, I'd really like to hear how the VA turned out. Afraid Sony is just going to be Sony and do nothing as far as press for this

There have defiantly been some gameplay shots in English, and swore I have seen a vid with someone playing an early English build at a show (CES IIRC)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/15/soul-sacrifice-tough-choices-colossal-bosses/

I am wondering about the VA too though...

Qvoth

thanks
anyway how are the sales for this game?
nicovideo doesn't seem to have a lot of videos for this game even after release... are the japanese not that interested or what?
even in nicolive there usually isn't much viewers if someone's streaming it

I personally haven't played too much multiplayer with randoms in the full game, but I did in my 8 hour run with the demo. Never had too much trouble either!

I was mostly trying to say that with these sort of MP games where coordination is important, it can be a bit tougher to get good teamwork going.

More impressions:

I just found the huge fork/pizzathehut monster. Defiantly had to take a different approach with this guy compared to what had come before him. Quite an epic battle! Hoping to get some new magic soon.

Don't forget to add me for some multiplayer. I head back to the US tomorrow so I will be up for some MP then.

edit: my PSN is: KevinLarrabee

For those who have it already, do you feel it's better to focus on levelling 1 side (purely good or purely evil) or is it better to have a balanced build? Or can you max both sides?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For those who have it already, do you feel it's better to focus on levelling 1 side (purely good or purely evil) or is it better to have a balanced build? Or can you max both sides?
It's MUCH easier to go for two sides, since you can actually take more than one hit before dying (hello full chaos) and deal some damage (unlike full holy).
There's no real downside, aside from losing the chance for Holy/Chaos mode (someone would have to confirm that, though) and the 99 level for one side trophy.

Kyoufu

I suggest going for a balance until you are comfortable with certain builds. Monsters do a ton of damage so it's easy to get decimated if you aren't careful.

Once you're good enough where you don't take much damage and have a good arsenal of magic spells then you can use the level down option to build how you want.

It's MUCH easier to go for two sides, since you can actually take more than one hit before dying (hello full chaos) and deal some damage (unlike full holy).
There's no real downside, aside from losing the chance for Holy/Chaos mode (someone would have to confirm that, though) and the 99 level for one side trophy.

Interesting. So there's not much in the way of damaging holy spells? Or is it the tradeoff of being more sustainable thus less damage?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Interesting. So there's not much in the way of damaging holy spells? Or is it the tradeoff of being more sustainable thus less damage?
There's no such thing as "holy" spells, the whole system is basically getting def + hp for Holy and attack power for chaos levels. Certain seals have additional passive bonuses for a certain level of your Holy/Normal/Chaos hand and that's it.
What I meant is that you don't get the overall damage boost from chaos mode, so you deal much less damage if you go full holy.

Played multiplayer with some randoms for like an hour and a half tonight. I needed to get certain routes unlocked for the Avalon quests, so I felt bad that I was being so demanding about saving vs sacrificing, but nobody seemed to mind whenever I was like "SAVE HIIIIM."

Afterward, I started putting it up to vote, which was hilarious in its own way. Lots of awkward *starts sacrificing, stops. Starts saving, stops.*

Overall it was a blast though. They were all super high level compared to me, but they stuck around until I had to leave.

Here are some random caps I took. Not all of them are great, but it's kind of hard when you have to press two buttons at once!

BFE9Me4CAAA54Sb.jpg:large

BFE9aPZCIAEGHrW.jpg:large

BFE91JLCUAAlLCZ.jpg:large

BFE88rCCEAE49jb.jpg:large

Maedhros

Aren't you playing the game?

Everyone gets the same experience in the end. I don't really know how it's determined, but everyone still gets one of the types of experience in the end.

There's no such thing as "holy" spells, the whole system is basically getting def + hp for Holy and attack power for chaos levels. Certain seals have additional passive bonuses for a certain level of your Holy/Normal/Chaos hand and that's it.
What I meant is that you don't get the overall damage boost from chaos mode, so you deal much less damage if you go full holy.

Ahhh. I can't see a benefit to full Holy then. Or is the base damage for some spells quite high?

nampad

These impressions got me really hyped for the game. To think back that I hadn't any interest in this game in the beginning because of its disgusting artwork it is quite a 180. Still not a fan of the overall style but gameplay seems fun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Played multiplayer with some randoms for like an hour and a half tonight. I needed to get certain routes unlocked for the Avalon quests, so I felt bad that I was being so demanding about saving vs sacrificing, but nobody seemed to mind whenever I was like "SAVE HIIIIM."

Afterward, I started putting it up to vote, which was hilarious in its own way. Lots of awkward *starts sacrificing, stops. Starts saving, stops.*

Overall it was a blast though. They were all super high level compared to me, but they stuck around until I had to leave.

Here are some random caps I took. Not all of them are great, but it's kind of hard when you have to press two buttons at once!

I just finished the Nimue intro missions last night and unlocked multiplayer, but haven't had a chance to play it at all yet. How do you communicate with people online? Is voice chat an option?

Also, (light chapter 1 spoiler)
is there any way to save Nimue, or do you have to sacrifice her? I tried saving her once, but she just kept attacking me after she got revived

expel

I just finished the Nimue intro missions last night and unlocked multiplayer, but haven't had a chance to play it at all yet. How do you communicate with people online? Is voice chat an option?

Also, (light chapter 1 spoiler)
is there any way to save Nimue, or do you have to sacrifice her? I tried saving her once, but she just kept attacking me after she got revived

it's forced story one, u can't do anything different for her

Kyoufu

So after that glorious session I must say... this is amazing. The game has opened up and I now have a variety of magic to use. Battles are intense at higher difficulties and the magic system coupled with teamwork really sets this apart from Monster Hunter.

I'm born and bred on MH but this is different enough where I actually feel it's refreshing and innovative. Inafune is a genius.

Oh and while I don't really use my Vita all that often (it collects dust usually) this is the first game that I feel justifies the Vita's existence. Even the touchscreen use in battle is fun and intuitive.

Everyone buy this game.

Cha

it's forced story one, u can't do anything different for her

Ah, so there really is no way. My initial goal (before the demo) was to save everyone. I saved her 3 times in the demo, before granting her request for death. Still entertained the thought that there might be a way around it in the full game. Nimue ;_;

Glad to see that Kyoufu is having a better experience :)
Keep those impressions coming.

DrFurbs

So after that glorious session I must say... this is amazing. The game has opened up and I now have a variety of magic to use. Battles are intense at higher difficulties and the magic system coupled with teamwork really sets this apart from Monster Hunter.

I'm born and bred on MH but this is different enough where I actually feel it's refreshing and innovative. Inafune is a genius.

Oh and while I don't really use my Vita all that often (it collects dust usually) this is the first game that I feel justifies the Vita's existence. Even the touchscreen use in battle is fun and intuitive.

Everyone buy this game.

This is excellent news - good for you

Maedhros

Everyone buy this game.

Good... good!

Everyone buy this game.

Haha, that's one helluva turned around!

Also, fuck Cyclops and his fetal position attack.

To those of you who have already played, is Soul Sacrifice like most monster hunting games where playing solo is insanely difficult and pointless?

To those of you who have already played, is Soul Sacrifice like most monster hunting games where playing solo is insanely difficult and pointless?

It's difficult, not impossible. The story mode is a completely single player affair. The Avalon stuff is MP or SP, but you can always bring AI partners with you. Of course it's much easier if they're actually people. Haha.

It's difficult, not impossible. The story mode is a completely single player affair. The Avalon stuff is MP or SP, but you can always bring AI partners with you. Of course it's much easier if they're actually people. Haha.

Thanks. With bots it sounds like it can be manageable.

In this way, the setup is basically just like MH. You have the story quests, which are only done solo (with story npcs), and you have the Avalon quests, which are basically SS's version of MH's Guild Quests (up to four players, or you can take two NPCs with you). There are likely to be a bunch of monsters you only fight in Avalon quests, and the end of the Avalon quests is likely a lot harder than the end of story mode.

As far as my impressions go, I'll post something indepth in a few days or so (and probably make a YouTube video). All I will say for now is that this is one of those games that I play on the train to work and the whole time I'm thinking about how I never want the train to stop.

Afrit

Seems decent so far with good production values but it just doesn't grab me in the way MonHun does. Boss fights aren't anywhere near as fun yet, but I'm not very far in the game at all.

I'll have to evaluate my feelings for this game in about a week after a good amount of playtime. For now I just hope boss fights improve because so far they are not fun or challenging to fight.

I can't see this game being too popular. You have to unlock multiplayer by doing some bullshit story mode.
In a multiplayer focused game.

Everyone buy this game.

lol, I got very hyped now. Day one for sure!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So, I finished companions' quests and the main story mode quests today.
Still have about 2/3 of the Avalon quests (which can be done in multiplayer) left and if I don't do most of them I don't stand a chance against the final boss, whom you can fight from the very beginning.
Loving the game, both gameplay and the way the story is written and presented.
Golems are a bit op - properly used can get you through most of the solo boss fights in the sp mode. I know that the main story quests are easier than the later Avalon ones, but still, hope they nerf it a bit.
Loving the game so far, I've put many hours into it already and I probably won't put it down any time soon.
Screenshots:
iXAtBGjccwkFb.jpg

Second forbidden art, still need to get the other 3.
iuDPDhsZOXHrw.jpg

iPx8pTv6Vwuhv.jpg

i2Kbz4kqPB5PX.jpg

Spell which changes YOU into a golem, but it requires another player to help activate it.
i9BO3yddufcvh.jpg

OP golem tactics.
iborFXK6Ig45Kj.jpg

Phoenix.

Oyashiro

My only concern is that the game will be boring and repetitive. I've never played a MH game or any of the many games like it, so maybe it just looks like a lot of the same stuff to me.

Top Bottom