• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice Import impressions thread

My only concern is that the game will be boring and repetitive. I've never played a MH game or any of the many games like it, so maybe it just looks like a lot of the same stuff to me.

In my opinion, the combat looks far more interesting than Monster Hunter's because of the outlandish spells and monsters. I don't think it would get boring or repetitive until you unlock every spell and complete every quest a few times over.

Kyoufu

There better be cross region play support.

Don't think there will be :(

My only concern is that the game will be boring and repetitive. I've never played a MH game or any of the many games like it, so maybe it just looks like a lot of the same stuff to me.

From what I've played, it's intense and with 6 magic slots you're not mashing the same button over and over again especially when you have to dodge attacks and replenish your stock of spells.

As an MH fan, I find that there is more variety to this game in battles, but I personally don't find MH repetitive so maybe my opinion doesn't mean anything to you.

Played more today. This game is really good if you're a fan of 4 player hunting action games. Really satisfying when you charge up your sword or bone and clobber monsters.

Love it love it love it.

BadWolf

In my opinion, the combat looks far more interesting than Monster Hunter's because of the outlandish spells and monsters. I don't think it would get boring or repetitive until you unlock every spell and complete every quest a few times over.

Yes, the thing that I really like about SS over MH is its focus on offence and the variation available therein.

DrFurbs

Guys slightly off topic but its related this this game. I have a friend whos in Japan right now and I asked if I could send him some case would he buy a Vita for me since they are cheaper there including SS.

What would the shipping charge be to the UK by Fedex and would customs royally dick me if they get the package?

I want this game so bad - since I love MH.

Kyoufu

The Cyclops monster is the best boss I've fought since the elder dragons in MH2/MHP2.

Amazing stuff. My palms sweat every time.

Kyoufu

A random JP party and I just got our asses handed to us by high rank Cerberus. The game started off pretty simple so I was worried about the difficulty but once you progress you'll witness insanity.

One thing I will say that I've heard is that this game isn't very grindy like Monster Hunter. You're rewarded for your performance rather than hoping RNG favours you and the Desire Sensor ignores you. In this game, if your total score at the end of the quest is high enough, you'll reap the rewards.

Now this is both a good thing and sort of a bad thing. Less grind means less potential playtime, so in theory you'd play SS less than MH. What they'll do with future content remains to be seen. We know there will be DLC coming that adds monsters to fight but what if you acquire everything quickly? Will you still continue playing? Replay value is something they'll have to look at if they want this to be popular.

Kyoufu

They will probably add very hard bosses in the DLC I would imagine or multiple bosses hunts per level.

There are already multiple bosses per quest. Very challenging and very satisfying. :D

Hopefully they support this with DLC until the sequel.

Actually, I hope it sells well enough to warrant a sequel!

For people who love Monster Hunter but are expecting a clone from SS, Kyoufu is definitely the guy to listen to here, since he's a vet MH player. He's in one of the best positions to actually compare and contrast.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
One thing I will say that I've heard is that this game isn't very grindy like Monster Hunter. You're rewarded for your performance rather than hoping RNG favours you and the Desire Sensor ignores you. In this game, if your total score at the end of the quest is high enough, you'll reap the rewards.
You don't always get the same rewards though, even with the best ranking, iirc. Plus you need multiple souls of certain bosses to unlock seals, so there's that too. How it compares to MH? No idea. ;p

Kyoufu

I've been doing some high level hunts. I've been surprised by how different/beefed up the monsters become.

For example, low rank Cerberus is like the one you've seen in videos for months, but high rank Cerberus uses various new attacks that make it a lot more challenging and interesting than simply increasing its health and damage as an artificial power up.

And on a random note, I like how they handle death in this game. You can die as much as you want (MH is limited to 3 lives for the group) and if you're sacrificed then you can still aid the group by touching a player or enemy on the screen to buff/debuff. I'm not a fan of touch controls for anything but that feels original and fun.

levitan

Having been playing it for a few days, I say this game lives up to the hype. Or even better. The things that I like about it:

> So many destructible parts from the boss (e.g. Harpy), I just like the feeling of it (though it doesn't do much other than bonus pts and stunning (some) bosses)
> really great soundtrack and art style
> More fast-paced than MH, IMO.
> The story isn't half-bad, which is surprising
> This game actually make my hand sweat when playing some MP.
> The difficulty!

And yes, I am looking forward to some insanely difficult DLC boss fight. The SP on its own is very satisfying, but you have to play the MP...It is so ridiculously good.

I played it for 15 hours today.

This game owns my soul.

Why so many CoachKevin? lol

Two for friends, the others for ebay to fund a Red Vita.

Having been playing it for a few days, I say this game lives up to the hype. Or even better. The things that I like about it:

> So many destructible parts from the boss (e.g. Harpy), I just like the feeling of it (though it doesn't do much other than bonus pts and stunning (some) bosses)
> really great soundtrack and art style
> More fast-paced than MH, IMO.
> The story isn't half-bad, which is surprising
> This game actually make my hand sweat when playing some MP.
> The difficulty!

And yes, I am looking forward to some insanely difficult DLC boss fight. The SP on its own is very satisfying, but you have to play the MP...It is so ridiculously good.

Agreed on the combat, I found MH to be too slow. In SS I can move fast, attack fast, and there is still plenty of room for mistakes. I have had to replay multiple bosses in the 2nd and 3rd chapters to learn their weaknesses and attacking patterns. Loving SS, even without being able to follow the story.

fionel

only played about 5 hours since release (with data of another 3-4 hours from demo carried over) so I'm sure I could be wrong on a number of things, but my impressions of the game hasn't changed much from those of the demo. Here are some of the things that left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

- this game is more like a boss rush than monhun ever was. you walk into a stage and the boss is usually right in front of you. There is very little exploration in the levels.
- quests that involve normal enemies are a walk in the park and boring as there are only a handful of enemy types and palette swaps, and they are total fodders.
- they claimed that there are about 300 types of spells but I believe each spell has 5 elemental variants which essentially boils that number to 60 give or take. While I have only used about 15-20 so far, there is a clear distinction about what spells are usable and what are not. Especially so in single player as it seems like anything other than offensive spells have no place in your 6-slot spell list.
- while I am not a graphic whore and will most likely get flamed for this, the visual fidelity in this game is too low for a vita game. It looks like it runs on the lowest resolution out of any game I have seen on the Vita (and I've seen maybe over 30 games on it) And though nothing game-breakingly detrimental frame rates do drop occasionally from 30fps when you play multi-player.

I tried playing with some randoms online and I still wasn't feeling it. Waiting for my buddy to grab his copy and then I will re-evaluate this game. Hopefully things will only look up as it has for some of the others in here :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, what are some of the magics you guys are using? I've still barely played the game (just the first chapter and some of the buddy missions), but I feel like I'm not doing very well. I haven't lost to anything yet, but my magic just feels underpowered.

only played about 5 hours since release (with data of another 3-4 hours from demo carried over) so I'm sure I could be wrong on a number of things, but my impressions of the game hasn't changed much from those of the demo. Here are some of the things that left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

- this game is more like a boss rush than monhun ever was. you walk into a stage and the boss is usually right in front of you. There is very little exploration in the levels.
- quests that involve normal enemies are a walk in the park and boring as there are only a handful of enemy types and palette swaps, and they are total fodders.
- they claimed that there are about 300 types of spells but I believe each spell has 5 elemental variants which essentially boils that number to 60 give or take. While I have only used about 15-20 so far, there is a clear distinction about what spells are usable and what are not. Especially so in single player as it seems like anything other than offensive spells have no place in your 6-slot spell list.
- while I am not a graphic whore and will most likely get flamed for this, the visual fidelity in this game is too low for a vita game. It looks like it runs on the lowest resolution out of any game I have seen on the Vita (and I've seen maybe over 30 games on it) And though nothing game-breakingly detrimental frame rates do drop occasionally from 30fps when you play multi-player.

I tried playing with some randoms online and I still wasn't feeling it. Waiting for my buddy to grab his copy and then I will re-evaluate this game. Hopefully things will only look up as it has for some of the others in here :)

Always good to read more critical posts to keep expectations in check.

Still keen to check it out come May.

levitan

So, what are some of the magics you guys are using? I've still barely played the game (just the first chapter and some of the buddy missions), but I feel like I'm not doing very well. I haven't lost to anything yet, but my magic just feels underpowered.

Try to play with some high lv. players in MP. Then you can get some real nice loot. Avoid getting killed unnecessarily though...Later in the game you start upgrading your spells and craft some new spells.

Maedhros

- Yes. This isn't MH. Not everyone likes exploration/grinding for materials/gathering ores
- Easy quests? Aren't these expected? MH too have ridiculous quests like this.
- If they claim there are 300 spells, it's because there are 300 spells (but I don't recall them saying this at all)
- Bullshit. Game runs almost on the resolution of Vita. It's not native resolution, but far from being the lowest resolution.

I hope you enjoy the game though. If not... well, no loss.

fionel

- Yes. This isn't MH. Not everyone likes exploration/grinding for materials/gathering ores
- Easy quests? Aren't these expected? MH too have ridiculous quests like this.
- If they claim there are 300 spells, it's because there are 300 spells (but I don't recall them saying this at all)
- Bullshit. Game runs almost on the resolution of Vita. It's not native resolution, but far from being the lowest resolution.

I hope you enjoy the game though. If not... well, no loss.

The bullet points I listed are what left ME feeling a little underwhelmed and are of course entirely subjective. However I do not want to give off the wrong vibe that I'm comparing this to MH with a checklist. I want to clarify that I walked into this game with moderate expectations and an open mind, as least as open as not trying to label it as a "hunting" game or as a MH clone.

About the # of the spells, I'm not saying they lied or anything, but that people who have read about the 300 spells sales pitch should keep their expectation in check as only a fraction of that is unique in terms of their moveset. I probably read about the 300 spells thing in Famitsu or some japanese publication.

For the record I said it looks like it runs on a resolution that is the lowest on the Vita I HAVE SEEN. There may be other games that run on even lower resolutions but if u compare this to games that run on native res like umvc3 or dynasty warriors I think the difference is very obvious.

Kyoufu

I understand what you're saying fionel. That was my initial impression too.

Then everything clicked. As I progressed, magic became very fun to use due to the variety available and bosses were a challenge.

You may not fall in love with it but it was always designed to be a "boss rush" action game and for me it's a competent one.

As for graphics, it doesn't look that good but to be fair there is a lot going on with 4 players using all sorts of spells, big monsters doing their thing and smaller monsters in the area too. I think it looks good for a very busy game.

Try playing with a friend as that really makes the game shine.

It's sold out almost everywhere.

Where are you located though, in Shinjuku/Shibuja/Akiba I saw a lot of people buying it, but there were still copies at the big places like Bic Camera.

One thing I saw was the PSO2 Silver Vita bundle sold out everywhere.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I know this might be a noob question but can I play the north american version on my european vita?
Yes, but if the game has an online pass (pretty sure it does being a Sony game) you can't play it online on a non-US account.

LMN

From what I see, there are no reward or point for players who going to holy arm route right? I mean in term of power not defending or hp, cause I remembered vaguely (not sure where) that Inafune mentioned there will be a great reward for those who going to saving/holy arm route.

Edit: lol top of the page, even though I don't own the game yet (not until end of April =P), BUY soul sacrifice!!

Top Bottom