• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice Import impressions thread

Everything I had seen and read about the game made it seem like something I'd want to buy, up until I listened to the 8-4 guys talk about it. They've all said that the game was awesome and a joy to play, going so far as saying that it felt better than Monster Hunter, but something else they've said bothered me. Apparently, the game is one long boss rush mode. There are no standard enemies to kill a'plenty while roaming the lands. Every encounter is supposed to be boss-like in that they are all unique.

Can anybody confirm ? I thought the game had giant levels if not being entirely open-world, with tons of monsters to hunt.

Kyoufu

So for those who planning to play solo or clearing the game with Law, is not worth it to go that route?

Law's base damage is fine for soloing. You can increase your damage with seals if you wish. The game is very flexible!

Everything I had seen and read about the game made it seem like something I'd want to buy, up until I listened to the 8-4 guys talk about it. They've all said that the game was awesome and a joy to play, going so far as saying that it felt better than Monster Hunter, but something else they've said bothered me. Apparently, the game is one long boss rush mode. There are no standard enemies to kill a'plenty while roaming the lands. Every encounter is supposed to be boss-like in that they are all unique.

Can anybody confirm ? I thought the game had giant levels if not being entirely open-world, with tons of monsters to hunt.

It's not open world. Just one map, like Monster Hunter, but unlike Monster Hunter the map is smaller and not made up of small zones. It is essentially a boss rush game. Kill the big monster and you win.

LMN

Law's base damage is fine for soloing. You can increase your damage with seals if you wish. The game is very flexible!

Cool! When I first heard about this game, I already make up my mind to go toward full "Law", glad that the game is flexible =P

Kyoufu and I are both going Law, and we've had no problems so far. Game gives you a ton of options, so damage output really isn't a huge issue.

It's not open world. Just one map, like Monster Hunter, but unlike Monster Hunter the map is smaller and not made up of small zones. It is essentially a boss rush game. Kill the big monster and you win.

Thank you for clarifying. I guess I will not be buying this game.

Keep playing the JP demo. I would honestly be happy playing the demo forever if I had any clue of what was going on.

Is the only clue a spell is going to break soon by the flashing icon? Yellow, then red?

Also if it breaks does pressing Triangle on the broken icon in the equipment menu repair it?

The floor texture issue is baffling. Objects at a distance seem to have a sharper texture than the floor? Not a huge issue, I only ever look at the floor at the intro to a level.

levitan

Is the only clue a spell is going to break soon by the flashing icon? Yellow, then red?

Also if it breaks does pressing Triangle on the broken icon in the equipment menu repair it?

Yup. You can always sacrifice your enemies/teammates to refill it though. There are places in the map where you can refill your magic too. The tears are not easy to come by in the early stages of game, but later you will have too many.

DrFurbs

So guys a week or two later, how's the game holding up for repeatability and holding your interest? Does it have lastibility?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So guys a week or two later, how's the game holding up for repeatability and holding your interest? Does it have lastibility?
I'm still playing almost every day, but it seems like the end of Avalon chapter 8 is a wall for me as far as clearing it with the npcs go. Will have to join Kyoufu, Expel and RK/Ryouga/DJ Mizuhara/JR for some multiplayer again it seems.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I tried an online game last night with three other players up against the Elf Queen and damn... the framerate really tanks, doesn't it? Barely playable.

I hope other stages are better.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I tried an online game last night with three other players up against the Elf Queen and damn... the framerate really tanks, doesn't it? Barely playable.

I hope other stages are better.
What? Only times when I've noticed framerate drops, not little dips were moments when everyone including the boss was making a hell on Earth with spells. Maybe it was because of Queen's pollen attack, which makes a big number of objects to appear on screen. I think Slime's rage meat attack might have similar effect, but other than that it was mostly smooth sailing for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What? Only times when I've noticed framerate drops, not little dips were moments when everyone including the boss was making a hell on Earth with spells. Maybe it was because of Queen's pollen attack, which makes a big number of objects to appear on screen. I think Slime's rage meat attack might have similar effect, but other than that it was mostly smooth sailing for me.

I hope that's the case. I've only played the one match.

The Queen's pollen attack didn't cause any slowdown when battling her in single player alongside Merlin.

Kyoufu

100 hour game from what I can tell. Maybe DLC pushes it further but the pacing is very fast. Only thing you'll grind are levels if you want to reach Chaos or Law forms at level 99.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Since I've had nothing better to do on my lunch break at work, I've finally cleared chapter 8 of Avalon. Soloing Cyclops and Cerberus was a bit annoying, but sacrificing both npcs, using Salamander plus skillful Goleming is a great recipe for success. Doubt it'll fly in C9 though...

expel

played with Keiician, RyougaSaotome and Jonnyram tonight. Attempted to beat the 9 stars warewolf....to epic fail! The stage is kind of ridiculous, 3 levels, kinda narrow and with wind blowing too... XD

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Played for... 3 hours today with Expel, Ryouga and JR, doing mainly forgotten requests (extra quests). Finally fought Valkyrie, Unicorn and Siren - I really like how recolors have their own original attack patterns and aren't only reskins with different elements.

We've also almost killed a 9 star Werewolf on the most annoying stage ever (3 levels, wind pushing you down), but we died before we could start sacrificing each other.

Aside from that, we found out that most extra quests have additional conditions - clearing them within a time limit (2-8 minutes from what I've seen) or clearing them completely unharmed. Seems like the true endgame divided between normal 8+ star quests and the extra ones, both providing different challenges.

Only a few (the most grindy ones) trophies left until the platinum. I wonder if I'll be able to do it during the weekend.

Some screenshots from today:
iqQxo5QbvHZbn.jpg

Werewolf stage.
i8zCNUcHAlOMJ.jpg

Glepnired Werewolf.
ixJuCjaoU65Zg.jpg

Our party after Ryouga left. :(
i1TvuUam0XcvC.jpg

Clock appears when there's less than 1 minute left in the timed quests.
ipw8pfM4SxruU.jpg

Dying Unicorn.

vg260

So, never having played a Monster Hunter-type game, I'm tempted by MH Freedom Unite on sale for $10 for play on the Vita. Is that worth getting into, if I'd only be dabbling in it, and will be getting this for sure?

Kyoufu

So, never having played a Monster Hunter-type game, I'm tempted by MH Freedom Unite on sale for $10 for play on the Vita. Is that worth getting into, if I'd only be dabbling in it, and will be getting this for sure?

You'll probably find MHFU to be a bore as it doesn't have online multiplayer.

lunlunqq

Even if I don't typically play multiplayer?

I think it still worth playing as a single-player. But some of the later G-rank monsters will give you a very hard time if you fight them solo.

You can absolutely play MHFU online co-op via Ad Hoc Party. You just need a PS3 with wired connection to your router. I was playing MHFU online on my Vita via Ad Hoc Party not too long ago.

Jonnyram

That Werewolf was fucking nuts.
I feel like I'm really hitting a bunch of hard stuff in solo now, around the top end of 4*/5* stuff.
I think I really need to level up my Law side for more def/HP until I get used to some of these crazy bosses.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is the game still good with single player?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After finally killing chapter 9's Werewolf (second quest in C9 destroyed us) and breezing through most of the 3rd chapter of Forgotten Quests, we hit a wall - 8-9 start boss fights where you CAN'T BE HIT. Killing Kraken took us (Expel, JR, Ryouga and me) about 30 minutes, but we finally were able to do it. Using a combination of time stopping and the Gleipnir forbidden art (stops enemy for a while, deals huge damage and turns off your seals as the offering) plus looking out for rat minions and some aggressive Kraken's attack was enough to clear that one.

After that we tried taking on the next Forgotten Quest - Slime fight without taking damage. Small stage, enemy throwing meat everywhere, no real place to run or hide plus cat minions around. After trying the Kraken tactics which was far from enough given boss'es HP, we found out that killing yourself with a health-sucking magic doesn't fail the quest.
So, in addition to 4 forbidden arts, boss would get hit by 3 rounds of sacrifice magic as well. Having thought of that, we all switched to Salamander (basic forbidden spell doing AoE damage) and even tried Gorgon (turns you into a turret, your field of vision gets super small after that), losing every single time.
Not giving up, Expel/JR died themselves to write down the damage of all Forbidden Arts and Sacrifice spells, so that we use the most effective combination of the above.
It turned out that while Excalibure has by far the highest damage, the amount of Golem hits we can get on the boss while he's Gleipnired makes the latter a more viable choice.

In the end we failed, everyone got sleepy and we'll probably try it again today, but trying to come up with weirder and weirder tactics ("Ok, so first we all use Salamander and then three of us get sacrificed" was an actual quote) was so much fun, that even not clearing this after 1+ hour didn't make me mad. Actually, I had tons of fun.

One thing is important here - Ryouga and JR's levels were much lower than Expel's and mine, so that's one of the reason this was so hard, but WE DIDN'T CARE. This game is awesome.

Edit:
I totally forgot 2 WTF-ROTFL moments during yesterday's multiplayer. First one was during the Werewolf fight, when Ryouga sacrificed Expel near the end of the fight, because the body was invisible under a Golem and he thought it's just a rat (that's what he said). Thanks to that we were able to kill Werewolf faster, so no harm done!
Second one was when Kyoufu sacrificed me out of the blue and I'm going to hate him forever now. >:[

Patapwn

I was originally super stoked about this game. Finding out it was devoid of exploration kinda killed my boner. I was hoping this would be more than a boss rush

Think I'll pass

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sounds fantastic guys. Do you guys use party chat? Work well enough on the Vita/SS?

thanks.
Works great, but due to the recent PSN instability, there are instances when something is kicked from the chat. Despite that, when it works, it works great.

Finally hit 1/99 today! For anyone who wants to grind, first quest in chapter 5 is the best for that. Really easy and doesn't take THAT much time. With 2 people you can try golem spamming the Slime in chapter 7, since he can be killed in under a minute if you're both strong and farming this gives you a lot of tears (got 2,5k+ yesterday).
Only clearing chapter 9 and 10 left for the platinum trophy!

Edit:
While browsing the Japanese wiki I saw an interesting piece of information - aside from 2 new bosses and a new stage, a new forbidden art - Berserk is supposed to come out in April.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
i8XuN88.jpg

Got my third platinum trophy ever. Took me 58 hours and a lot of help from friends to clear the hardest quest which are much much harder with NPCs. Still not done with the game, there's quite a bunch of quests left, but they don't count for the trophies. Really weird, given that they are the hardest ones in the game, because of the time/take no damage additional rules.

Kyoufu

http://i.imgur.com/i8XuN88.jpg?1

Got my third platinum trophy ever. Took me 58 hours and a lot of help from friends to clear the hardest quest which are much much harder with NPCs. Still not done with the game, there's quite a bunch of quests left, but they don't count for the trophies. Really weird, given that they are the hardest ones in the game, because of the time/take no damage additional rules.

Exactly why they don't count.

btkadams

i8XuN88.jpg

why is metal gear rising listed as both ps3 and ps vita? o_O

Takao

Banned
so i read in the media create thread SS sold in 160k units approximately. Is this good, can it ensure a sequel?

The only one who can answer that question is Sony. For a new IP from SCE, on a platform like Vita, that is a good result. However, we don't know what their expectations were.

cyborg009

Banned
Works great, but due to the recent PSN instability, there are instances when something is kicked from the chat. Despite that, when it works, it works great.

Finally hit 1/99 today! For anyone who wants to grind, first quest in chapter 5 is the best for that. Really easy and doesn't take THAT much time. With 2 people you can try golem spamming the Slime in chapter 7, since he can be killed in under a minute if you're both strong and farming this gives you a lot of tears (got 2,5k+ yesterday).

Only clearing chapter 9 and 10 left for the platinum trophy!

Edit:
While browsing the Japanese wiki I saw an interesting piece of information - aside from 2 new bosses and a new stage, a new forbidden art - Berserk is supposed to come out in April.

Probably makes you into a insane killing machine like Guts.

The only one who can answer that question is Sony. For a new IP from SCE, on a platform like Vita, that is a good result. However, we don't know what their expectations were.

I assume high... they actually put effort in this.

Jonnyram

That doesn't included downloaded copies, and noone knows what kind of legs it will have just now.
There's a lot of DLC planned, both free and paid for, and it takes a while for word of mouth to spread for games like this. It could keep selling — we'll just have to see.

I've been playing through the end of the story mode the last few days. I'm so close now, right in the middle of the last chapter. The battles are super intense and the story has taken me by surprise. The monsters get pretty damned strong, but thankfully you get some really powerful high level magic to fight them with. Looking forward to hitting up the high level Avalon chapters once I'm done with the story. Current levels are 21/42.

Top Bottom