• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice Import impressions thread

Cidd

Loving the soundtrack of this game, So tempted to get a Vita but I'm holding out until E3 maybe a price cut in the US soon I hope.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Probably a stupids question, since NEAR is extremely limited, but is there anything that SS does in the NEAR or network side of things outside of MP and items? EG: Unit 13 you could unlock certain missions through NEAR that you hadn´t reached in single player, that and daily challenges too.

Kyoufu

Probably a stupids question, since NEAR is extremely limited, but is there anything that SS does in the NEAR or network side of things outside of MP and items? EG: Unit 13 you could unlock certain missions through NEAR that you hadn´t reached in single player, that and daily challenges too.

Only NEAR options are to send/receive gifts (magic).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Only NEAR options are to send/receive gifts (magic).

Disappointing. Kinda hoping that devs would be embracing this and trying to utilize it in more ways. Still, that said, it is nice to have a game come out that has been welcomed by the Japanese public in a time when we thought the Vita was all but forgotten. =)

fionel

I understand what you're saying fionel. That was my initial impression too.

Then everything clicked. As I progressed, magic became very fun to use due to the variety available and bosses were a challenge.

You may not fall in love with it but it was always designed to be a "boss rush" action game and for me it's a competent one.

As for graphics, it doesn't look that good but to be fair there is a lot going on with 4 players using all sorts of spells, big monsters doing their thing and smaller monsters in the area too. I think it looks good for a very busy game.

Try playing with a friend as that really makes the game shine.

Yes, I'm sure the game will only get more fun once I start playing with friends. I can't wait to try out the co-operation spells or sacrificing my friends for a laugh :)

But yeah, thanks for the reassurance. I'm looking forward to have a change of opinion soon enough!

Kyoufu

Just finished story mode.

The spell rewards were lame but I now have all the 8★, 9★ and 10★ quests unlocked. They're pretty crazy though, need to be 70+ to have much of a chance.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I just finished the story mode.

Took me 27 hours 33 minutes, including the multiplayer content and the ~10 hours from the demo (if those count). I was 17/41 (Holy/Chaos).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the story mode.

Took me 27 hours 33 minutes, including the multiplayer content and the ~10 hours from the demo (if those count). I was 17/41 (Holy/Chaos).

Do the missions ever become anything other than a boss rush? I've been taking it slowly and have just finished the first two chapters, but damn if these missions aren't extremely samey.

Kyoufu

Do the missions ever become anything other than a boss rush? I've been taking it slowly and have just finished the first two chapters, but damn if these missions aren't extremely samey.

No, it's either fragment collecting, small enemy killing or boss killing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's either fragment collecting, small enemy killing or boss killing.

Yeah, I figured as much.

Right now I'm really enjoying everything about the game outside of the battles. I mean, they aren't bad, but the repetition has already started to set in. It doesn't help that I have some relatively minor complaints about the interface that add up to be annoying.

For example, why doesn't it tell you how many uses you have left on an "offering" while in battle? Also, it would be nice if there was some indication of how much time your current magic has left before it expires. Just little things like that...

It also doesn't help that the number of "useful" offerings seem to be rather limited in the context of the single player campaign.

I should really try getting online and playing with people to see if I enjoy that much more.

Kyoufu

Yeah, I figured as much.

Right now I'm really enjoying everything about the game outside of the battles. I mean, they aren't bad, but the repetition has already started to set in. It doesn't help that I have some relatively minor complaints about the interface that add up to be annoying.

For example, why doesn't it tell you how many uses you have left on an "offering" while in battle? Also, it would be nice if there was some indication of how much time your current magic has left before it expires. Just little things like that...

It also doesn't help that the number of "useful" offerings seem to be rather limited in the context of the single player campaign.

I should really try getting online and playing with people to see if I enjoy that much more.

The offering's icon flashes yellow when it's low and a message coupled with rapid red flashing warns you that it will expire on next use.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The offering's icon flashes yellow when it's low and a message coupled with rapid red flashing warns you that it will expire on next use.

Yeah, I realize that part, but I'm wondering why it's just not just a number considering they tell you exactly how many uses an offering has before the battle.

ZeroAKA

I just signed up to make the OT for Soul Sacrifice, and I'm beginning to work on it now. Just as a heads-up, I might have to ask some of you guys who already own the game to clarify a few things later on.

This will be my first OT, so hopefully I won't disappoint! :p

Kyoufu

Yeah, I realize that part, but I'm wondering why it's just not just a number considering they tell you exactly how many uses an offering has before the battle.

Probably easier on the eyes than trying to read the tiny number. I know I'd prefer the flashing indicator to a number personally.

You really need to play this game online. It has a story mode but the game's focus is always going to be multiplayer. Give it a shot.

Im thinking of grabbing the digital version on the Hong Kong store. If I do will I be restricted to just Hong Kong players or will
I still be able to play against Japanese players?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I don't know about that, most of my magicks seem to be pretty viable in the sp. Only a few ones requiring friends + the area heal are useless when playing alone/with bots.

Kyoufu

I don't know about that, most of my magicks seem to be pretty viable in the sp. Only a few ones requiring friends + the area heal are useless when playing alone/with bots.

Area heal is actually the best heal.

In one use you can recover 100% HP.

You can't do that with a self heal.

Korezo

Do you collect any gear that makes character appearance different and give stats? or do you only use magic in this game? What I love about MH is the armor and weapon collecting, is SS like that?
I have the jpn SS but dont want to play in jpn, so it's for sale and still sealed.

Kyoufu

Do you collect any gear that makes character appearance different and give stats? or do you only use magic in this game? What I love about MH is the armor and weapon collecting, is SS like that?
I have the jpn SS but dont want to play in jpn, so it's for sale and still sealed.

In SS you collect magic and seals (seals are like armor skills). Your appearance changes by unlocking new costumes/arms but that's it. Your combat is only effected by magic, seals and level gains.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You get clothes for completing various quests, but they don't change your stats. What changes them are the passive hand seals, unlocked through completing missions, killing enemies, sacrificing etc. The latter don't visually change your character.

Edit:\Beaten by the maniac. :(

Maedhros

You get clothes for completing various quests, but they don't change your stats. What changes them are the passive hand seals, unlocked through completing missions, killing enemies, sacrificing etc. The latter don't visually change your character.

Edit:\Beaten by the maniac. :(

In a way, it works better than some other series where the stats are tied to the armor... like Dark Souls. There's so many cool armors there... sometimes, you just want to use one or other. Good thing they're pretty varied.

cyborg009

Banned
So called free DLC boss gameplay

http://youtu.be/kYOcGHWIIbE

Remember he was shown since the game reveal

FIJkcJR.jpg

7O4BiFU.jpg

I just listened to the entire Red Sun Gamer discussion of Soul Sacrifice. I'm not sure you guys managed to sell me on the game one way or another, but you did remind me that PSO2 just came out and it would be a fool's errand to try playing so many games at once while having approximately the same amount of free time as Eric.

Jonnyram

Interesting point in the comparison between SS and MH was the amount of content.
To be fair, MH at this point in time has such a large history, it's very easy for Capcom to drop previous bosses into new games, everyone goes "ooh" and the number of bosses is pumped up. No such luxury for SS, so it's nice that there are providing DLC after release.

Me, Kyoufu, and Expel just went on what can only be referred to as the most historic quest in the history of SS.

I'll elaborate later, but it was magical. And there was a lot of screaming over party chat. And tears. So. Many. Tears.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Me, Kyoufu, and Expel just went on what can only be referred to as the most historic quest in the history of SS.

I'll elaborate later, but it was magical. And there was a lot of screaming over party chat. And tears. So. Many. Tears.
I doubt it can beat what we just did with Expel, RK and Kyoufu, lol.

Minotaur fight, we all used our forbidden art, Expel got kicked and both Kyoufu and me broke most of our spells. RK was running around killing the fodder enemies so that we could continue using our remaining attacks, but got kicked near the end.

Kyoufu had 0 useful spells left, I had 2 golem uses and 2 bugged spells (it sometimes happens, first time for me). Kyoufu died, I sacrificed him used one golem, Minotaur was still alive. Used the second one and started rolling in the attack zone of the golem, so that Minotaur doesn't run away. I could easily get killed in one hit, but was lucky enough for the golem to kill the enemy. Finished the fight with 2 bugged (unusable) spells and a heal.

Sacrificed the hell out of the guy.

Screenshot from the end of the fight:
mzWITP6.jpg

Kyoufu

I doubt it can beat what we just did with Expel, RK and Kyoufu, lol.

Minotaur fight, we all used our forbidden art, Expel got kicked and both Kyoufu and me broke most of our spells. RK was running around killing the fodder enemies so that we could continue using our remaining attacks, but got kicked near the end.

Kyoufu had 0 useful spells left, I had 2 golem uses and 2 bugged spells (it sometimes happens, first time for me). Kyoufu died, I sacrificed him used one golem, Minotaur was still alive. Used the second one and started rolling in the attack zone of the golem, so that Minotaur doesn't run away. I could easily get killed in one hit, but was lucky enough for the golem to kill the enemy. Finished the fight with 2 bugged (unusable) spells and a heal.

Sacrificed the hell out of the guy.

Screenshot from the end of the fight:
http://i.imgur.com/mzWITP6.jpg

Those fights were amazing. Slime was kicking our asses so it was time for dat DOUBLE SACRIFICE!

They really need to fix the spell bug though.

OmegaZero

From what I'm reading, going pure Holy just increases your life?
So holy is basically for people who can't read attack patterns and avoid attacks easily, or is there more to it then that?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, that boss fight story. That's the kind of hectic stuff I'm hoping for. I've been playing Ragnarok Odyssey - and there's never any of that during encounters. Bosses will one or two shot you if you miss-read their attacks, and all you end up doing is run around and attack their weak points. I want to scream in shock a little.

I also want to sacrifice people despite their pleas. I have a few people who are picking this up with me locally, so I hope it'll be as hectic as our times with Mario Kart 64's battle modes. :)

Kyoufu

From what I'm reading, going pure Holy just increases your life?
So holy is basically for people who can't read attack patterns and avoid attacks easily, or is there more to it then that?

Nope. Holy is mainly a supportive role. With the best survivability in the game they're invaluable in reviving and aiding teammates.

OmegaZero

Nope. Holy is mainly a supportive role. With the best survivability in the game they're invaluable in reviving and aiding teammates.

Ah, alright then.
There's magic that you can use to heal people in the game, I'm assuming?
And if there is, Chaos people can heal others more efficiently since they get magic buffs, right?

Kyoufu

Ah, alright then.
There's magic that you can use to heal people in the game, I'm assuming?
And if there is, Chaos people can heal others more efficiently since they get magic buffs, right?

Chaos only gets attack power. Holy gets healing power + defense so they are the better group healers.

Top Bottom