• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: MLB and Players' Union agree to use dugout signal for intentional walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd kill myself if I had to watch Pedro Baez pitch every other day. That shit should not be allowed.
I watched the Human Rain Delay start every fifth day for 6 years.

It's not that bad. It adds ten seconds more per pitch, max. And fucking with guys timing now would ruin a ton of careers.

bigkrev

Yeah, fuck this. How about you actually enforce the batters box rule if you want to speed up the game instead of fundamentally changing the game?

Azuran

Banned
It's not even that slow. On average there's more game impacting action than an NFL game (where there is only 12 minutes of actual game being played).

I know. I was mostly comparing it to basketball and hockey which tend to have non-stop action most of the time.

Football is a mess of a sport thought that needs some serious rule changes, but that's never going to happen so whatever.

Jerm411

Seriously. I can see the players union giving into this rather then that bullshit extra inning rule. I don't get it though it saves 10 seconds for something that sometimes happens. Just let it be.

If that extra innings rule ever makes it to MLB....I'll lose my goddamn mind...

Couleurs

The IBB change is fine, but it does nothing to truly address game length and seems like a weak attempt for MLB to say "HEY WE'RE TRYING". A minute saved every other game, whoopee!!!

1. Eliminate pitcher warmups when they come into the game. No other sport stops a game and allows a player to warm up on the playing field. This is what bullpens are for. Its not needed period. Of course it won't be put in place. More time for commercials.

2. Actually enforce the batter stepping out of the box rule. I love that they implemented it but umpires have started becoming too lazy with it.

3. Shorten the inning breaks even more. They implemented a inning break clock a few years ago but it needs to be shorter. College and Minor League games have shorter half innings. Of course, more time for commercials. So wont happen.

4. Pitch Clock. It actually had a real affect in AAA. Don't know how it works with players on base though.

Agreed on all of these. I'd also like to see limits on reliever use since pitching changes take fucking forever (whether it is mandating a minimum number of pitches or batters faced), but that is extremely unlikely. But god damn is it annoying to sit through 10 times late in every game.

If Octavio Dotel was still playing he'd be all for this rule!

s6ncu0J.gif

Also, obligatory:

SJwYIvQ.gif

Yes, I'm aware Posey was thrown at soon after. :( SF still won that series though!

This only saves like 15-30 seconds a game at best. Intentional walks aren't a major part of the game these days. You see what, 40-50 max over the course of a season for a given team?

I HATED intentionally walking people for this very reason. Your motion completely changes and you're liable to throw the ball like complete shit lol

Still, it's the randomness associated with the intentional walk that breeds the potential for everything to go haywire.

I HATED intentionally walking people for this very reason. Your motion completely changes and you're liable to throw the ball like complete shit lol

Still, it's the randomness associated with the intentional walk that breeds the potential for everything to go haywire.
Yeah man I'm a submarine pitcher, suddenly having to throw overhand fucked with me so bad I HATED it lol, never was able to do it consistently which sucked since I was a reliever.

DopeToast

Banned
Stupid change that won't have any noticeable positive effect, and in those rare, interesting cases, a negative effect.

If the MLB really cared about the length of the game, which they don't, they would remove or shorten the unnecessary commercials between the half-innings. That adds more time than anything.

So if they aren't willing to tackle the actual culprit of the super long games, then don't fuck with the game itself just to make it seem like you're trying to fix it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Agreed on all of these. I'd also like to see limits on reliever use since pitching changes take fucking forever (whether it is mandating a minimum number of pitches or batters faced), but that is extremely unlikely. But god damn is it annoying to sit through 10 times late in every game.

Stuff like the IBB change is fine, but it does nothing to address game length. A minute saved every other game, whoopee!!!
nah, i dont like changing things like reliver usage. That would fundamentally change the game. you could always lower the amount of pitchers on a active roster to fix that. Anyway things like no warm ups, less mound visits, pitch clocks etc.. would cut down a lot of time and not change the game.

zulux21

Yeah saw that one, but they're all from the last couple years still, it happens enough to not completely remove it.

yeah. I mean a mistake with an intentional walk happens like once a month at most. not super common but well worth keeping in the game.

nah, i dont like changing things like reliver usage. That would fundamentally change the game. you could always lower the amount of pitchers on a active roster to fix that. Anyway things like no warm ups, less mound visits, pitch clocks etc.. would cut down a lot of time and not change the game.

depends on when you are talking about no warm ups.

it's very common that mounds in the bullpen (especially visitors side) are different from the game mound.
beyond that it's not that uncommon for someone's motion to dig down into the mound some.

nor is it uncommon to see someone during their warm up pitches stop and play with the mound a bit to get it more to their liking.

if you don't allow warm up pitches in general then the first couple pitches any pitcher throws will have a good chance of being far more erratic as they need to figure out the differences of the mound compared to the other one they were just using. A lot of people use such focused mechanics that even small changes can have a big effect. Thus for players that need to put the mound a certain way during warm up such a thing could be a big change.

plus a lot of baseball players are very superstitious and have set routines on how to do everything.

You know, yeah, you're right. I never did throw the ball away, but it was one of my least favorite things to do as well. It feels a little awkward and the fear of looking like a damn fool is certainly there.

Jerm411

You know, yeah, you're right. I never did throw the ball away, but it was one of my least things to do as well. It feels a little awkward and the fear of looking like a damn fool is certainly there.

I think fans get the impression that it's easy and no pressure is involved....complete opposite. Hell I remember having to give an intentional walk and if the game was close/late or if their were runners on I'd get nervous as hell....and this was in high school lol.

Windu

They better enforce the batter stepping out rule this season. After like the first month it was implemented, batters started getting away with their nomar shit way too much.
No need for this. I get the pitch timer and such but shaving 1 maybe 2 minutes off a game is pointless.
Its probably about 30 seconds at most.

30 seconds saved every 3 games!

But you can still take 1+ min every inning to watch replay and decide if you want to challenge a play.

They better enforce the batter stepping out rule this season. After like the first month it was implemented, batters started getting away with their nomar shit way too much.

Its probably about 30 seconds at most.

30 sec every 2.3 games

I watched the Human Rain Delay start every fifth day for 6 years.

It's not that bad. It adds ten seconds more per pitch, max. And fucking with guys timing now would ruin a ton of careers.

That's one player extending the game by more than 15 extra minutes per start. That's awful.

And it's less the total time than that it fucks up the flow of the game with that much dead time between pitches. If there was a scheduled 15-minute break during the 7th inning stretch no one would give a shit. Spreading it out over each pitch is worse.

This new rule is dumb though.

painey

I hate this. It was a big strategy in baseball, because you could fuck up the throw and allow runners to advance, or even lose your strike zone from throwing intentionally away.

I hope the pitchers are charged with 4 balls on their line instead of it just counting as W

I miss Bud Selig?

Manfred is doing nothing but things that alienate real baseball fans with rules that do nothing to bring in new ones. Nobody is going to give baseball more of a chance because of the 20 secs per game saved because of this.

i'm not a huge baseball fan but why does MLB keep looking for ways to change the game? they are never going to top the NFL for popularity in the US so what is the point? I love that baseball is baseball and I don't think they should be changing shit like this

i'm not a huge baseball fan but why does MLB keep looking for ways to change the game? they are never going to top the NFL for popularity in the US so what is the point? I love that baseball is baseball and I don't think they should be changing shit like this

The people that work for MLB don't actually like baseball.

Apt101

I hit a double in minor league ball (only season I played, I found it boring) when they wanted to intentionally walk me so they could get to the guy after me, who struck out like 90% of the time. My best fried was the pitcher, too. Lol. The look of betrayal on his face when I stood on second smiling at him was priceless.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I hit a double in minor league ball (only season I played, I found it boring) when they wanted to intentionally walk me so they could get to the guy after me, who struck out like 90% of the time. My best fried was the pitcher, too. Lol. The look of betrayal on his face when I stood on second smiling at him was priceless.

Oh shit, someone else with minor league experience. Frozen, you're not alone!!

Windu

@jjcooper said:
Not counting pitching change commercials, the in-game commercials of a national televised game equal 46.75 minutes.
@jjcooper said:
Between inning TV commercials equal 41 minutes of a local (non-national) TV broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom