• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: MLB and Players' Union agree to use dugout signal for intentional walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit, someone else with minor league experience. Frozen, you're not alone!!

Gonna start our own team! With blackjack, and hookers!

CXSZMlP.gif

McBryBry

Good move. Sure, there's a chance the pitcher could screw up. But I don't think something should be kept because "Well, they could mess up!!!"

Make it a play call. Save the time.

prag16

Banned
Against.

This saves one damn minute ever 2.6 games? So worth it. Not.

Just the chance of any shenanigans makes it worth keeping around.

Likewise Bartolo's home run last year is why the NL should never ever adopt the DH.

Futureman

Next thing you know it's just going to be robots playing baseball.

Can you swing at any intentional walk? You just can't step over the plate?

Stupid.

You know what else takes time? Pitching. They should just stand a pitching machine on the mound and have it huck four balls at the same time at the batter. If he hits one, it gets played. If not, he sits the fuck down. Game over in 30 minutes.

devilhawk

Only really two things that they need to look at. Both at the latter end of the game and both have to deal with flow just as much as time.

1. Fix the endless mound visit and pitching changes in an inning. Hey, Francona, I actually don't need to see 16 mound visits and 8 relievers in the 8th inning of a May baseball game, let alone an October one.

2. Heaven forbid a fast guy gets on first base in the late innings. The game all but stops at that point.

Stupid rule change. It's like Trump cutting funding for the arts to "trim the budget."
Not to mention the possibility for shenanigans to happen during the four throws.

If they want to cut down on game time, enforce a hard and fast pitch clock, and don't let batters get out of the box, redo their gloves, pat down their pants, fold an origami crane and whatever other bullshit they want to do for 5 minutes between pitches.

Seems like a silly change. They want to save time yet that doesn't do it. Pitcher should still make the throws even if anything hardly never happens.

If they want to save time then deal with shorter warm up and quicker transitions on switching sides.

The pitcher is still making throws in his warm up, they can get use to half of those and just doing their pitches to batters instead.

Can't believe they agreed to this change. Intentional walks gone wrong was actually some of the best moments in Baseball. Something so simple yet the possibility of disaster is right there on the surface.

Honestly, this saves so little time that I'm not happy with this change. I'd rather leave it in so we can see the rare but amazing wild pitch.

Whompa02

Good. It rarely ever happens that a batter takes a stab at an intentional walk pitch so this only helps anyway.

I haven't heard a single rational explanation for why this should have stayed from the people who don't agree.

Can't believe they agreed to this change. Intentional walks gone wrong was actually some of the best moments in Baseball. Something so simple yet the possibility of disaster is right there on the surface.

by and large this rarely ever EVER happens.

I haven't heard a single rational explanation for why this should have stayed from the people who don't agree.

by and large this rarely ever EVER happens.

Have you read this thread, or just the OP and the last couple of posts?
Since, there are many examples of what you're asking for in this thread already.

Seems sacrilege. Given plays can be fucked up, the traditional walk should be there.

Maybe make the pitching team think about it at least. Either do a traditional intentional walk or if they want to skip it, they can do it, but the runner gets a double.

But I'd prefer that the process be kept as is.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So what happens if during an at-bat they decide to intentional walk someone? Does this new rule apply just to the start of an at-bat?

If it can happen at anytime, that means we lose these sorts of shenanigans as well:

JSOyJpu.gif

Two batters later the Giants would go on to take the lead in that game anyway. LOL HOUSTON

Gotta save that extra 30 seconds!

sigh. Fuck this rule. Less entertaining (no more embarrising the pitcher with boos etc.. or watching a wild pitch game ender on a IBB or a HR on a IBB attempt. ) and this does not do anything for the pace of play.

Mentioned this in the mlb thread, might as well bring it up here.

1. Eliminate pitcher warmups when they come into the game. No other sport stops a game and allows a player to warm up on the playing field. This is what bullpens are for. Its not needed period. Of course it won't be put in place. More time for commercials.

2. Actually enforce the batter stepping out of the box rule. I love that they implemented it but umpires have started becoming too lazy with it.

3. Shorten the inning breaks even more. They implemented a inning break clock a few years ago but it needs to be shorter. College and Minor League games have shorter half innings. Of course, more time for commercials. So wont happen.

4. Pitch Clock. It actually had a real affect in AAA. Don't know how it works with players on base though.

Whatever, 30 seconds saved every few games!....

Sigh. Fuck Manfred.

I like all of these. Stuff I've seen floated as well:

-- Reduce number of back-to-back pitcher changes. Watching Joe Girardi manage late in games was TORTURE because the guy was always swapping pitching match ups

-- Reduce number of pick off attempts. Sometimes a pitcher will throw to first 5+ times just to give the relief guy more warm up time.

For me the biggest reason I don't watch baseball is 1. time, 3 hours is still a lot when there are 162 games 2. the number of games. I think MLB could help viewership a lot if it reduced the overall number of games, but I know some people hate this idea. Hell, I enjoy hockey and even find the 82 games to be a bit much and they're not even playing 5 times a week like in baseball.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So what happens if during an at-bat they decide to intentional walk someone? Does this new rule apply just to the start of an at-bat?

If it can happen at anytime, that means we lose these sorts of shenanigans as well:

http://i.imgur.com/JSOyJpu.gif[/img ]

[spoiler]Two batters later the Giants would go on to take the lead in that game anyway. LOL HOUSTON[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I'm assuming once the signal goes up, the batter walks to first. Regardless of the pitch count.

It's literally twenty seconds at most they are saving by this

Maybe condense commercial breaks between innings and make them more concentrated but that would take ad money away so that's a no.

I just don't think there is all that big an issue with game length to begin with. Football games are just as long and have even MORE downtime than a baseball game and nobody complains there.

16 games a season vs 162. Big difference.

shira

No.

I grew up with the DH hitter. Stop trying to ruined baseball for people who aren't old.

Why don't they just make 9 designated hitters and 9 designated fielders like football? You have offense and defense.
Injuries reduced. Better hitting. Better fielding. Players careers extended.

ReAxion

I hate this. This solves nothing and removes possible outcomes from the game.

We'll save more time not singing god bless america before the 7th inning stretch.

Like many have said, it's not saving a ton of time honestly. Still, I'm OK with this as intentional walks are (nearly always) boring anyway.

Marvie_3

Banned
Only really two things that they need to look at. Both at the latter end of the game and both have to deal with flow just as much as time.

1. Fix the endless mound visit and pitching changes in an inning. Hey, Francona, I actually don't need to see 16 mound visits and 8 relievers in the 8th inning of a May baseball game, let alone an October one.

2. Heaven forbid a fast guy gets on first base in the late innings. The game all but stops at that point.
Thiiiiiiiiiis. Games would actually speed up if we didnt have to sit through a pitching change after every batter. Make them pitch at least an inning/3 batters.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This is so dumb. Stop screwing up baseball.

This is screwing up baseball? This?

I don't remotely understand the negative reactions to this. First, this isn't the only thing they're doing to speed up the game. It's one of many things they're going to be changing over the next few years.

They're also looking at mound visits and other aspects of the game.

Second, yes, it's hilarious when it goes wrong. But it's so damn rare, I don't see how it matters.

It's dumb because it's like cutting funding for the arts in an attempt to trim down the federal budget. It's not going to save any appreciable time, so ultimately it's a change just to have a change, to make it look like they're doing something.

Everyone knows what takes the most time, but for some reason those are the things they don't want to address.

This is screwing up baseball? This?

I don't remotely understand the negative reactions to this. First, this isn't the only thing they're doing to speed up the game. It's one of many things they're going to be changing over the next few years.

They're also looking at mound visits and other aspects of the game.

Second, yes, it's hilarious when it goes wrong. But it's so damn rare, I don't see how it matters.

You don't "fix" baseball by tampering with the actual game on the field. Want to speed it up? Cut down on time wasting mound visits and the batters walking out of the batter's box after every pitch,not something that actually affects the field of play.

Pitch outs rarely happen anyway. Maybe once every 10-15 games per team. This does nothing except favors the pitchers by making them throw less and removing the possibility of mistakes.

Kettch

I've got an idea, when a player hits a home run they don't run the bases, they just step on home plate! Think of all the time saved!

Hazmat

Thiiiiiiiiiis. Games would actually speed up if we didnt have to sit through a pitching change after every batter. Make them pitch at least an inning/3 batters.

This would massively change the game, and honestly even suggesting it shows that you aren't a baseball fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom