• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Creators backing off Trump.. "Satire has become reality"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega

Banned
So do you think the "Hillary is behind Troll Trace" plotline was created after she lost? Because it is fact that the episode they'd originally made, their entire plot for the season, revolved around her winning. This is a thing we know and they joked about.

Because, if not, then literally the only part I'm making any assumptions on is Garrison coming back to counter balance Hillary.

No, it is not fact. Nobody knows what they planned to do. I would even say that the season was leading up into Member Berries being behind everything, including troll trace, and manipulating everyone. There were hints of something more sinister coming, "the REAL Stormtroopers", before it was dropped. Likely the resurrection of Hitler and a Nazi Zombie army. The scene with Hillary behind Troll Trace was shoehorned in at the last minute and felt detached.

South-Park-3-stick-of-truth-zombies.jpg

Shit, they even ended the ACTUAL season with Troll Trace being defeated and the internet being reset by reactivating the Skankhunt troll network and overloading the system!

That was definitely part of the rewrite, a last minute effort to wrap up some of the loose threads and put the entire mess behind them. It was a reset button on a botched season.

The Adder

Banned
Wow. Go back and watch episode "Fort Collins". There is literally nothing to suggest Hillary was supposed to be behind Troll Trace. Quite the opposite in fact.

Did you just not watch "Oh Jeez" or are you assuming that the twist that she was in league with Troll Trace was created after Hillary lost? Because if that's what you're thinking, I can't help you.

Why do you think Bill started the Gentlemen's club (and don't tell me that wasn't in the original episode). What was he afraid of?

To the above, that "Real Stormtroopers" line was from Members Only, which was AFTER Hillary lost.

How the hell is this Clinton satire? Has anyone ever claimed Hillary to be a vengeful person? Where the hell do you even get megalomania from the storyline? You're completely pulling out of your ass.

I'm sorry, what? Google "Clinton murders" if you want your answer on vengeful. Google any Hillary Clinton SNL skit from the last 25 years if you want your megalomania angle. Shit, Google literally any Hillary Clinton satire. That's literally her thing. Were you not alive in the 90s for all the "Hillary is secretly the real President" jokes. What the fuck is wrong with you people that you have to rewrite history to defend this show!?

Mega

Banned
The idea that it was going to lead to her being "THE REAL VILLAIN AFTER ALL" is complete unfounded conjecture on your part. TrollTrace was about Doxxing and open information on the internet being a bad thing, and linking Hillary in as part of a liberal overreach on that is, again, nowhere close to what they were doing w/ Trump.

Agreed. It was almost certainly pointing strongly to Member Berries as the real villain with a bigger hidden objective.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Did you just not watch "Oh Jeez" or are you assuming that the twist that she was in league with Troll Trace was created after Hillary lost? Because if that's what you're thinking, I can't help you.

Why do you think Bill started the Gentlemen's club (and don't tell me that wasn't in the original episode). What was he afraid of?

Hillary selling out Gerald doesn't make her "behind Troll Trace".

There's plenty to satire on the far-right political spectrum playing out in front of us, and the hypocrisy of Republicans (hating Obama but using his "ban" as an excuse, calling Liberals snowflakes who need safe spaces, but have shown to constantly require real safe spaces, etc). I agree making fun of Trump himself may not be as effective, especially since Garrison already took his role. But there is no excuse to not continue to parody the insanity of events right now.

Lothar

Banned
You can't imagine a season long arc of him being reunited with a daughter he didn't know he had, falling in love with her despite his relationship with Putin, and their love triangle ultimately culminating in the scene I described?

Maybe I should write for South Park.

Hmm. I can't imagine Garrrison being in a love with a woman, even his daughter. What if we used Mr Slave instead?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The only reason why I can think of why it wasnt that active was because of all the Gaf members who got there feeling hurt over the PC Principal thing from the season before.

I really dislike the large season long plot structure, hence why I dropped it.

Sunster

Hmm. I can't imagine Garrrison being in a love with a woman, even his daughter. What if we used Mr Slave instead?

this is why they should have picked someone who is more like trump to play trump. an actual trump character like they did with hillary

Dishwalla

Banned
There's plenty to satire on the far-right political spectrum playing out in front of us, and the hypocrisy of Republicans (hating Obama but using his "ban" as an excuse, calling Liberals snowflakes who need safe spaces, but have shown to constantly require real safe spaces, etc). I agree making fun of Trump himself may not be as effective, especially since Garrison already took his role. But there is no excuse to not continue to parody the insanity of events right now.

By the time they actually start working on the new season in August or September the events of right now will be very old news, if not forgotten.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Does "in league with" enflame your passions less?

If "in league with" means Hillary decided to sell Gerald out so Troll Trace didn't release her secrets, sure. That happened anyway. You yourself recognize the plot line after the election was a mess, why would you insist the plot was supposed to stay with Hillary being "in league" with troll trace or backstabbing Gerald. All we know is that the end of the last episode had Hillary's aides saying that Gerald was the only one that would be able to help her against Troll Trace and that she herself had no idea who Skankhunt42 was at the time.

By the time they actually start working on the new season in August or September the events of right now will be very old news, if not forgotten.

There will always be crazy things happening with this administration. I just don't see any excuse for them to not touch it at all.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You realize we're talking about the people who came up with the thesis that all elections come down to Three Sandwich vs Giant Douche, right?

The people who assert that Atheism will just become religion once religion is gone.

The ones that affirm that the only people who talk about actions they take to preserve the environment are just doing so to sniff their own farts.

They don't firmly commit to sides, they firmly and consistently commit to being against extremes. Which is fine. But don't try to pretend it's anything else.

Satire, hyperbole, and comedy, how does it work?

WHILE ALSO SHITTING ON HILLARY TOO.
So what?

There was a lot to shit on her for, even from the perspective of someone who intended to vote for her. So they threw in a few jokes at her expense (and kept her mostly out of the show). Those jokes do not somehow invalidate the greater shitting that they did on Trump and on the populism that he engendered.
The South Park OT wasn't very active this last season while they mercilessly made fun of Trump. It's hilarious how many people are coming in here now putting Trey and Matt through a purity test while making ignorant accusations about the season they didn't watch.
Yup.
By not being realistic, considering this is a cartoon.
How much further detached from reality can you go from the fictional platform of "I'm suggesting we round them all up, pull down their pants and fuck them until their spirits leave their bodies."
There will always be crazy things happening with this administration. I just don't see any excuse for them to not touch it at all.
Like I said on the last page, I think that there's actually a compelling argument to not treat Trump as a joke anymore. There's nothing to laugh at. The man is a threat. We're not going to shame or reveal any deeper political truths via satire when we're dealing with Nazis. So maybe it's just time to treat Trump's administration like the real threat that it is to modernity.

dyergram

First half of the last season was near flawless for me. I love Matt and Trey. Right now making fun of trump is hacky as hell cant imagine how sick of trump jokes we will be by the time a new season comes arround.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
You can't imagine a season long arc of him being reunited with a daughter he didn't know he had, falling in love with her despite his relationship with Putin, and their love triangle ultimately culminating in the scene I described?

Maybe I should write for South Park.

That takes away all the other characters. It is about a little town. Having a season long arc of that shit is pointless and will lose a lot of fans. I been watching the show forever and if they did a season long arc of that shit I would stop.

this is why they should have picked someone who is more like trump to play trump. an actual trump character like they did with hillary

They used Garrison because they didn't want to give him the time of day. That was the quote from August or July.

With his run for president on a platform of keeping those “dirty” Canadians out of America, the character of Mr. Garrison has basically become the show’s Trump stand-in, so the pair said they expect they will continue to use him as a vehicle to comment on Trump’s campaign. They decided to do that in the first place because they “didn’t really want to service Trump as a character,” according to Parker. As Stone added, “We were like, fuck him, we don’t want to give him the satisfaction.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...y-the-giant-douche-and-the-turd-sandwich.html

I'm sorry, what? Google "Clinton murders" if you want your answer on vengeful. Google any Hillary Clinton SNL skit from the last 25 years if you want your megalomania angle. Shit, Google literally any Hillary Clinton satire. That's literally her thing. Were you not alive in the 90s for all the "Hillary is secretly the real President" jokes. What the fuck is wrong with you people that you have to rewrite history to defend this show!?

... You're serious right now? You're trying to link Hill's SP contribution to the stupid murder conspiracy theories? Conspiracy theories don't work as satire material other than being the target of the satire. You're reaching so incredibly to make any connection I swear you're just trying for a gold medal for mental gymnastics. Seriously, CLINTON MURDERS is what you're going for? THAT'S what you think the show is trying to say about her?!

And I said megalomania doesn't come out at all throughout the season or even your fantasy plot story you created. There's been absolutely zero nods towards it. It's a wholly made-up line of commentary you've crafted out of complete fucking nothing. You're just tossing out words that could be construed as Clinton material and saying the show was going to do that despite it not at all being present in the episodes.

Blueingreen

Because if you aint 100% against Trump and dont attack him any chance you get, you are pro Trump.

neogaf25rugz.gif

You know I've lurked on allot of far right conservative sites and one thing I've noticed is the "us and them" mentality "you're either with us or against us" it's either black or its white.

I thought that was the difference between liberals and conservatives, nope after looking at the first page I stand corrected.

Kenstar

You know I've lurked on allot of far right conservative sites and one thing I've noticed is the "us and them" mentality "you're either with us or against us" it's either black or its white.

I thought that was the difference between liberals and conservatives, nope after looking at the first page I stand corrected.

no see you're not allowed to compare US to THEM in any way, that's called 'both sides are the same'-ing

kirblar

The biggest difference (imo) is the size of the far black/white flanks.

caliph95

Seriously hasn't everybody said what needs to be said while i enjoy the drama the arguments have basically become circular.

I thought last season was fine, and despite the toxicity in the thread I see "member berry" stuff quoted on both sides of the forum.

If you can't laugh at yourself, then maybe stop laughing at other people.

nkarafo

That's good IMO. Maybe now they will get back to the old formula of episodes with the boys everyday shananigans instead of recent US events parody episodes.

This doesn't clear anything up.

Yeah but what actually happened lol

It's a reaction thread.

That doesn't explain anything.

What's the best place to rewatch press briefings?

Spicer responding post Flynn's resignation, in particular the cartoonish attempt at a misdirect to softball Skype calls with nobodies like the Federalist Papers. There's a link to the full press event in the first post of the linked thread.

That's good IMO. Maybe now they will get back to the old formula of episodes with the boys everyday shananigans instead of recent US events parody episodes.
Not only that, but even with their fast turn-arounds, the references were often still really dated. Maybe it could help to just back away from it all for a bit and produce something with a little more thought and universal relevance.

Buckle

If they don't want to do politics thats fine but this administration is a goldmine for comedy as we've seen.

I could watch a whole season thats just President Garrison. Hope they change their mind.

Dynasty

If they don't want to do politics thats fine but this administration is a goldmine for comedy as we've seen.

I could watch a whole season thats just President Garrison. Hope they change their mind.

They will still do politics but wont dedicate every episode to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom