• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park RPG (Obsidian/THQ, 360/PS3/PC) Details [Update: Seems To Be 2D]

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Sounds like a love letter to old 2D RPGs but with great modern twists. I'm not surprised it'll probably take a fucking Southpark RPG to really be able to get quirky and fresh with the base mechanics. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

This sounds really really awesome. Alpha Protocol was brilliant, as was New Vegas - I haven't disliked an Obsidian game yet - so I'm pretty excited.

Durante

Most of this sounds great, except for that "Oblivion is his favorite RPG" part. I'm happy a PC version was confirmed, I was a bit worried when it was listed only for PS3 and 360 initially.

Boss Man

I love when they include real-life objects in the cartoon. I want this:

south_park_1205.JPG

as a summon.

My anticipation for this game is off the charts already. I think it's going to be a groundbreakingly refreshing GOTY contender.

Rich!

sounds awesome

paper mario-esque battles sounds incredible. always wanted a good south park game (fuck acclaim's shit), and this sounds like trey and matt are really involved in making it great.

Proven

Paper Mario style is a perfect fit for South Park. I was just thinking of replaying the earlier Paper Mario games too. This is on my wishlist.

Blizz

Neo Member
Sounds nice, hopefully it won't be a flop. I remember Matt and Trey saying how great the southpark FPS was back in the day and how great it sucked.

JimiNutz

Banned
Im not an RPG gamer but I do love me some South Park and I really like what im hearing about this.
Hope it turns out well :)

Received my GameInformer magazine here are the details, hopes it has not already be posted:

-
There is a Final Fantasy Materia like system in the game to augment weapons with various abilities like fire, poison, and electricity

-
There is a Summon System but they are not able to talk about it.

conan1.gif

Suddenly Im interested.

Ok ok, I take back what I said in the original. This really sounds well thought out.

That info is awesome!

Dresden

Not exactly what I wanted out of Obsidian, but I'm warming up to the idea.

Parker is wrong about silent protagonists.

There are a few screenshot of combat, the editor mentions that encounters are like classic Final Fantasy that are presented from a side view. With every combat screenshot there is only the player and one other party member(Cartman, Kyle, or Butters), fight 2-5 enemies(Girls, Gingers, Hippies, Fantasy style, and Goth) at a time.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiet.

If they nail this, it could become fucking amazing!

It would be hilarious if they outdo SE in the RPG department.

Everything so far is loaded with potential.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I was skeptical originally, but this has tons of promise. Plus there's only one Obsidian game I wouldn't call excellent and it's not DS3.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Silent protagonists are great. That just means one less character spending ridiculous amounts of time expressing whatever cheesy emotional speech the writer conjured up after watching some Saturday morning anime. In the case of this game the silent character will just be some sort of conduit, I don't need to know how NoName Norman feels about shit.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I could never get used to the camera angles in DSIII.. it was actually the reason I stopped playing the game more so than anything else.. the fucking camera angle bugged me.

Hopefully they can work that out better.

Khezu

Turn based and like PM? Fantastic!

All the other details sound great too, really want to see it in motion, or even just some screens.

In matt and trey I trust.

I could never get used to the camera angles in DSIII.. it was actually the reason I stopped playing the game more so than anything else.. the fucking camera angle bugged me.

Hopefully they can work that out better.

I can't see this game giving the player any control of the camera.
What's wrong with DS3's one?

DMczaf

Have Matt and Trey ever talked about Acclaim's South Park games?

Also, they still owe me (or I guess my mom) $70 for that South Park FPS game.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I can't see this game giving the player any control of the camera.
What's wrong with DS3's one?

I don't want control of it, but I just didn't like the angle that the DSIII one was at.. it just had an odd feel to it, and I couldn't quite see what I wanted. It did have 2 choices of angle I believe (could be wrong, been a few months) but I remember both having negatives.

Xater

This does sound cool indeed. Obsidian still worries me though, but from what I understand Dungeon Siege 3 was not as broken as their other games.

duckroll

Onyx is Obsidian's new internal engine and development tool set. They started developing this a long time ago, originally for the Aliens RPG. Even though that game was cancelled, they completed Onyx for use for all their future games (unless they're required to use another development environment by the publisher).

Dungeon Siege 3 is simply the first shipped game from Obsidian that uses Onyx, but it is not an engine that was created specifically for DS3.

Parker has completed every Zelda game.
Small detail that I thought I had in my original post but I notice was missing.

Have Matt and Trey ever talked about Acclaim's South Park games?

Also, they still owe me (or I guess my mom) $70 for that South Park FPS game.

In the interview Parker said "The other games, we just kind of found a company and were like, "Go ahead and make a game." Whatever it was, we just weren't super involved." and in the next question he says "when the show first came out, there were video games that we weren't super proud of and we were always like "Well, if we ever got the chance to spend the time and do it right and do it big, this is sort of what this is all about."

Sober

Parker has completed every Zelda game.
Small detail that I thought I had in my original post but I notice was missing.

In the interview Parker said "The other games, we just kind of found a company and were like, "Go ahead and make a game." Whatever it was, we just weren't super involved." and in the next question he says "when the show first came out, there were video games that we weren't super proud of and we were always like "Well, if we ever got the chance to spend the time and do it right and do it big, this is sort of what this is all about."
Now I'm very curious how everyone got tied into this. Did they court THQ or Obsidian to make a game? Or did they pick THQ and somehow Obsidian got the deal to do a South Park RPG?

Now I'm very curious how everyone got tied into this. Did they court THQ or Obsidian to make a game? Or did they pick THQ and somehow Obsidian got the deal to do a South Park RPG?

In the article the author writes "After years of shopping the idea around to developers and publishers, they finally found a good match with Obsidian...", and then writes "After THQ signed on as the publisher...". So it sounds like they talked to Obsidian first and then Stone and Parker with Obsidian talked too THQ.

Labadal

Onyx is Obsidian's new internal engine and development tool set. They started developing this a long time ago, originally for the Aliens RPG. Even though that game was cancelled, they completed Onyx for use for all their future games (unless they're required to use another development environment by the publisher).

Dungeon Siege 3 is simply the first shipped game from Obsidian that uses Onyx, but it is not an engine that was created specifically for DS3.

Yep, I know. Still hoping for a 2D turn based Fallout game using Onyx Engine.

Top Bottom