• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park RPG (Obsidian/THQ, 360/PS3/PC) Details [Update: Seems To Be 2D]

Scapegoat

Story

-
Eric Cartman will greet your character and help you decide your class, which are ... and a fifth unconventional class made up by Cartman.
THE
COON
!

Really excited, I wonder if this is the same game they teased on the SouthParkStudios site which looked more like a 2D Beat em up.

And what about that Who Wants To Be A Millionaire South Park? Was that just a goof?

Unless it's like Metroid, I don't understand how you can travel on a 2d plane.

Won't it take forever to go from the beginning of the map till the end?
Anyone care to explain?

An Old-School RPG based on South Park, with Paper Mario influences, and developed by Obsidian? This get's better and better.

e1W0L.gif

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This game seems to have fixed my 2 biggest complaints with western RPGs - the combat (having Paper Mario style combat sounds good and a perfect fit for this game) and the setting... I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high but this game seriously has potential.

duckroll

Unless it's like Metroid, I don't understand how you can travel on a 2d plane.

Won't it take forever to go from the beginning of the map till the end?
Anyone care to explain?

Wut. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. Just because the presentation is in sidescrolling view doesn't mean the entire world is connected that way. Ever played Zelda 2? Or Valkyrie Profile games?

Anth0ny

Aww I wanted Good Times With Weapons style =(

But this still sounds pretty cool. I'm a fan of South Park, and Paper Mario, and silent protagonists.

Derrick01

Banned
So with all the old stuff, will they find a way to put Chef in, or is it impossible now?

I don't think so. Isaac Hayes is dead and he left the show on bad terms so unless they use old lines and arrange it like they did in his last episode I don't think they even can use him.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't think so. Isaac Hayes is dead and he left the show on bad terms so unless they use old lines and arrange it like they did in his last episode I don't think they even can use him.

The original voice of the female characters is long dead. Anything is possible.

Derrick01

Banned
Whao, WTF, how did I miss this.

Probably because he was already a couple years removed from the show when he died. He had stroke issues and one of them eventually took him in 2008

On topic of the game though, I got my GI today and was reading through it and I remain a little more hopeful on the game. I really truly despise turn based combat nowadays though but I'm hopeful that matt and trey can make enough jokes and funny/cool abilities to sort of get me to forget how boring turn based combat is.

Just make a Yakuza style Karaoke-machine minigame with "Protect My Balls" inside the City Wok store.

There is seriously so much potential with this. The proposed "Jew" class as the 5th class would be amazing but I doubt that stuff would fly or even if Matt and Trey have the balls to do that.

Although they do in the show so why not. I dare not say what interesting perks could be added to that class. :lol

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Most of the details sound really good. I love that it plays like PM/M&L and is in 2D. My only worry is Obsidian, a lot of their titles are heavy on technical issues.

If they polish the game enough and work out technical issues, it could be amazing.

Derrick01

Banned
Most of the details sound really good. I love that it plays like PM/M&L and is in 2D. My only worry is Obsidian, a lot of their titles are heavy on technical issues.

If they polish the game enough and work out technical issues, it could be amazing.

This game doesn't sound too ambitious from a world design perspective so I wouldn't expect a ton of bugs like with New Vegas. But then again schedule comes into play too, kotor 2 and alpha protocol are buggy and kind of a mess because of publisher pressure to get the game out. If THQ works with them (and stays alive long enough :p) I don't expect a bug filled release.

this is the entitlement generation of videogames. Where we expect games to be revealed 3-4 years early and for them to give us constant updates every month! :D

And every game needs to have a five to thirteen year development time!

This may actually be a South Park-based game that I buy.

V_Arnold

Gameinfomer.com has a video interview with the CEO of Obsidian talking about the game.

Gameinformer Interview

I am in love with this game already.

Old habits die hard: this, I already knew. But still, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City was huge first steps, but this industry NEEDS to have something like the current project "South Park: The Game".

All the crazy things that they are going for is a creative heaven for the creators and the players as well. And these are risks that cannot be taken if it were not for the South Park name. I really hope that the immediate backlash of "oh, a South Park game, lol" will diminish more and more over time, because this project really feels like something amazing in the making.

I am very happy now - and I hope that Obsidian still makes that Wheel of Time RPG somewhere in the lab - they seem to be the right people to do that more and more.

Also...the game is with their own engine. Onyx is a godlike engine, I have to say. It deserves the praise. Free from Bethesda's decade-old flaws.

Vamphuntr

This is starting to feel more and more a must have for me.

The South Park lore has so much potential. It needs to have Mecha Streisand in it as a uber boss battle. I also hope that the Church of Scientology are one of the bad guys in the game

Hopefully they won't have to tone it down too much because of the ESRB.

Derrick01

Banned
Hopefully they won't have to tone it down too much because of the ESRB.

Someone from Obsidian brought that up in the GI article and their plan to deal them is basically "they're allowed to put it on TV!!!".

I'm not sure how well that's going to go or how many fucks the ESRB gives.

Oh god it sounds even better than I hoped. And the fact that Parker and Stone approached them means that they want a South Park game made by Obsidian, it's not just a cash-in.

royalan

I am in love with this game already.

Old habits die hard: this, I already knew. But still, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City was huge first steps, but this industry NEEDS to have something like the current project "South Park: The Game".

All the crazy things that they are going for is a creative heaven for the creators and the players as well. And these are risks that cannot be taken if it were not for the South Park name. I really hope that the immediate backlash of "oh, a South Park game, lol" will diminish more and more over time, because this project really feels like something amazing in the making.

I am very happy now - and I hope that Obsidian still makes that Wheel of Time RPG somewhere in the lab - they seem to be the right people to do that more and more.

Also...the game is with their own engine. Onyx is a godlike engine, I have to say. It deserves the praise. Free from Bethesda's decade-old flaws.

Agree with everything, easpecially the bolded. What I love most about that interview was how genuinely excited he seemed about tackling the challenges of making an authentic South Park game.

Also did anyone notice what appeared to be a screenshot in the middle of the video? The side-view of the random kid with the bow and quiver I mean. Hard to tell for sure though given the anecdote about Matt walking up to the screen and getting excited that you can even make out the construction paper.

Top Bottom