• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Southwest Airlines to stop overbooking flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/texas/ar...s-to-end-practice-of-overbooking-11103883.php

Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said Thursday that the airline had been thinking about ending overbooking for "a long time" because of fewer and fewer no-shows. But the issue gained more urgency after the United incident, he said.

Beth Harbin, a Southwest spokeswoman, said Thursday that with better forecasting tools and a new reservations system coming online next month the airline will no longer have a need to overbook flights.

Politicians in Washington and elsewhere have called for a ban on overselling flights. Some critics have said airlines should leave a few seats empty if they think they will be needed by crew members.

JetBlue is currently the only major U.S. airline with a stated policy that bans overbooking. United said Thursday that it plans to reduce overbooking but not eliminate it entirely.

Dallas-based Southwest did not put a time frame on the policy change. And Kelly noted that Southwest may still need to bump people if, for instance, the airline substitutes a smaller plane for the one originally scheduled, which happens occasionally.

Kelly was asked on an earnings conference call if the move could impact Southwest's results. He said ending overbooking would have a minor impact on revenue but gave no figures.

Chief Financial Officer Tammy Romo said doing away with overbooking would reduce costs — airlines compensate passengers for giving up their seats — which would offset some of the revenue hit.

Pagusas

Elden Member
bump people if, for instance, the airline substitutes a smaller plane for the one originally scheduled

I thought Southwest's only used 737-700's? They have smaller/larger planes in their fleet?

Luschient

Dallas-based Southwest...
Chief Financial Officer Tammy Romo
200.gif

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I travel all.the.time for work, and after the first year of trying different airlines, I determined SW is the best option for regular fliers. Been trying to fly them exclusively for about four years now.

-Two bags on the flight - no charge
-Two checked bags - no charge
-No black-out dates for points
-Guaranteed first-choice seating (A List) after, like, 8 flights
-Points accumulate quickly and can be used affordably

... plus, the greatest airline perk there is - the Companion Pass: I haven't bought a second ticket for my wife in a couple years now... if I buy a ticket (often with points), I get her ticket free.

I just booked a flight with Southwest the other day for a trip this fall. Insanely well priced compared to every other airline. Seems like they do a pretty good job.

____

I travel all.the.time for work, and after the first year of trying different airlines, I determined SW is the best option for regular fliers. Been trying to fly them exclusively for about four years now.

... plus, the greatest airline perk there is - the Companion Pass: I haven't bought a second ticket for my wife in a couple years now... if I buy a ticket (often with points), I get her ticket free.

I flew with Southwest for the first time last week. They had the lowest price and the 2 free bags was a fucking Godsend.

Southwest is a delight to fly.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This sounds well and good but will most likely end up raising prices for Economy class tickets. Overbooking isn't necessarily bad, it was United's response of the situation that was shitty.

SmokeMaxX

Yeah this sounds like only a plus in name only. Will this end up raising prices for people who do actually show up? That's the question.

Ultryx

so good news guys anytime we want to turn an industry around someone just needs to get their face beaten in on camera

I only have experience with Delta and Southwest, both of which have been very pleasant. Especially my international trip with Delta. That was fun.

Jenov

SW is still one of the few airlines that doesn't charge a baggage fee. In fact, most of their fees are lower than their competitors overall. Good for them.

darscot

This seems very shortsighted and not a good solution. This just means higher cost and more empty seats. Actually it's really dumb.

Syriel

And no ability whatsoever to pick out a seat in advance.

I don't want to have to rush to stand in line just to guarantee a decent set of seats.

linkboy

We flew my 6yr old son from San Diego to Denver by himself on Southwest and everything went great.

They're my choice of airlines. Never had an issue with them.

joelseph

No assigned seats though..

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm surprised overbooking was even a thing in the first place.

It works really well w hotels but I can't imagine as many people not showing up to their flights as they do hotels.

In hotels I've worked at we'd have an average of like 10 no shows per day. That's a hell of a way to make extra money.

Is overbooking even worth it? Like what, is the risk of not having 5 or 6 empty seats losing that much more money? The financial risk of not overbooking seems so negligible.

Grym

Except you can't reserve a seat which sucks and blows.

yeah this is my only gripe with them...and I wouldn't really care....BUT you can get split up from your kids which is really shitty. Other than that, I love Southwest. But I have kids. So while I like them, I can't love them :)

Flo_Evans

Everyone gets super nervous because there is never enough bin space because everyone can bring all this shit with them.

Yeah last flight they made me gate check $10,000 worth of camera gear cause everyone had already thrown their shit in the overheads.

Ridli

How bad is an early B group boarding? I'm flying them this weekend lol.

Depends on how much luggage you fly with, and how many people are flying.if you are one person with a backpack it's fine. If you've got your so and some kids it's a bit less fun since youll likely be split among middle seats.

Hari Seldon

Depends on how much luggage you fly with, and how many people are flying.if you are one person with a backpack it's fine. If you've got your so and some kids it's a bit less fun since youll likely be split among middle seats.

Yeah I have young kids but no overhead bags, but we can't be split more than 2/2, they are too young. I was hoping my wife could get both and I could chill tho lol.

How bad is an early B group boarding? I'm flying them this weekend lol.

Not terrible. A is 1-60. Also some families or unaccompanied minors will board before you as well. So roughly 70 people will be on before the B group starts. A is certainly where you want to be though.

Next time, make sure to check in exactly 24 hours before the flight. Before I started paying for business select, I would check in super early and get mid tier A seating. Like A-30-40.

Grym

Yeah I have young kids but no overhead bags, but we can't be split more than 2/2, they are too young. I was hoping my wife could get both and I could chill tho lol.

if either one is 6 years old or under get in line for Family Boarding right after the A group regardless of what your ticket says

Flo_Evans

How young? under six and you should be able to board right after A group.

An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom