• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines passenger dragged from plane at O'Hare reaches settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

There's 0 chance they settled this quickly for less than 10M$.

Dude just got a massive paycheck and doesn't have to work another day in his life.

Also that lawyer prob cleared a cool milly at the mimimum for like 2 days of work. Must be nice.

C-NOk0LVYAAmH63.jpg

at first i was like.... but then i was like

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
There's not enough money in the world to make getting my head slammed in worth it.

I can always find ways to make money, but my brain and mental health is irreplaceable.

Well, if he dies next year because of unseen complications from getting his face violated, then yes. No money is worth it.

But if he's able to completely change his life, live leisurely, and have security funds put away for his family without post traumatic stress disorder, then yeah. I don't think he'll feel so bad after his wounds heel.

OFF TOPIC - this is reminding me of a thread regarding how much would I accept to get punched in the face by Mike Tyson.

Correct answer - NO MONEY. Not worth it. Nope. I'm good, thanks.

Nah dude, who the hell wants to get their ass beat? Other than that one guy in the thread.

I mean, what happened to this man was nothing short of heinous. It was deplorable, and downright evil.

That said... they can do whatever they want to me for 7-8 figures.

Sapiens

Bueno.

I'm glad the initial effort to drag this guy through the mud for his past was summarily rejected by the public.

Jenov

Damn, United walked up to the table with their wallet open. That was very fast. I bet 1-5 million, but we may never know.

sirap

Well, if he dies next year because of unseen complications from getting his face violated, then yes. No money is worth it.

But if he's able to completely change his life, live leisurely, and have security funds put away for his family without post traumatic stress disorder, then yeah. I don't think he'll feel so bad after his wounds heel.

OFF TOPIC - this is reminding me of a thread regarding how much would I accept to get punched in the face by Mike Tyson.

Correct answer - NO MONEY. Not worth it. Nope. I'm good, thanks.

It's a gamble I'm just not willing to take. I had to deal with a lot of complications from head trauma after a pretty nasty accident. That concussion ruined a good chunk of my life and I still wouldn't say I've fully recovered from it.

I've also seen firsthand how devastating memory loss can be to the person suffering it. My heart breaks whenever I talk to my grandmother, who suffers from dementia. She's described what it feels like during her more lucid moments and man, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even my enemy.

FTF

Good for him, deserved.

Also, put me in the group that would have no problem going through what he did for like $10m.

Tain

rules that he got money

sucks that the factors that led to this won't really change over a few million bucks

Culex

Banned
It HAS TO BE in the millions. Not only was he injured but his reputation was ruined by the initial lies from the air line.

Guy had one of the best lawyers for this sort of thing in the country I'm pretty sure

That lawyer likely makes a commission of the settlement

As such I would have a hard time believing said lawyer would recommend their client settle for anything less than $10M as a drawn out court case with a jury would easily hit that kind of number settlement-wise while also incurring court fees, lawyer fees and continued bad publicity on Uniteds end

If I truly had to guess I'd say close to $20M for that settlement

I hope he goes after the news outlets that were jumping over themselves to dig up dirt on him in order to justify the incident.
Also I'm never flying United again.. They can get fucked.

Good for him, got paid that good hush money for sure. He should send some of that money to the people who recorded what happened, if not for them he wouldn't have gotten all that.

That's a good point. I wonder if United paid them for the rights to the video. With that, they could probably have it pulled from YouTube or whatever.

United had to settle. The combination of cellphone videos and the statements from the CEO right after the incident claiming Dao was belligerent and saying the employees did no wrong, they knew they were fucked if this went to a trial jury.

Trouble

Banned
United had to settle. The combination of cellphone videos and the statements from the CEO right after the incident claiming Dao was belligerent and saying the employees did no wrong, they knew they were fucked if this went to a trial jury.

Going to trial and winning would be an even worse PR disaster.

United vows to reduce overbooking, will offer up to $10,000 to bumped passengers

That vow is just for show, it wouldn't have prevented what happened on the plane in this incident. Because what the vow is doing is raising the max amount offered from $1350 to $10,000, but in this case, they didn't offer the max amount - they only offered $800 before forcing the issue.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'd get my ass beat for like 200k while screaming "Break my face in was the kindest touch you ever gave. Cremate me as you cum on my lips, United. Honey Boy, place my ashes in a vase beneath your workout bench."

It has to be an 8 figure sum. When the law firm defending their client "applauds" the accused for doing whats right, you know they got what they wanted.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm sure he got at least $1 million. And that's conservative.

I'd get my ass beat and dragged off of a plane for $1 million. People get their ass beat for free. Hell, some people get their ass beat and their money taken.

UFO

Banned
Deserves 8 figures for what he went through.

Do he doesn't. Theres not one person here that wouldn't sign up to go through that for $1 million+. That's ridiculous money, thats retirement money. He deserved $25-50K, and for United to pay a $10- 15million fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom