• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Launch: NROL 76 - It’s a secret!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

fVHKJiX.png

SpaceX's Falcon 9 is scheduled to launch in a window between 07:00 and 09:00 EST (11:00 and 13:00 UTC) today. This is the fifth launch of Falcon 9 in 2017, and the 33rd launch of Falcon 9.

What is the mission?

Falcon 9 v1.2 will launch from Kennedy Space Center pad LC-39A to launch NROL76, containing a classified payload for the National Reconnaissance office.

Classified? National Reconnaissance Office? What's all this?

The National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) forms part of the United States Intelligence Community and is an agency of the US Department of Defence. This department form, manage and maintain the US spy satellite network. This launch represents the first contracted SpaceX mission for the NRO. Details of this payload is classified information - most of SpaceX themselves don't know what it is! Read more about the NRO HERE

This is another first, isn't it?

It is! SpaceX actually had to sue the US government to be able to compete for NROL launches - these launches were previously the domain of another private launch service, and SpaceX competitor, the United Launch Alliance (ULA). You can see a few of these previous launches by the ULA here: NROL-37 (Delta IV Heavy) and NROL-61 (Atlas V).

What does this mean for the launch coverage?

As per normal NROL launches (shown in the clips above), the NRO requests that coverage of the Launch vehicle is terminated soon after first stage separation. This is to ensure as much secrecy as to the target location of the payload orbit. Where in previous ULA launches the webcast has stopped (due to the rockets being expendable... yuk), for this mission we will see the separation of the first stage and then ride along with the first stage for it's landing attempt!

Landing attempt? Where?

This mission's first stage, B1032, will be attempting a landing on land at Landing Zone 1 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Where can I watch the launch?

Due to the nature of the launch, there will be only one SpaceX Webcast stream for NROL-76, and you can find it HERE!

EDIT: SCRUB for today (Sunday 30th) due to a first stage turbo sensor issue. Backup window is same time window on Monday.

EDIT 2: Successful launch and landing of the first stage. No news yet of successful payload deployment (if there is news at all...)

EDIT 3: Elon confirms: Total Mission Success!

Koshiro

Finally I catch one of these live, and it's a secret one that has to cut coverage. Oh well, I'll stick around for the landing. Here's hoping.

Par Score

Finally I catch one of these live, and it's a secret one that has to cut coverage. Oh well, I'll stick around for the landing. Here's hoping.

The only coverage you're missing is watching the second stage booster firing a few times and the satellite being deployed.

It's cool, and it's obviously the most important part of the mission, but it's not the exciting stuff.

Koshiro

The only coverage you're missing is watching the second stage booster firing a few times and the satellite being deployed.

It's cool, and it's obviously the most important part of the mission, but it's not the exciting stuff.
Looks like I'm missing a lot more than that now... Dang.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Watching this stuff makes me so damn giddy. I remember watching the last journey of the Space Shuttle live a few years ago and it gave me shivers. It's so awesome.

T-Minus 4 minutes!

Razorback

Man those globalists can even fake footage of the earth being round live? Good attempt but ya can't fool me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom