• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speaking of Super Mario 64, how does the game hold up after 18 years?

hoserx

It's still fantastic, one of the timeless games for the n64. Many of them are unplayable these days..... but Mario 64 and a few others (including Doom 64) have stood the test of time.

bomma_man

The levels are barren and open and as a result the camera kinda sucks but the controls (with a non chalky 64 stick) are unparalleled. I prefer all the games since galaxy overall but it's still a landmark.

Lijik

Whomp's Fortress has like three missions (King Thwomp, the tower and red coins) with actual platforming lmao...

Thats why I picked it, its an early easy stage but it absolutely schools BK in challenging the player through jumps.
Most of Banjo's platforming is outrageously simplistic and its level design is guilty of the exact things he's criticizing mario 64 of. The moving platforms in whomps fortress are more complex than any platforming you have to do in Banjo, let alone stages like Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock Clock

3bdelilah

Banned
Super Mario 64 is my second favourite game of all-time (after Ocarina of Time), but I have to admit something......... I haven't played the original in probably over 10 years (not counting the DS version, which has some uncomfortable controls in my opinion). I've been looking at second-hand N64's (long story short, my little brother sold ours some years ago) to finally replay one of my childhood favourites. I have OOT covered, I have like four different versions across the NGC Collector's Edition, WW's bonus disc, 3DS etc. Still hoping for an HD Mario 64 remake on Wii U though, in the same style as Super Mario Galaxy 2's
Throwback Galaxy

bomma_man

To be fair no one's really improved on the camera because everyone's just given up and gone fixed.

And, although I love Banjo, Mario 64's objectively better. Banjo has better atmosphere but there is close to zero platforming and the physics are no where near as interesting. Mario 64 is the actual Citizen Kane of 3D game design.

Wii U port please

MysteryM

Love it. SM64 will remain my greatest single player game of all time. If Nintendo announced a SM64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1 & 2 HD remake on one disk for the wii u that would be the ultimate gaming collection of all time.

It was mindblowing the first time I played it, it was probably the last time a video game has felt like a true revolution in gameplay and technology. But after I blew through the game in about a week and got all 120 stars, I was ready to play 2D Mario again. I haven't been able to play the game for more than a couple hours ever since, no matter how many times I start up a new file.

BasilZero

Graphics may be outdated and "ugly" by today's standards, but the game physics and gameplay still hold very well. Played it again like 2 years ago for my nth replay of the game and it still is one of the best 3D platformers imo.

Still looks fantastic - playing it again for the 5th time right now.

a.wd

a complete classic, graphically seems terrible but it is ooooooold, but once you get past that it is pure gaming bliss.

Best example of how to launch a system ever, and all system launches have been cast as wanting since then.

andymcc

Banned
Thats why I picked it, its an early easy stage but it absolutely schools BK in challenging the player through jumps.
Most of Banjo's platforming is outrageously simplistic and its level design is guilty of the exact things he's criticizing mario 64 of. The moving platforms in whomps fortress are more complex than any platforming you have to do in Banjo, let alone stages like Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock Clock

It's been years since I've played BK (I think the art and level design are hideous, like in most Rare games), but that's really funny because all I can really remember about BK is the terrible item hunts.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it has aged very well, a lot of the level design isn't very good and the objectives are really repetitive and boring.

The controls are the one thing it has going for it, I'd like to see the next 3D Mario game feel like 64, but with better/more modern everything else.

Portman

Every time I see people praise this I realize that I still need to play it. Already have a busy month but I need to set aside a day or two of the holiday and play through this and some other Nintendo games that I've missed out on.

It seems like it will be okay to me but I can't fairly speak of how it plays since I only remember a demo and playing at a friends house.

NewGame

Banned
It's a fantastic wonderfully executed platformer that has little to no comparison even after all these years.

How many 3D platformers that you've played in the last 18 years feature

- Wall jumps
- Triple jumps
- Back/side flips

None of them.

If you know of any please post them I will gladly eat crow.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I repeat: Nintendo should make a "Super Mario 3D All-Stars" game with the remakes of 64, Sunshine and HD versions of Galaxy 1 and 2, and add 3D Land HD and 3D World.

Agreed. It would be a good way to honor the 20th Anniversary of SM64 and would be a good asset to spilt up on the eshop for future systems.

Hermii

It's a fantastic wonderfully executed platformer that has little to no comparison even after all these years.

How many 3D platformers that you've played in the last 18 years feature

- Wall jumps
- Triple jumps
- Back/side flips

None of them.

If you know of any please post them I will gladly eat crow.

Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2?

Compared to other n64 games? Holds up extremely well. But it wasn't as enjoyable to go back to after I've played sunshine, galaxy series and 3D World.

Still an amazing game though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They should do a direct sequel and call it super mario 64-2. Final fantasy up in here

Or super Mario 65

Shion

Unsurprisingly, there are moments when the level design shows its age a bit.

But the feel of controls and the freedom of movement are still unparalleled imo.

And? Still doesn't change anything, it still feel like a early 3d game
Please go back and play 3D games prior to SM64. It was a quantum leap ahead of the competition, and holds up about a million times better regardless of poly count or texture quality. Also, having amazing mechanics that feel more tactile than most games today doesn't mean anything? I'll bet you don't feel anything when you watch black and white movie either, because good storytelling doesn't change the fact that it's not in color.

Heroman

Banned
Please go back and play 3D games prior to SM64. It was a quantum leap ahead of the competition, and holds up about a million times better regardless of poly count or texture quality. Also, having amazing mechanics that feel more tactile than most games today doesn't mean anything? I'll bet you don't feel anything when you watch black and white movie either, because good storytelling doesn't change the fact that it's not in color.
Most Early 3d game s don't age well and Mario 64 is no different. How Mario controls and what he is doing in a level is terrible. And I got no problems with black and white movie.

maxcriden

It's still a great game, but I'm not a fan of the open level design. The focused, more linear style of the Galaxy and 3D Land/World games.

This is pretty much how I feel. I also feel like controlling the camera is cumbersome. I tried the DS remake on 3DS with the circle pad as I'd heard good things about the control scheme, but I found it painfully slow and awkward to control, especially having to hold down a run button in a game that wasn't originally designed around this. I'd be glad to play the Wii VC iteration. I couldn't really get back into it with a GCN controller but I think I'd prefer it with the Classic Controller. I think the game could really use an HD remaster. To me, it's unquestionably a far superior game to Super Mario Sunshine, which I think could use a more thorough remake. I think I personally strongly prefer the more linear 3D Mario games, though, as those feel more like a 3D version of my beloved 2D iterations. Anyway, it's a very good and memorable game, and I have many fond memories of playing it. I just would like for a definitve current iteration to be made. In the meantime SM64 on Wii VC is probably the best version IMO.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played it since the 90s, and as much I loved it, I can't do that clock tower again. Coupled with the camera controls, it's hell on Earth.

Choomp

Banned
While it may look like shit, I say the rest of the game would still be great to a kid playing it for the first time today, or anyone else.

JC Lately

I remember playing a few levels when it first came out. Hated everything about it. Graphics were shit, levels were boring and repetitive, camera was balls.

Last years I bought it on the VC, figuring that now that i was older I could appreciate more. Nope, still hate it. I'll never understand the hype for this game.

Mario was dead to me between World and Galaxy, save for the various RPG installments.

cacildo

Haven't played it since the 90s, and as much I loved it, I can't do that clock tower again. Coupled with the camera controls, it's hell on Earth.

Im stuck on clock tower (i think its not called clock tower) on the Wii VC version

"I cant do that clock tower again" i feel the same way. Yet, when i was 14, i could

Farmboy

In terms of mechanics, controls and level design it hasn't really aged at all. It's amazing how much Nintendo got right the first time, considering they were basically inventing a genre.

But yeah, N64 games in general have aged very poorly, graphics-wise. Super Mario 64 fares better than most, but a(nother) remake would be most welcome.

Lijik

You can make the clock stage a little easier by jumping into the clock when its at a certain time (6 oclock i think?). It freezes all of the moving platforms and stuff. I dont think its possible to do all of the stars that way, but it makes the ones you can easier.

-KRS-

You can make the clock stage a little easier by jumping into the clock when its at a certain time (6 oclock i think?). It freezes all of the moving platforms and stuff. I dont think its possible to do all of the stars that way, but it makes the ones you can easier.

Totally forgot about that. Another one of those genius ideas. I think you can also jump into the clock at another time and it'll speed up everything.

oni-link

I don't know why Mario 64 HD isn't on Wii U as a download, in 1080p at 60fps, along with a ton of other N64 games

For the N64 games that have aged badly because of frame rate more than controls, this would be perfect

Pila

I went back to the SM64DS with the 3DS and the circle pad pro makes it much better. Not as good as the original, in my opinion, but certainly better. I reckon the same goes for a lot of 3D DS games.

WAIT A MOMENT. Does the CPP work with DS games? Can I play 64DS with the stick?

What the shit, why I never knew this. Gonna replay the game ASAP.

EDIT: thanks Maxcriden for your reply... mmmh, I guess you can only go 8 directions even with the analog, the game is programmed that way.

Oh well, I'll buy it on the Wii U VC, right? Fucking Nintendo.

Top Bottom