• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speaking the Truth: Ted Turner Compares Fox News' Popularity to Hitler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doth Togo

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA499014.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP

Among the highlights:

On Fox News: While Fox may be the largest news network, it's not the best, Turner said. He followed up by pointing out that Adolph Hitler got the most votes when he was elected to run Germany prior to WWII. He said the network is the propaganda tool for the Bush Administration. "There's nothing wrong with that. It's certainly legal. But it does pose problems for our democracy. Particularly when the news is dumbed down," leaving voters without critical information on politics and world events and overloaded with fluff," he said.

On TV news in general: "We need to be very well informed. We need to know what's going on in the world. "a little less Hollywood news and a little more hard news would probably be good for our society."

On media consolidation:"The consolidation has made it almost impossible for an independent. It's virtually impossible to start a cable network." Broadcasters and programmers "don't want more independent voices out there. They own everything. That's why I went into the restaurant business. Either that or I'd work for a salary for one of the big jerks.

The war in Iraq: "We've spent 200 billion destroying Iraq. Now we've got to spend 200 billion to rebuild it, if they'll let us -- and all to find a nut in a fox hole -- one guy," Turner said. "He posed no threat to any of his neighbors, particularly with us there with overwhelming military superiority." --"it is obscene and stupid"

Why selling his company to Time Warner turned out to be a huge mistake: At the time he agreed to sell his company, "it was from a business standpoint the right thing to do." He owned 9 percent of the merged company, which "which got me some real serious respect." But after the company acquired AOL, Turner's stake in the new company was diluted to 3 percent. "Then I got the pink slip"

Why it wasn't that huge a mistake: "I have a responsibility not to be too critical of my old company. It is a good company and I had a lot of experiences there. A lot of time things that are painful at the time they occurred turn out to be for the best."

Ted Turner for President? "I'm too old and too burned out to take on that responsibility. I thought about it when I was younger. I don't know if I could have gotten elected or not. It would have been a lot of fun to do when I had higher energy levels."

What he'll put on his tombstone: "I have nothing more to say."

Tarazet

"There's nothing wrong with that. It's certainly legal. But it does pose problems for our democracy. Particularly when the news is dumbed down," leaving voters without critical information on politics and world events and overloaded with fluff," he said.

I'm going to ignore the thread topic for a second - hell, on second thought, I'm going to ignore it entirely, because it's been beaten to death a thousand times over - why, why, WHY do we so often see floating quotes in printed news articles? I can't tell what Ted said, and what he didn't, because the journalist fucked up and left a stray double-quote mark in there without a matched partner.

Inumaru

You do realize that Ted Turner is utterly insane? He's been slowly devolving into his batty, mad self for the last 20 years. He's widely mocked by both the liberal and conservative press, and has been the subject of some fantastic "Family Guy" send-ups.

This is the guy who said of the 9/11 hijackers, "I think they were brave at the very least." at an appearance at Brown University. He then asked for a show of hands of people who would volunteer as suicide bombers for their country, and got none.

Anyway, no one cares about Ted anymore. He's a washed up has-been, and one of the weirdest media personalities since Howard Hughes.

I'm sorry, while I'm quite happy for Ted Turner introducing me to the Atlanta Braves way back when in the early days of cable, I'm going to have to say he's gone a bit too far with that analogy.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Inumaru said:
You do realize that Ted Turner is utterly insane? He's been slowly devolving into his batty, mad self for the last 20 years. He's widely mocked by both the liberal and conservative press, and has been the subject of some fantastic "Family Guy" send-ups.

This is the guy who said of the 9/11 hijackers, "I think they were brave at the very least." at an appearance at Brown University. He then asked for a show of hands of people who would volunteer as suicide bombers for their country, and got none.

Anyway, no one cares about Ted anymore. He's a washed up has-been, and one of the weirdest media personalities since Howard Hughes.

Sounds pretty rational, at least from the article that's quoted. And what exactly is the big deal w/ calling the 9/11 hijackers brave? Didn't Bill Maher basically get his show cancelled on ABC over the same shit? I guess if we all assume these people are just stark raving fanatics with no semblance of their own well-being, then yeah, there's no real bravery about it. But still, it takes some kinda balls to blow yourself up like that.

The problem with a statement like that isn't so much that it's completely wrong--it's not like we have some sort of "Braveness Meter" to judge these things--but that it just steps all over the ingrained beliefs that 99% of people have: ALL terrorists are cowards by definition. Any time you go against the rules of discourse, you're either ridiculed or demonized.

Phoenix

Ted isn't insane, he's just a bitter man who has watched everything he believed in and helped build turn to shit before his very eyes and he's disappointed at the outcome. He's actually a VERY smart man and has some VERY well tought out ideas on the industry and the world. I don't agree with everything that he says, but I don't agree with everything ANYONE says :)

Inumaru

bob_arctor said:
Sounds pretty rational, at least from the article that's quoted. And what exactly is the big deal w/ calling the 9/11 hijackers brave? Didn't Bill Maher basically get his show cancelled on ABC over the same shit? I guess if we all assume these people are just stark raving fanatics with no semblance of their own well-being, then yeah, there's no real bravery about it. But still, it takes some kinda balls to blow yourself up like that.

You might enjoy The True Believer by Eric Hoffer. A great read that talks about fanatics and fanaticism in general, whether cults, Pentecostals, Muslim extremists, et al. and the power of mass thought over the weak-minded individual.

Point is, I'm not really sure just how brave these people are. They've been conditioned their entire lives to believe that the most exalted people in their culture, in the world, is the man or woman who takes his own life for his faith (ideally while also taking the lives of as many nonbelievers as possible). I think it's hard for most of us to accept the degree of conditioning (read:brainwashing) that these people have received by the time they're ready to blow themselves up. Hell, they think they're getting their own planet with hundreds of virgins for it. I don't consider being that brainwashed being "brave", personally.

impirius

sonarrat said:
I'm going to ignore the thread topic for a second - hell, on second thought, I'm going to ignore it entirely, because it's been beaten to death a thousand times over - why, why, WHY do we so often see floating quotes in printed news articles? I can't tell what Ted said, and what he didn't, because the journalist fucked up and left a stray double-quote mark in there without a matched partner.
Fo real yo!

I'm no fan of Fox News, but I dislike Ted Turner even more, so this quote is funny:
Fox wasn't laughing, however. "Ted is understandably bitter having lost his ratings, his network, and now his mind," said a Fox News spokesperson. "We wish him well."

Inumaru

Fox wasn't laughing, however. "Ted is understandably bitter having lost his ratings, his network, and now his mind," said a Fox News spokesperson. "We wish him well."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Now who else but Fox would ever actually say something like that on the air? I bet that line was handed down by Rupert Murdoch himself. Any idea who actually said it on the air?

ShadowRed

Banned
Inumaru said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Now who else but Fox would ever actually say something like that on the air? I bet that line was handed down by Rupert Murdoch himself. Any idea who actually said it on the air?

Dude learn to read, it wasn't said on air.

Socreges

Banned
On Fox News: While Fox may be the largest news network, it's not the best, Turner said. He followed up by pointing out that Adolph Hitler got the most votes when he was elected to run Germany prior to WWII. He said the network is the propaganda tool for the Bush Administration. "There's nothing wrong with that. It's certainly legal. But it does pose problems for our democracy. Particularly when the news is dumbed down," leaving voters without critical information on politics and world events and overloaded with fluff," he said.
Whoever said what, it's the truth.

Drensch

In every interview I've seen with Turner , he comes off as rational, intelligent, self-depricating and likeable.

Phoenix

Drensch said:
In every interview I've seen with Turner , he comes off as rational, intelligent, self-depricating and likeable.

I've actually met him and been in a meeting with him and he is exactly as you describe, and this was before his fall from grace and the AOL-TimeWarner merger that caused him to be booted out by yes-men who didn't want to hear him say "you guys are stupid, we're making incredible mistakes".

Eric-GCA

Banned
Drensch said:
tt.jpg

Come on, the guy married Jane Fonda, how sane can he still be?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
his analogy, while a bit extreme (like most analogies people make are), isn't too far from the truth. News agencies in America have become nothing more than forums for political parties' mouthpieces to spout off soundbites that match the latest party line. Hell, it's what John Stewart has been saying all this time, and that guy is practically worshipped.

Shinobi

bob_arctor said:

The problem with a statement like that isn't so much that it's completely wrong--it's not like we have some sort of "Braveness Meter" to judge these things--but that it just steps all over the ingrained beliefs that 99% of people have: ALL terrorists are cowards by definition. Any time you go against the rules of discourse, you're either ridiculed or demonized.

Bingo...yeah they might be brainwashed, but that doesn't make them cowards. Just evil and completely fucked up.

On media consolidation:"The consolidation has made it almost impossible for an independent. It's virtually impossible to start a cable network." Broadcasters and programmers "don't want more independent voices out there. They own everything. That's why I went into the restaurant business. Either that or I'd work for a salary for one of the big jerks.

The war in Iraq: "We've spent 200 billion destroying Iraq. Now we've got to spend 200 billion to rebuild it, if they'll let us -- and all to find a nut in a fox hole -- one guy," Turner said. "He posed no threat to any of his neighbors, particularly with us there with overwhelming military superiority." --"it is obscene and stupid"

You can't beat that logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom