• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spector: Epic Mickey 2 to co-op, voice acting, camera issues fixed, multiplatform

Nose Master

PR jibbrish; makes it sound like it will be pretty bad like the first, but it will also be super easy and include co-op.

Notice how he didn't mention he's fixing the kingdom hearts 1 esque platforming engine. Just the camera. Yeah, that's what was wrong with it.

Shiggy

I wont buy a wii version. At that point, it would never get played simply because I wouldn't be able to play the game while in bed.

Why exactly? Because your Wii is in a different room? You won't be able to play all Wii U games on the tablet only either.

guek

Banned
EM1 used the pointer, it was very easy to play in bed.

No, the problem is my tv is not in my bedroom :p

I'll probably miss the pointer controls but I'd rather play in bed

Why exactly? Because your Wii is in a different room? You won't be able to play all Wii U games on the tablet only either.

There's nothing available that suggests we wont have that option in most if not all games.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just lol, what's not to "get" about the game's mechanics that would make the amazing camera a piece of shit? Should just say they can do better and leave it at that. He probably feels like he has to defend the team's honor or something, but saying that he feels like the camera in the first game was incredible and misunderstood doesn't give me much hope that it will be any better in the sequel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just lol, what's not to "get" about the game's mechanics that would make the amazing camera a piece of shit? Should just say they can do better and leave it at that. He probably feels like he has to defend the team's honor or something, but saying that he feels like the camera in the first game was incredible and misunderstood doesn't give me much hope that it will be any better in the sequel.

So, as someone who didn't like the camera in Epic Mickey, I think what he's saying is that:
a) Freely controllable cameras in 3d platformers are tough to make.
b) They're especially tough to make on the Wii, where you have a little less to work with control-wise.
c) Because of the paint/thinner mechanic (like any "destructable terrain" mechanic), calculations for camera clipping / orientation stuff aren't as easy as they would be in a game with static geometry.

I'm not really sure that's much of a defence, if you release a product for full cost, you owe it to your customers to resolve issues that you have, but I think as an explanation, he's probably not wrong that the game's specific design made it more difficult than the average game.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So, as someone who didn't like the camera in Epic Mickey, I think what he's saying is that:
a) Freely controllable cameras in 3d platformers are tough to make.
b) They're especially tough to make on the Wii, where you have a little less to work with control-wise.
c) Because of the paint/thinner mechanic (like any "destructable terrain" mechanic), calculations for camera clipping / orientation stuff aren't as easy as they would be in a game with static geometry.

I'm not really sure that's much of a defence, if you release a product for full cost, you owe it to your customers to resolve issues that you have, but I think as an explanation, he's probably not wrong that the game's specific design made it more difficult than the average game.
Hmm, I reread that part and I misunderstood the "which people don't get" part as him implying that players don't understand the game's mechanics (which struck me as condescending), but what he's actually saying is that what people don't seem to get is how the mechanics in the game make this kind of camera more difficult to deal with. I can agree with that, like you said there's more at play within the paint mechanic than in a normal 3D game + Wii limitations. I still don't see how it's an amazing piece of work that people don't appreciate though. Being difficult to make doesn't excuse the end result from being bad, but in the end I have to accept that he can't just come out and say it was mostly a failure.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This game is going to lose so much money.

I don't know what made people think HD sequels to young-skewing Wii franchises were a lock for sales, but whoever it is needs to be fired from whatever position they hold.

Epic Mickey : Epic Mickey 2 :: DeBlob : DeBlob 2

No, the actual mistake is the HD sequels. You pour so much money down the drain for no good reason, when the primary audience for the game is on Wii.

There are now more PS3s and 360s in sort of "family hands," let's put it that way. So I think the time would be right to get the game on other platforms.

That's what Ubisoft thought with Just Dance 3 and THQ with uDraw/de Blob 2. I'm scared for Mickey...

Yeah like I said, the original platform was not the problem. Making the sequel on PS3/360 is the problem. Nobody (relatively) is going to buy those versions, and you balloon the budget from Wii-level to HD-level. This thing is going to bleed money.

Yep its a huge mistake.

Disney just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about American family values (I’m an expert), but family friendly image and a feeling of exclusivity are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in the Netherlands where people euthanize babies as a pass time. If you sell your product to more people in America, you lose the sense that your product is special, and the only way to get rid of that stigma is rebranding your entire product line.

What this means is the American family, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Epic Mickey 2, nor will they purchase any of Disney’s other games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Disney has alienated an entire market with this move.

Disney, publicly apologize and change this product to a Wii/Wii U/3DS exclusive or you can kiss your business goodbye.

guek

Banned

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about American family values (I’m an expert), but family friendly image and a feeling of exclusivity are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in the Netherlands where people euthanize babies as a pass time. If you sell your product to more people in America, you lose the sense that your product is special, and the only way to get rid of that stigma is rebranding your entire product line.

What this means is the American family, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Epic Mickey 2, nor will they purchase any of Disney’s other games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Disney has alienated an entire market with this move.

Disney, publicly apologize and change this product to a Wii/Wii U/3DS exclusive or you can kiss your business goodbye.

masterful

I honestly hope they built it from PS360 hardware rather than do it as a Wii up-port. All the better for the potential Wii U version.

I did find the first dull, at least since I'm stuck on Mickey Junk Mountain...

Full voice acting is extremely welcome! I wonder about the camera in the JP version of the first, how much better was it? Any comparison vids? I wonder if they'll get it in the Wii U (if) version, since maybe if Nintendo did it themselves, there'd have to be some... code legality issues? I dunno.

I really really really wanted to enjoy epic mickey but My Wii looks terrible on the TV i was playing it on and playing anything on the Wii seems to be more a exercise in patience than anything else.

However i did love the game, its gameplay and the universe and im really looking forward to Epic Mickey 2 but ill be buying the 360 version, Be awesome if they threw in a ps360 port of Epic Mickey into a Collectors edition just upscaled and using a controller but i doubt it would ever happen.

The Game looked awesome on dolphin

dolphin2010-11-1819-53e9s7.jpg

Thoraxes

Incredible :lol

LuchaShaq

Banned
Thought Epic Mickey 1 was one of the most overrated/over hyped games of this generation.

Can't think of anything that could possibly make me interested in a sequel even if amazon sent me a free copy on accident.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is Dr. Warren Spector a playable character and can I equip him with a Pith Helmet and a Combine?

If no, I'm probably not buying day one.

Voice Acting is also a bit of a mistake.

I love Spector, but I don't quite understand how the camera was "misunderstood" or "great camera work". It was a terribly bad camera in context of the gameplay and design, period. The game would have worked dramatically better with a more "fixed point first" style Galaxy uses.

SmithnCo

Yeah... I think he's mostly standing up for his team with that comment. Plus he seems like a generally positive guy.

On the note of getting me interested... Certain environments like Epcot would do it, if they are well done. Some of the ones in the first game left something to be desired.

Corto

There's a Barenaked Ladies cover of Grim Grinning Ghosts that sounds kinda vaguely like TMBG. Near enough?

HEHEHE I knew I was kind of random but my son is completely obsessed in two songs from the Mickey Mouse ClubHouse Show. The theme song and Hot Dog! and both are from TMBG! I'm a fan of TMBG and was really surprised to know they made those songs. As they already have a business relationship with Disney it would be wonderful to have them create an OST for this game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The camera was the least of its issues. Just finish it this time, no excuses, no misunderstandings, no outsourcing to people who don't get it, you know what the publisher expects, what went wrong, work within the possibilities allowed by the deadlines, to see what the studio can do and if we should keep caring...

fernoca

Hence "uDraw 2011". They also released the updated software on the Wii, and it tanked there too.

Though I remember they specifically mentioning the disappointing performance of the 360 and PS3 versions, didn't mentioned the Wii version of the sequel.

Well, at first at least.

"...initial sales of our uDraw tablet and software on these high-definition platforms have been weaker than expected..."

Don't know if they later updated and mentioned the Wii sequel along with those.

Not saying that that confirms HD sequels to Wii games bomb, since as you noted Just Dance 3 is doing fine on 360; not Wii-fine, but fine.

SykoTech

Yep. Sums up those posts earlier perfectly.

ajim

Will this follow the Epic Mickey storyline? Or is it separate? Becuase I didn't finish the original, and have no intention to, but would love to play this.

LevityNYC

Banned
Epic Mickey needed another 6-12 months in the oven. Felt rushed....boring...pointless...love the idea of the game though.

SmithnCo

Warren Spector will be on GTTV next Thrusday according to Geoff Keighley. Maybe we'll get the first trailer.

Sounds like a teaser. Maybe a location reveal if we're lucky.

Will this follow the Epic Mickey storyline? Or is it separate? Becuase I didn't finish the original, and have no intention to, but would love to play this.

Probably? Mickey and Oswald are working together. But the original's story isn't deep or anything.

But Ubisoft did well with Just Dance 3 on 360--not as well as on Wii, but well... and the Wii version didn't take a hit versus Just Dance 2. de Blob 2 and uDraw 2011 both tanked on all platforms. So I'm not really sure what the comparison is here.
1. De Blob 2 and uDraw were just going to tank one way or another; plus, they were mostly 'kid' oriented than family oriented

2. Just Dance 3 definitely did good on Kinect; however: 1. porting Just Dance to 360 nearly doesn't require as much as work as porting a fully 3D game from Wii to an HD console 2. Just Dance and kinect are natural matches, and I believe it was almost solely due to Kinect that it did as good as it did, and I do not see EM2 utilizing Kinect in a meaningful way

---
Though, I still believe the game should be ported to HD consoles because it most probably has had a turn of demographic target and also that there's a lot of people on HD consoles who would pay to play a million seller sequel from Disney and Warren Spector from a most famous franchise (I mean, how much did Skylanders sell?!)

I love it!

Personally, I really don't understand why developers 3D of platformers still try to mimick Mario 64 when it comes to camera controls. Wouldn't a TPS-style third person camera which is locked behind the player and can be moved around as needed be so much more hassle-free and easier to implement? Programming all those camera angles (that never fully work as intended anyway) has to be a huge pain in the neck.

Another problem with EM was the sometimes really convoluted level layouts which made it even more difficult figuring out where you were and where you needed to go. If they want to keep the emphasis on platforming, A shift towards Super Mario Galaxy-style level design would help immensely.

Yeah, EM1 was probably rushed out of the door. It's a shame because some of the locations (such as the haunted mansion) are plain awesome but overall, the entire experience had too much niggling issues to allow the game to achieve greatness.

LOCK

The game needs to be more 2012 rather than 1998.

Epic Mickey needed another 6-12 months in the oven. Felt rushed....boring...pointless...love the idea of the game though.

You guys have found the problems that I felt was evident in the first game.

Thank god they have the first game as a foundation. All I ask for is a Wii U version with common sense use of the pad.

ReaperXL7

Yeah like I said, the original platform was not the problem. Making the sequel on PS3/360 is the problem. Nobody (relatively) is going to buy those versions, and you balloon the budget from Wii-level to HD-level. This thing is going to bleed money.

I don't think it will do as badly as you think it will. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most people wether they want to admit it or not, love Mickey Mouse. I really don't see the game doing poorly for any other reason that it turning out really bad.

AwShucks

... I thought the characters speaking in some Disney mumbling was one of the more charming parts of EM1 really. They should have just gone all the way with that. It didn't work because it was like one sound effect for each line.
Not sure Im ready to hear Mickey talk the whole game. Hope Warren realizes the reason why there hasn't been a Mickey feature film is because he's like Mario- that voice gets grating over long periods of time.

Everything else sounds promising

Completely disagree. I love Disney voices and the game would have appealed to me so much more if it had VO. I still haven't finished it, think I got like 6 hours in

El-Suave

Did the first game even do well internationally? I don't remember it making much of a splash in Europe, and I think that wasn't just a problem of the platform it was on.

JJD

Please let the other character be Donald Duck

One of the best Genesis Co-op games
563331_45473_front.jpg

I was thinking the same thing!!! This game was amazing, I would gladly pay a lot of money for something like it for the current gen machines.

... I thought the characters speaking in some Disney mumbling was one of the more charming parts of EM1 really. They should have just gone all the way with that. It didn't work because it was like one sound effect for each line.
Not sure Im ready to hear Mickey talk the whole game. Hope Warren realizes the reason why there hasn't been a Mickey feature film is because he's like Mario- that voice gets grating over long periods of time.

Everything else sounds promising

First post nails it. Yeah, you can tell they were clearly trying to go for a Zelda approach, but they just couldn't pull it off quite right. The one line I remember Gus most for is that "UR-HUR"

I wonder though, if they're going to keep the Mario/Zelda influence and keep Mickey mostly quiet (although I think he was a little lacking in responses) and everyone ELSE talks with full dialog.

I honestly can't wait to hear full Oswald dialog (I assume they'll keep Frank Welker)

Rad-

Did the first game even do well internationally? I don't remember it making much of a splash in Europe, and I think that wasn't just a problem of the platform it was on.

I don't know how it sold here but it had a crazy big marketing campaign. Probably the biggest I have seen for a Wii title.

Hope Warren realizes the reason why there hasn't been a Mickey feature film is because he's like Mario- that voice gets grating over long periods of time.

This is actually completely false. For years, Disney's 50th Animated Feature was going to be "The Search for Mickey Mouse". Eisner cancelled it and said they'll never make a Mickey feature film is because "nobody would watch it."

So glad that fucking moron is out of there now.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That was the number one complaint we heard, but I will defend to the death the quality of the work my camera team did on that first game; there is a whole GDC talk about that sometime, too. The camera in the first game was an amazing piece of work that people don't appreciate. We took the hardest problem in gaming and then made it even harder through our game mechanics - which people don't get - but we know we could do better.

LOL-data.gif

Top Bottom