• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunner breaks Super Mario 64 120-Star WR, under 100 min

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/5/15558540/super-mario-64-speedrun-world-record-120-stars-cheese05

Super Mario 64's toughest speedrunning world record has been broken. Cheese05, a beloved member of the speedrunning community, managed to be the first in the world to collect all 120 stars in the game in under 100 minutes — a time that many previously thought was impossible.

Early this morning, May 5, Cheese played through the classic Nintendo 64 game live for a rapt Twitch audience. The world of Super Mario 64 speedrunning in particular is fiercely competitive, due to how much these playthroughs are based on memorization and extreme precision. This is especially true of the complete 120-star run, which may be the most difficult version of a Super Mario 64 speedrun to do. It requires that players collect every possible star in the game, and doing all of that in less than one hour, 40 minutes seemed unthinkable.

Congrats to cheese05! The record gets broken pretty often, but this is the first time it has gone under 1:40. I remember watching Siglemic's stream and him trying to get near 1:44, seems amazing that runners have found a way to cut another 4 minutes off since.

Update 1:
puncayshun has claimed the throne back by beating cheese's record by 8 seconds.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149204492

puncayshun has consistently been chasing Cheese for the WR and finally got it by 8 seconds, making him the second speed runner to break 100 min.... until:

Update 2:
Well, Cheese05 just reclaimed the 120 star world record. He beat 120 star in 1:39:28, about 21 seconds faster then Puncayshun.

Cheese reclaimed it only 24 hours later! Breaking his personal record by 29 seconds and puncayshun by 21 seconds!

Speevy

Banned
I wonder what Shigeru Miyamoto thinks when he sees people speedrun this game.

The sequence of movements flows so freely that you have to wonder if this level of play was intended when they released the game in 1996.

dmr87

One of the games that got me interested in the scene. Mario 64 is so good to watch at a high level.

Watch him and Puncayshun on Twitch, great runners and shows how amazing the movement in this game is.

Congratulations to Cheese05!

Ithil

What's the reasoning on the order of the stages? Like why do the first Bowser stage first, then Whomp's Fortress, etc.

Anth0ny

What's the reasoning on the order of the stages? Like why do the first Bowser stage first, then Whomp's Fortress, etc.

I think Bowser stage first because you have to do a difficult backwards long jump to get passed the door. If you fail the backwards long jump, you can just reset without losing any progress.

Skipping the door with backwards long jump saves 10 seconds I think.

Early on I think it has to do with amount of risk. They try to do the hardest worlds/worlds they could potentially mess up early on so they don't have to deal with them later in the runs. It saves time in the long run when you are training.

NewGame

Banned
Why didn't he just crash to the debug menu and set his stars to 120? I've seen people do this in like 15 seconds. These speedrunners are such casuals

I'm watching right now about half way through and it's crazy how many times he actually has small mess ups. There have been 10+ 3-5 second mistakes already and he still breaks the WR. Just goes to show how it is impossible to do perfect.

jb1234

I'm watching right now about half way through and it's crazy how many times he actually has small mess ups. There have been 10+ 3-5 second mistakes already and he still breaks the WR. Just goes to show how it is impossible to do perfect.

Yup. There's still another minute that could be shaved off for future runners but man, it'll take absolute perfect luck and skill.

uocooper

As someone who is currently playing Mario 64 for the first time since 1996, watching these speed runners is just unreal. I've been playing for about an hour or so a day for the past two weeks and just reached 70 stars. I can't imagine how much time these folks spend refining their skills. To say that I'm in awe doesn't even begin to describe how much respect I have for their abilities.

Nostalgia had certainly made me forget just how terrible the camera is in this game but even so, it's still one of the best games I've ever played in my life.

Velcro Fly

if you would have told me in 2013 watching someone like Siglemic run the game that a 1:39 was possible I would have laughed at you.

This is a true example of the old speedrunning adage that no record is unbeatable and no time is untouchable.

if you would have told me in 2013 watching someone like Siglemic run the game that a 1:39 was possible I would have laughed at you.

This is a true example of the old speedrunning adage that no record is unbeatable and no time is untouchable.

Supposedly the sum of his best individual levels is 1:37:40 too, so he has a lot of room to improve.

Zips

I'm not into speedrunning, aside from occasionally seeing others do it and being impressed by the insane amount of dedication and practice it must take, so I was a bit surprised at how emotional he got when he did it. I guess it can make sense given that dedication bearing fruit.

Showing his family, and them being so supportive was sweet.

BlueMagic

Was there a specific breakthrough in the route/strats that brought it under 100? I haven't been following since Siglemic's last WR.

Top Bottom