• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunner breaks Super Mario 64 120-Star WR, under 100 min

Was there a specific breakthrough in the route/strats that brought it under 100? I haven't been following since Siglemic's last WR.

I know that someone found a 100% effective trick to get the "breaking the wall" star at Whomp's Fortress that saves like 30 seconds and prevents a lot of resets. Other than that he probably has found optimizations in pathing within levels.

ive been slightly curious, how does that 'splits' time county thingie on these guys streams work? does it automatically detect when a checkpoint has been reached? does the streamer have to manually update it mid run? does a mod do it?

PsionBolt

ive been slightly curious, how does that 'splits' time county thingie on these guys streams work? does it automatically detect when a checkpoint has been reached? does the streamer have to manually update it mid run? does a mod do it?

Auto-split software exists and is used in a couple communities, but for the vast majority of games, the speedrunner splits manually. Some use a foot pedal, but many just whack their keyboard quickly. It's pretty common for runners to miss splitting or split very late, then catch it later and blank that split out for accuracy.

nynt9

All of those are possible. With games that run on PC you can have LiveSplit automatically detect split locations with games that support it. Otherwise you either do it yourself or have someone in the room do it for you.

MarveI

That's incredible. I could train 24/7 for years and years and I still wouldn't come even remotely close to any of these speedrunners. Cool that his family was supportive of him. If that was my family they'd tell me to do something useful with my life instead of wasting it on that.

Ithil

What's funny is even in this record breaking run he made loads of mistakes throughout so this record could still be improved.

Firemind

What's funny is even in this record breaking run he made loads of mistakes throughout so this record could still be improved.
yeah in the vod I see red splits until the final split wtflol

meanwhile clint stevens is still trying to 4:20 for forever kappa

yeah in the vod I see red splits until the final split wtflol

meanwhile clint stevens is still trying to 4:20 for forever kappa

I'm pretty sure in his previous WR run his one major mistake was in the last Bowser fight, I think he missed a toss or something.

Released

What's the reasoning on the order of the stages? Like why do the first Bowser stage first, then Whomp's Fortress, etc.

Because the only door that can be entered with 0 stars is Bobomb Battlefield, which has a couple of stars you can only get with the wing cap which can't be accessed early on. So if you go there first, you have to leave and revisit, costing a good chunk of time.

Anth0ny

yeah I just watched it and it was definitely a run that could be improved on. He pretty much just finally didn't choke on the BITS split, which allowed him to save about 30 seconds.

he made mistakes on some of the easiest stars in the game lol... I know the feeling. now that the sub 1:40 burden is FINALLY off his shoulders, I bet he'll get 1:39:30 pretty soon.

He's not a bad looking guy either, which goes against the gamer stereotype. I've never watched a speed run but this is amazing.

EDIT: I take it back, he's actually pretty hot. And gay too! I'll definitely start following this guy.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I think it's more of a science

You might be right. But there is definitely more to a speedrun than just how fast one can go. There are speedrun categories which are extremely fast but are no fun to watch.

Someone can beat Bloodborne Any% unpatched using glitches in like 20 minutes. But what is truly impressive is Bloodborne All Bosses% with latest patch, because thats where the blood, heart, soul, and tears comes into play. Look at all the Ocarina of Time categories for another example. Arbitrary categories, but people participate in them because it has a certain appeal for the viewer and/or runner.

Calm Mind

I haven't watched much but if he corrected a few mistakes he made early on in the basement, I'm sure he could get this down to sub 1:20:00 or better.

Drain You

Not a chance. The most recent TAS isn't even sub 1:20.

I completely agree with you. That being said from time to time I wonder how far down this rabbit hole this will go. 20 years from now will people still be speedrunning Mario 64? Will they have discovered some crazy new exploits? Regardless, love watching this game speedrun, and always love seeing a record beat.

neto

Wow that is amazing I stopped watching sm64 runs a long time ago. Is there a better way to see this side by side with siglemic's best record besides having 2 windows open? I would like to see how different the route is

Kevtones

I don't give af about esports but speedrunning is truly captivating. There's such prep, dexterity and focus involved.

Huge congrats to the new record holder. Such a great and supportive moment with his family. Great to see.

Porcile

Wow, thats awesome. The cheese stands alone.

Cheese comes across a good guy, glad he got it after coming crazy close a while back.

i have so many questions

why bowser first?
whats a BLJ?
all of this is unassisted right? all glitches are produced via hand commands?

puncayshun has claimed the throne back by beating cheese's record by 8 seconds.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149204492

Not surprising, cheese made plenty of small mistakes. Which itself is not surprising since it's such marathon of perfect movements that it's almost impossible not to make some in the 100mins. These runs are amazing.

i have so many questions

why bowser first?
whats a BLJ?
all of this is unassisted right? all glitches are produced via hand commands?

-saves time
-backwards long jump (glitch)
-yes. TAS (tool assisted speedruns) are a seperate category - I think the SM64 record for that is just over 80mins for 120 stars.

Not surprising, cheese made plenty of small mistakes. Which itself is not surprising since it's such marathon of perfect movements that it's almost impossible not to make some in the 100mins. These runs are amazing.

-saves time
-backwards long jump (glitch)
-yes. TAS (tool assisted speedruns) are a seperate category - I think the SM64 record for that is just over 80mins for 120 stars.

thanks. this is amazing stuff. the amount of control over mario shows just how mobile he was. im super impressed. OMG!!! i just saw him climb up bob-omb summit.

0mw1I8e.gif

Also how is he grabbing a star the moment it appears(like when breaking the box on princess' slide)

Mohasus

why bowser first?
Expanding on the "it saves time" response:

The only level you can play without stars is the Bob-omb Battlefield, however, you can't collect all the stars in it without the Wing Cap. Entering and exiting a stage twice loses time. By doing Bowser in the Dark World first, you can then go to Whomp's Fortress.

1:39:49.31

watched every second. ill never view this game the same.

NnGGHE0muVqpO.webp

Expanding on the "it saves time" response:

The only level you can play without stars is the Bob-omb Battlefield, however, you can't collect all the stars in it without the Wing Cap. Entering and exiting a stage twice loses time. By doing Bowser in the Dark World first, you can then go to Whomp's Fortress.

I didnt even think of that. Im still at awe at the precision in his control, all while i assume reading his stream chat and talking to people/answering questions.

Top Bottom