• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

Revven

OoT Challenge Race going to be streamed here in 20ish minutes.

Be there or be square!

Edit: 80 people so far confirmed to be in the race. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD.

Revven

Starting nowwww!!!

Also, yeh, I just felt like changing my avatar because Pokemon X & Y are coming in a month. :p

Edit: This challenge is... woooooow!

Edit 2:
ptPfXqI.jpg

This is really cool to see, Cosmo should do this kinda thing more often tbh.

Jokab

There have been a couple other ones like this in the past, they're always really fun to watch.

My favorite (which I can't find the picture for) was something like you must enter n (at least 3, at most 6 I think) warps, but only open n+3 chests. So if you chose to enter 3 warps you could only open 6 chests. Or something like that, plus some items were banned (not bottle IIRC so you could RBA). Made for some REALLY messed up routing.

Oh and there was another fun one: Defeat Meg (forest temple purple poe). Must wear Iron Boots + Broken Knife at all times in the Forest Temple. The deaths were hilarious, stream archive here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRIYk1A1qxY

Vizzeh

Banned
okay so I read what speed running is and you have to be blind to know it doesnt exist, but what is the point in the speed run, personal bests, competition amongst friends/online dudes?

Only time I have ever done it, is Resident evil 1 and that was to get the rocket launcher.. Personaly dont think I could enjoy a game just blindly running through it.

Jokab

okay so I read what speed running is and you have to be blind to know it doesnt exist, but what is the point in the speed run, personal bests, competition amongst friends/online dudes?

Only time I have ever done it, is Resident evil 1 and that was to get the rocket launcher.. Personaly dont think I could enjoy a game just blindly running through it.

The goal is to push the game to its limits, as well as yourself. How good can you get, how much can you push yourself to grab that world record or personal best? For popular games such as Ocarina of Time there are hundreds of runners - being the best of all of those is a great feeling. But even if you aren't the best it's about challenging yourself to always be better.

Others enjoy the prospect of breaking a game apart, being clever and finding the coolest glitches and sequence breaks. Speedrunning isn't about enjoying the game in the process; you've probably done that already in your first or several playthroughs.

Holden

Well, I personally speedrun games for a weird reason, i like playing a game that "stresses me out", i used to play 1v1 sc2 which can get extremely stressful at highish level (master league~) but i quit that game cause i think i got to my cap and the game just went into a direction i didn't like. I also enjoy dota2 which i play at a high level aswell but getting a good team that is dedicated to get better at dota2 is just hard to find. So instead i just chose to do speedruns, its hard, challenging, and I also get to play games that i played as a kid that i loved.

There is that special feel that when you break a game that you knew before that you didn't know you could break.

I personally like the idea of just doing glitches and the fact that doing the glitches are hard, that's why i chose rather hard games to speedrun (twilight princess, wind waker)

But my goal mainly is to get a WR, but even more somebody to beat that WR in order to get it back. Many speedrunners lose a lot of interest in the game once they get WR so they are usually very happy when somebody takes it back.

But some people speedrun for different reasons;

TUSR

Banned
I enjoy the high level of execution required to string together a non-segmented run and the community has a lot of great people in it that I can connect with on a different level.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Well, I personally speedrun games for a weird reason, i like playing a game that "stresses me out", i used to play 1v1 sc2 which can get extremely stressful at highish level (master league~) but i quit that game cause i think i got to my cap and the game just went into a direction i didn't like. I also enjoy dota2 which i play at a high level aswell but getting a good team that is dedicated to get better at dota2 is just hard to find. So instead i just chose to do speedruns, its hard, challenging, and I also get to play games that i played as a kid that i loved.

There is that special feel that when you break a game that you knew before that you didn't know you could break.

I personally like the idea of just doing glitches and the fact that doing the glitches are hard, that's why i chose rather hard games to speedrun (twilight princess, wind waker)

But my goal mainly is to get a WR, but even more somebody to beat that WR in order to get it back. Many speedrunners lose a lot of interest in the game once they get WR so they are usually very happy when somebody takes it back.

But some people speedrun for different reasons;
Nerd

Me?
I want to go fast. /riccky Bobby

Velcro Fly

I used to casually run Mega Man 3 a long long time ago. I timed myself using the stopwatch on my phone it was so long ago. To me it was fun to see if I could beat my own time. MM3 is easily one of my favorite games so being able to keep playing it over and over and over was fun. I'd sit down and do one complete run per day no resets to see how fast I could do it. The fun of playing my favorite game and trying to beat my time was enough. Was never concerned about having a world record or anything.

When games like Rayman Origins or even coin rush in NSMB2 put in some sort of time trial it's really fun.

12 hours later edit: Cosmo is on a run right now. Decent chance he'll PB but I'm not sure about the WR. He did make a ton of mistakes in the last third of the game in his PB but I'm not sure if he can save enough time.

Velcro Fly

I cry every time a new WR is set that I haven't played this game. It looks so beautiful. I need to find a GCN copy.

edit: Best part of Cosmo setting the WW WR is speedrunning Keen during the credits

Wind waker time getting lower all the time, congrats to cosmo, again.

He had some dirty poor parts in his run too, fix those up and you could knock another 2 minutes off that.

In response to the OOT challenge race the other day, if you enjoyed watching that you should check out saturday OOT bingo races, it's a very similar thing and requires you to gain / unlock things to fill a bingo board, crazy stuff.

Did anyone tune in for the metroid hunters crew 24 hour? best thing about the weekend was darkspinesonic finding wrong warps to the credits in sonic 2006 lol, so good.

The way they were talking at the start of the Lost Levels race, it was like none of them had played Super Mario Bros. before.

I'd also forgotten how bad Trihex is with his gay slurs. Every other word in that race was "ugh that's gay", "faggot", "go eat a big sloppy dick." I know there's not really malice behind it and I'm not saying he's some queerbashing homophobe or whatever, 'cause my sister's the same and it's just kind of ingrained language for some people that age, I just hadn't watched him in a while so I forgot how cringe inducing he can be with it.

JoeFu

Banned
Won't be a speed run, but cosmo's going to play WWHD tonight!

also he retweeted me omg omg omg

too bad I typed to wrong day out in the tweet :(

TUSR

Banned
Won't be a speed run, but cosmo's going to play WWHD tonight!

also he retweeted me omg omg omg

too bad I typed to wrong day out in the tweet :(

thanks for posting that info here, ill be sure to check it out. hopefully twitch lag is gone

Just a small thought, it's been a while since cosmo went to bed, he seems to sleep for 24 hours quite often lol. Not too healthy to sleep that long all the time which is not helping the dark colour under his eyes.

RoboSparkle made a new WR/PB in robocod 2 today while doing a robocod marathon so that was cool.

http://www.twitch.tv/robo_sparkle/c/2970638

belushy

Banned
I really hope Cosmo and other WW runners are not discouraged with WWHD with no Wind Waker dive. I feel like they should go on full-on glitch finding/testing mode. I feel like there is still chance storage is in the game in some capacity.

I really hope Cosmo and other WW runners are not discouraged with WWHD with no Wind Waker dive. I feel like they should go on full-on glitch finding/testing mode. I feel like there is still chance storage is in the game in some capacity.

Has anyone tried to do a super fast run in HD yet? earning the super sail seems to be out of the way more then a bought item which sucks, i'd say the runs would be something like an hour longer then cube until more stuff is found.

GG-Duo

Cosmo Wright apologizes to Mirrored for AGDQ2013
https://twitter.com/cosmowright/status/382331723872088064

To Mirrored (and to a lesser extent, the speedrun community):

January 2013, the night of my Wind Waker run for charity, a lot went wrong. What went wrong resulted in you disappearing from the community for a long time. You showed up briefly, but you probably didn't feel welcome or enthusiastic to continue participating with speedrunning.

This could have been avoided if I had communicated with you before the event on how we should handle the commentary. I feel awful about it. After my run I went back to my room in tears thinking about the ramifications about what just happened. I was also angry and wrote some things that I regret. I should have taken the time to cool down. That week in general was really bad for me (some people were harassing me via the phone as they had gotten my cellphone #) and that night pushed me over the edge.

I'm sorry I never talked to you about what happened as I think we both suffered from it. Unfortunately due to my popularity at the time a number of people rushed to defend my actions while vilifying yours. This must have been extremely shitty for you, much worse than it was on me. It must have been especially awful after you had spent so much effort preparing for AGDQ, making the triforce prize, etc.

In the past, some people were hating on you because of your streams making mistake logs out of my runs (which were very helpful and interesting), or other parts of your stream personality (wearing a suit, whistling, etc). These are stupid reasons to hate somebody and I never saw negativity in having a personality. Sadly this community definitely has people who will jump on people in a negative way due to things like this (I remember MC Gamer had a rocky start as people were trying to hate on him at first). Sadly this attitude is still around today and I'm not really sure what I can do against it.

I am not a perfect person and what happened in January hugely reflects that. I feel like I am extremely polarizing in fact. People pick sides. People will either hate me or mindlessly defend me. It is a stressful existence to be in sometimes. I've learned to deal with this over the last 9 months, but it has been hard. One of my best friends ended up feeling a large amount of animosity towards me partially due to the amount of people mindlessly defending me. A lot has happened.

I realize this is perhaps way too late and you are simply gone from the community, though I think I've seen your IRC bot around a bit. If you are still out there I hope you read this and even if you don't want to come back I hope you understand that I mishandled the situation and you shouldn't feel guilt about it. A lack of communication was the true issue at hand, and I had been off hanging out with other people during the week and so we never properly organized anything.

I still absolutely love what I do and I want to continue to stream and run games. I've been trying to just forget this entire mishap ever happened but I felt the need to address it both publicly and directly to you. Maybe now we can forgive and forget.

- Cosmo Wright

The guy is a generous class act. Man.

(Oh, by the way, I think he's going to speedrun both WW and WWHD)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Thats good on cosmo. Cosmo might have done nothing wrong but his legion of followers didnt make it easy on mirrored afterwards.

500 dollar donation..jeebus

lol @ at apologizing to someone when they were the one who acted like a fucking asshole and ruined everything.

Is this "beta" logic everyone speaks of?

Velcro Fly

Cosmo is a nice and agreeable guy. It took 9 months for this and it's probably a bit of an overreaction to people on 4chan harassing people learning Wind Waker or Wind Waker HD or something. Dude gets like 5k viewers to watch him play anything. Of course some of them are going to be awful.

I agree in part that most of what happened resulted from Mirrored not knowing what exactly Cosmo wanted him to say but seriously Cosmo told him to shut up and the dude did for maybe 15 minutes and was right back at it. It didn't help that AGDQ and speedrunning in general got huge around that point. I don't think Cosmo should have to apologize for other people treating this dude like crap though. Everyone saw what happened. It was only logical this dude was not going to stick around in the speedrunning community after AGDQ. Nothing Cosmo could have said now or then would have prevented that. Again AGDQ was way bigger than I think anyone would believe and basically making an ass of yourself is humiliating enough. Doing it at the expense of a super popular runner and all around nice guy is just the perfect storm.

People rabidly defend Cosmo because he's such a nice person. He isn't some mega douche that wants to rule speedrunning or screams into his mic or says offensive things to get viewers. People genuinely like the guy because he's mellow, easygoing, informative, actually nice to his chat (and used to have a great chat). But he's so non confrontational about things that people feel like they need to defend him big time otherwise he just won't say anything. I guess that's what kids call "beta" nowadays but I think he just wants to be pleasant and polite to everyone. Even when people got his cell phone number off his personal website that he used for the actual work he used to do the most he would say was that it was annoying and that he wished people would just stop. He seemed more disappointed than mad that people would bother him.

Seronei

Has anyone tried to do a super fast run in HD yet? earning the super sail seems to be out of the way more then a bought item which sucks, i'd say the runs would be something like an hour longer then cube until more stuff is found.
gymnast86 has beaten it in 5:06 already. Dunhamcw is also going to do some runs. Cosmo beat it in under 5 hours without dry storage, the differences between that and HD is only the DRC zombiehover, DRC boss key skip, soup glitch, Helmaroc skip(long hover), wind temple boss key skip and cabana skip. But you save a lot of time due to fast sail and 8 less charts to collect.

gymnast86 has beaten it in 5:06 already. Dunhamcw is also going to do some runs. Cosmo beat it in under 5 hours without dry storage, the differences between that and HD is only the DRC zombiehover, DRC boss key skip, soup glitch, Helmaroc skip(long hover), wind temple boss key skip and cabana skip. But you save a lot of time due to fast sail and 8 less charts to collect.

That's quite a reasonable time, I was expecting to see 6 hour runs again without dry storage playing part.

Velcro Fly

Werster sounded like he was going to have an asthma attack or go into cardiac arrest or something as he got 1:55 in Pokemon Yellow.

Glad werster got that time. The alternative is some jerk that only cares about getting donations, getting WRs, and beating werster. Just a horrible attitude for someone in the speedrunning community to have.

Razma1

Werster was blowing his load constantly at the end of it. Good times. That other dude who had the record was super annoying I watched the VOD of his run.

Mistermv has a 34:00 minute run of ducktales remastered (ingame time) which is a lot slower then the nes version but still damn quick.

Werster was blowing his load constantly at the end of it. Good times. That other dude who had the record was super annoying I watched the VOD of his run.

I just watched the last 15 minutes of his 1:55 yellow run since I missed the end the other day.

Werster in hype mode is so funny, always makes me laugh :lol

Top Bottom