• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer doesn’t see a need for a Series X Pro yet

ManaByte

Gold Member

Microsoft Corp.’s video gaming chief Phil Spencer said he doesn’t “feel an imperative” to come out with a major upgrade of its Xbox game console.

“That’s not the feedback we’re getting right now,” Spencer said in an interview with Bloomberg News shortly after the company hosted its annual Xbox Games Showcase on Sunday in Los Angeles. “Right now, we’re pretty set on the hardware we have.”

Twitter insider to claim a Pro is coming in 3….2…1…

Thats because the name of the Series X upgrade isn't the "Pro", it going to be named the Xbox Series XXX

Neon Sign GIF by Trés She
Sexy Hot Girl GIF

Schmick

What exactly would a Pro give you? Starfield is supposedly CPU bound and the Pro's from the PS4/XBO era did not have upgraded CPU's (albeit slightly faster clock speeds). Its likely Pro version consoles this current gen wouldn't have upgraded CPU's either.

I was saying the same thing months before announcing the scorpio project - one X, it would be curious to see how it does to have a 4 - 12 - 24 console? tflops.

Bond007

I agree.
Doesn't mean I believe him.

I think COVID shortages really got this generation off to a slow start due to availability/shortages. The timeline for any PRO console across the board should be pushed further down the line if you are hellbent on releasing one. I'm good shying away from mid-gen releases.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What exactly would a Pro give you? Starfield is supposedly CPU bound and the Pro's from the PS4/XBO era did not have upgraded CPU's (albeit slightly faster clock speeds). Its likely Pro version consoles this current gen wouldn't have upgraded CPU's either.
They can go ways with the CPU, given what is in consoles like ROG Ally or many mini PCs, they are probably more powerful than what is in PS5/XSX, especially when not gimped by power.

He is right. They need to stop overcomplicating things. If customers want to play their games with better performance then they should just buy a PC.
This^

Since they are releasing first party games day one on PC they view PC as the "pro" option for people who want more customization.

Most people on console just want to turn on a game, crack open a beer and play games they don't care about tinkering with graphic options.

DeaDPo0L84

Peoples assumption that a Pro model would immediately alleviate any issues with the current console are a bit misguided. Maybe they have internally looked at producing a Pro model but realized that in order to make one that could fix all the current issues it would be too expensive so there is no point. Consoles are still popular due to performance to cost ratio. If a Pro model is suddenly $1,500 just to run Starfield @ 60fps I don't think that justifies it from a manufacturing standpoint.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Things are gonna get interesting if there is a PS5 Pro...

But yeah, some of us said MS already did the mid gen refresh, it's called the Series X.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Inertia to jump onto a mid-gen upgrade will be larger on Xbox because they're dealing with 2 current-gen models and performance targets already.
At the very least, they'll need to wait until the XBOne is fully shelved for new games otherwise they run the risk of getting ignored by developers.

Imagine you're a developer and your game is targeting somewhere between a 1.3TFLops GCN GPU and a 24 TFLOPs RDNA3/4 GPU.

mortal

Gold Member
Good call. Xbox needs to focus on building up demand with these forthcoming releases.
Plenty of buzz and excitement around several titles, so that's a good sign if any.

A Sereis Pro model at this point in time would be putting the cart before the horse.

Last edited:
Starfield 30fps

(Note, i dont want pro refreshes ever again, but dont spout off that it isnt needed when your biggest game cant hit 60fps and dont tell me it was intentional anymore)
It could probably hit 60 FPS on the series X but the option just wont be there day one.

More graphic options = more resources and dev time, they have to make trade offs to get games out sooner. That's why the 60 FPS option usually comes after a game is released.

When you look at that starfield showcase and see all the stuff they are cramming into the game I am sure getting 60 FPS on console day one was the least of their worries.

TheShocker

I want two things from this current gen:

To stop supporting last gen hardware.
No “pro” models of either console, when last gen is still being supported.

Give us two solid years of current gen exclusives and then talk about a refresh.

Darsxx82

Right now, we’re pretty set on the hardware we have.”

That is, he is not denying the possibility. The illogical thing would have been for him to say that they are making an Xbox Series Z and thereby invite people to wait and that would affect the sales of the current X/S.

I have no doubt that by the end of 2024 we will see new "pro" consoles. This generation is going to be very, very long.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Starfield 30fps

(Note, i dont want pro refreshes ever again, but dont spout off that it isnt needed when your biggest game cant hit 60fps and dont tell me it was intentional anymore)
Since is Bethesda, there's a big chance that is just not good programing or the "director choice" bullshit. I really doubt that a Fallout 4-ish game can't do 60fps on the SX

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Going by all his interviews the past several weeks, this sounds like there is a demand issue, thus it would not be profitable for said product at the moment.

But again, his statement was ambiguous and wasn't a hard no. Just in current year. Next year or the year after things change, obviously. Especially when they just released a stealth price increase on their weakest box.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I dunno.

Xbox will be in a really awkward spot if Sony comes out with a PS5 Pro in a year and Xbox has no answer for it.

Kokoloko85

What would they do with the Series S if they made a Xpro?
Either way, hopefully we get a PS5 Pro
He is right. They need to stop overcomplicating things. If customers want to play their games with better performance then they should just buy a PC.
I enjoyed the PS4 Pro. Made a good difference to the games and it didnt bother the devs too much. Id love a stronger PS5 later in the gen, nice trade in with the PS5 disced version

Wooxsvan

Starfield 30fps

I do want pro consoles and if the recent trends continue it makes his statement silly IMO.

JackMcGunns

Starfield 30fps

I'm sure that was a choice and it makes sense given the scope of the game and it's long term plan. Skyrim has been played across multiple hardware and over a decade. Running 4K 60fps today would mean severly under-utilized hardware later, but before we note that 30fps is some kind of mistake, lets find out if it's a stable 30fps first, how the game design works at that framerate and if the reason they chose that target (massive open world across start systems) is worth it.

Killer8

The reee-ing about Starfield being 30fps is amusing. Did people seriously believe that as the generation went on and technology was pushed harder, developers wouldn't need to start lowering the 60fps target down to 30fps? Like every generation before it? The game looks absolutely stunning and is likely pushing the CPU incredibly hard. Were people just not paying attention when Bethesda mentioned there are 1000 planets with that level of fidelity?

Developers are stuck in a catch-22 situation. If they continue targeting 60fps, then people complain that the generation isn't a big enough upgrade, that it's just last gen quality with higher framerates and resolution. Then people go gaga over the visuals in Unreal Engine 5 tech demos - "where are all the next-gen games like this?" they cry. But a demo like The Matrix is only possible with 30fps with the hardware we have. People then bitch and moan that they cannot have their cake and eat it too, ie. that level of fidelity, at 4K, and at 60fps. So the platform holders now have to design Pro consoles to provide that. But then the Pro consoles cost $800+, and very few of the people who bitched and moaned buy them anyway, so the developers still end up targetting the base consoles regardless.

Stuart360

Well last yeah he confirmed they had multiple consoles in development, and i find it hard to believe one of them wont be a Pro model.
Or maybe they dont intend to release it for another couple of years. I'm convinced there will be another 5 ot 6 years before we get next gen consoles.

Fbh

Starfield is 30fps
Jedi Survivor drops to like 600p in performance mode
A Plague Tale in performance mode makes massive cuts to foliage, LOD and animates NPCs at like 20fps if you aren't standing next to them

Pro consoles aren't a necessity but we are getting more and more games that could definitely make good use of them.
But no company will tell you they are working on a pro model until they are ready to announce it. They want you to buy what they have on offer now, not wait for a pro model in a year or two.

Top Bottom