• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer doesn’t see a need for a Series X Pro yet

Pop

Ol Phil better rethink that. Looking like 30 fps is becoming the norm on his more powerful console

I mean they already have a two console approach I would love to see a Series Z because I disagree with anyone who says we don't need it as next-gen get more demanding 30 fps will be the norm for AAA. If Sony ends up launching a 20+ tflop machine next year I'm sure they'll receive a lot of feedback then Phil can come on stage and say his classic line "we've heard you" and introduce a 30 tflop monster

Stare-Bear

Banned
I think the split between Series S and X is about 70/30. It would be a waste of time and money to try to get your casual Series S gamer to pay for a more expensive console.

Moses85

Start selling your current Flagship.. with this target you have enough homework to do

Cracking Up Lol GIF

kevm3

Smart on his part. We're barely using the current power as is. Everything is stuck in this cross-gen mode

Luigi Mario

Sounds like "for now" PR.

If Sony comes out with a Pro and Xbox doesn't...well, there isn't enough popcorn in the world.
Could be the case, but Xbox staff like Greenberg and Spencer also have to know how their fan base is going to take statements like this.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Smart on his part. We're barely using the current power as is. Everything is stuck in this cross-gen mode
Their two big games this year (Redfall and Starfield) are both 30 fps and are next gen. Sounds like the consoles are underpowered to me.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Digital Foundry talked about Pro consoles in their podcast and they said only a Pro console with FS3 would make any sense. So they are quite unlikely.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lol
Spencer tends to be very good at doing that. Telling people want they want to hear.

Well the xbox devision delivered a great console...with awesome features like quick resume...suffered on the software side with covid but now seem to be on track ro deliver a consistent output of top shelf games....it just took a while.

If we have dope games in 18 months he's done a great job.

Think about it. This gen has just started, we finally saw next gen games from everyone this summer. Third parties delivering with ubisoft etc...I think its just taken a while to get this gen going thanks to the shite pandemic.

I just hope the x comes considerably later tha Ln the pro. Give me a big step up.
What's considerably later? Looking at history the One X launched 3 years before a new generation so 2025 with next-genarriving 2028? I think that'll line up perfectly and it'll come in more powerful than the PS5 Pro with a year later launch

fermcr

There is no need for mid-gen console upgrade. In 3-4 years (2026-2027) we are ready for a new next gen console. Releasing a mid-gen console upgrade next year would only delay the next gen launch...

Knightime_X

A pro would need to be absolutely ridiculously strong to warrant another purchase for the exact same console.
The pro in ps4 pro was hardly "pro" at all.

Checkerboard resolution.
Some games STILL 30fps
lmfao
No Way Kg GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Last edited:

Fredrik

Interesting.....wonder how things will go if the PS5 Pro rumors are accurate.
Instant chaos at MS headquarter unless they can push something out within minimum 1 year.

I guess they could tweak the PR and claim that a PC is kinda their constant Pro when everything comes out on PC day 1. But hardware prices needs to go dooooown.

The cost of the GFX card need to bring PC-style raytracing at 60 FPS means, we'll have to wait for the next-gen of consoles to offer that.
So Phil is right there is no need for a Pro given the current consoles have decent GPUs at the mo

Dunnas

Their two big games this year (Redfall and Starfield) are both 30 fps and are next gen. Sounds like the consoles are underpowered to me.
No, one of their 2 big games this year (I'd hardly call Redfall a big game) is 4k60 with raytraced reflections.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Like the PC market?
The 1.3TFLOPs GCN1.0 equivalent on PC is the Radeon HD 7770 2GB and subsequent refreshes.

When was the last time you saw the HD7770 2GB as minimum requirement for a graphically intensive game? Do you think you'll find one going forward?

Even Diablo 4, which isn't at all a graphically intensive game and has rock bottom requirements for 2023, is asking for a HD7950 3GB which is a >3 TFLOPs graphics card.

Kumomeme

from Giant Bomb stream:
sometimes the team has a focus that they're just...'hey we can only support two or three platforms' and they're kind of reducing development risk. It is real, every platform you add, adds more work to the development team.

probably he aware that devs already need to do work on 2 Xbox console at same times, not counting PC.

Xbox Series Pro would make it become 3 simultaneusly

Top Bottom