• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 is the buggiest Sony AAA release ever

ManaByte

Gold Member
Finished Spider-Man 2 last night, and it's seriously great. Better than both the original and Miles, and Insomniac did an AMAZING job melding two iconic late-80s Spider-Man stories while including modern canon elements to make it familiar to current comic readers. They seriously made a better Kraven movie than Sony Pictures will, and it's inspired by one of the greatest Kraven stories of all time. Despite one brief moment in the third act where I was fearing the pacing would go down a TLOU2 LA drudge, it didn't and the ending was great. They nailed the dual-protagonist sequel so many other developers fail at (looking at you, Atreus levels).

But the game is broken, even with the day one patch. It's super frustrating because from the first Uncharted until now I've NEVER played a first-party Sony AAA release this broken. They used to be close to Nintendo perfection, but this is really bad.

It really feels like the game needed another 4-6 months in the oven. Like it was really meant to be an early 2024 release (Feb/March), but was rushed out for holiday 2023 because they didn't have anything else big this year.

Bugs I ran into from beginning to end:

Hard crashes to the dash. Just swinging around New York. Random times.
Frozen controls. Mostly when it transitions from a cut scene to gameplay and often if there's a prompt on screen for a specific move. Have to reload a checkpoint to progress.
Both Peter and Miles spinning like Michael Jackson when trying to interact with a box/POI (the triangle prompt):
52lU.gif

Enemies getting stuck in cars/buses and they can't be killed to complete the crime POI.
Enemies getting stuck under the ground, causing you to reload the checkpoint and restart the whole encounter (happened to me at Coney Island, one robo dog was stuck under the ground).
Those T-stuck animations.
There are certain enviromental things late in the game (spoilers to describe them) that can cause Peter or Miles to get stuck, again causing a checkpoint reload.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

I saw a few people complain on Reddit and a few of the metacritic users who gave a 0 complained about bugs too. Curious to see if Sony/Insomniac will answer and if the problem is that common.

Last edited:

X-Wing

I haven't had any of that.
I do have film grain disabled and play in performance mode, but don't think that really matters.

Laieon

I'm not that far into it, the only bug I've run into at this point is I couldn't get the prompt to pop up when you're pulling a certain someone out of a limo.

Rockman33

Returnal for me was really buggy when it launched. Multiple crashes and being stuck in rooms. Extra annoying because I’d have to restart the whole run….

It was a real bummer because I LOVED that game.

Certinty

It’s bad. I had more bugs in my 30 hours getting the platinum in this than the 100+ I put in the first two games combined.

Two situations where the sound just randomly stopped. UI sound was still there so the game bugged one. Had to close the game and open it up again.

Game crashed twice after missions and kicked me back to the PS5 menu.

Enemies stuck in buildings far more often that they should have. Thankfully never bad enough to make me reload.

Game telling me to do something (e.g. use an ability and won’t let me proceed until I do) but said ability won’t work.

Quite a few more minor issues but it’s definitely a buggy game to say the least.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i gad 1 crash when i died, but i do get 2 times softlock and have to restart checkpoint

So far im 65% in.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well ok, but 91 Metacritic and completable on disc, though.

/s

But seriously, I've put some time into it and I've only seen a few odd glitches. Mostly LODs not being replaced when I get close and lip sync and subtitle sync issues. And had a weird thing where I put brand new suits on both characters and then a cutscene started and they're wearing tattered versions of those suits. Nothing breaking, though.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Ratchet and Clank was pretty buggy for me too, but they fixed that quickly. The game came out in lockdown, so you could expect something like that. Spiderman 2 don't have many more bugs, but I often get stuck in the geometry.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
At 50% completion and I've had two hard crashes but I figured that was my launch PS5, it's always had issues.

Not seen anything else, not once had to restart a checkpoint due to a bug. 4-6 months extra dev sounds like crazy talk.

Each to their own. Some people want to beat a game as fast as they can to resell it without muss loss. Spider-Man 2 is not from Nintendo so the price will drop fast.

There is no chance it has any kind of sale before Black Friday at the end of November. Even that is questionable for this game. I remember God of War Ragnarok took a long time to get a decent sale, at least in Canada.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I will now just wait till next year to get the game. Will wait for patches and discounts.

Hell, still didn’t even start new Cyberpunk play through with the expansion as I am waiting to see if someone can mod out stupid level scaling there.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had to restart the game when Peter froze and I couldn’t tear the rock in two. A couple glitches here and there. The rock bit was the worst.
Finish the story then go back and do all of the side stuff for the Platinum.
I know a few people who lose interest in the game once they complete it, so they try to get a lot of it in before they roll the credits.

SkylineRKR

Returnal for me was really buggy when it launched. Multiple crashes and being stuck in rooms. Extra annoying because I’d have to restart the whole run….

It was a real bummer because I LOVED that game.

Yep Returnal was absolutely the worst. The game would crash a ton, and many times I had good rolls when it happened. Mind you these were hard crashes to the point I didn't want to play the game for a while.

The performance would slowly but surely cripple when playing from rest mode too, eventually resulting in a crash. After the 2.0 update with the save feature this was fixed.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It'll be the same kinda people who blow through the main story in a day and a half and spout "70 BUCKS FOR NO CONTENT OMFG".
The main story only lasts a day and a half, though. That's not "blowing through" it. That's just how long it takes. There are lots of side missions and some of them are pretty fun.

Each to their own. Some people want to beat a game as fast as they can to resell it without muss loss. Spider-Man 2 is not from Nintendo so the price will drop fast.
I often sell games too after I've beaten them, sure. Beating blockbuster PS5 games in two days or two months won't make a difference for the price though.

Top Bottom